2018-2019 A.T. Still University (Kirksville, Missouri) ATSU-KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite! 9/17!!

How long did it take for your application to say complete?

Mines still missing the date for the application complete, but I have everything else dated/completed

current first years please comment on what to expect on interview day. and the amount of time we need to put in preparing for interview.

Anyone who submitted around 7/2 still waiting to be marked complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
II at around 3pm today!

I got the complete email on 7/24 so pretty quick turnaround time

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Congrats!! When did you complete your secondary app? Thanks.
I finished the secondary 6/30 but my letters were not submitted until 7/23.

Also just an FYI for everyone, I have heard around here that the ATSUs are strict on the 20 hours of shadowing with one physician, but I only have ~35 hours of shadowing, and only 10 of which were with one doc.

Also just an FYI for everyone, I have heard around here that the ATSUs are strict on the 20 hours of shadowing with one physician, but I only have ~35 hours of shadowing, and only 10 of which were with one doc.
It seems like KCOM really emphasizes the importance of clinical experience, which is a good thing! Thanks for the response and good luck with your interview!

current first years please comment on what to expect on interview day. and the amount of time we need to put in preparing for interview.
I personally didn't spend a tremendous amount of time preparing. By this point you should have basic answers down ( why medicine, why osteopathy, etc). Past that it's just about being a human and carrying a personable conversation. My interview was structured as 3 interviews of 30 minutes. 1 admissions official, 1 clinical (physician) faculty, and one "basic science" faculty (mine was biochem). The day is very relaxed and informative. They encouraged us to bring someone with on interview day. I brought my wife, although many bring a parent. Hope that helped! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users

I can't speak for everyone but my interview was dependent on me completing an additional 24 hours of shadowing with an osteopathic family physician. If they want something like that, though, it seems they'll tell you and give you a chance to do it. I prefer that to just rejecting because the applicant didn't have one small piece.

I personally didn't spend a tremendous amount of time preparing. By this point you should have basic answers down ( why medicine, why osteopathy, etc). Past that it's just about being a human and carrying a personable conversation. My interview was structured as 3 interviews of 30 minutes. 1 admissions official, 1 clinical (physician) faculty, and one "basic science" faculty (mine was biochem). The day is very relaxed and informative. They encouraged us to bring someone with on interview day. I brought my wife, although many bring a parent. Hope that helped! Good luck!
Also I am curious to know a little bit of information on post interview acceptance percentage wise.

Does anyone know if we have to stay for the whole interview day or can we leave a bit early to catch a flight? I plan on flying from the NW into Kansas city and then driving to Kirksville but the only flights coming back are at 6pm in Kansas City. I'm signed up for the 8:45 slot so if I could leave around 1 or 1:30 that would be optimal but I dont know if that's a bad look or not.

Also I am curious to know a little bit of information on post interview acceptance percentage wise.

They told us during orientation but I cannot recall for certain. I would like to say it was around 33% for the class of 2022. Don't take that as gospel truth, though. I want to say the numbers were about 1500 apps, and 500 interviews for a class of about 150 new first years. Of course, taking into consideration some accepted will not matriculate. I apologize if I'm lying to you but the classes are already pushing non-essential things from my mind so I'm giving my best.

Guys, I need your advice. I was rereading my answer for the diversity question in the secondary application, and found a few spelling errors and was a little off topic. What should I do? I was thinking of emailing the admin to let them know of the issue and see if they are ok with me sending them another version. What do you think?

Just received an email saying my application is "on hold". Super confused about what this means.

Just received an email saying my application is "on hold". Super confused about what this means.
Means they interested but they aint that interested.

Better than a flat out rejection

Reactions: 2 users
I was completed 7/16 and haven’t heard anything yet :lame:

Completed 7/24 and nothing.. what were your stats?

I have a green checkmark for completed but no date under notes. Does yours have a date?

No date for completed, only a check mark

504 MCAT - 123, 132, 123, 126
Cumulative GPA: University lists 3.60, AMCAS (c3.53, s3.41, ao3.96) AACOMAS(c3.53, s3.46, ao 3.71)

Cumulative GPA: University lists 3.60, AMCAS (c3.53, s3.41, ao3.96) AACOMAS(c3.53, s3.46, ao 3.71)

Guess your ecs are bomb / better than mine.

I'm 3.7/508

It won't let me. Seems your privacy settings don't allow for people to pm you.

But I also don't have a DO letter so that could be a huge factor as well.
I didn't have a DO letter either, but I think I changed the settings, so give it a shot now!

Where is it posted on the portal if you’ve been selected for an interview? Sorry if this is a dumb question haha

OMG you scored a 132 on CARS?! That’s crazy! My MCAT composite is also a 504(127/122/127/128). But my CARS sucked! Could you PM me how you prepared for it? Thank you. Congrats on your II

I just got a interview invite but I received it over email

Reactions: 1 users
For the secondary essay question asking about what particular qualities I can bring to KCOM, is it bad to refer back to experiences I have listed in my primary? I know I shouldn't fully write about an experience from my primary, but what if I say, "I have leadership experience because of (thing listed in primary) that I did in undergrad" and then elaborate on specific examples that I did not list in the primary?

For the secondary essay question asking about what particular qualities I can bring to KCOM, is it bad to refer back to experiences I have listed in my primary? I know I shouldn't fully write about an experience from my primary, but what if I say, "I have leadership experience because of (thing listed in primary) that I did in undergrad" and then elaborate on specific examples that I did not list in the primary?

Just avoid repetition and you should be okay! For example, I expanded on the various ways one transformative experience has impacted me and my future plans throughout my experiences section, personal statement, and secondaries and was invited to interview at ATSU-SOMA. Good luck to you!