2017-2018 University of Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Regarding the grade upgrades, can anyone verify if this is the right choice (0.7 sem or 1.0 Qtr) for a course taken in one quarter?
I'm a bit thrown off because of the other options (such as 4.7 sem or 7.0 Qtr) cuz I can't think of situations other than 1 Qtr or 1 sem being used

I can't answer your question but if you're handing out some grade upgrades I'll take one.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Final Pooled as well...... application has been withdrawn as I have been accepted by my top choice. Good luck to everyone!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Final Pooled as well...... application has been withdrawn as I have been accepted by my top choice. Good luck to everyone!!!!

I remember you from last year on this school's thread...glad you've had a successful cycle this year =)

Lol this is the only school that requires you to sign in, just to view your rejection letter. The rudeness is real

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected. I like how we have to download the rejection so we’ll always be reminded of it

Reactions: 2 users
It is my understanding that last Friday was Carver's last day of interviews for the cycle, so any applicant who did not get an interview will get a rejection at this point. They are now looking at the final pool.

Accepted today!! Interviewed 12/18, got the e-mailed to check the portal and thought it was a rejection...quite the surprise!!

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted today!! Interviewed 12/18, got the e-mailed to check the portal and thought it was a rejection...quite the surprise!!

Congrats! Were you final pooled first?

Anyone know when financial aid packages start to go out?

Would a current student be willing to talk about their experience with case-based learning specifically at Carver and some of the pros and cons? Thank you!

Current student here. Are you asking about the pros and cons of CBL or of the school in general?
Pros of CBL:
- You learn a lot about a wide variety of topics. I've carried info from topics I covered in class into clerkships and found it very useful.
- The class itself is a break from the pre-clinical grind.
- It's only once a week and you're with the same folks each semester. Groups are mixed up again second semester.
- Great foundation for clinical reasoning
- You make connections with faculty members.

Cons:
- There's a bit of a learning curve when you start off in terms of figuring out how long you need to prepare for each session. Most people get in a groove within the first few weeks.
- Experience can vary by facilitator.
- Umm...it's right before lunch?

As great as CBL is, it's only a part of the curriculum during the first year. If I were considering Carver, I wouldn't weigh it too heavily in my decision.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys! Someone's started a class page for all those accepted. Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

Class of 2022

Any current students able to comment on the Honors/NH/P/F grading? It's the only aspect that concerns me a little.

As metrics for the rest, I interviewed early Nov, accepted mid Dec, OOS. GL to everyone waiting!

Any current students able to comment on the Honors/NH/P/F grading? It's the only aspect that concerns me a little.

As metrics for the rest, I interviewed early Nov, accepted mid Dec, OOS. GL to everyone waiting!
Honors is usually set around 90. NH varies. And passing is 70 usually sometimes 75. No one gets caught up in honoring vs passing. At least the people I surround myself with don't.

Reactions: 1 users
Besides the medical fraternities, does anyone know some apartments close to the school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides the medical fraternities, does anyone know some apartments close to the school?

There are apartments on, or adjacent to Newton Road (Valley, Lincoln) that are between the medical school (MERF) and the basketball arena. This area is popular with medical, dental, pharmacy, nursing and law students and employees of the hospital. You are about a half mile walk to the MERF and about the same to the hospital. If you ride your bike, you can literally go home for lunch. These apartments tend to be more costly because of the proximity to the school and hospital.

Another very popular option is the Aspire at West Campus apartment complex. Nice, newer construction. Similar to the modern college town apartment complexes in my undergrad town - with many amenities. Only downside is you need to take the campus bus as it is too far to walk to the MERF. Still on the pricier side due to new construction and amenities.

If cheap is your overarching requirement, there are numerous less expensive apartments or houses to rent in Iowa City. The downside is you will need to take the longer commute into account. By the way, don't think of driving your car and parking across the street from the MERF - you will pay the full daily rate. Just remember, you will likely be at the MERF or library studying late into the night...

Last edited:
There are apartments on, or adjacent to Newton Road (Valley, Lincoln) that are between the medical school (MERF) and the basketball arena. This area is popular with medical, dental, pharmacy, nursing and law students and employees of the hospital. You are about a half mile walk to the MERF and about the same to the hospital. If you ride your bike, you can literally go home for lunch. These apartments tend to be more costly because of the proximity to the school and hospital.

Another very popular option is the Aspire at West Campus apartment complex. Nice, newer construction. Similar to the modern college town apartment complexes in my undergrad town - with many amenities. Only downside is you need to take the campus bus as it is too far to walk to the MERF. Still on the pricier side due to new construction and amenities.

If cheap is your overarching requirement, there are numerous less expensive apartments or home to rent in Iowa City. The downside is you will need to take the longer commute into account. By the way, don't think of driving your car and parking across the street from the MERF - you will pay full rate. Just remember, you will likely be at the MERF or library studying late into the night...
This school’s thread consistently has the best q&a with current med students that I’ve seen on SDN. Thank you!

Anybody have any idea when we will hear back? The silence has been killing me slowly

Anybody have any idea when we will hear back? The silence has been killing me slowly
Final pool decisions should come out on Tuesday next week if the follow the same pattern as last year (being Tuesday of the week before their set deadline)

Reactions: 6 users
My apologies if this has been answered; do we know when second look is, and/or if there is one? Thanks in advance!

My apologies if this has been answered; do we know when second look is, and/or if there is one? Thanks in advance!

April 13-14 is second look weekend

Can someone please explain to me what the second look is? I'm in the final pool now - does this apply to me?

Can someone please explain to me what the second look is? I'm in the final pool now - does this apply to me?
Second look Day is an event for future students to meet and the school to sell itself to potential students who are currently accepted. If you get accepted from the final pool (and would be notified by March 15 as the email and portal stated) you would be invited to the optional second look weekend event...

If cheap is your overarching requirement, there are numerous less expensive apartments or houses to rent in Iowa City. The downside is you will need to take the longer commute into account. By the way, don't think of driving your car and parking across the street from the MERF - you will pay the full daily rate. Just remember, you will likely be at the MERF or library studying late into the night...
For the sake of variety, it should be noted that many students live outside of Iowa City in Coralville and even North Liberty. Many students study elsewhere besides MERF and the library.

Final pool decisions should come out on Tuesday next week if the follow the same pattern as last year (being Tuesday of the week before their set deadline)

This is a repost from January but here's what can/should happen with the final pool decisions!

"Typically final pool decisions are made on a Tuesday or Wednesday before March 15th, last year they were made on 3/8/17, so likely this year they would be around March 6th or 7th. The potential outcomes:
1) Accepted: This can be identified by the Rural tab on the portal popping up on the application portal
2) Denial
3) Waitlist: There are separate waitlists for both IS and OOS applicants. The IS is 50 spots and OOS is 100 spots. OOS waitlist spots seem to be strange in how many end up matriculating to CCOM and it has been as low as 4 and as high as 90 in years past. IS is a little more consistent, here’s the past few years:
2017- 29 spots
2016- 19 spots
2015 - 31 spots
2014 - 24 spots
2013 - 28 spots
2012 - 31 spots
2011 - 24 spots"

For those of us in-state, last cycle (2016-17) there were 413 Iowa residents that applied to medical schools while this year there were only 363 residents, so there were 12% fewer students that applied. I'm not really sure what this means for the final pool, but no matter what, good luck to everyone this week!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
This is a repost from January but here's what can/should happen with the final pool decisions!

"Typically final pool decisions are made on a Tuesday or Wednesday before March 15th, last year they were made on 3/8/17, so likely this year they would be around March 6th or 7th. The potential outcomes:
1) Accepted: This can be identified by the Rural tab on the portal popping up on the application portal
2) Denial
3) Waitlist: There are separate waitlists for both IS and OOS applicants. The IS is 50 spots and OOS is 100 spots. OOS waitlist spots seem to be strange in how many end up matriculating to CCOM and it has been as low as 4 and as high as 90 in years past. IS is a little more consistent, here’s the past few years:
2017- 29 spots
2016- 19 spots
2015 - 31 spots
2014 - 24 spots
2013 - 28 spots
2012 - 31 spots
2011 - 24 spots"

For those of us in-state, last cycle (2016-17) there were 413 Iowa residents that applied to medical schools while this year there were only 363 residents, so there were 12% less students that applied. I'm not really sure what this means for the final pool, but no matter what, good luck to everyone this week!

Is the rural tab only for those who applied for CRISP?

2) Denial
2017- 29 spots
2016- 19 spots
2015 - 31 spots
2014 - 24 spots
2013 - 28 spots
2012 - 31 spots
2011 - 24 spots"

For those of us in-state, last cycle (2016-17) there were 413 Iowa residents that applied to medical schools while this year there were only 363 residents, so there were 12% less students that applied. I'm not really sure what this means for the final pool, but no matter what, good luck to everyone this week!
Also, is the Rural tab just for IS or is it there for all applicants?

Has anyone seen the portal updated before the emails came? How much long before they got the email? Cuz won’t the email also just like say accepted?

Has anyone seen the portal updated before the emails came? How much long before they got the email? Cuz won’t the email also just like say accepted?
The portals will change in the morning I think. They’ll say something like “decisions are being uploaded” but the decisions won’t post until the afternoon, maybe around 2pm. You won’t get an email then. The portal will update and there is some lag between when the decision actually posts and when the email goes out. Also, the email won’t say anything other than check your portal for the decision.

The portals will change in the morning I think. They’ll say something like “decisions are being uploaded” but the decisions won’t post until the afternoon, maybe around 2pm. You won’t get an email then. The portal will update and there is some lag between when the decision actually posts and when the email goes out. Also, the email won’t say anything other than check your portal for the decision.
Ok thanks! Didn’t know what to expect since the final pool message came in full by email!