2018-2019 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just withdrew my waitlist spot- good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I will be withdrawing my acceptance here. Had a hard time deciding between schools, but decided to stay in state. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wanted some opinions on commuting. My SO is a grad student at Duke, and we are thinking about living in the middle (Would be around a 30 minute commute for me). I was wondering if anyone else has experience with this? Is a drive like this reasonable, or would it be a better idea for me to get an apartment closer to campus by myself? Any replies are appreciated, thanks!!

Wanted some opinions on commuting. My SO is a grad student at Duke, and we are thinking about living in the middle (Would be around a 30 minute commute for me). I was wondering if anyone else has experience with this? Is a drive like this reasonable, or would it be a better idea for me to get an apartment closer to campus by myself? Any replies are appreciated, thanks!!

My SO is at Duke Med, so we’re in Durham. I took biochem and physics at Campbell before applying, so I drove from Durham to campus 4x/week. And I’ll be doing it everyday next year. I take the tollway. It’s pricey, but it’s such an easy drive. Anyway, I pass through places like Apex, Holly Springs (my favorite town), etc., so chances are I passed where you’ll be staying on my way to Campbell from Durham. It’s an easy drive all the way down. Even on the basic two lane roads, traffic is always light and moving fast. My biggest delay has been a bus stop here and there. Over the entire year of driving, I never once was stuck i traffic. Overall a very easy commute. If I were ever to move south, I’d go to Holly Springs, great city with an movie theatre, target, SBUX, etc, and Campbell is just down the road it seems (25 min).

Reactions: 1 user
Current students: What is the likelihood/chance of receiving your top choice for rotations? I am looking at buying a house in Fayetteville but don’t want to commute far. However, if I request Fayetteville for rotations site what is likelihood of me getting it? I am willing to commute to Buies Creek for 2 years if it means a good chance of having a short commute to clinical rotations for years 3 and 4. Please advise!

Current students: What is the likelihood/chance of receiving your top choice for rotations? I am looking at buying a house in Fayetteville but don’t want to commute far. However, if I request Fayetteville for rotations site what is likelihood of me getting it? I am willing to commute to Buies Creek for 2 years if it means a good chance of having a short commute to clinical rotations for years 3 and 4. Please advise!

If you have a spouse who will be working there or children you will be enrolling in school there, you will be able to submit a hardship waiver, assuming the policy doesn't change between now and then. FYI you cannot do multiple away rotations if you submit a hardship waiver, which only matters for certain specialties. The logic is that if you can't leave for 1.5 years for rotations you can't leave for 2-4 months either - prevents abuse of hardships. And no, owning property nearby does not count.

If no hardship, it's a lottery. You have 3 sites you can easily commute to from there: Fayetteville, Lumberton, or Harnett. The school's goal is to place everyone at one of their top 3 choices. So high likelihood you could stay in Fayetteville and commute for rotations, but no guarantee.

FWIW I personally would not buy unless you have a spouse and/or children and will be hardshipping. Particularly if you'll only be happy if you're placed at Fayetteville - I wouldn't bet a house on that. It's not the most popular site but it's certainly not the least. Students who purchase property generally are either planning to hardship or flexible with commuting for rotations.

This is all coming from a first year who hasn't been through the process at all yet and is relaying second-hand info. You should reach out to student affairs regarding this for more information.

If you have a spouse who will be working there or children you will be enrolling in school there, you will be able to submit a hardship waiver, assuming the policy doesn't change between now and then. FYI you cannot do multiple away rotations if you submit a hardship waiver, which only matters for certain specialties. The logic is that if you can't leave for 1.5 years for rotations you can't leave for 2-4 months either - prevents abuse of hardships. And no, owning property nearby does not count.

If no hardship, it's a lottery. You have 3 sites you can easily commute to from there: Fayetteville, Lumberton, or Harnett. The school's goal is to place everyone at one of their top 3 choices. So high likelihood you could stay in Fayetteville and commute for rotations, but no guarantee.

FWIW I personally would not buy unless you have a spouse and/or children and will be hardshipping. Particularly if you'll only be happy if you're placed at Fayetteville - I wouldn't bet a house on that. It's not the most popular site but it's certainly not the least. Students who purchase property generally are either planning to hardship or flexible with commuting for rotations.

This is all coming from a first year who hasn't been through the process at all yet and is relaying second-hand info. You should reach out to student affairs regarding this for more information.
True.

It’s a lottery. Don’t buy if you cannot handle that you might not be living there in two years