2017-2018 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have a most recent match list that is detailed (Has state and number in specialty)? I'm looking for percentages going into which specialty. I remember seeing a form from UNE COM but I either misplaced it or can longer find it online!

Members don't see this ad.

Still radio silence since my application was accepted. Would submitting additional LoRs from fellows and a UNE alumni physician I've been shadowing be helpful? Or is it too late?

PS My application was complete July 24th. Do they do silent rejections?

I had radio silence from them last year and I sent an email asking if they got my secondary. It somehow got lost in the shuffle, I resubmitted one and had an interview like two weeks later. Now am a first year student, reach out and let them know you're interested!

When I was waitlisted I gave them a call telling them I was still interested and had an acceptance letter two days later. They're receptive to prospective students reaching out.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have a most recent match list that is detailed (Has state and number in specialty)? I'm looking for percentages going into which specialty. I remember seeing a form from UNE COM but I either misplaced it or can longer find it online!
Here ya go!

Attachments

• PGY1 2017.pdf
    329.5 KB · Views: 167
Members don't see this ad :)
II on 10/18. My secondary was submitted 8/25. This will be my first time to Maine!

Received notification of an interview last week. According to the current thread, someone interviewed last year in November but the class was already filled? I have a mid-November interview. Should I aim for an earlier date? I am concerned that i will be wait listed with such a late date?

Good luck to everyone interviewing!

Last edited:
Received notification of an interview last week. According to the current thread, someone interviewed last year in November but the class was already filled? I have a mid-November interview. Should I aim for an earlier date? I am concerned that i will be wait listed with such a late date?

This is true that most interviews from mid November on went to the waitlist. But, there were a lot of my classmates accepted from it, even if they interviewed in March. So obviously the earlier the better, but you won’t be at a huge disadvantage.

Get earlier if at all possible. No harm in calling and see if earlier dates open up.

I'm about to book my travel for my mid nov interview. My schedule for the day is looking like it'll go from 12-4pm.

Two questions-
1. do we think it's ok to book a flight out of PWM that's set to leave at 7:25 pm? i feel like yes?
2. not sure what the schedule of this interview is like but do we think it's ok/will look alright if I bring my carry on to the interview? will there be a room or place for me to leave it? or should I leave it at my hotel...? just not sure if i can get back to my hotel in time to pick it up and make it to airport (and don't wanna deal with extra cabs if i don't have to)

I'm about to book my travel for my mid nov interview. My schedule for the day is looking like it'll go from 12-4pm.

Two questions-
1. do we think it's ok to book a flight out of PWM that's set to leave at 7:25 pm? i feel like yes?
2. not sure what the schedule of this interview is like but do we think it's ok/will look alright if I bring my carry on to the interview? will there be a room or place for me to leave it? or should I leave it at my hotel...? just not sure if i can get back to my hotel in time to pick it up and make it to airport (and don't wanna deal with extra cabs if i don't have to)

1. You will for sure be able to leave by 4pm, if you get a Uber in time, the drive is like 30 minutes.
2. You can bring your carry-on, there will not be a room for you to store but they reserve a table for us interviewees and so you can keep your stuff there.

Reactions: 1 users
II today for the end of November. OOS.

Two questions-

That flight time is fine, Portland airport is never crowded, security will take 5 minutes.

Members don't see this ad :)
P.S. I was looking at flights and very limited in my options with no direct flights and few times available. I emailed the school about my concerns about making my flight to see if I there are morning interviews or different dates. They were accommodating and helpful beyond what I asked which I definitely appreciated considering how far my travels are :)
Side note- I am afraid for the cold and am praying there won’t be snow cause I’ve never driven in it! Haha.

P.S. I was looking at flights and very limited in my options with no direct flights and few times available. I emailed the school about my concerns about making my flight to see if I there are morning interviews or different dates. They were accommodating and helpful beyond what I asked which I definitely appreciated considering how far my travels are :)
Side note- I am afraid for the cold and am praying there won’t be snow cause I’ve never driven in it! Haha.

Admissions office is great, glad to hear they're very accommodating. Snow probably won't be here until late November, early December but these will be flurries, the storms will be coming in Jan-Mar. That's apparently what happened in previous years. Snow plows do have a good reputation. As long as it's plowed and salted, you should be fine even in a car, it's just like driving in rain. (Unless you're from somewhere where there's no rain, then I'm a bit stumped on how to help :) )

Redeeming part of the cold weather is that classes are indoors, and hopefully you'll be studying indoors too and traveling to and from campus in a warm car. The seasons here are really just Summer and Winter so have a coat that you know you're gonna love. Stores like LL Bean are very popular here and more likely to have sales too.

Admissions office is great, glad to hear they're very accommodating. Snow probably won't be here until late November, early December but these will be flurries, the storms will be coming in Jan-Mar. That's apparently what happened in previous years. Snow plows do have a good reputation. As long as it's plowed and salted, you should be fine even in a car, it's just like driving in rain. (Unless you're from somewhere where there's no rain, then I'm a bit stumped on how to help :) )

Redeeming part of the cold weather is that classes are indoors, and hopefully you'll be studying indoors too and traveling to and from campus in a warm car. The seasons here are really just Summer and Winter so have a coat that you know you're gonna love. Stores like LL Bean are very popular here and more likely to have sales too.

I'm interview at the very end of November, but so long as it isn't crazy storms or anything I think I will be fine. Doesn't rain too often where I'm at...I'm realizing I applied to almost exclusively cold areas. I guess I need some change!
I'll take it as a good excuse for a new wardrobe ;) Thanks for the tips!

UNE COM doesn't do pass/fail, right?

Semester grades are Fail, Pass, High Pass, Honors. Assignment/Exam grades are Unsatisfactory (U), Needs Improvement (NI), Meets Expectations (M), and Exceeds Expectations (E).

For Clinical Skills, you get the assignment/exam grades and that gets put into a computer. The grades are reassigned a point value that then determines your final grade. For Medical Knowledge, the grading system is 'brand new' because this is the first year they want to use the Clinical Skills' approach so the formula for calculating final grades is basically unknown.

Big key to this is that exams/assignments are divided into components called competencies and you must pass each competency. So say for example, you take a test that includes Biochem, Genetics, and Pharm. You could get a 85% on the entire test, but completely bombed on Biochem. You are then considered either 'needs improvement' or 'unsatisfactory' in Biochem because you bombed that section, and you could get a U or NI for the whole test because of that. On the flip side, if say you got a 70% on the whole exam but 'meets or exceeds expectations' on each competency, then you will probably get a M or E on the exam.

BUT for the final grade, they use each competency, not the final exam grade. So each exam will produce multiple grades that factor into your final semester grade. So the final grades kinda don't count.

Yes, this is confusing, and yes lots of people are frustrated that it is confusing and not very transparent. My above explanation is what we think happens but we're honestly not 100% sure. The system is designed to not emphasize the grades (trying to remove the mentality of 'I only needed to study enough for one more point'), it is to emphasize understanding the material. The theory is, if you get the material, don't worry about the grades, they will fall into place and you will pass.

Personally, I like the idea and intent, I'm just annoyed at how confusing it is. Too stressful trying to figure it out so eventually I gave up and went back to studying, so I guess in that sense it works.

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed here a few weeks back, idk if it went well.. the interviewers were very serious and it kind of psyched me out. I am really wishing for an acceptance, I really liked the school. Everyone said the interview would be like a convo but I felt as if I was just being asked question after question. They did not ask me anything about my extracurricular (research, shadowing, global trip) etc.

Accepted today! Really liked it here. Interviewed October 11th. Heard back a lot sooner than I was expecting to.

Reactions: 2 users
I just wanted to talk about my interview experience at this school and if any one can comment I would appreciate it:
When I came in, the interviewers (3 ppl) were very serious, felt like a very tense environment. 1 interviewer (nurse practitioner) did not look up at me once. I noticed when I was speaking, no one was writing anything down. I found that odd because how would they remember what I said if no one was taking notes on my answers? Is this normal interviewer behavior? This was my first interview and all these things psyched me out but I tried to remain as composed, friendly, as possible.

Seems like they are interviewing a lot of people from out of the area this year.

So much for recruiting New England students first and foremost! (sorry, I'm salty).

Seems like they are interviewing a lot of people from out of the area this year.

So much for recruiting New England students first and foremost! (sorry, I'm salty).

The overwhelming amount of applicants and acceptances are from the area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a very far away out of state student, I am definitely in the minority. Most people are from around here.

As a very far away out of state student, I am definitely in the minority. Most people are from around here.

Where you from fam?

Those of us from out of New England are definitely the minority. Majority state is probably Boston, I know its not technically New England but a lot are also from upstate New York. With not being an East Coaster I definitely thought NY counted...but I have since learned that it does not. I am from very not around here. Like I am far enough from home that I will not be going home for Thanksgiving because of cost and the lack of time that even 5 days off allows.

I just wanted to talk about my interview experience at this school and if any one can comment I would appreciate it:
When I came in, the interviewers (3 ppl) were very serious, felt like a very tense environment. 1 interviewer (nurse practitioner) did not look up at me once. I noticed when I was speaking, no one was writing anything down. I found that odd because how would they remember what I said if no one was taking notes on my answers? Is this normal interviewer behavior? This was my first interview and all these things psyched me out but I tried to remain as composed, friendly, as possible.

oh wow. sorry that was your experience there :-/ i've been trying to gauge what their interview style is like and i've never heard of anyone having this kind of experience? is this common?

oh wow. sorry that was your experience there :-/ i've been trying to gauge what their interview style is like and i've never heard of anyone having this kind of experience? is this common?
I am not sure about other people, but for me, this interview was the most relaxing one I have ever had. We just talked about my personal life and one or two of my previous activities. To my surprise we even spent a few minutes talking about food around Biddeford and where I live... The time went by so fast that they did not even ask me Why medicine and why UNECOM (maybe they didn't plan on asking anyway). I also don't recall my interviewers writing things down as I speak, so I'm not sure in that regard, but I was accepted within two weeks after my interview so I guess that did not matter in the end. Hope you guys are getting similar interviews like I did.

This isn’t normal. My verrrrry first interview at NOVA was almost exactly like that (cold as ice, didn’t write anything down). I knew they had no intention of recommending me (technically the dean has final say, it’s pretty much unheard of to admit someone the adcom doesn’t like).
Another adcom at a different school confirmed my suspicions, sometimes students basically slip through the cracks and get interviews when the interviewers have no intentions of admitting you. The functionally equivalent alternative is for whatever reason your interviewers just REALLY didn’t like your app and had already made up heir minds.
I know it’s heart breaking but don’t let it get you down.
Regarding New England interviews I suspect there was some internal discussion on changing it up as they are known for being VERY conversational and laid back. Based on yours and my experiences I’d say they’re making a conscious effort to change that. Why I can’t say,

This is not at all a normal interview. And honestly I would ask that you please reach out to the admissions office and tell them about your experience. That is not the way we want our interview process to be viewed. As you know, we made it abundantly clear during the entire interview day that the interview won't be the way you described. I would definitely reach out to them and let them know what happened.

Recently accepted! If someone fails a competency do they fail the course and get dismissed? Do clinical skills have competencies too?

Semester grades are Fail, Pass, High Pass, Honors. Assignment/Exam grades are Unsatisfactory (U), Needs Improvement (NI), Meets Expectations (M), and Exceeds Expectations (E).

For Clinical Skills, you get the assignment/exam grades and that gets put into a computer. The grades are reassigned a point value that then determines your final grade. For Medical Knowledge, the grading system is 'brand new' because this is the first year they want to use the Clinical Skills' approach so the formula for calculating final grades is basically unknown.

Big key to this is that exams/assignments are divided into components called competencies and you must pass each competency. So say for example, you take a test that includes Biochem, Genetics, and Pharm. You could get a 85% on the entire test, but completely bombed on Biochem. You are then considered either 'needs improvement' or 'unsatisfactory' in Biochem because you bombed that section, and you could get a U or NI for the whole test because of that. On the flip side, if say you got a 70% on the whole exam but 'meets or exceeds expectations' on each competency, then you will probably get a M or E on the exam.

BUT for the final grade, they use each competency, not the final exam grade. So each exam will produce multiple grades that factor into your final semester grade. So the final grades kinda don't count.

Yes, this is confusing, and yes lots of people are frustrated that it is confusing and not very transparent. My above explanation is what we think happens but we're honestly not 100% sure. The system is designed to not emphasize the grades (trying to remove the mentality of 'I only needed to study enough for one more point'), it is to emphasize understanding the material. The theory is, if you get the material, don't worry about the grades, they will fall into place and you will pass.

Personally, I like the idea and intent, I'm just annoyed at how confusing it is. Too stressful trying to figure it out so eventually I gave up and went back to studying, so I guess in that sense it works.

Recently accepted! If someone fails a competency do they fail the course and get dismissed? Do clinical skills have competencies too?

So the competencies for Medical Knowledge are based on the idea of competencies that Clinical Skills already had in place. We are the first class that it’s been this way. That being said, at the end of each block and at the end of the semester, you get the chance to go through what is called a “competency assurance process” or CAP if you didn’t do well on any of the competencies.

Last edited:

Adding to allanMED15, according to the syllabus, you need to do a CAP if you don't 'meet expectations on a competency' and successfully complete it.

"Inadequate completion of the CAP requirements as assigned will result in a referral to the Committee on Student Progress (CSP) and failure in the course. A student who has failed the course will go on a Leave of Absence (LOA) as well as have a meeting with the CSP to decide if the student will at a later date, continue in medical school."

Note that we don't know what form this CAP will be in, and what they mean by 'inadequate completion' (i.e.. how many questions do we need to get right, etc.). Again this is the first year so no one knows how this will actually work.

Regarding New England interviews I suspect there was some internal discussion on changing it up as they are known for being VERY conversational and laid back. Based on yours and my experiences I’d say they’re making a conscious effort to change that. Why I can’t say,

I've interviewed at UNE twice. The first time (two years ago, waitlisted) was somewhat like @theydoubtedme's experience: I didn't feel like they were grilling me, but it wasn't really conversational as advertised. It was my first interview anywhere, and I was already nervous, so that plus the way the interview went led me to be a little awkward and stiff, and not like myself at all. Obviously I did better than I thought, since I wasn't outright rejected, but I never got off the waitlist either. I DID have a very adversarial interview at another school after my day at UNE; this was definitely not THAT bad in retrospect.)

My interview two weeks ago was COMPLETELY different, and exactly as UNE advertised. I was chatting with the interviewer before we even got into the room, and I don't think they asked me more than 2 questions that didn't naturally flow out of the conversation we were already having. I was very relaxed, was able to be myself, and even made the faculty member laugh a little. No one wrote anything down either time, but that might just be because they're supposed to be engaged with the candidate? No decision yet (hopefully by the end of the week!), but I feel really good about it.

Anyway, I don't think there was any institutional decision to make interviews tougher or less friendly. Maybe it was just those interviewers, or maybe they were having a bad day? @theydoubtedme, I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I hope you have better luck at other schools!

Adding to allanMED15, according to the syllabus, you need to do a CAP if you don't 'meet expectations on a competency' and successfully complete it.

"Inadequate completion of the CAP requirements as assigned will result in a referral to the Committee on Student Progress (CSP) and failure in the course. A student who has failed the course will go on a Leave of Absence (LOA) as well as have a meeting with the CSP to decide if the student will at a later date, continue in medical school."

Note that we don't know what form this CAP will be in, and what they mean by 'inadequate completion' (i.e.. how many questions do we need to get right, etc.). Again this is the first year so no one knows how this will actually work.

How do you know whether you failed or passed a course? The grading not seem clear.

I interviewed here a few weeks back, idk if it went well.. the interviewers were very serious and it kind of psyched me out. I am really wishing for an acceptance, I really liked the school. Everyone said the interview would be like a convo but I felt as if I was just being asked question after question. They did not ask me anything about my extracurricular (research, shadowing, global trip) etc.
what date did you interview?

Does everyone get asked to pay the fee or do people get rejected beforehand?

Not sure. Heard a myth that they only ask you to pay the secondary fee after they look at your app and like it enough for an interview. I was trying to check for validity of it because I was very skeptical

Not sure. Heard a myth that they only ask you to pay the secondary fee after they look at your app and like it enough for an interview. I was trying to check for validity of it because I was very skeptical
The secondary questions are embedded in AACOMAS. I applied and paid the primary application fee in July.

One day later, I got an email from UNECOM saying that my verified AACOMAS application was received and the initial review had begun, and that the preliminary review could take up to two weeks.

Four days after this email, I received another email from UNECOM saying that admissions had completed their review, and would like to invite me to submit payment for the supplemental. I took this to mean that I had met their published minimums. I paid this fee 7/24.

My application was marked fully complete 8/10 (I was waiting on some letters). I received an interview offer on 9/18.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Ah alright. Took a bit longer for me to get that email about the payment for the supplemental so I thought that what I heard might have been true due to the length of time between when i had my AACOMAS app verified and today when I received the payment request email. Thank you for the clarification!

So I tried finding this information, and unfortunately I work without access to my phone during the regular business hours at UNE-COM, but I was wondering if anyone knows if they are receptive to pre-II updates and if so, by what means? I would love an opportunity to interview at this school, but haven't heard anything since being complete in early august :(

The secondary questions are embedded in AACOMAS. I applied and paid the primary application fee in July.

One day later, I got an email from UNECOM saying that my verified AACOMAS application was received and the initial review had begun, and that the preliminary review could take up to two weeks.

Four days after this email, I received another email from UNECOM saying that admissions had completed their review, and would like to invite me to submit payment for the supplemental. I took this to mean that I had met their published minimums. I paid this fee 7/24.

My application was marked fully complete 8/10 (I was waiting on some letters). I received an interview offer on 9/18.

Since we are all pre-screened in order to be able to be allowed the supplemental fee, are all applicants whom are allowed to pay the fee offered II? Is there a percentage that are?