2018-2019 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope this means we all did so well they’re having a hard time deciding!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I keep checking everything non stop...Maybe tomorrow will be the day! :nailbiting:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also does anyone know how they weigh different aspects of your app in the admissions process (interview, LORs, personal statement, experiences, secondary essays, etc.)?

Good luck to the interviewees tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Looking forward to meeting my fellow interviewees tomorrow! If anyone wants to hang out, PM me. I'm staying at the Comfort Inn.

Looks like we will be hearing back sometime next week being tomorrow is interview day again & Mr. Willis is busy with that

Just got a complete email after submitting july 17. Should I be worried ?

Looks like we will be hearing back sometime next week being tomorrow is interview day again & Mr. Willis is busy with that

That's what I was thinking. Although, he helped with directing people in, then Ashley brought people up to interviews and we didn't see Mr. Willis again until the tour around 12. Also, the day is over around 2, so there's still time.... I HAVE HOPE! Lol I can't go another weekend not knowing. :boom:

Reactions: 2 users
Not a current student, but I'm interviewing this Friday. I will report back afterwards how the interview felt. One change this year is that it is a 1 hour 2 on 1 instead of 2-30 minute 1 on 1 interviews.
This is actually how we interviewed last year. 2-on-1

Current first year. I don’t have much experience yet as classes just started but if you guys have any questions, feel free to reach out and I might be able to at least try to answer your question.

This is actually how we interviewed last year. 2-on-1

Yeah. That's how my interview was. When I read the website (a few months ago?) it said 2 separate 30 minute 1 on 1 interviews. That's why I thought it was different. My mistake.

Is anyone else having issues with seeing their interview appointment in the portal? I scheduled my appointment this Monday and was able to see my interview date and time but I tried checking again last night and nothing shows up.

Oddly enough, I can see it if I use my phone to go on the portal.

I hope they didn't cancel on me :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else having issues with seeing their interview appointment in the portal? I scheduled my appointment this Monday and was able to see my interview date and time but I tried checking again last night and nothing shows up.

Oddly enough, I can see it if I use my phone to go on the portal.

I hope they didn't cancel on me :(

When I click the "my schedule" link in the top right-hand corner, it shows my interview date.

Accepted!! Absolutely thrilled! What a long journey this has been.
Congrats to everyone who was accepted and stay positive for those waiting!!

Reactions: 10 users
For those accepted, did anyone receive the email with info that they said they were sending or is that supposed to be later? I'm assuming they are still calling people so might be sending them after, but just checking

missed call from Dothan smh what do I do

During the interview, he says that he calls twice so I’d just wait for a bit!

I also haven’t gotten an email yet so maybe they’re sending it later

For any ACOM students, just wanted to know what the surrounding area was like and how's the diversity? I'm interested in the school, but I've never been to south besides Florida and Texas.

The area is nice. There are so many Floridians and quite a few Texans here at ACOM. Dothan is pretty close to Panama city if you're ever feeling homesick.

For any ACOM students, just wanted to know what the surrounding area was like and how's the diversity? I'm interested in the school, but I've never been to south besides Florida and Texas.
Rereading what you wrote, I see you might NOT be from the south. We have plenty of people from around the US settled here at ACOM. Dothan is cute city with everything you need and not too many distractions.

When I click the "my schedule" link in the top right-hand corner, it shows my interview date.
When I click my schedule, nothing shows up. Unless I use my phones internet browser, then I see my appointment.

Rereading what you wrote, I see you might NOT be from the south. We have plenty of people from around the US settled here at ACOM. Dothan is cute city with everything you need and not too many distractions.

Lol, yeah I'm from the Chicago area. Awesome, that's great to hear! I didn't want to make any assumptions about the area, but also wanted to get the question out.

Lol, yeah I'm from the Chicago area. Awesome, that's great to hear! I didn't want to make any assumptions about the area, but also wanted to get the question out.

I’m from the suburbs and I didn’t think Dothan was as rural as some people may think. To me, it’s a step below suburban, but a step above rural.

There’s not a lot of diversity in restaurants like Chicago. Mainly chain and southern food restaurants.

Driving in Dothan is easy and there’s not much traffic compared to a big city.

Minimal distractions, which is great so you can focus on your studies.

However, if you need a weekend getaway, Panama City Beach and Tallahassee are 1.5 hours away, Atlanta about 3.5 hours away, and New Orleans is 5 hours away.

Dothan is known as the peanut capital so they have a peanut festival in the fall. This past February, they held a little Mardi Gras parade in downtown Dothan.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m from the suburbs and I didn’t think Dothan was as rural as some people may think. To me, it’s a step below suburban, but a step above rural.

There’s not a lot of diversity in restaurants like Chicago. Mainly chain and southern food restaurants.

Driving in Dothan is easy and there’s not much traffic compared to a big city.

Minimal distractions, which is great so you can focus on your studies.

However, if you need a weekend getaway, Panama City Beach and Tallahassee are 1.5 hours away, Atlanta about 3.5 hours away, and New Orleans is 5 hours away.

Dothan is known as the peanut capital so they have a peanut festival in the fall. This past February, they held a little Mardi Gras parade in downtown Dothan.

Great! Glad to hear students visit the surrounding cities. Thanks for the information!

Interviewed on the 3rd, if I haven’t gotten a call yet or email do you think there’s a chance I’ll get a call next week that I was accepted... :oops:

99667B13-D27F-4681-9790-01F1242942A6.jpeg
Thank you! Do you have a list of clinical rotation sides available for ACOM students?

I found the pic of the most recent clinical rotation sites.

For anyone interviewing and flying in/out of Dothan:
There is Lyft and Uber here that my husband drives for if anyone needs a ride.

for people that got accepted do you mind sharing stats? and congratulations guys!!!!!

I interviewed August 3rd and did not get a phone call, does that mean I got rejected :3

wait a minute, so after my interview, i'll get notified within two weeks if I am accepted and I have to pay 2 grand for them to hold my spot?? Most schools send IIs up until January! what if I interview at another school later on and get accepted sometime next year and decide to there instead? I pay 2 grand for nothing?

wait a minute, so after my interview, i'll get notified within a week if I am accepted and I have to pay 2 grand for them to hold my spot?? Most schools send IIs up until January! what if I interview at another school later on and get accepted sometime next year???
You have until December to decide, if you get accepted before November. If accepted later, the time to decide is reduced from my understanding

You have until December to decide, if you get accepted before November. If accepted later, the time to decide is reduced from my understanding
hmmm.. well in that case I think it seems reasonable to just keep pushing back my interview then.

hmmm.. well in that case I think it seems reasonable to just keep pushing back my interview then.

You can do what you want, but most schools follow rolling admissions. Therefore, it becomes more difficult to gain an acceptance as the cycle goes on. By pushing your interview back, you risk not gaining an acceptance. To my knowledge, all DO schools follow this deposit schedule. If accepted before November 15th, first deposit is due December 15th. After December 15th, you have 30 days. After that, the time frame gets even shorter, all the way to an immediate deposit. So even if you push your interview back to January and got accepted, you'd have 30 days to deposit. What if you get accepted somewhere else 45 days after your January acceptance? As most people say, med school is ~$200K+. Losing $2000 is nothing. On another note, I cannot imagine pushing back an interview looks good to an adcom. Good luck this cycle! It's a long and expensice process.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey all. I have heard some here and theres about the benefits of this school. I am curious to get some insight from students who are currently there, people who know students there, or applicants who know all about the school: why is this school your top choice, or on your top list? What specifics do you love about it?

Hey all. I have heard some here and theres about the benefits of this school. I am curious to get some insight from students who are currently there, people who know students there, or applicants who know all about the school: why is this school your top choice, or on your top list? What specifics do you love about it?

During my interview day, I felt like ACOM was a good fit for me. I didn’t get questioned if I was going to pursue a primary care specialty and I had a great experience compared to my interview at another DO school. Students were friendly, answered all my questions, and did not seem miserable. Also, I’m from the gulf coast region so location and being able to drive home during free weekends was a pro for me.

During my first few years, we had an amazing OMM dept and they prepared us well for the OMM portion for COMLEX. The faculty always tried to be available for the students, and on some occasions, they were able to treat my pains using OMM.

ACOM “pays” for our COMBANK subscriptions for level 1 & 2, subscription to Pathoma and board vitals, and vouchers for COMLEX level 1 & 2. We also got a new MacBook Air and iPad mini.

What attracted me the most to ACOM when I applied was its established clinical rotation sites. Even though the school had two classes before me when I applied, they had rotations set up from its previous consortium. Some schools didn’t have strong clinical years, and for me, that was more important than the first two years of school. My thoughts were that anyone at any school can prepare for step 1/level 1 on their own if they were willing and motivated, but it’s more difficult getting a great clinical education if the school didn’t have one set up. At least when I start intern year and residency, I won’t be entirely unprepared. Also, a major pro is that for our fourth year, it’s mainly electives. I have the option to complete my fourth year back home instead of at one of ACOM’s rotation sites.

My biggest gripe was the mandatory step 1/level 1 board prep program we were required to complete at the end of second year. It was more so that the program wasn’t one of the more popular choices like DIT or Kaplan, which I would have been fine with. It was a newer program that I had my qualms about. I wished it was optional for the students who scored above their board score cutoff. I had my own plans for studying for boards, and I felt it was difficult attending these lectures that weren’t benefiting me, and then going home to study for boards my way and completing UWorld questions.

But overall, I’ve been content at ACOM.

Reactions: 5 users
You can do what you want, but most schools follow rolling admissions. Therefore, it becomes more difficult to gain an acceptance as the cycle goes on. By pushing your interview back, you risk not gaining an acceptance. To my knowledge, all DO schools follow this deposit schedule. If accepted before November 15th, first deposit is due December 15th. After December 15th, you have 30 days. After that, the time frame gets even shorter, all the way to an immediate deposit. So even if you push your interview back to January and got accepted, you'd have 30 days to deposit. What if you get accepted somewhere else 45 days after your January acceptance? As most people say, med school is ~$200K+. Losing $2000 is nothing. On another note, I cannot imagine pushing back an interview looks good to an adcom. Good luck this cycle! It's a long and expensice process.
I appreciate your insight. *sigh* I guess in the long run $2k is "nothing." Well, time for me to save up!

I appreciate your insight. *sigh* I guess in the long run $2k is "nothing." Well, time for me to save up!

Lol. Yeah. I would just hate to see a qualified applicant miss out on an opportunity to attend medical school over a deposit.

Hello ACOM, it's me Cheese Machine. I know you've been really busy, but I just wanted to remind you that its Monday so this would be a great time to send out some IIs

Reactions: 4 users
I wouldn't worry about a deposit until you receive an acceptance tbh. Worry first about your interview !

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone flying into ATL September 20th, for the interview on 21st. Then driving back to ATL?

Anyone want to split the rental car haha

I know ACOM is strict with their letter requirements. My physician LOR on AACOMAS (uploaded via Interfolio) doesn't have a signature, but I already have the updated LOR with a signature on Interfolio (side note: you can't reupload/update a LOR on AACOMAS if it was sent via Interfolio).

So I'd like some advice from someone who may be familiar with their strict letter requirements:
I already submitted my secondary and I'm waiting for the "supplemental/LOR received" email. Should I go ahead and send the updated LOR via Interfolio directly to ACOM? Or should I wait to send it until I receive the inevitable email that says my LOR does not meet the requirements? I don't want to possibly confuse the person in charge of sorting LORs by having two letters from the same person (maybe this is actually easy to figure out and I'm overthinking this), but I also don't want to have the delay in completing my application when I already anticipate what the problem will be.

I know ACOM is strict with their letter requirements. My physician LOR on AACOMAS (uploaded via Interfolio) doesn't have a signature, but I already have the updated LOR with a signature on Interfolio (side note: you can't reupload/update a LOR on AACOMAS if it was sent via Interfolio).

So I'd like some advice from someone who may be familiar with their strict letter requirements:
I already submitted my secondary and I'm waiting for the "supplemental/LOR received" email. Should I go ahead and send the updated LOR via Interfolio directly to ACOM? Or should I wait to send it until I receive the inevitable email that says my LOR does not meet the requirements? I don't want to possibly confuse the person in charge of sorting LORs by having two letters from the same person (maybe this is actually easy to figure out and I'm overthinking this), but I also don't want to have the delay in completing my application when I already anticipate what the problem will be.

The email I got from them asked for the updated letter to be emailed by the writer. I would personally just wait.. but you could also call and ask- they were seriously so sweet and so helpful when I had a hiccup in my application!

The email I got from them asked for the updated letter to be emailed by the writer. I would personally just wait.. but you could also call and ask- they were seriously so sweet and so helpful when I had a hiccup in my application!
Thank you very much for the response :)