2018-2019 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an accceptance email yesterday and a waitlist email today....... anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Withdrew my interview for Sept 21 because I have an acceptance closer to home. Hopefully one of you will be able to take my spot! Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
If you had multiple acceptances why did you choose ACOM? What advice would you give someone moving halfway across the country to attend.

Before coming to ACOM, I worked at one of the rotation locations and saw how well prepared the students were compared to other schools. I liked the sense that it seemed very close knit. Living in Dothan was also a plus because there's not as many distractions as other cities (but don't worry, there's still things to do). As for moving, I'm within the tristate area, so am probably not the best for that, but don't wait until a week before orientation to move in if possible! The last thing you need to do is stress about that before taking on school. If you haven't lived in the South, you'll need to get used to random people saying hi and talking to you. Be prepared to chose between Alabama and Auburn.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Before coming to ACOM, I worked at one of the rotation locations and saw how well prepared the students were compared to other schools. I liked the sense that it seemed very close knit. Living in Dothan was also a plus because there's not as many distractions as other cities (but don't worry, there's still things to do). As for moving, I'm within the tristate area, so am probably not the best for that, but don't wait until a week before orientation to move in if possible! The last thing you need to do is stress about that before taking on school. If you haven't lived in the South, you'll need to get used to random people saying hi and talking to you. Be prepared to chose between Alabama and Auburn.

And a word of advice. Don’t choose Auburn. My shuttle driver almost dropped me on the curb

Reactions: 2 users
And a word of advice. Don’t choose Auburn. My shuttle driver almost dropped me on the curb

What do y'all think will happen if I say UCF? Lol!

For any of the current students who commented:

I know during the interview Dr. Lenz said his goal is to open residencies at the SAMC. Do any of you know any projections for when these might go through and what the first couple specialties the residencies will be in?

For any of the current students who commented:

I know during the interview Dr. Lenz said his goal is to open residencies at the SAMC. Do any of you know any projections for when these might go through and what the first couple specialties the residencies will be in?

I believe that there is already an internal medicine residency at SAMC

SAMC announces first residency class

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email today the only thing missing from my application is a second LOR from a professor - I only have one. Do you think it's worth asking if they could waive this requirement? Or pointless?

Depends if you’re a nontrad. If you’re not, I doubt they’d waive it. But it never hurts to ask!

I was waitlisted today from the 8/31 interview, but I’m confident with waitlist movement. Congratulations to everyone accepted!

Do you plan on emailing them a letter of interest? Trying to decide if that would be beneficial, and if so, whether sooner would be better than later.

@Gsxrdoc I plan to after I have a few updates to my application. I did not have a DO letter so that probably hurt me (at least I tried). I have not heard of people coming off the waitlist before spring time when people start dropping acceptances, but I could be missing something.

Hey everyone, I had a quick question: my secondary was submitted on 8/21 with notification from ACOM, but my final third LOR (the committee letter) wasn't uploaded to AACOMAS until 9/6. That was the only thing missing from my application. I haven't heard anything back from them since the email on 8/21. Do they wait until all materials reach them to review your app? Or is this a ghosting?

On a side note, I went to the open house on 8/25 and loved it. Everyone seemed so nice (the ambassadors and fellow applicants) and am wishing everyone the best of luck!!!

Hey everyone, I had a quick question: my secondary was submitted on 8/21 with notification from ACOM, but my final third LOR (the committee letter) wasn't uploaded to AACOMAS until 9/6. That was the only thing missing from my application. I haven't heard anything back from them since the email on 8/21. Do they wait until all materials reach them to review your app? Or is this a ghosting?

On a side note, I went to the open house on 8/25 and loved it. Everyone seemed so nice (the ambassadors and fellow applicants) and am wishing everyone the best of luck!!!
they wait until everything is submitted before reviewing. you will get an email saying it is complete and being sent to committee

Withdrew my interview for 9/21. Best of luck all! :)

flights to Dothan from where I live are cruising (no pun intended) around $450-$500 :O

flights to Dothan from where I live are cruising (no pun intended) around $450-$500 :O
It's cheaper to fly into Atlanta and then drive to dothan.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Interview this Friday, I'm so excited! RTR (roll tide roll)

What were your all's stats, if you don't mind me asking?

LM 60. years clinical experience and several years of clinical and non-clinical volunteering.. super oos with no connections though

Last edited:
Not selected for an interview.

Nontrad, 3.0 gpa/511 MCAT
Doing a postbacc program this year

Pre II hold. I kind of took it as a rejection unless you submit a significant update, which hopefully I will after this semester’s postbacc grades. But that’s my less than optimistic view.

I don’t know if this school is different, but a lot of schools won’t reject you until very close to the end of the cycle even if you have almost no chance.

Anyone who interviewed 9/7 on here?

No calls yet ?
Nada. I thought they said we would hear back early in the week but I guess they got busy. Hopefully a call, and not an email, comes through tomorrow though!!!

Nada. I thought they said we would hear back early in the week but I guess they got busy. Hopefully a call, and not an email, comes through tomorrow though!!!

I was assuming they probably wouldn’t call tomorrow since I’m sure they are interviewing again. Might have to wait until next week ....

The calls will come out today. My magic 8 ball never steers me wrong!

Reactions: 1 users