2017-2018 University of Texas - Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So for anyone that's interviewed and fine Friday rounds. Do people wear suit jackets? I really don't want to. Also what do they say about the curriculum during the Friday afternoon session?

Members don't see this ad.

So for anyone that's interviewed and fine Friday rounds. Do people wear suit jackets? I really don't want to. Also what do they say about the curriculum during the Friday afternoon session?
Everyone wore a suit jacket when I did the rounds. I don't think it's that big of a deal if you don't, but.....
upload_2017-9-30_20-30-26.png

But it's up to you. Like what do I really know. It's not like I'm on the admissions committee.

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone did on my day too

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got done interviewing here today... It was super chill. For the love of God RSVP to the Friday stuff. Almost every med student that I met had gone to it, regardless of whether their interviews went well or not. Went back and looked at my II email and nowhere does it say 'optional' or that 'Friday will not be taken into account for admissions decision'. Just my 2 cents, could mean something but more than likely does not.

Just got done interviewing here today... It was super chill. For the love of God RSVP to the Friday stuff. Almost every med student that I met had gone to it, regardless of whether their interviews went well or not. Went back and looked at my II email and nowhere does it say 'optional' or that 'Friday will not be taken into account for admissions decision'. Just my 2 cents, could mean something but more than likely does not.

It's optional.... they literally said they won't be able to host everyone

Most people did, one guy didn't. I honestly don't think it matters too much though. Many of the ladies were reallyyy casual....

Does anyone know if UTSW accepts post-interview updates or nah?

It truly does not factor into admissions decisions. It's just there because our campus is huge so otherwise applicants would pretty much only get to meet MS1s and MS2s, and almost no MS3s and MS4s.
I personally loved going on rounds, but if I'd had school, I probably wouldn't have.

The day I interviewed it wasn't available because students were taking a shelf exam. It's an optional day. If it wasn't optional, then literally over half my interview day has no chance at all because very few slots were available.

Also, I spoke with current students who hadn't done the rounds at UTSW.

sent a thank you email to my interviewer and he replies within 15 minutes "best of luck, i submitted a great evaluation"

:)

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know if UTSW accepts post-interview updates or nah?
A friend sent a letter of update last year and they didn't really say anything about it. I sent a letter of intent, and they said they don't really accept those. But I still got in, so like it won't hurt you that much.

A friend sent a letter of update last year and they didn't really say anything about it. I sent a letter of intent, and they said they don't really accept those. But I still got in, so like it won't hurt you that much.

As in sending one won't hurt you THAT much, but it won't help? Then pretty much don't send one in is what you're saying?

As in sending one won't hurt you THAT much, but it won't help? Then pretty much don't send one in is what you're saying?
Yeah. They told me specifically that they don't take them, so like it wasn't a big deal because I didn't know. But they probably won't read it, so it's probably pointless.

Members don't see this ad :)
sent a thank you email to my interviewer and he replies within 15 minutes "best of luck, i submitted a great evaluation"

:)
when did you send the thank you letter? right after interview or day afteR?

Has anyone sent in an in-the-area or pre-interview update letter?

I have an interview at southwestern and on their portal it asks "Will you be bringing a guest to the Friday afternoon program?" Did anyone bring a guest? Is it okay to bring my mother? She would love to hear stuff about their school but I don't want to be the only one with a guest.

Everyone wore a suit jacket when I did the rounds. I don't think it's that big of a deal if you don't, but.....
View attachment 223970

But it's up to you. Like what do I really know. It's not like I'm on the admissions committee.

So, did girls wear a suit jacket too? I don't want to be left out in the cold

I have an interview at southwestern and on their portal it asks "Will you be bringing a guest to the Friday afternoon program?" Did anyone bring a guest? Is it okay to bring my mother? She would love to hear stuff about their school but I don't want to be the only one with a guest.
One or two people brought parents to my Friday session. Is it a good decision? That's another question. My opinion on this is that you are applying for professional school admission. Is your mom going to go to medical school with you? No. Would your mom go to an information session with you for a formal corporate job? No.

I would say give your mom the information packet afterwards, but don't bring her along. Bringing a significant other is a different story, certainly if they are planning to move with you.

I think it's meant for spouses. Although, I don't think there's any harm in it. Just do not bring her with you on interview day.

I would bring a suit jacket. Or, if not, maybe a cutie will give you his if you're cold ;)
I'll be there with a suit. So if you are cold, I can lend you my jacket. But in all seriousness, the girls did wear suit jackets too. Basically people wore their interview suits except me. But that's because I have multiple suits.

a girl brought her mother to my friday session and I thought it was a bad look from my perspective. In my opinion you are applying to medical school, not your mother. During the tour/meal breaks the girl sat next to her parent rather than socialize with current med students and applicants, and her mother was also asking questions for her during breakout sessions.

I think that bringing your parent may put you in a position where you wont get the full experience of the students, applicants, and activities that day.

+1 for an Interview?

I'll be there with a suit. So if you are cold, I can lend you my jacket. But in all seriousness, the girls did wear suit jackets too. Basically people wore their interview suits except me. But that's because I have multiple suits.

You are quite the gentleman. Wish I was interviewing here so I could borrow your jacket ;)

a girl brought her mother to my friday session and I thought it was a bad look from my perspective. In my opinion you are applying to medical school, not your mother. During the tour/meal breaks the girl sat next to her parent rather than socialize with current med students and applicants, and her mother was also asking questions for her during breakout sessions.

I think that bringing your parent may put you in a position where you wont get the full experience of the students, applicants, and activities that day.
So I fully agree. One of the attributes interviewers and ad coms look for is maturity (or at the very least the appearance of maturity). I'm not saying that bringing your mother looks immature, but appearing independent of your parents during a post-graduate program will at least make you seem more mature. At the very least, on the same maturity level of the other applicants.

So I fully agree. One of the attributes interviewers and ad coms look for is maturity (or at the very least the appearance of maturity). I'm not saying that bringing your mother looks immature, but appearing independent of your parents during a post-graduate program will at least make you seem more mature. At the very least, on the same maturity level of the other applicants.
The people actually deciding whether or not you get in won't know whether or not your brought a parent, so it's up to you! I've met some parents at the Friday evening dinner, and they seemed quite bored, but they probably enjoyed getting the chance to see where their child might end up going to school. However, that's also what MS0 weekend is all about.

I brought my dad to the Friday session and I'm a current MS1. Trust what they say -- the Friday session has nothing to do with your admission. I definitely wouldn't bring a guest on Saturday and I would try and spend most of your time on Friday speaking with current students or interviewees instead of your guest. But it is totally fine to bring a parent. My dad had a great time and came away super impressed with UTSW. It is probably a bit boring for most parents but my dad is kind of pedantic so he loved it lol.

II just now on the portal! LizzyM 69, IS, URM, Complete 7/26! Was definitely not expecting to interview here! So excited!

Reactions: 3 users
I don't recall the admissions staff mentioning any particular way of sending thank you letters. Should I just use my interviewers' emails? I know other schools have a different policy on this.

I don't recall the admissions staff mentioning any particular way of sending thank you letters. Should I just use my interviewers' emails? I know other schools have a different policy on this.
Someone reported earlier that they emailed and received an email back from their interviewer, so I imagine email is the way to go!
I mailed thank you letters after my interviews and that worked.

II a few hours ago for 11/11!!!!! (11/18, and several others later were available too)
To say I'm in shock is a vast understatement - I'm very unqualified stats-wise for UTSW (513, ~3.1 GPA)

Idk what divine forces conspired to make this happen but I'm just happy to get the opportunity!! :)

Reactions: 6 users
II a few hours ago for 11/11!!!!! (11/18, and several others later were available too)
To say I'm in shock is a vast understatement - I'm very unqualified stats-wise for UTSW (513, ~3.1 GPA)

Idk what divine forces conspired to make this happen but I'm just happy to get the opportunity!! :)
Hey were you an OOS applicant or IS? You mention you were surprised, but do you think there were one or two aspects of your application that might make you stand out as a candidate despite your stats?

Do you mind sharing the date you were complete? Also if you are IS or OOS? Also regular MD program or dual degree?

As an OOS, are my chances fairly slim at this point? Seems like it’s all IS IIs at this point.

As an OOS, are my chances fairly slim at this point? Seems like it’s all IS IIs at this point.
I wouldn't quote me on this, but I think most TX schools invite the OOS quick to get them out of the way (and because earlier pre-match, I believe.) And, the person who got II yesterday said 11/11 and 11/18 were available dates. Considering almost all of UTSW appears to come in by way of pre-match, which happens between 11/15 and 12/15 IIRC (with heavy emphasis on the earlier date) I wouldn't rely on it. You can always be pleasantly surprised if that assessment turns out wrong.

I wouldn't quote me on this, but I think most TX schools invite the OOS quick to get them out of the way (and because earlier pre-match, I believe.) And, the person who got II yesterday said 11/11 and 11/18 were available dates. Considering almost all of UTSW appears to come in by way of pre-match, which happens between 11/15 and 12/15 IIRC (with heavy emphasis on the earlier date) I wouldn't rely on it. You can always be pleasantly surprised if that assessment turns out wrong.
I thought I had heard the prematch ends the first week of January. Could be wrong

Edit: I was wrong, the prematch is 11/15 - 12/31, but per the utsw calendar, two of the last three interview dates are in early December - 12/2, 12/9 - and a final date, 1/6

Per last year’s utsw applicants, some prematched as early as one week following an interview. Basically, it seems like if you get an interview on 1/6 you’re interviewing for the waitlist, otherwise you’ve got a chance at the prematch.

Sources below

TMDSAS Medical: Acceptance/Match Information

http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/education/medical-school/admissions/apply/process/

Last edited:
Hey were you an OOS applicant or IS? You mention you were surprised, but do you think there were one or two aspects of your application that might make you stand out as a candidate despite your stats?
I'm IS. And yes, I think particularly my research has helped me a ton (presented at some national conferences). Probably by the end of the year I'll have a pub. Also, I have (what I think is) a pretty unique story to tell, along with some good service experiences. So yeah, it appears to be pretty holistic.

Do you mind sharing the date you were complete? Also if you are IS or OOS? Also regular MD program or dual degree?
Sure! I submitted the primary June 2nd ish and the UTSW secondary on July 5th, just regular MD. IS, URM

I'm IS. And yes, I think particularly my research has helped me a ton (presented at some national conferences). Probably by the end of the year I'll have a pub. Also, I have (what I think is) a pretty unique story to tell, along with some good service experiences. So yeah, it appears to be pretty holistic.

Sure! I submitted the primary June 2nd ish and the UTSW secondary on July 5th, just regular MD. IS, URM
Awesome! I appreciate the feedback. And congrats. UTSW is such a great school and getting an interview there is an accomplishment. I’m still holding out hope. It’s definitely a top choice for me. Good luck with your interview!

Also just got an interview for this date! :highfive:

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations!!! :) when were you complete with secondary and everything?
Thank you! My TMDSAS was transmitted to schools late September, and I just submitted my secondary Saturday night.

Reactions: 1 users