1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

2018-2019 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

Discussion in 'Osteopathic School-Specific Discussions' started by chizledfrmstone, Jun 17, 2018.

1. esob

esob Protomolecule
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    They opened up some more dates, which was nice because it allowed me to move my interview so that I didn't have to miss my cell bio lab.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PfizerSpartan7

I have a 3.17 gpa and a 502 with a very uneven spread because English is my second language. My interview is Sept. 7. I think I am flying in to panama city beach as well, if anyone wants to split costs on a room please DM me!

4. animalluver101

animalluver101 Memento mori

Pre-Medical
    Has anyone in the first interview group heard anything back yet? I’ve had radio silence so far.

5. Pharmd2MD92

Nothing here. Hoping to hear something today. Last year in the first ~4-5 groups everyone heard back on Tuesday, but one group heard back Thursday.

6. animalluver101

Pre-Medical
    I hope this means we all did so well they’re having a hard time deciding!

CJhooper123 and Pharmd2MD92 like this.
  7. Pharmd2MD92

Well adcom met Monday. So they're either waiting on dean's decision or just torturing us lol :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

8. Applicant5678

Pre-Medical
    I keep checking everything non stop...Maybe tomorrow will be the day! :nailbiting:

animalluver101 likes this.
  9. Applicant5678

Pre-Medical
    Also does anyone know how they weigh different aspects of your app in the admissions process (interview, LORs, personal statement, experiences, secondary essays, etc.)?

10. MissDr.

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Good luck to the interviewees tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

CJhooper123 and Darth Revan93 like this.
  11. Darth Revan93

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Looking forward to meeting my fellow interviewees tomorrow! If anyone wants to hang out, PM me. I'm staying at the Comfort Inn.

12. ggregory5

Looks like we will be hearing back sometime next week being tomorrow is interview day again & Mr. Willis is busy with that

13. quinnofharts

Pre-Medical
    Just got a complete email after submitting july 17. Should I be worried ?

14. Pharmd2MD92

That's what I was thinking. Although, he helped with directing people in, then Ashley brought people up to interviews and we didn't see Mr. Willis again until the tour around 12. Also, the day is over around 2, so there's still time.... I HAVE HOPE! Lol I can't go another weekend not knowing. :boom:

15. smurfin57

This is actually how we interviewed last year. 2-on-1

16. smurfin57

Current first year. I don’t have much experience yet as classes just started but if you guys have any questions, feel free to reach out and I might be able to at least try to answer your question.

17. Pharmd2MD92

Yeah. That's how my interview was. When I read the website (a few months ago?) it said 2 separate 30 minute 1 on 1 interviews. That's why I thought it was different. My mistake.

18. Backsideattacked

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is anyone else having issues with seeing their interview appointment in the portal? I scheduled my appointment this Monday and was able to see my interview date and time but I tried checking again last night and nothing shows up.

Oddly enough, I can see it if I use my phone to go on the portal.

I hope they didn't cancel on me :(

19. esob

esob Protomolecule

Pre-Medical
    When I click the "my schedule" link in the top right-hand corner, it shows my interview date.

20. Pharmd2MD92

21. Applicant5678

Pre-Medical
  22. animalluver101

Pre-Medical
  23. ggregory5

missed call from Dothan smh what do I do

24. Applicant5678

Pre-Medical
    I would just call back, but if not you could just reply when you get the acceptance email

25. CJhooper123

CJhooper123 B.A. in Chemistry and Getting Buckets
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Accepted!! Absolutely thrilled! What a long journey this has been.
    Congrats to everyone who was accepted and stay positive for those waiting!!

26. Applicant5678

Pre-Medical
    For those accepted, did anyone receive the email with info that they said they were sending or is that supposed to be later? I'm assuming they are still calling people so might be sending them after, but just checking

27. animalluver101

Pre-Medical
    During the interview, he says that he calls twice so I’d just wait for a bit!

I also haven’t gotten an email yet so maybe they’re sending it later

Applicant5678 and CJhooper123 like this.
  28. examsandyams

Pre-Medical
    For any ACOM students, just wanted to know what the surrounding area was like and how's the diversity? I'm interested in the school, but I've never been to south besides Florida and Texas.

MissDr. likes this.
  29. MissDr.

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The area is nice. There are so many Floridians and quite a few Texans here at ACOM. Dothan is pretty close to Panama city if you're ever feeling homesick.

30. MissDr.

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Rereading what you wrote, I see you might NOT be from the south. We have plenty of people from around the US settled here at ACOM. Dothan is cute city with everything you need and not too many distractions.

examsandyams likes this.
  31. Backsideattacked

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    When I click my schedule, nothing shows up. Unless I use my phones internet browser, then I see my appointment.

32. examsandyams

Pre-Medical
    Lol, yeah I'm from the Chicago area. Awesome, that's great to hear! I didn't want to make any assumptions about the area, but also wanted to get the question out.

33. moyamoya6

I’m from the suburbs and I didn’t think Dothan was as rural as some people may think. To me, it’s a step below suburban, but a step above rural.

There’s not a lot of diversity in restaurants like Chicago. Mainly chain and southern food restaurants.

Driving in Dothan is easy and there’s not much traffic compared to a big city.

Minimal distractions, which is great so you can focus on your studies.

However, if you need a weekend getaway, Panama City Beach and Tallahassee are 1.5 hours away, Atlanta about 3.5 hours away, and New Orleans is 5 hours away.

Dothan is known as the peanut capital so they have a peanut festival in the fall. This past February, they held a little Mardi Gras parade in downtown Dothan.

34. examsandyams

Pre-Medical
    Great! Glad to hear students visit the surrounding cities. Thanks for the information!

35. esob

esob Protomolecule

Pre-Medical
    trying clearing the cache on your internet browser

36. Backsideattacked

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Ah! It worked! Thanks so much

esob likes this.
  37. therealest15

Pre-Medical
    Interviewed on the 3rd, if I haven’t gotten a call yet or email do you think there’s a chance I’ll get a call next week that I was accepted... :oops:

idk23341 likes this.
  38. moyamoya6

99667B13-D27F-4681-9790-01F1242942A6.jpeg
    I found the pic of the most recent clinical rotation sites.

Backsideattacked and CJhooper123 like this.
  39. stephame7

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    For anyone interviewing and flying in/out of Dothan:
    There is Lyft and Uber here that my husband drives for if anyone needs a ride.

SAMWALTON and doc1994 like this.
  40. pinklemonade2121

for people that got accepted do you mind sharing stats? and congratulations guys!!!!!

iwasthisclose likes this.
  41. idk23341

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I interviewed August 3rd and did not get a phone call, does that mean I got rejected :3

42. zaitoun

Pre-Medical
    wait a minute, so after my interview, i'll get notified within two weeks if I am accepted and I have to pay 2 grand for them to hold my spot?? Most schools send IIs up until January! what if I interview at another school later on and get accepted sometime next year and decide to there instead? I pay 2 grand for nothing?

43. idk23341

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You have until December to decide, if you get accepted before November. If accepted later, the time to decide is reduced from my understanding

44. zaitoun

Pre-Medical
    hmmm.. well in that case I think it seems reasonable to just keep pushing back my interview then.

45. Pharmd2MD92

You can do what you want, but most schools follow rolling admissions. Therefore, it becomes more difficult to gain an acceptance as the cycle goes on. By pushing your interview back, you risk not gaining an acceptance. To my knowledge, all DO schools follow this deposit schedule. If accepted before November 15th, first deposit is due December 15th. After December 15th, you have 30 days. After that, the time frame gets even shorter, all the way to an immediate deposit. So even if you push your interview back to January and got accepted, you'd have 30 days to deposit. What if you get accepted somewhere else 45 days after your January acceptance? As most people say, med school is ~$200K+. Losing $2000 is nothing. On another note, I cannot imagine pushing back an interview looks good to an adcom. Good luck this cycle! It's a long and expensice process.

46. medstudent1215

Pre-Medical
    Hey all. I have heard some here and theres about the benefits of this school. I am curious to get some insight from students who are currently there, people who know students there, or applicants who know all about the school: why is this school your top choice, or on your top list? What specifics do you love about it?

47. moyamoya6

During my interview day, I felt like ACOM was a good fit for me. I didn’t get questioned if I was going to pursue a primary care specialty and I had a great experience compared to my interview at another DO school. Students were friendly, answered all my questions, and did not seem miserable. Also, I’m from the gulf coast region so location and being able to drive home during free weekends was a pro for me.

During my first few years, we had an amazing OMM dept and they prepared us well for the OMM portion for COMLEX. The faculty always tried to be available for the students, and on some occasions, they were able to treat my pains using OMM.

ACOM “pays” for our COMBANK subscriptions for level 1 & 2, subscription to Pathoma and board vitals, and vouchers for COMLEX level 1 & 2. We also got a new MacBook Air and iPad mini.

What attracted me the most to ACOM when I applied was its established clinical rotation sites. Even though the school had two classes before me when I applied, they had rotations set up from its previous consortium. Some schools didn’t have strong clinical years, and for me, that was more important than the first two years of school. My thoughts were that anyone at any school can prepare for step 1/level 1 on their own if they were willing and motivated, but it’s more difficult getting a great clinical education if the school didn’t have one set up. At least when I start intern year and residency, I won’t be entirely unprepared. Also, a major pro is that for our fourth year, it’s mainly electives. I have the option to complete my fourth year back home instead of at one of ACOM’s rotation sites.

My biggest gripe was the mandatory step 1/level 1 board prep program we were required to complete at the end of second year. It was more so that the program wasn’t one of the more popular choices like DIT or Kaplan, which I would have been fine with. It was a newer program that I had my qualms about. I wished it was optional for the students who scored above their board score cutoff. I had my own plans for studying for boards, and I felt it was difficult attending these lectures that weren’t benefiting me, and then going home to study for boards my way and completing UWorld questions.

But overall, I’ve been content at ACOM.

48. zaitoun

Pre-Medical
    I appreciate your insight. *sigh* I guess in the long run $2k is "nothing." Well, time for me to save up!

Pharmd2MD92 likes this.
  49. Pharmd2MD92

Lol. Yeah. I would just hate to see a qualified applicant miss out on an opportunity to attend medical school over a deposit.

zaitoun likes this.
  50. Cheese Machine

Pre-Medical
    Hello ACOM, it's me Cheese Machine. I know you've been really busy, but I just wanted to remind you that its Monday so this would be a great time to send out some IIs

Xanias, CJhooper123, doc1994 and 2 others like this.
  51. smurfin57

I wouldn't worry about a deposit until you receive an acceptance tbh. Worry first about your interview !