2017-2018 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm so sorry if this has already been answered but I had a question about financial aid. The summer between 1st and 2nd year we don't get any financial aid for living expenses. How do people pay for rent/food during this time? I don't think we are allowed to have jobs. Do people just take on private loans?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so sorry if this has already been answered but I had a question about financial aid. The summer between 1st and 2nd year we don't get any financial aid for living expenses. How do people pay for rent/food during this time? I don't think we are allowed to have jobs. Do people just take on private loans?

I was wondering about that too. I think we have to take at least one course, so my only thought was that it might be covered by the financial aid offered for the 2019-2020 school year. I'm going to call financial aid again this week to ask about loan stuff and I can ask then.

Reactions: 1 users
I was wondering about that too. I think we have to take at least one course, so my only thought was that it might be covered by the financial aid offered for the 2019-2020 school year. I'm going to call financial aid again this week to ask about loan stuff and I can ask then.
Let us know what they say!

The answer is you budget for it. Live somewhere cheaper. Take out additional loans if you absolutely have to. And you can have a job. I worked all through medical school part time as a tutor and a tour guide for the medical school. The medical school even hired me to teach the underclassmen. For my class we also had to do some type of project during the summer and most of those were paid.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Actually they now just starting for the E-17s created a required 6 credit summer course on research methods that everyone has to take, in order to allow some students to get financial aid

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone going to the service learning event this weds?

Actually they now just starting for the E-17s created a required 6 credit summer course on research methods that everyone has to take, in order to allow some students to get financial aid

that was the news from financial aid! We are eligible for loans in the first summer as part of the 2019-2020 financial aid package, because we should all be registered for credits in that quarter and summer quarters are rolled into the following academic year. @Doc93

have my fellow accepted waitlisters received financial aid news yet?

I know many of you guys are on to bigger things.. but the portal has stalled at 21.. and hasn't been updated since beginning of May (over 2 weeks)... is this too ridiculous to email them about?

I know many of you guys are on to bigger things.. but the portal has stalled at 21.. and hasn't been updated since beginning of May (over 2 weeks)... is this too ridiculous to email them about?

:/ I'd call from an unknown # and ask anon

Members don't see this ad :)
:/ I'd call from an unknown # and ask anon

Thanks for the courage.They said it's now on 28, and they estimate maybe one or two more over the next couple months. They also said the portal should be updating, and were thankful for the feedback on that.

Last edited:
that was the news from financial aid! We are eligible for loans in the first summer as part of the 2019-2020 financial aid package, because we should all be registered for credits in that quarter and summer quarters are rolled into the following academic year. @Doc93

Have you requested a feedback appointment? I thought it was incredibly helpful.
How did you request? Did you email or call? I was wanting to do something like this but didn't know they offered.

How did you request? Did you email or call? I was wanting to do something like this but didn't know they offered.
just reply or create a new email to [email protected] and say you are still interested in applying to the school in the future and want to hear how to improve your chances.

Called Financial aid office this morning and received package 2-3 hrs ago. Nothing relating to scholarships, just the usual loans. Diane at financial aid is super nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uhhh I'm kicking myself, apparently they only do feedback appointments through April :( Messed up that one. Did either of you (or anyone else) find out anything helpful in general? I saw some stuff on their website but wondering if you got any other interesting insight? @mybluedog @Shafwa

Uhhh I'm kicking myself, apparently they only do feedback appointments through April :( Messed up that one. Did either of you (or anyone else) find out anything helpful in general? I saw some stuff on their website but wondering if you got any other interesting insight? @mybluedog @Shafwa

Did you read online that they only do it until April or did someone tell you? If you just read it online, I'd ignore it and just email.

I wouldn't mind looking at your application, if you are comfortable, just PM me.

Read above and saw many of you are doing the Pre-mat. Would you be able to share why would you like to take the Pre-matriculation course (August 6 - 10)?

I asked several M1s and M2s, and they confirmed that this year is the first time UWSOM offers the Pre-mat course. I am debating to sign up for it or not because once school starts, we will have more than enough studying time, comparing to the few truly free months left. I have no negative view about the pre-mat, just wondering whether you all think it is beneficial or not.

Last edited:
Read above and saw many of you are doing the Pre-mat. Would you be able to share why would you like to take the Pre-matriculation course (August 6 - 10)?

I asked several M1s and M2s, and they confirmed that this year is the first time UWSOM offers the Pre-mat course. I am debating to sign up for it or not because once school starts, we will have more than enough studying time, comparing to the few truly free months left. I have no negative view about the pre-mat, just wondering whether you all think it is beneficial or not.
I will not be doing it. I've been out of school 3 years and would probably benefit from it, but I'm finishing work on August 2nd, so like you said, I'm definitely taking that last precious free time.

My last day at work is July 31st. My friends that are studying for the MCAT/DAT stressin me out sometimes when I can't answer their questions on basic stuff. Its scary how fast I forgot some basic concepts. I know if I get some reminders, I will be okay. I'm doing it majorly because I'm afraid to be behind and want to take a quick jog before the big race haha! Also, I want to meet some new peeps that will be in our class! I think they'll make it fun! (hopefully)

Reactions: 2 users

It's their first one since 2013. I honestly don't think it'll help me learn any new information that but help me get back in the mode of studying, how to study, etc. I've been out of school for 2 years with a 1 year gap between my undergrad and post-bac and I think it would really be helpful to be in school again without the stress of exams. Plus it's an opportunity to network and meet other students.

It's their first one since 2013. I honestly don't think it'll help me learn any new information that but help me get back in the mode of studying, how to study, etc. I've been out of school for 2 years with a 1 year gap between my undergrad and post-bac and I think it would really be helpful to be in school again without the stress of exams. Plus it's an opportunity to network and meet other students.

@nhongz256 exactly this! I haven't been full-time focused on classes for a couple of years and it's been a long time since I was a good science student, so I would really like to start figuring out how to study, how to schedule my time and what resources to use before it actually matters on the first exam. And it would be great to meet other students who feel similarly so we can help each other out! I'm going to have a month of free time before classes start, though, so that definitely makes it easier for me to give up the pre-mat week. I totally understand wanting to take all the free time you have left :)

Do any current students know how many people get scholarships? It’s need based but I wonder what the criteria is for that. I’ve never been eligible for a needs based anything based on my parents income so just curious

Do any current students know how many people get scholarships? It’s need based but I wonder what the criteria is for that. I’ve never been eligible for a needs based anything based on my parents income so just curious
I recommend contacting the financial aid office. I did not know whether or not I would qualify, but the financial aid office was able to look at my FASFA and my parent information and tell me if their income was in range.

I recommend contacting the financial aid office. I did not know whether or not I would qualify, but the financial aid office was able to look at my FASFA and my parent information and tell me if their income was in range.
Do we know if anyone has been awarded anything yet?

@harkas Do you know anyone from that 2013 pre-mat group? I am wondering how helpful the program itself is in term of academic support because if it was helpful, would the UWSOM have the pre-mat course available every year after 2013... why the 5-year pause just wondering.

@mybluedog I visited the Financial office at Schmitz Hall, the rep said that we will hear back about our financial package between late June to August because the med school is still figuring out the tuition. This sounds kinda odd to me as I know many med schools give us the financial package info by April 30 so we can decide which school.

@harkas Do you know anyone from that 2013 pre-mat group? I am wondering how helpful the program itself is in term of academic support because if it was helpful, would the UWSOM have the pre-mat course available every year after 2013... why the 5-year pause just wondering.

@mybluedog I visited the Financial office at Schmitz Hall, the rep said that we will hear back about our financial package between late June to August because the med school is still figuring out the tuition. This sounds kinda odd to me as I know many med schools give us the financial package info by April 30 so we can decide which school.

My friend did the premat program in 2013 and it was 6 weeks. The reason why they ended is because premat program was majorly supporting/accepting POC/disadvantaged students. The med school thought it was unfair for non-POC/non-disadvantaged students to be left out, so they pulled the funding and put it somewhere else. CEDI has been trying to revive it for many yrs, and maybe they got some funding? Or accumulated some over the past 5 yrs?

I’m glad it’s back and starting somewhere with some baby steps!

By financial package, did you mean the usual loan amounts or including scholarship info? I called Diane from the uwsom financial office and got my loan (nothing special haha) updated in myuw the same evening.

By financial package, did you mean the usual loan amounts or including scholarship info? I called Diane from the uwsom financial office and got my loan (nothing special haha) updated in myuw the same evening.

I meant the scholarship info. Already got the loan amounts on Friday, nothing special too besides that 200k loan/4 years haha, but no more info on the scholarship or support from UW.

For those who applied for Pre-Mat, I got word that there are two cycles and they already sent out "welcomes" to those submitted before their first deadline (late feb? idk)

Does anyone know the class calendar for SOM (ie, when we're in class, when we're on break)? I've found the general UW academic calendar (link), but given that we start classes on 9/4/18 (link) and the regular calendar says start Fall quarter on 9/26/18 (link), I don't know what to make of it.
Holiday planning involves much negotiation in my family, and it'd be helpful to know...

Does anyone know the class calendar for SOM (ie, when we're in class, when we're on break)? I've found the general UW academic calendar (link), but given that we start classes on 9/4/18 (link) and the regular calendar says start Fall quarter on 9/26/18 (link), I don't know what to make of it.
Holiday planning involves much negotiation in my family, and it'd be helpful to know...
You didn't hear that we'll be in classes 24/7/365?:rofl:

*would love to know too!

Do you guys know how long the orientation is? Is the orientation/immersion last until class starts (9/4)?

I recently was accepted and don't know if that email was sent out already

//
Do you guys know how long the orientation is? Is the orientation/immersion last until class starts (9/4)?

YAY!!!!!!! We Made it!!!!

orientation is 20-27 of Aug and then 9/4 school starts

//
YAY!!!!!!! We Made it!!!!

orientation is 20-27 of Aug and then 9/4 school starts
I think orientation is Aug 20-31. According to an email "From August 20-August 31, the Seattle Foundations Site will hold its Immersion & Orientation program, which will run Monday through Friday, from approximately 8:00AM – 5:00PM. All incoming students are required to attend and should make sure their schedules are cleared for these two weeks. A detailed schedule of Clinical Immersion & Orientation will be sent to students in July. Regular classes will begin on Tuesday, September 4."

And congrats, catsarewhereitsat!!! So excited for you!!!!!

Last edited:
I think orientation is Aug 20-31. According to an email "August 31, the last day of Immersion & Orientation" is the Immersion Ceremony/white coat ceremony.

And congrats, catsarewhereitsat!!! So excited for you!!!!!
Oh yes, looking at the wrong calendar. haha. Yes 20-31

I've been trying to find this out too. I found this Foundations Schematic which is helpful but it's not clear if there are any days off around Thanksgiving. I also emailed the school about exam dates and they said they only had the first block planned, and basically there's a test every Monday for the first 6 weeks.

Attachments

• Foundations_Schematic-E18.pdf
    115.2 KB · Views: 99

This varies by foundation site. For Alaska, Orientation Starts August 13th and Immersion begins August 20th. There are even activities planned during the Immersion weekend for the AK cohort.

I think that perhaps the general curriculum schematic may be a bit vague, because there are campus differences. I do not expect there to be any Thanksgiving classes at my foundation site, because the University that the foundations are being done at do not do Thanksgiving classes. But I may be completely wrong (considering I'm an E2018 MS1). :)

This summer is flying by!

I've been trying to find this out too. I found this Foundations Schematic which is helpful but it's not clear if there are any days off around Thanksgiving. I also emailed the school about exam dates and they said they only had the first block planned, and basically there's a test every Monday for the first 6 weeks.
OMG, super helpful (except for Thanksgiving, as you said)! Thanks!

Please tell me someone else felt a little dumb when going through the safety modules (infection, bloodborne, respiratory)

Please tell me someone else felt a little dumb when going through the safety modules (infection, bloodborne, respiratory)

It was stupid when I did it my first year. It gets much easier as you go through school. Don’t worry.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Have they finished sending out scholarship information?