2018-2019 Duke University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, another email should be on the way. Can’t say when, but soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I received a second look email this morning. Looks like events will begin on the morning of the 15th and continue until ~noon on the 17th. Students will be reaching out soon with more details though.

Reactions: 1 user
I got the second look email this morning too. Will there be student hosts?

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI to everyone, 235 people accepted this year. Last year, there were 255 accepted.

Thanks for the info! Any idea of how many were waitlisted and anticipated WL movement?
Don't have access to that info. I will say, though, that last year, with the 255 people accepted, they overshot and the class is bigger than they wanted (~130 vs. 115). So, no one was accepted off the waitlist last year. The year before, I believe only 1-2 people were accepted off the aitlist.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have Duke as an option for choosing your school tool? It is still not showing up for me, but my other acceptances are.

Congratulations to all of those accepted!

I absolutely loved my Duke interview day (everyone was so warm and welcoming!), but one of the students mentioned something that was concerning, and I was wondering if anyone from the Durham area can speak about this. He talked about the tense, somewhat distrustful relationship between Duke and the Durham community because of the socioeconomic differences; he also mentioned that he had met some members of the community that called Duke the "plantation." Did anyone else hear similar things? I was wondering, how does Duke address this tenseness and work on its relationship with the surrounding community? I know that it must be a tough relationship to navigate and that many other universities deal with similar kinds of problems- just wanted to learn more about what Duke University SOM does specifically!

Hey,@MC_Infarction, do you know if Duke matches merit scholarships? I've gotten half-tuition from a similarly ranked school, and although Duke is without a doubt my top choice, I'm having trouble justifying full price.

Congratulations to all of those accepted!

I absolutely loved my Duke interview day (everyone was so warm and welcoming!), but one of the students mentioned something that was concerning, and I was wondering if anyone from the Durham area can speak about this. He talked about the tense, somewhat distrustful relationship between Duke and the Durham community because of the socioeconomic differences; he also mentioned that he had met some members of the community that called Duke the "plantation." Did anyone else hear similar things? I was wondering, how does Duke address this tenseness and work on its relationship with the surrounding community? I know that it must be a tough relationship to navigate and that many other universities deal with similar kinds of problems- just wanted to learn more about what Duke University SOM does specifically!
Ah, this is a complicated question and probably better for an in-person conversation. It is true that Duke has had a fraught relationship with the community due to past history, and I think there are still missteps that happen. I've never personally heard Duke referred to as the 'plantation.' I will say that in my time here, I have met very many people who are committed to fighting inequalities, both on a micro and macro level. You have the option to get very involved in policy, and there are many student run groups that work to address inequalities (Root Causes, Duke Med for Social Justice, etc.). My background before med school involved working with low-income communities, and I feel as if I have been able to continue that in school. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss further - I would also be happy to talk via FaceTime or something along those measures.

Hey,@MC_Infarction, do you know if Duke matches merit scholarships? I've gotten half-tuition from a similarly ranked school, and although Duke is without a doubt my top choice, I'm having trouble justifying full price.
I would say it depends and it's situational. Absolutely worth it to reach out to admissions and ask. Not like they'll rescind your acceptance or anything!

So has duke historically hasnt given many acceptances from the waitlist? any waitlist movement probably wont be until late april right?
I’m a graduating fourth year. I know of two classmates that got off the waitlist in my class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know a general timeframe for merit scholarships being released?

Would financial offers include merit aid? I just got my financial offer and things are looking bleak

Are most people requesting to stay with student hosts for 2nd look weekend? Or are people getting hotels/airbnbs?

I was curious to know a few things about Duke Medical School:
1. Does Duke offer opportunities for students to get involved in Wilderness or Disaster medicine?
2. Is there any dedicated programs medical students can do with refugees?

1. Does Duke offer opportunities for students to get involved in Wilderness or Disaster medicine?
1. Duke has a hyperbaric chamber and you could choose to do research in that area if you wanted.

2. I know there is a program that exists to help tutor refugee students. I don’t know about anything specifically for medical-related issues, but you could absolutely find the support here if you were interested in starting a program, etc.

Has Duke popped up on the "choose your medical school" option on AMCAS yet? It's still not showing for me.

Most schools don't. However, the fourth year is elective at most schools, and there is a TON of elective time in Duke's fourth year compared to medical schools where some of my friends are located. So you can do a wilderness rotation at another medical school. For instance, the University of Utah and other Mountain West schools have wilderness medicine electives that you can take as a fourth year and get credit for at Duke. So don't think that if you go to a medical school without this, that you cannot get it.

Does anyone have Duke's match list?
I predict that this year's match list will be bonkers. The Urology and Ophthalmology matches already came through and Duke put 5ish students into each (which means about 10% of our class), and they all got into top 5-10 ranked residencies for these very competitive fields.

Has Duke popped up on the "choose your medical school" option on AMCAS yet? It's still not showing for me.
I had the same issue and called the admissions office. It was an issue on their end, and they fixed it. They asked me to let other people know who were having the same issue to contact them.

Hi everyone! I'm an MS1 at Duke Med and we just hosted a fantastic Second Look Weekend! Over the weekend, we dropped our music video to showcase how amazing Duke, Durham, and our class are! Please give it a view and a like on YouTube (we're trying to win a contest!!) Thanks y'all, and best of luck in your decisions!

Last edited:
I loved second look weekend! Leaning heavily toward Duke, but I have just a few questions. Does anyone know how AOA works at Duke? Also, how would you describe grading during MS2? Is it fair or really subjective at Duke?

I loved second look weekend! Leaning heavily toward Duke, but I have just a few questions. Does anyone know how AOA works at Duke? Also, how would you describe grading during MS2? Is it fair or really subjective at Duke?
Top quarter of the class can be nominated based upon MS2 grades. Nominees basically have to submit their resume/accomplishments, which is then sent to a committee who evals people. Eventually, 1/6th of the class is chosen for AOA. Pretty standard amongst schools that have AOA chapters.

I feel like the grades are pretty fair. Depending on the subrotation, it ranges from like 30-80% of your grade that is clinical evals. The rest of your grade then comes from shelf exams, assignments, etc. There will always be subjectivity with grading, but everyone uses the same eval form, which I feel really helps.

Happy to answer more specifics, if necessary.

For those of us that couldn't make it to Second Look due to work, expenses, or any other reasons, could anyone that went to Second Look be kind enough to share what their experience was like? Maybe a quick rundown of the activities/programs and the general feeling of the school/student body? Was there anything at Second Look that you feel like was really important in solidifying your decision to attend DukeMed, and vice versa?

I spoke with the financial aid office and they told me I'll be receiving my financial aid package "by May 30th" but I kinda need to know before that because financial aid is going to be playing a significant role in where I choose to go... is this a hard deadline or is it possible I'll be getting my package before April 30th?

I spoke with the financial aid office and they told me I'll be receiving my financial aid package "by May 30th" but I kinda need to know before that because financial aid is going to be playing a significant role in where I choose to go... is this a hard deadline or is it possible I'll be getting my package before April 30th?
I've already gotten my package so it's definitely possible to get it earlier. Maybe try calling them and getting more info. May 30 is too far.

Financial aid told me that I would receive my package in about a week after they received all of the necessary documents.

Financial aid told me that I would receive my package in about a week after they received all of the necessary documents.

+1. Their office received all my documents towards the middle of last week, I called yesterday and they said I should receive my award at the end of this week/beginning of next week.

I got my offer last night that included merit money

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone gotten a call/heard about a merit scholarship without it being included in a financial aid package?

I got my offer last night that included merit money
Are you sure it was merit money? Or was it a grant? I received a grant and I'm not sure if it was need based or if it was merit based.

I contacted a couple of days ago, and they said that the Deans were still deciding on scholarships, so they haven’t sent any out yet.