2017-2018 University of California - San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes he said its possible that we'll get a call the day before the interview but if we can't make it with that short of a notice, they will find a way for us to interview.

sooo. you're saying we should all keep our suits in the car just in case they call?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I haven't heard anything from UCSD. My communication status says that my File is complete and will be forwarded for Review. I guess they don't even want to look at me.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1. If I decide to apply to Med School in my next life, I'm going to make sure that it's after I've moved out of California.

Reactions: 1 users
To my fellow 1/25 interviewees, does anyone remember the name of the gentleman who lead the wrap up meeting at the end of the day?

So just to clear things up... no open interviews are left and the only people that still have a shot are the 200-300 people left that are on hold? And that’s only if someone cancels their interview? Lol we’re so done....

So just to clear things up... no open interviews are left and the only people that still have a shot are the 200-300 people left that are on hold? And that’s only if someone cancels their interview? Lol we’re so done....
bingo, i called them a few days ago to confirm this and they said all interviews are booked and ppl on hold are only on reserve for cancellations lol

bingo, i called them a few days ago to confirm this and they said all interviews are booked and ppl on hold are only on reserve for cancellations lol
Lol this is almost an offensive place to be

Reactions: 1 user
To my fellow 1/25 interviewees, does anyone remember the name of the gentleman who lead the wrap up meeting at the end of the day?

not a 1/25 interviewee, but I think the guy you're talking about is Brian Zeglen

Does anyone know how soon after acceptances we are able to waitlist for housing? The waitlist for Mesa Nueva is getting longer by the day :scared:.

Does anyone know how soon after acceptances we are able to waitlist for housing? The waitlist for Mesa Nueva is getting longer by the day :scared:.
Mesa Nueva's waitlist is 2 years, so I would recommend getting on the waitlist for one of the other complexes asap...those waitlists are around 5-6 months.
Edit: You're able to sign up for housing here: Grads, Professional Students & Families | HDH | HDH Housing | Near UCSD Campus
so really you can waitlist for housing as soon as you find out you're accepted!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mesa Nueva's waitlist is 2 years, so I would recommend getting on the waitlist for one of the other complexes asap...those waitlists are around 5-6 months.
Edit: You're able to sign up for housing here: Grads, Professional Students & Families | HDH | HDH Housing | Near UCSD Campus

Thank you so much. It says med/pharm students get priority housing, do you know if we need to do anything extra for that?

Does anyone get rejected post-II or is everyone that's not offered an acceptance just waitlisted?

Does anyone get rejected post-II or is everyone that's not offered an acceptance just waitlisted?

Brian did mention that there would be rejections post interview at our interview date. That being said, the school website also mentions that 1/6 of those interviewed are rejected.

Rejected just now pre-II. Complete mid August. Aw poop.

Placed on hold a few days ago. Prob joining the R crew soon.

Rejected pre-II (without hold). good luck to everyone left!!

was placed on hold this morning...lol better than a rejection I guess?

Also on hold, better than an R! Praying for favor and grace to come sweep me from this hold, ha

you don't have to wait for an acceptance to apply for the waitlist. i applied in december the day of my interview because of how much demand there is for on-campus housing

you don't have to wait for an acceptance to apply for the waitlist. i applied in december the day of my interview because of how much demand there is for on-campus housing
Oh I didn't know that! Tbh I wasn't even sure I would end up at UCSD after how my MMI went haha :(

There's a section of the application that asks you if you are currently enrolled or accepted.
"If applying as a student, you must be enrolled or officially accepted to UCSD before applying"

There's a section of the application that asks you if you are currently enrolled or accepted.
"If applying as a student, you must be enrolled or officially accepted to UCSD before applying"

So if I'm lucky enough to get accepted from the UCSD waitlist, I'm probably still in a pretty bad situation housing-wise?

In any case, I'd be ecstatic to go; fingers still crossed!

weird, i don't remember that being there last year. nearly everybody in my class put in their application months before they decided on UCSD since the housing is so tight. sorry about the confusion

So if I'm lucky enough to get accepted from the UCSD waitlist, I'm probably still in a pretty bad situation housing-wise?

if you do get accepted, a trick to move up the housing waitlist is to set a very early move in date. you may have to pay a couple months extra rent when you are not physically there, but it is worth it 1) to get housing so near campus and in a nice grad community and 2) to get housing that is considerably cheaper than any other independent option. the upfront cost is more but long-term you'd save quite a bit

if you do get accepted, a trick to move up the housing waitlist is to set a very early move in date. you may have to pay a couple months extra rent when you are not physically there, but it is worth it 1) to get housing so near campus and in a nice grad community and 2) to get housing that is considerably cheaper than any other independent option. the upfront cost is more but long-term you'd save quite a bit

Thanks for the advice!

You probably won't get your first choice housing, but I remember hearing from current students on my interview day that the admin tries very hard to find everyone housing during their first two years. Plus, med students get priority over everyone. I wouldn't say all hope is lost :)

What housing would you recommend second to Mesa Nueva?

You probably won't get your first choice housing, but I remember hearing from current students on my interview day that the admin tries very hard to find everyone housing during their first two years. Plus, med students get priority over everyone. I wouldn't say all hope is lost :)

Awesome, thanks! Good to know they take good care of their med students

For those who have interviewed: did you talk the whole 8 minutes for each station?

Anyone know what time they typically release decisions?

This might be the first year where nobody on hold got an II...