2017-2018 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
#20 on WA/OOR list, and just got the call!!!! AHHHH!!!!!
Was rooting for ya! Congrats everyone, we are going to be classmates!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
@mybluedog - have you heard anything yet?

Please let us know when you get your call/email.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hope to be joining you guys in the coming weeks :) congrats you guys!! I have been rooting for you!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard anything about waitlist movement for the MT cohort? Our list is unranked (in the admissions portal it just says "you've been selected as alternate #" instead of actually telling you your place), and the not knowing is agonizing.

I haven't heard anything from MT

WA/OOR, are we on-track for accepting about as many as the last few years? I'm still on the bubble and want someone to read the tea-leaves for me

I haven't heard anything from MT

WA/OOR, are we on-track for accepting about as many as the last few years? I'm still on the bubble and want someone to read the tea-leaves for me

Based on past years data (excel spreadsheets and previous threads) it seems like it will be around the same- but there is no real way of knowing. I am on the bubble too- so I know how you are feeling. We are almost there!

Reactions: 1 user
Based on the data from 2020, we're almost exactly on track for about that many (31). Hang in there!

Has anyone heard anything about waitlist movement for the MT cohort? Our list is unranked (in the admissions portal it just says "you've been selected as alternate #" instead of actually telling you your place), and the not knowing is agonizing.
As a member of the MT cohort, I know that as of last Friday (a few days before Traffic day) we had 27/30 firm acceptance and only 3 who were still deciding. Hope this helps and good luck!

As a member of the MT cohort, I know that as of last Friday (a few days before Traffic day) we had 27/30 firm acceptance and only 3 who were still deciding. Hope this helps and good luck!

I was rejected by the WA cohort and I'm not from MT but I want to thank you for this thoughtful gesture as someone on another school's waitlist. Hardworking students all over the country are waiting for a call this week and any news to alleviate the stress is appreciated.

Reactions: 2 users
Are any other former-waitlist-ers interested in getting together IRL once school starts? I know there are FB groups and stuff, but I feel a certain camaraderie among us who have had to stick it out this long :)

Are any other former-waitlist-ers interested in getting together IRL once school starts? I know there are FB groups and stuff, but I feel a certain camaraderie among us who have had to stick it out this long :)

Yes! Lately I’ve been hearing the 2021 class hasn’t been so happy with socializing or something. I don’t know too much about it. I’m so ready to have a squad in med school though haha!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! Lately I’ve been hearing the 2021 class hasn’t been so happy with socializing or something. I don’t know too much about it. I’m so ready to have a squad in med school though haha!

+1!

Thanks a ton! Anything that takes away some of the uncertainty is much appreciated. Looks like I'll be getting a Master's at YSPH and applying again in a couple cycles. Congrats to everyone that made it!!

Thanks a ton! Anything that takes away some of the uncertainty is much appreciated. Looks like I'll be getting a Master's at YSPH and applying again in a couple cycles. Congrats to everyone that made it!!

Not saying I’m the best person for advice, but I’ve helped some people with their applications and things like that. If you (or anyone) have any questions or need advice, feel free to PM me! I’m glad you’re going in this with a positive attitude. I was pretty low during my first cycle. Don’t lose hope and just know this is such a hard process! Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone received a formal acceptance email or letter? I received an acceptance email, selected my firm acceptance, sent in my background stuff and worked through the bloodborn pathogen/hipaa/IT stuff. Still haven’t received anything more about a formal acceptance.

They only send the e-mail(s), but there is a way to download a formal acceptance letter. I think - if I recall right - that there's a link for that through the myUW financial aid portal/page.

Has anyone received a formal acceptance email or letter? I received an acceptance email, selected my firm acceptance, sent in my background stuff and worked through the bloodborn pathogen/hipaa/IT stuff. Still haven’t received anything more about a formal acceptance.

Go to your UW portal, then to the "Acceptance contract" tab. At the very bottom of the page, there you be a link that says "Acceptance Verification (proof for scholarships, etc.)". Click on the link, and you'll get a downloadable formal acceptance letter.

Last edited:
Got my foundation site yesterday. Really really wanted Spokane, but I’ll be joining the Seattle fam

Does anyone happen to know if UW is open to matching $ offers made by other schools? I suspect not but I'm holding out a little hope

Does anyone happen to know if UW is open to matching $ offers made by other schools? I suspect not but I'm holding out a little hope

I don’t think that would hurt!

No waitlist movement in over a week. I'm getting worried the number will be a lot lower this year

Does anyone know what’s going on with the Spokane waitlist? It seems strange that there hasn’t been any movement by this point

#26, I just got the call! I hope other people hear very soon!

Does anyone know what’s going on with the Spokane waitlist? It seems strange that there hasn’t been any movement by this point

I’m not sure. From accepted students, I heard the Spokane class is pretty set only with a few seats left. (So I didn’t leave much hope getting chosen for that site) But this could totally be wrong. Would the Spokane waitlist somehow feed into the Seattle one?
Are there any movement through your portal? That’s so strange!

Congrats on newly accepted family :)

Is UW a true unranked pass-fail medical school during the foundations phase? I was reading the handbook and it appears that there are grades pass, fail, and mastery, but the mastery designation for a block does not get reported on the dean's letter or to other schools. So, is there no internal ranking as long as you pass all your classes during the preclinical phase? I've heard from others that this is true, and that means that at UW everything is riding on your clinical performance in 3rd and 4th year for things like AOA, etc. and preclinical stuff isn't really factored in. If so, that would be sweet.

Is UW a true unranked pass-fail medical school during the foundations phase? I was reading the handbook and it appears that there are grades pass, fail, and mastery, but the mastery designation for a block does not get reported on the dean's letter or to other schools. So, is there no internal ranking as long as you pass all your classes during the preclinical phase? I've heard from others that this is true, and that means that at UW everything is riding on your clinical performance in 3rd and 4th year for things like AOA, etc. and preclinical stuff isn't really factored in. If so, that would be sweet.

That’s how I was for me, but thats prior to the new curriculum. You’ll probably get your answer closer to September when the 4th years get their deans letter. Nobody will likely truly know prior to that, just rumors or cryptic messages from the deans.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm looking for housing advice-- Is there a location that most of the foundations phase preceptors work? Like are most students paired with someone who's somewhere in First Hill, or will the preceptors be all over the place? I'm looking at housing in Fremont and Cap Hill and both the commutes look really easy to UW, but Fremont would have more street parking if I need a car and Cap Hill would be easier if I'm spending at least one day a week in First Hill

I'm looking for housing advice-- Is there a location that most of the foundations phase preceptors work? Like are most students paired with someone who's somewhere in First Hill, or will the preceptors be all over the place? I'm looking at housing in Fremont and Cap Hill and both the commutes look really easy to UW, but Fremont would have more street parking if I need a car and Cap Hill would be easier if I'm spending at least one day a week in First Hill

Capitol Hill will be a much easier commute. You can just jump on the light rail and it has stops across the street from the medical school. Fremont will be a much tougher commute. You will have to take a few buses and traffic is usually very bad getting in and out of Fremont. Parking is rough in both locations, as it is in many places in Seattle. I would try to find something as close to the light rail line as possible. Even if you have to go further south, you should be fine.

Capitol Hill will be a much easier commute. You can just jump on the light rail and it has stops across the street from the medical school. Fremont will be a much tougher commute. You will have to take a few buses and traffic is usually very bad getting in and out of Fremont. Parking is rough in both locations, as it is in many places in Seattle. I would try to find something as close to the light rail line as possible. Even if you have to go further south, you should be fine.

That’s where like 1/4 to 1/3 of the single people in my class lived. Many of us had families though, even if it was just a spouse. People lived as far as Kirkland or Bainbridge Island. Most people with families chose Bryant, Laurelhurst, Ravenna, Magnusson since you get better housing, yards, free parking, and it’s cheaper. The rest of the single people lived wherever they got the cheapest price. You are a medical student with a free bus pass, most of them can not afford capital hill just because there isn’t enough student loan money for that. You’ll likely need to live further away from the school.

Personally, I rode a bike on the Burke Gilman trail daily all during the preclinical years. Cheaper housing, free exercise built into my day, and time to listen to lectures during my commute.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Got the phone call, #27, Seattle list

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Congrats @nhongz256 and @delamj on your recent acceptances!! Super excited for you!

I wonder why they haven't updated the portal yet. It is still hanging out at 21.

Congrats @nhongz256 and @delamj on your recent acceptances!! Super excited for you!

I wonder why they haven't updated the portal yet. It is still hanging out at 21.

Thank you! My portal was still 21 when I got the call yesterday so it is moving, but not visible on our side. Hope you hear the good news soon!

When they call, do they not leave voicemail? And is it from a random local number or the school? Trying to decipher a missed 206 phone call that doesn't say scam likely.. I have reached new levels of anxiousness over this.

When they call, do they not leave voicemail? And is it from a random local number or the school? Trying to decipher a missed 206 phone call that doesn't say scam likely.. I have reached new levels of anxiousness over this.

I had picked up every single call since January. It was not an easy life so I feel your pain, hang in there!

"When they call, do they not leave voicemail?": I got the call at 1:59 PM yesterday, was checking some dank memes in the bathroom, saw the call, and picked it up asap so no voicemail. Got the acceptance email too so do not worry if you miss the call.

"Is it from a random local number or the school?": Random local number. The number is the phone number of the executive committee member who interviewed me. She has a Tacoma phone number so the number was starting with (253).

My acceptance call came from a 206 number. I think I remember reading earlier in this thread that they don’t typically leave a message.

/fingerscrossed!

Is anyone here a 3x reapplicant? I might have to apply again :/

Thanks @nhongz256 and @MercMutt That's super helpful, especially knowing I'm not alone in this. I guess we will see If not tomorrow maybe next week.

Hahaha that must have been heart stopping @nhongz256 that is quite the way to find out!!
I think it really is dependent on your excom member. I knew my excom member was at work or busy when people after my # was getting called, so I expected a call after 5pm. Got the call 5:10ish and accidentally missed it while dying on the treadmill. (can you imagine me picking up that call with extremely heavy breathing haha) They left a voicemail and sent me a personal congrats email. Also received the official email from [email protected] soon after.

Something that might help is searching for your excom member's clinic/hospital mainline phone and saving that. There is more chance they want to call from an office phone, rather than their personal cell.

This might sound weird, but some days at work I turned off my phone completely or put it away so I could concentrate better. My curiosity and anxiousness forced me to check my phone, it was pretty unhealthy.

I am really grateful to have only been a reapplicant once, but I'd be glad to answer any questions, review your app and help a friend out.

I think my problem was not being too familiar with the ACA and being wishy washy/trying to be in the middle with controversial topics during my interview. I got so much advice from my med school friends, I felt like I coudn't be myself and needed to be in the middle of everything. I thought this communicated being respectful, professional, etc. in actuality, it might've showed low self-esteem, poor decision-making skills, bad leadership, etc. I learned to just speak my mind and tried to be myself more instead of wanting to impress them, but also at the same time offering space for other opinions.

Being a reapplicant hurts so much, I get it, but keeping a positive attitude and being optimistic and being yourself can help so much!
PM if you want to chat.

Anybody doing the Pre-Mat program? Just got the OK to attend :)

Have you requested a feedback appointment? I thought it was incredibly helpful.