2017-2018 University of Texas - Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! Did you get it recently, or were you in the initial wave who got it late last night/very early this morning?
I never checked my portal or saw anybody else's posts about recieving the II's until an hour ago when I was sent the email, and thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
just scheduled my 9/30 interview and friday rounds. im really happy i got an interview

Reactions: 2 users
9/30 interview 10/1 going to the Cowboys game. Can't ask for a better weekend

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Is everyone interviewing doing the Friday morning and afternoon programs? Debating between the 2 dates offered but can't make the Friday on one of them due to a conflict and wondering how truly optional the optional programs are.
It is 100% optional. The morning rounds on Friday are helpful to allow you to meet older students, and there is a little bit of info presented on Friday afternoon that isn't repeated, but if you have a conflict, you are welcome to skip Friday. Even if you don't have a conflict besides not wanting to go on Friday, you are welcome to skip Friday.

It is 100% optional. The morning rounds on Friday are helpful to allow you to meet older students, and there is a little bit of info presented on Friday afternoon that isn't repeated, but if you have a conflict, you are welcome to skip Friday. Even if you don't have a conflict besides not wanting to go on Friday, you are welcome to skip Friday.

Great. Now all I need is the II.

Reactions: 1 users
Interview format seems to be two 25-minute interviews one-on-one with faculty, by the way. For someone who lives near UT Southwestern/attends school there: best place to stay as far as hotels go? Priorities:
1. Proximity to school (ideally within walking distance or with established shuttle)
2. Cost

Why did utsw give interview date options if they also "assigned" interview dates?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview format seems to be two 25-minute interviews one-on-one with faculty, by the way. For someone who lives near UT Southwestern/attends school there: best place to stay as far as hotels go? Priorities:
1. Proximity to school (ideally within walking distance or with established shuttle)
2. Cost

I live in the Dallas area and work at UT Southwestern. The cheapest (typically) and closest option is probably the Holiday Inn right next to the school. There are a lot options that are along the highway right next to UTSW including Hampton Inn (fairly cheap) and a bunch Hilton/Marriott hotels. UTSW is near Dallas' secondary airport so there is a lot to choose from. Holiday Inn is probably the only one that's walking distance

2. Cost
You could stay wherever you live if you're in the area. I wouldn't spend the money on a hotel if I were you. It doesn't start super early on Saturday. Unless you don't have a car. I've stayed at the Crowne Plaza (horrible), and at the LaQuinta (brand new, pretty nice surprisingly).

I live in the Dallas area and work at UT Southwestern. The cheapest (typically) and closest option is probably the Holiday Inn right next to the school. There are a lot options that are along the highway right next to UTSW including Hampton Inn (fairly cheap) and a bunch Hilton/Marriott hotels. UTSW is near Dallas' secondary airport so there is a lot to choose from. Holiday Inn is probably the only one that's walking distance
Thank you!

You could stay wherever you live if you're in the area. I wouldn't spend the money on a hotel if I were you. It doesn't start super early on Saturday. Unless you don't have a car. I've stayed at the Crowne Plaza (horrible), and at the LaQuinta (brand new, pretty nice surprisingly).
Unfortunately not in the area, but thank you for the hotel recommendation!

Got it. Good to know!
By the way we also have a host system. So if you don't mind possibly sleeping on a couch, it's free and a nice way to get to know current students better. I did that at every interview that offered it.

I'm pining for an interview invite here! LizzyM 73. My file was complete yesterday morning. Do you think they have already filled all their interview invitation spots for all of september?

I'm pining for an interview invite here! LizzyM 73. My file was complete yesterday morning. Do you think they have already filled all their interview invitation spots for all of september?

MS1 here. Last year I completed everything around the end of July and got the II email late September, and the earliest option was the last week of October. Granted, I was OOS though so that could affect the timing. It's difficult to say, but I would guess this late in August they have most/all of September filled.

MS1 here. Last year I completed everything around the end of July and got the II email late September, and the earliest option was the last week of October. Granted, I was OOS though so that could affect the timing. It's difficult to say, but I would guess this late in August they have most/all of September filled.

Welp. Looks like I'll be a reapplicant. I have so much fire in me now though because I'm so upset. I'll be sure to have everything submitted May 1 so I can have a complete file first week of May so Texas schools can finally give me a chance. Looks like if you're just a few weeks late your cycle is over. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welp. Looks like I'll be a reapplicant. I have so much fire in me now though because I'm so upset. I'll be sure to have everything submitted May 1 so I can have a complete file first week of May so Texas schools can finally give me a chance. Looks like if you're just a few weeks late your cycle is over. :(

Just because you don't interview in September does not at all signify you'll be rejected. In fact I would wager you will probably get in somewhere as long as your ECs are nice/interviews go moderately well.

Just because you don't interview in September does not at all signify you'll be rejected. In fact I would wager you will probably get in somewhere as long as your ECs are nice.

Thanks. I really hope so. I really hope you're right and that I didn't just waste another year of my life by being a few weeks late.

Last edited:
Just because you don't interview in September does not at all signify you'll be rejected. In fact I would wager you will probably get in somewhere as long as your ECs are nice.
Interviews continue for months and so do invitations. OP you have turned in everything and now comes the waiting phase.

Thanks. I really hope so. It seems like Texas schools leave you no room to breathe and if you don't apply early you're busted. I really hope you're right and that I didn't just waste another year of my life by being a few weeks late.

Don't use SDN to make that judgment. If you were a borderline candidate, then submitting late in the game might be the nail in the coffin. If you're a high-quality applicant, submitting in August is not going to ruin you. You might lose a couple IIs, but I highly doubt every school will turn up their nose at you. Most schools have 75% of the II slots left (looking at the dates offered thus far).

Don't use SDN to make that judgment. If you were a borderline candidate, then submitting late in the game might be the nail in the coffin. If you're a high-quality applicant, submitting in August is not going to ruin you. You might lose a couple IIs, but I highly doubt every school will turn up their nose at you. Most schools have 75% of the II slots left (looking at the dates offered thus far).

My file was complete everywhere between August 8-16. So they have my transmitted app, letters, secondary, and mcat score. I really just have be patient now but it's hard not beating myself up for not getting it in earlier. It's hard when you're working full time but I should have made it work

Thanks. They were starting to hand out September interviews just last Friday. They must have given them all out in that first batch.

Thanks. They were starting to hand out September interviews just last Friday. They must have given them all out in that first batch.

Probably less. I went thru the same thing when BCM sent out their batches but I still got a mid Sep II there 3 batches in to the cycle.

Probably less. I went thru the same thing when BCM sent out their batches but I still got a mid Sep II there 3 batches in to the cycle.

Okay that gives me hope. Thank you

II by portal! Wooo, this was the last Texas school I was waiting to hear back from :)

Got it today by portal. No email yet. Now McGovern is the only school not showing me love. Good luck to those still waiting.

Got it today by portal. No email yet. Now McGovern is the only school not showing me love. Good luck to those still waiting.

Congratulations! Do you mind sharing what interview days you were offered?

10/14, 10/21, 10/28 are what I got
all the dates are on their website

Thanks for your reply. Oh wow! This cycle is moving so fast! October is already getting filled. That only leaves November and December for the people who haven't heard back yet.

Thanks for your reply. Oh wow! This cycle is moving so fast! October is already getting filled. That only leaves November and December for the people who haven't heard back yet.

I was offered those same dates. Another (and perhaps less hopeful) way to look at the dates is that UTSW fills almost all its class through the prematch and there aren't many dates after those just offered that would allow for consideration prior to 11/15.

I was offered those same dates. Another (and perhaps less hopeful) way to look at the dates is that UTSW fills almost all its class through the prematch and there aren't many dates after those just offered that would allow for consideration prior to 11/15.

Yeah that's really depressing. Wow. Utsouthwestern was my dream.

You can prematch if you interview after 11/15.....

You can prematch if you interview after 11/15.....

You are right. I was under the impression though that UTSW basically fills its class on 11/15 and further movement occurs only to the extend those people chose to go elsewhere. That's just based on stuff I've read here.

UTSW DOES overaccept through prematches, up until mid to late December, which is why not many people match here on Feb 1st. HOWEVER there is a TON of waitlist movement (that's how I got in, and I interviewed 10/14ish), so don't lose hope. A bunch of very awesome and perfectly qualified MS1s interviewed in January, and in the end they got in just like everyone else. Heck, I got in May 27th, which was cutting it very close to the multiple Texas acceptances deadline... It isn't over until June 1st.