2018-2019 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, you go back to campus for shelf exams, of which there are like 7 or 8?

For the board prep, are you referring to level 1 or 2? The answer is yes to both; you get COMBANK access for all 3 years. We got extra Kaplan materials for level 1, but tbh, I'm not sure if that's still happening.

Thanks! We had a great match this year. :)

That's great! Yes, I was referring to both levels.
Thank you for answering my q's and good luck wherever the match is taking you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!

Did you send them a letter or express interest in any other way that you think helped get off the waitlist?

I did send them a letter of intent about a week after I got on the waitlist. I'm not sure if this helped or not, but I don't think it hurts!

Reactions: 1 user
Are the computers that they give us ours to keep?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can a current student common on the night life / weekend life of students?

Can a current student common on the night life / weekend life of students?

I'm not a current student but one of my good friends is an MS1 and he said that the weekend after test week a group of people will take busses to Raleigh to go downtown. Otherwise it depends on where you live! I currently live in Raleigh which has a lot of night life, Fuquay is closer to Raleigh and has some breweries, but if you live really close to campus there is basically nothing. You'll have to travel a little bit for night life

I'm not a current student but one of my good friends is an MS1 and he said that the weekend after test week a group of people will take busses to Raleigh to go downtown. Otherwise it depends on where you live! I currently live in Raleigh which has a lot of night life, Fuquay is closer to Raleigh and has some breweries, but if you live really close to campus there is basically nothing. You'll have to travel a little bit for night life

Where in Raleigh do you live? The wife and I will be looking in Raleigh and would love to get some ideas of good areas for renting/possibly buying! Close to downtown or similar walkable areas would be ideal.

So are you going to move near the campus after graduating from NC State? BTW is that your daughter in the pic?

Literally, 5 new apartment complexes are being made off of Clark Ave/ Oberlin Rd. (central Raleigh). All are in a VERY walkable locations. They probably will be done by summer. I highly recommend based off of location. With this being said, it's obviously going to be more expensive than if you were to move to west or south raleigh. Also, (idk if it's possible), but NCSU has the BEST library... so if you don't want to study on Campbell's campus, you can walk from home to the NCSU library. Idk if they will say anything if you are a non-student though. The drive from downtown Raleigh to Campbell is 45 min., but the drive is very easy.

I second this!! I live right off of Hillsborough street. You can use NCSU libraries (it's a public campus) except during finals then they require a student ID. The only thing is these apartment complexes will probably have a lot of college students living there, up to you guys if you're fine with that. There are a lot of neighborhoods close to NCSU campus that are always renting out houses. This area is fairly close to downtown, maybe 5 minute drive!

So are you going to move near the campus after graduating from NC State? BTW is that your daughter in the pic?

Yes I'm going to move closer to Campbell's campus, not sure exactly where yet. And no it's my niece! :)

Literally, 5 new apartment complexes are being made off of Clark Ave/ Oberlin Rd. (central Raleigh). All are in a VERY walkable locations. They probably will be done by summer. I highly recommend based off of location. With this being said, it's obviously going to be more expensive than if you were to move to west or south raleigh. Also, (idk if it's possible), but NCSU has the BEST library... so if you don't want to study on Campbell's campus, you can walk from home to the NCSU library. Idk if they will say anything if you are a non-student though. The drive from downtown Raleigh to Campbell is 45 min., but the drive is very easy.
Awesome, thanks! The library idea sounds like a great idea, especially if there are other people in Raleigh that would be good to meet up and study. And I'm glad to hear someone agrees with Google on the drive. It looked doable on the computer, but real-world validation is great.

Can any current students comment on the openness of the social environment at Campbell? Specifically, how would you characterize the experience of a non-Christian or LGBT student with faculty/peers? I'm sure most everyone at CUSOM is lovely, but it feels worth asking about (especially in light of comparisons to LUCOM).

Our current first year class’s elected SGA leadership has multiple openly gay and lesbian officers in its highest positions (so proud of my class)!! No prayer has been forced on me. It’s there for those who want it. I’m agnostic and I’ve always felt comfortable. There are students openly of various faiths as well. There is one faculty member that likes to say a prayer before lecture starts but tons of the students just ignore it and keep looking at their laptop. I’ve never been less put off by someone asking me to pray with them because it’s clear he is one of those professors that really cares about his students being successful and he’s trying to do that in any way he can.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Guys I’m so sad to see the negative comments in this thread. As a first year student at this school, med school is super rough sometimes cause it’s medical school, but I’m glad I’m at CUSOM for so many reasons. If you don’t want to be a DO or don’t want to live in a rural area for 2 years, that’s totally cool, there are other schools out there that will be a better fit for you.

I have no idea what my classmates said that turned off the interviewee that lit up the thread a couple weeks ago, but from what I’ve seen thus far and learned from more senior students here, our students tend to do well on boards and in the match. Our third graduating class this year had 100% placement, as did the 2 classes before them. Not many DO schools can boast that they’ve successfully placed EVERY graduate. Think about that - it must include a few board failures and students who had to repeat a year due to course failures. On the other end of the spectrum we had a neurosurg and several ortho matches this year.

Also, I’m not one to throw shade usually but since so much is being thrown, I’m not sure how much I would trust an applicant’s claims of what the students said when they slept through the interview day so much that they didn’t even know that there was an AOA match through 2019 :smack:

Reactions: 3 users
Kind of a dumb question, but what are people planning on wearing to accepted students day? I know they said casual, but I don't want to be too casual.

Kind of a dumb question, but what are people planning on wearing to accepted students day? I know they said casual, but I don't want to be too casual.
Athletic Shorts/shirt and a hat lol no one to impress on that day! you're in already!

Do you go back for exams during rotations or where do you take those? Also, if you don't mind me asking, did you guys get any board prep material? And congratulations on this year's match!!!

Current MS1...our class has combank and Kaplan qbanks for level/step 1. Yes, MS3s return to campus for their COMATs.

Athletic Shorts/shirt and a hat lol no one to impress on that day! you're in already!

Not sure if serious but avoid shorts and t-shirts. The riskiest I would go is jeans with a polo. Wear khakis if you want to play it safe. Ladies wear khakis or other non-jeans with a decent shirt.

Not sure if serious but avoid shorts and t-shirts. The riskiest I would go is jeans with a polo. Wear khakis if you want to play it safe. Ladies wear khakis or other non-jeans with a decent shirt.
idont-understand-what-constitutes-business-casual-andat-this-point-m-32987240.png

Guys I’m so sad to see the negative comments in this thread. As a first year student at this school, med school is super rough sometimes cause it’s medical school, but I’m glad I’m at CUSOM for so many reasons. If you don’t want to be a DO or don’t want to live in a rural area for 2 years, that’s totally cool, there are other schools out there that will be a better fit for you.

Rest assured, not everyone who interviewed at CUSOM got the impression that students were miserable. I actually felt the students seemed happy and were incredibly friendly with both interviewees and one another. Overall, it seemed like a very positive social environment. As for the academics, CUSOM's really strong 2019 residency placement is really reassuring to me as an incoming student and should be to anyone else with concerns. https://assets.campbell.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/03/Match-Day-PowerPoint-2019.pdf

Also, thanks for the input regarding the religiosity/openness of the school. I've actually spoken with a CUSOM faculty member about the topic, and got the impression that the school was a generally inclusive environment. Just wanted a student's input.

Last edited:
Do people think the last batch of decisions from interviews will go out today? Admissions said Monday 3/18 was most likely their last interview day

Will most of the waitlist decisions be made in April do you think? Just trying to gage when to expect something, as many others are I assume!

Will most of the waitlist decisions be made in April do you think? Just trying to gage when to expect something, as many others are I assume!

They did mention that they’re movement is pretty quick since they meet decently often, so it shouldn’t be well past april before you have a decision. That would be my best guess

I’m a current student and in no way involved in admissions but I believe most of the movement happens in May and June based on previous threads and talking to other students. The single-acceptance day for allopathic applicants is April 30. There will be some trickle-down waitlist movement at DO schools, as some holding a DO acceptance will relinquish it when they get off an MD waitlist.

I studied a lot at Hunt Library and it was great. Study break with their ice cream downstairs, ugh, so good.

Also, I kind of commuted between Raleigh and campus a lot and it was pretty doable. You're against traffic so no issues there.

I’ll be living in Durham for at least the first semester, then I’ll re-evaluate if I want to move closer. So hopefully we can get a carpool group going!

Can any current students comment on the actual schedule? The info online is kind of limited and only elabores on blocks 1-2.
The general idea is 8-5 M-Th and 8-12 on F. Is that pretty consistent for year 1? Does year 2 free you up for board studying?
I know there’s a summer between years 1 and 2. What about 2 and 3?

Also, how is the general feel of first year? Is it busy and steady, ever overwhelming? I know the reputation of medical school, and I’m ready for it, but I’m curious what a current student may say in how you felt during. I know some schools have combined years 1-2 into one year and those are tough, so I wonder if I’m wrong to assume this may be slower-paced. Last question, does Anatomy go through the entire first year only first two blocks?

I’ll be living in Durham for at least the first semester, then I’ll re-evaluate if I want to move closer. So hopefully we can get a carpool group going!

Can any current students comment on the actual schedule? The info online is kind of limited and only elabores on blocks 1-2.
The general idea is 8-5 M-Th and 8-12 on F. Is that pretty consistent for year 1? Does year 2 free you up for board studying?
I know there’s a summer between years 1 and 2. What about 2 and 3?

Also, how is the general feel of first year? Is it busy and steady, ever overwhelming? I know the reputation of medical school, and I’m ready for it, but I’m curious what a current student may say in how you felt during. I know some schools have combined years 1-2 into one year and those are tough, so I wonder if I’m wrong to assume this may be slower-paced. Last question, does Anatomy go through the entire first year only first two blocks?
Yes the “general idea” you have is correct for schedule.

M-Th:
8-12: 4x50 min lectures
12-1: Lunch break
1-3 OR 3-5: Lab

F:
8-8:15: Quiz
4 bs lectures or 1-hr case conference, alternating weeks
Finished by 12:30

So just to add there is some time to study in the afternoon. Also the first few weeks there are less labs to help students as they adjust and figure out how to be efficient. Yes, anatomy is all MS1 year.

MS2 schedule is similar, except lectures are 8:30 to 12:30 and lunch is 12:30 to 1:30. Tuesday afternoons are free and the afternoon activities are shorter in duration on the other days. The last block is shortened for 4 weeks dedicated board prep.

Honestly I do find it overwhelming a lot. But eventually you learn how to manage it. Also I think that is dependent on the individual as well - some people are always stressed out and some cope really well. The first 2 weeks were the worst just because everyone tries to memorize everything and it just takes time to figure out what is important or “high-yield” and that makes it a lot more manageable.

Reactions: 2 users
For those who got merit scholarships, how soon were you notified of the award after acceptance?

Thanks!

If anyone has questions for a fourth year with too much time on her hands, feel free to ask away! MS-1 and 2 years seem to have changed a bit since I was there, but I'd be glad to answer any questions y'all have! I lived in Lillington right next to the undergrad campus for first and second year, and now I'm in Goldsboro for rotations. I have absolutely LOVED my experience at CUSOM and I'm so grateful to this school for the education I received. Congratulations to all who have been accepted so far, I hope y'all will love CUSOM as much as I did!

Reactions: 6 users
If anyone has questions for a fourth year with too much time on her hands, feel free to ask away! MS-1 and 2 years seem to have changed a bit since I was there, but I'd be glad to answer any questions y'all have! I lived in Lillington right next to the undergrad campus for first and second year, and now I'm in Goldsboro for rotations. I have absolutely LOVED my experience at CUSOM and I'm so grateful to this school for the education I received. Congratulations to all who have been accepted so far, I hope y'all will love CUSOM as much as I did!

Hey! Thanks! I have friends at Duke that will pretty much finish their 4th year in March--overall a very relaxed year. When does Campbell's 4th year end; is it super flexible? How difficult is it to match into your preferred site? How is it decided? GPA, random, etc? I'm in Durham, so I'd love to spend 3/4th year nearby, like WakeMed. Can you speak some to the match process? Currently, there are no DOs at Duke's IM program, but there are some in their FM program. Do you feel like we're prepared aptly to match into highly competitive programs like UNC or Duke? I also noticed there are no Campbell residents at Wake Med's IM program. I heard some rumors about Campbell sponsoring some residencies there for their students--any progress on that that you may be aware of?

Reactions: 4 users
Hey! Thanks! I have friends at Duke that will pretty much finish their 4th year in March--overall a very relaxed year. When does Campbell's 4th year end; is it super flexible? How difficult is it to match into your preferred site? How is it decided? GPA, random, etc? I'm in Durham, so I'd love to spend 3/4th year nearby, like WakeMed. Can you speak some to the match process? Currently, there are no DOs at Duke's IM program, but there are some in their FM program. Do you feel like we're prepared aptly to match into highly competitive programs like UNC or Duke? I also noticed there are no Campbell residents at Wake Med's IM program. I heard some rumors about Campbell sponsoring some residencies there for their students--any progress on that that you may be aware of?

Fourth year officially ends 4 weeks before graduation (which is May 9 this year) - we get a vacation month. There are also two online rotations (online radiology and online medical spanish) that you can put wherever in fourth year - a lot of students use them for interview season, or the Christmas season, I'm finishing up online radiology now. In terms of matching to the preferred rotation site, unless it's changed, you rank your sites and it's by chance, but they try and give you in your top 3. Otherwise totally random and not based on GPA or any other metric. A lot of people want Raleigh (obv) so it's luck of the draw tbh. There's also a weeklong period where people can switch sites with one another.
I honestly think the school prepares us very well. There is probably some bias at UNC/Duke/etc given it's a new osteopathic school. Campbell understandably also puts emphasis on COMLEX preparation, but there's plenty of dedicated time to study for USMLE as well and I know there are plenty of people in my class that crushed both. I received a lot of compliments on my away rotations and performed well. According to the powerpoint someone posted above, we got some people to match at Duke and Wake, and a few of my classmates matched into highly competitive specialties - ENT, neurosurgery, ortho, urology.
Haven't heard anything in regards to those rumors, sorry I can't help there!

Reactions: 2 users
Fourth year officially ends 4 weeks before graduation (which is May 9 this year) - we get a vacation month. There are also two online rotations (online radiology and online medical spanish) that you can put wherever in fourth year - a lot of students use them for interview season, or the Christmas season, I'm finishing up online radiology now. In terms of matching to the preferred rotation site, unless it's changed, you rank your sites and it's by chance, but they try and give you in your top 3. Otherwise totally random and not based on GPA or any other metric. A lot of people want Raleigh (obv) so it's luck of the draw tbh. There's also a weeklong period where people can switch sites with one another.
I honestly think the school prepares us very well. There is probably some bias at UNC/Duke/etc given it's a new osteopathic school. Campbell understandably also puts emphasis on COMLEX preparation, but there's plenty of dedicated time to study for USMLE as well and I know there are plenty of people in my class that crushed both. I received a lot of compliments on my away rotations and performed well. According to the powerpoint someone posted above, we got some people to match at Duke and Wake, and a few of my classmates matched into highly competitive specialties - ENT, neurosurgery, ortho, urology.
Haven't heard anything in regards to those rumors, sorry I can't help there!

Thanks for checking in here to answer some questions! I really appreciate it. I'm really impressed by Campbell's match. They seem to be doing a really good job prepping students!
How long are the online rotations? Is it 4 weeks like all the other ones? Did you by chance take the EMT course that is offered by CCCC before classes start? And if so, do you feel better prepared for rotations?

Hi there, I have some specific questions. So there are two different lab times, 1-3 and 3-5. Are the times not in lab study breaks? If so, if you have the 1-3, can you technically leave early? How is the class broken up between these two times? Thanks!

Thanks for checking in here to answer some questions! I really appreciate it. I'm really impressed by Campbell's match. They seem to be doing a really good job prepping students!
How long are the online rotations? Is it 4 weeks like all the other ones? Did you by chance take the EMT course that is offered by CCCC before classes start? And if so, do you feel better prepared for rotations?

Yep online rotations are 4 weeks also. I did not take the EMT course but I felt plenty prepared for rotations - the clinical skills curriculum in years 1 and 2 is pretty robust!

Hi there, I have some specific questions. So there are two different lab times, 1-3 and 3-5. Are the times not in lab study breaks? If so, if you have the 1-3, can you technically leave early? How is the class broken up between these two times? Thanks!

Yes for the times not in lab you don't have to be on campus - since I lived close, if I had the later lab, I would go home at noon for lunch and maybe some studying and then return at 3. If you had the early lab you're free to go afterwards! I know for anatomy it was 6 people per cadaver so 3 would go at one time and then 3 the other time, and I think they kept the same groupings for OMM if I recall correctly.

You may be referring to Wake Forest. WakeMed is a private community hospital system and does not have its own residencies. In regards to the rumors, WakeMed is indeed looking into creating their own IM program, but it is a few years away at the very least. UNC IM has a pretty strong foothold there too, which will likely lead to inevitable turf wars, so we'll see how it goes.

Wake Forest IM interviewed several of our class this year, but most of the people I know who received interviews just didn't fall down to them on their rank list. WF traditionally does take DOs in their intern class. UNC and Duke IM are much more prestigious and have not taken any DOs at all. For the most part, you don't see DOs in the top 25 or so IM programs, so this isn't unique to them, and is simply the reality of going to a DO school. While IM in general is not a competitive specialty to match into, the top IM programs are incredibly competitive and typically not DO friendly, regardless of DO school.

Feel free to message me directly if IM is what you're looking at and I can provide more specific insight.

You may be referring to Wake Forest. WakeMed is a private community hospital system and does not have its own residencies. In regards to the rumors, WakeMed is indeed looking into creating their own IM program, but it is a few years away at the very least. UNC IM has a pretty strong foothold there too, which will likely lead to inevitable turf wars, so we'll see how it goes.

Wake Forest IM interviewed several of our class this year, but most of the people I know who received interviews just didn't fall down to them on their rank list. WF traditionally does take DOs in their intern class. UNC and Duke IM are much more prestigious and have not taken any DOs at all. For the most part, you don't see DOs in the top 25 or so IM programs, so this isn't unique to them, and is simply the reality of going to a DO school. While IM in general is not a competitive specialty to match into, the top IM programs are incredibly competitive and typically not DO friendly, regardless of DO school.

Feel free to message me directly if IM is what you're looking at and I can provide more specific insight.

This is what I'm talking about when I refer to the WakeMed residency. They mention how all 50 of their residents come fro UNC or duke: Graduate Medical Education | Raleigh, North Carolina (NC) - WakeMed Health & Hospitals. So maybe they're UNC-sponsored residencies only for UNC mostly? I think maybe that's what you mean when you say UNC IM having a strong foothold there.

I'm not set on Duke or UNC, but I'd like to stay in the area; I'd be happy with a CUSOM IM program too. One specific question though, do you know of any of your classmates that did visiting or audition rotations at Duke or UNC? Both websites specify that they take MD or DO students.

Also, thanks for the information! While some of it is kind of a shame, I'm not terribly shocked either.

Yes for the times not in lab you don't have to be on campus - since I lived close, if I had the later lab, I would go home at noon for lunch and maybe some studying and then return at 3. If you had the early lab you're free to go afterwards! I know for anatomy it was 6 people per cadaver so 3 would go at one time and then 3 the other time, and I think they kept the same groupings for OMM if I recall correctly.

How do I request the early slot without sounding like a total slacker? I'll be driving back and forth from Durham, and I'd love to beat the traffic. How do they decide--random?

How do I request the early slot without sounding like a total slacker? I'll be driving back and forth from Durham, and I'd love to beat the traffic. How do they decide--random?
It alternates and no you don’t get to request early. Other people like their homes too

It alternates and no you don’t get to request early. Other people like their homes too

I don't think it has to do with liking our homes.. I was wondering the same thing because I'll be driving probably 40 minutes each way. So it alternates? That seems like the most fair way to do it! Thanks for letting us know!

You're gonna be driving from Durham? That sounds rough. I can't imagine it's incredibly common for students to live that far away with mandatory attendance hanging over their heads

This is what I'm talking about when I refer to the WakeMed residency. They mention how all 50 of their residents come fro UNC or duke: Graduate Medical Education | Raleigh, North Carolina (NC) - WakeMed Health & Hospitals. So maybe they're UNC-sponsored residencies only for UNC mostly? I think maybe that's what you mean when you say UNC IM having a strong foothold there.

I'm not set on Duke or UNC, but I'd like to stay in the area; I'd be happy with a CUSOM IM program too. One specific question though, do you know of any of your classmates that did visiting or audition rotations at Duke or UNC? Both websites specify that they take MD or DO students.

Also, thanks for the information! While some of it is kind of a shame, I'm not terribly shocked either.
I can see where your confusion is coming from. WakeMed does NOT have its own residents currently. All the residents that page refers to are typically UNC residents that rotate through WakeMed as a peripheral site. For example, the ENT clinic is run with UNC ENT residents, and the GS service is staffed by UNC GS residents. They rotate through WakeMed for a few weeks or months at a time, but their primary training site is still UNC. As noted there may be a few Duke residents, but by-and-large WakeMed is the UNC community affiliate.

If your only intent is to stay in the area, CUSOM has IM residencies at Harnett Health, Cape Fear, and Lumberton, and you will have absolutely no problem matching into those assuming you're not a complete dingus. Again, Wake Forest has interviewed our students before and will likely take one sooner or later once one of us actually ranks them high enough. ECU has taken CUSOM students before, including a match this year. Your chances of course depend on your application.

The class is split half-way and you alternate early and late days. Living that far away is your own choice and you'll simply have to deal with the consequences of a long commute. You could also consider just staying at the school later to study, and then driving back after traffic.

can anyone help me find board scores for cusom please, been searching the site and cant find them
They're typically shown to incoming students on the incoming student website thing. If you find the PPT send it to me, I haven't seen the latest version.

Hi y'all! Long time SDN lurker here and I recently got accepted to CUSOM. I can't thank you enough for posting on here! The application process to med school is a crazy ride, but SDN has definitely helped. Good luck to everyone still waiting and I can't wait to meet my classmates this July.

Hi y'all! Long time SDN lurker here and I recently got accepted to CUSOM. I can't thank you enough for posting on here! The application process to med school is a crazy ride, but SDN has definitely helped. Good luck to everyone still waiting and I can't wait to meet my classmates this July.
Hook me up with board scores please

I apologize if someone has already asked this. But if we say dress code, do we mean business casual or business professional? I just realized I have to start building up my closet if I don't want to wear the same three outfits all year long haha

I saw someone mention being asked about shirt size on interview day, I don't recall giving my size. I received a large shirt in the mail after acceptance but I definitely wouldn't have put that down as a size. If we're to get orientation shirts, should I ask someone about what size I put down?

I apologize if someone has already asked this. But if we say dress code, do we mean business casual or business professional? I just realized I have to start building up my closet if I don't want to wear the same three outfits all year long haha
It used to be shirt and tie for men