2018-2019 Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I released my II, so I hope it goes to one of you!!! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
During the week we don’t go out much except for food. There are a lot of restaurants right around campus, nothing fancy, but a wide variety so you’re not eating the same thing every time you go out for food. On the weekends there are some chill bars around here but many people go downtown to Chicago (Wrigleyville and River North mostly) especially weekends after exams.
Nice! Thanks for letting me know. The student ambassadors at my interview felt like the location was a hidden benefit, in that they didn't feel super distracted during crunch time.

Reactions: 1 user
RFU med school classes have a lot of diversity - in age, background, experience, etc. The admissions office does a great job of putting together a class every year of diverse, kind, thoughtful people. Each class has ~20 year age range, with folks from all over the country and the world, a pretty wide range of stats from before, and everybody has a different, interesting story of who they are and how they got here.

We've got stress and anxiety - though what med school doesn't. Everybody wants to do well and become the best physician that they can be.
But what we do not have here is neuroticism.

Our "gunners" spend time putting together study guides to help everyone else out, or leading committees and clubs to provide other resources and continuously make things better for future classes. When somebody struggles with a class or fails a test, its okay to talk about it with your friends or faculty or the administration and ask for help with fixing the issue. We don't waste time comparing stats or trying to one up each other. There are a lot of resources dedicated to student wellbeing, mental health, extracurriculars, and chances to relax and be social.
Part of that is just the culture at RFU. But a large part is also the selection made by admissions, who seem pretty well able to weed out the folks who don't tend toward that direction. Any med school is mainly looking to assess 'fit' during the interview process. And part of the 'fit' here is not being neurotic.
So...take that into consideration before you get up on a high horse about being told to chill out.
Luckily I'm already in Medical School, right? Guess I don't have to take anything into account.

You don't even go here.
E80C75B1-E063-4AF7-857D-760936598E17.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
@kraskadva how often do you guys get off campus and out of North Chicago? There's not a whole lot to do right near campus, so where do you guys like to go on the 2-3 days you might get to yourselves?

Nice! Thanks for letting me know. The student ambassadors at my interview felt like the location was a hidden benefit, in that they didn't feel super distracted during crunch time.

You could definitely look at it as a plus. It's also cheaper than living in the city which is nice if you are living off of loans. It's true that North Chicago doesn't have a lot to offer, but the suburbs around it are much nicer. Plenty of students go into the city on weekends, especially after tests. Milwaukee is also pretty close and has some things to do. There are plenty of things to do. Most students move downtown for 3-4th year.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone from mid-October dates heard back yet? I interviewed 10/17 and am curious

Thanks! I’ll be hoping for the best for all of us!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone who's been invited to interview able to comment on this?

I happened to get into an uber pool with some CMS students a few weeks ago and they told me that CMS doesn't invite anyone who has gotten a C in a prereq to interview. Seems a bit of a surprising bar for a school with a relatively low median GPA.

I haven't heard anything from this school, so a pre-req C is apparently not an automatic rejection either?

I happened to get into an uber pool with some CMS students a few weeks ago and they told me that CMS doesn't invite anyone who has gotten a C in a prereq to interview. Seems a bit of a surprising bar for a school with a relatively low median GPA.

I haven't heard anything from this school, so a pre-req C is apparently not an automatic rejection either?
IDK why they'd tell you that, it's not true. Or, rather, it's not an absolute truth...
I definitely have a couple of C's in my transcript, but they were from my 1st degree, which was finished 11 years before I applied and all the more recent post-bacc grades were good.
If you just have fresh C's in some pre-req, and no retakes or upper-levels with better grades to compensate for that, then it might be an issue - as it would at any med school. But to say, blanket statement, that CMS never gives IIs to people with C's is ludicrous.

Reactions: 2 users

A C in a prereq isn't going to help your case anywhere, but I've never heard of us having a policy like that.

The closest things I can think of are:
Less than a C won't fulfill the requirement for the prereq
A C in the RFUMS BMS course will probably keep you out.

Its been almost 14 weeks since i interviewed here. The wait is killing meeeee

Reactions: 1 users
Complete silence since applying in August... am I out of luck do you think guys? Anyone else in the same boat?

Reactions: 17 users
Complete silence since applying in August... am I out of luck do you think guys? Anyone else in the same boat?

+1 I’ve been complete since 8/28 and haven’t heard anything.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is there any way to check status of application? When I click the supplemetary application link, it just gives an empty application? Thanks

Guess this wasn't the day again guys and gals. So I'll be putting a deposit down at a D.O. school now. Rosy, you sure like playing hard to get!

Will be withdrawing my app here and letting go of my interview offer.

Anyone else still waiting to hear back after 9/7 interview...?

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted!! (at 4pm) Interviewed 11/30. Out of state, Lizzy M 71.

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats!!
I am genuinely curious as to how they go about acceptance post interview... maybe people with a high enough MMI score get auto accepted considering they still haven’t gotten to interviews in October

Congrats!!
I am genuinely curious as to how they go about acceptance post interview... maybe people with a high enough MMI score get auto accepted considering they still haven’t gotten to interviews in October
Seems logical. I went 11/30, and didn't hear anything. Can confirm that my MMI score wouldn't be high enough: I was there. Good observation, though.

Has anyone gotten news from the admissions office? Interviewed late September and still nothing

Thinking about calling anonymously to ask when we might hear back

Interviewed 9/7 and still have not heard anything either

Reactions: 2 users
Just called admissions and the person just said “it varies from person to person” so there’s really no way to tell at this point when we will hear back.

Someone with the username Surg-Doc contacted me through SDN, but I get an error message when I try to respond to them. So I'm posting the information they requested here and hopefully they will see it or at least it might help someone else. When I interviewed the questions were mainly ethical and social issues. I don't think I was asked about anything in my application. Everyone gets asked the same questions. From what I remember you have about 1-2 minutes to read the prompt (3-5 sentences) and I think about 5-6 minutes to explain your answer to the interviewer. I would recommend reviewing current issues regarding medicine. If possible, find some practice MMI questions online and have someone pretend to interview you so you get more comfortable formulating concise answers. The interviewers will most likely ask followup questions so be prepared for that. Also, I had one interviewer play devil's advocate so don't let that throw you off. If you want to talk to current students plan on arriving early and staying late because that's when you get to ask questions just to students. Best of luck at your interview!

Hi, I got accepted here and loved my interview day. Can you talk a bit about how you go to the city? Are there free shuttles to the metra station? Is it possible to work at free clinics or stay involved with the city etc. or no? (Asking specifically about the logistics of transport - of course finding time to do X,Y,Z is a different question) Currently Chicago native and will probably wanna keep on visiting to meet friends and my S.O.

Current M2 here... feel free to tag or PM me with any questions.
You could definitely look at it as a plus. It's also cheaper than living in the city which is nice if you are living off of loans. It's true that North Chicago doesn't have a lot to offer, but the suburbs around it are much nicer. Plenty of students go into the city on weekends, especially after tests. Milwaukee is also pretty close and has some things to do. There are plenty of things to do. Most students move downtown for 3-4th year.

It's a standard MMI. 3 part interview day: MMI, tour, and Q&A with current students. For the tour and Q&A, the students leading it will not report anything you say back to admissions,and it wouldn't affect your decision if they did (barring somebody being a complete jack***), so feel free to ask whatever questions you have and really get a feel for the place.

This is true. However, there are cabs that pick up at the school, and there is a shuttle from the school to the Lake Bluff Metra station, where you can either get on the train down to the city or get an uber pick up. I rented a car for my interview, found some folks on SDN to split the cost with, and it ended up being the cheapest and most convenient option - so I recommend that too if you're over 24 (or whatever the age is for renting cars these days).

There are closets in the Admissions office specifically for this. So you can stash your stuff there and the secretary will keep an eye on it.

Hi all, this is just 1 data point but they seem to have gone through some October II. (sorry if this is old news - SDN stresses me out so I don't come here often)
I had my II in 10/5 and got accepted on 10/29. Hang in there! Sending you best wishes.

Hi all, this is just 1 data point but they seem to have gone through some October II. (sorry if this is old news - SDN stresses me out so I don't come here often)
I had my II in 10/5 and got accepted on 10/29. Hang in there! Sending you best wishes.
Fellow ten fiver II here. Havent heard anything unfortunately