2018-2019 Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's the nightlife like in the area? What do students do for fun here? Already submitted, just curious

Is there a way to check status? I dont have a portal for this school

Members don't see this ad :)
So I submitted my 3 LOR currently in AMCAS (2 science and 1 non-science) without realizing the 3 letter requirement. I have an MD letter being submitted and I personally would rather have that one replace of the science letters. Do you guys think I should still send it even though it's a 3 letter requirement? Would they even look at it or is there a way I can let them know that the MD letter is preferred?

What exactly is a "personal letter"? I have one science, 1 non science, and my PI. My PI is the only one who would has had extensive contact with my the past 24 months. My non science said she focused a lot on my background and academics. Do you think it would be better to add the letter from my mentor and then email them with the change?

So I submitted my secondary on July 6th and got an email saying that they would send another email when my application was complete. I was wondering if anyone has gotten an email telling them that their application is complete or if everyone else is still waiting as well? I submitted my LORs and CASPer so not sure what is holding it up and was wondering if other people are having the same problem.

So I submitted my secondary on July 6th and got an email saying that they would send another email when my application was complete. I was wondering if anyone has gotten an email telling them that their application is complete or if everyone else is still waiting as well? I submitted my LORs and CASPer so not sure what is holding it up and was wondering if other people are having the same problem.
Last year it took some people about a month to get a complete email

I just received a secondary invite this morning and about ten minutes later I received another email stating they were looking over my application for completeness even though I haven't even opened up the secondary lol. Anyone else receive the same thing?

Reactions: 1 users
I just received a secondary invite this morning and about ten minutes later I received another email stating they were looking over my application for completeness even though I haven't even opened up the secondary lol. Anyone else receive the same thing?

Received same email but secondary was submitted.

Reactions: 1 user

I got the email and emailed back saying that I hadn't submitted my secondary yet, and they said:
"Sorry for any confusion.

We were just notifying all applicants that it takes time for us to go through applications. We sent this email to those who sent in a primary application."

Reactions: 4 users
Would it be okay to write about a single challenge for the first essay?

Members don't see this ad :)
does your secondary not get process at RFU if your CASPer scores are not sent to them yet.
I took CASPer on 7/8 but I know if takes 3 weeks for them to receive it. Should I hold off on submitting secondary until my CASPer score are sent?

does your secondary not get process at RFU if your CASPer scores are not sent to them yet.
I took CASPer on 7/8 but I know if takes 3 weeks for them to receive it. Should I hold off on submitting secondary until my CASPer score are sent?
Nah submit ASAP it takes them a long time to review apps

I have about 140 hours of non-clinical volunteering (current experience, I volunteer every Sat) and about 70 hours in a free clinic (I go there once a week, but it's only like 2 hours a week, that's why my hours are so low)

Do I stand a chance? I'm from WI and was born in Chicago and tbh Rosalind is one of my top choices!

Im wondering the same exact thing

for my Letters, I don't have a committee so I have individual letters.
I want to submit 1 from a physician and 1 from a non-sci prof (very strong letter) but I have 2 sci pro and 1 PI letter to choose from for the last letter I can send to RFU.
is it better to send a sci prof letter than a PI's letter?

for my Letters, I don't have a committee so I have individual letters.
I want to submit 1 from a physician and 1 from a non-sci prof (very strong letter) but I have 2 sci pro and 1 PI letter to choose from for the last letter I can send to RFU.
is it better to send a sci prof letter than a PI's letter?
I would send one sci and one PI to get a good variety, especially for schools that are very invested in research

I would send one sci and one PI to get a good variety, especially for schools that are very invested in research
I really want to send my non-sci letter because I know that's my strongest letter, RFU website said that they prefer having one physician's letter. they only accept 3 letters
I have to choose either from sci prof and my PI to use as my third letter... haha it's hard trying to choose

I really want to send my non-sci letter because I know that's my strongest letter, RFU website said that they prefer having one physician's letter. they only accept 3 letters
I have to choose either from sci prof and my PI to use as my third letter... haha it's hard trying to choose
does the sci prof or your PI know you and your strengths better?

does the sci prof or your PI know you and your strengths better?
honestly, idk haha the sci prof, I've only taken his class once (but went to every office hour prepared to ask questions) and PI I worked with for almost 2 years but didn't really talk as much. I'm leaning towards the sci prof, but I have 2 sci prof. lol
decisions decisions....

honestly, idk haha the sci prof, I've only taken his class once (but went to every office hour prepared to ask questions) and PI I worked with for almost 2 years but didn't really talk as much. I'm leaning towards the sci prof, but I have 2 sci prof. lol
decisions decisions....

hmm yeah the PI might not have much legitimate or genuine stuff to say about you in that case so you might wanna stick to the prof that knows you

Ah!!! I am such an idiot. I submitted 4 letters to this school already. One letter technically hasn't sent yet, so I could maybe delete the whole writer and then add her back to add to the other schools? Should I do that or should I reach out to Rosalind Franklin admissions staff and ask them to disregard one of the letters...? Can't believe I dicked myself over like this. Any advice would be so appreciated! Thanks in advance <3

^^I also lowkey missed the 3 letter limit and submitted 4, so I emailed admissions to specify which one I wanted to exclude. They haven’t gotten back to me but I feel better knowing that someone else made the same mistake!

^^I also lowkey missed the 3 letter limit and submitted 4, so I emailed admissions to specify which one I wanted to exclude. They haven’t gotten back to me but I feel better knowing that someone else made the same mistake!
My school does a letter packet, with 5 letters inside. So I can’t exactly choose lol. I think we will be fine.

Ah!!! I am such an idiot. I submitted 4 letters to this school already. One letter technically hasn't sent yet, so I could maybe delete the whole writer and then add her back to add to the other schools? Should I do that or should I reach out to Rosalind Franklin admissions staff and ask them to disregard one of the letters...? Can't believe I dicked myself over like this. Any advice would be so appreciated! Thanks in advance <3

Probably not a big deal. Worst case they'll just look at the first 3 I guess

Nope, just the email saying "we are verifying your app for completion" which I got on July 12
I received the same message on the same day lol okay this is just the only school I’m not compete at. Seems like they take a while though

Last edited:
I received the same message on same day lol okay this is just the only school I’m not compete at. Seems like they take a while though
I think they get over 10,000 apps/year so we just have to be patient lol

For secondary essays, are you guys abbreviating the university as CMS or RFU? Which is correct? On the website I have seen both being used.

Oh gosh, I didn't realize that they wanted one of those letters to be from a physician. I've worked with a physician before but I didn't get a letter from him, I got a letter from a physician I shadowed instead. Would that still count?
I already submitted my three letters but I might just add that one so there is at least one letter from an MD and I can e-mail them to disregard the non-science prof's letter.

For people who went on college tours, how did you dress up? Did you wear a suit or just nice shirt and pants? Also where are you supposed to meet up?

For people who went on college tours, how did you dress up? Did you wear a suit or just nice shirt and pants? Also where are you supposed to meet up?
Wear business casual. Stuff you would want to be wearing if a potential employer was meeting you for lunch. You can go beyond that but it's unnecessary for a tour/open house. You want to be comfortable depending on the walking involved.

Wear business casual. Stuff you would want to be wearing if a potential employer was meeting you for lunch. You can go beyond that but it's unnecessary for a tour/open house. You want to be comfortable depending on the walking involved.

anyone got any updates regarding completion? I submitted 7/17, still nothing.

anyone got any updates regarding completion? I submitted 7/17, still nothing.

I got an email on the 12th saying that they are "in the process of going through and verifying your application for completeness" but haven't heard anything since

How long did it take you guys to receive a secondary? I was verified Monday 7/23. I know I need to be patient but just wondering lol!

How long did it take you guys to receive a secondary? I was verified Monday 7/23. I know I need to be patient but just wondering lol!

I was verified with AMCAS 6/13 and received my secondary on 7/3

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was verified on 7/18 and received mine the next day, but it seems to have taken longer for others. They might be getting sent out in random batches.

Okay, so it seems to vary a lot. Thanks for letting me know guys!

For the challenges in your journey essay.. it is a bad move to address grades/academics here?

For the challenges in your journey essay.. it is a bad move to address grades/academics here?
I feel like that's listed on transcript, but if you had external circumstances that impacted your grades, that's where you talk about the circumstances.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

I was thinking of putting in my general adversity essay in the challenges in journey spot, as I wrote about a chronic illness that began this past semester. However, my grades or anything weren't affected by it, though I learned some great lessons about being a patient, learning to take care of myself, etc. Should I include it or will it look like fluff?