2018-2019 Eastern Virginia Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IIs start coming out mid-August here?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Got the 'application complete and will be forward to admissions' email today. :) I'm OOS.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are we really supposed to get the exact date of completion for all of our pre-reqs??

Also, is the pre-req for biology asking specifically for intro bio or any bio with labs (micro, physio, etc.)?

Are we really supposed to get the exact date of completion for all of our pre-reqs??

Also, is the pre-req for biology asking specifically for intro bio or any bio with labs (micro, physio, etc.)?
I put the date it was reflected as complete on my transcript. After every quarter it would have credit awarded and then provide a date or something similar so I just used that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi what email address should I use to contact EVMS? Looked around a bit and could not find a generic admissions email. I need to email an update concerning an IA from a long time ago. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I see personal email of three of the admissions staff, should I just choose one of these?

Hi what email address should I use to contact EVMS? Looked around a bit and could not find a generic admissions email. I need to email an update concerning an IA from a long time ago. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I see personal email of three of the admissions staff, should I just choose one of these?
I would call and ask them what email you should use to send application addendums to. Since they list those emails on the "Contact Us" page, I'm sure it would be fine but I would call just to verify.

Reactions: 1 users

Correct, just choose one of the three contact emails listed (doesn't matter). Updates and such are sorted manually so it may take a few business days but they should reply once it is received and added to your file :) If you do not get a response in a week or so, just give them a call to check that they got it.

For the exposure to medicine question, were your essays pretty disjointed? I'm having trouble writing this as a cohesive essay and feel like I'm basically listing my experience and what I did/got from it

For the Pre-reqs, I did a 2-year Masters program so Im wondering if I put the class from undergrad or grad school for the pre-req? For example I took one class twice and my Masters was a higher grade? I assume they look at all of the transcripts so should I put in the class I took first, or the higher grade?

Do any IS applicants or current/former students have any information on the safety of the Norfolk area? I will be taking my wife with me to the school if i were to matriculate there and would like to know how safe or unsafe the area is. I have read the crime reports online, and they don't look too good. Just wondering if anyone has any personal thoughts? thanks.

Do any IS applicants or current/former students have any information on the safety of the Norfolk area? I will be taking my wife with me to the school if i were to matriculate there and would like to know how safe or unsafe the area is. I have read the crime reports online, and they don't look too good. Just wondering if anyone has any personal thoughts? thanks.

I am a little biased, and this is my personal opinion. I have never lived in the area (i live 2 hours up north), but my friends lived there for years. I would personally move there in a heartbeat. It is relatively cheap, ocean is close, groceries are cheap, restaurants. Beautiful nature, a lot of history. As far as crimes, from what i understand it is mostly "routy" crimes, - a lot of military in the area and such. (please correct me if i am wrong, this is just my biased opinion). From what I understand people are very nice. That being said, i personally love the area, and the school is one of my top choices (if it matters, I am white female, 32 yo).

I am a little biased, and this is my personal opinion. I have never lived in the area (i live 2 hours up north), but my friends lived there for years. I would personally move there in a heartbeat. It is relatively cheap, ocean is close, groceries are cheap, restaurants. Beautiful nature, a lot of history. As far as crimes, from what i understand it is mostly "routy" crimes, - a lot of military in the area and such. (please correct me if i am wrong, this is just my biased opinion). From what I understand people are very nice. That being said, i personally love the area, and the school is one of my top choices (if it matters, I am white female, 32 yo).
Awesome! Thank you for the response. I just received their secondary a couple of days ago and just received an interview invitation from my top school today (first one i have received) ive been debating all day on whether i should submit to EVMS or save the 100 dollars. The only reason Im hesitant to submit is the crime rate and the potential fact that i might be starting a family in the area. But your response has enlightened me further! thanks again!

Rejected pre-secondary today. Primary verified 7/30, OOS. Does any one know if they will provide feedback about why you were rejected?

Rejected pre-secondary as well. Verified 7/31, OOS, LizzyM 69. Good luck to everyone!

Rejected Pre-secondary (IS)...and my MCAT (took on July 21) score is not reported yet...
PhD GPA: science 3.35, overall 3.55
Postbac GPA 4.0
300 hours physician shadowing, clinical (+100 hours) and non-clinical (~100 hours) volunteering, 6 published paper, +25 conference presentations, plus extracurricular and leadership activities, +3000 hours of teaching (paid) and +3000 hours of research...

Last edited:
I wonder if they do some holistic screen. I have a 67 Lizzy M and submitted the secondary.

Rejected Pre-secondary (IS)...and my MCAT (took on July 21) score is not reported yet...
PhD GPA: science 3.35, overall 3.55
Postbac GPA 4.0
300 hours physician shadowing, clinical (+100 hours) and non-clinical (~100 hours) volunteering, 6 published paper, +25 conference presentation, plus extracurricular and leadership activities, +3000 hours of teaching (paid) and +3000 hours of research...

3000 HOURS OF RESEARCH!!!!!!
AHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Why would you apply without your mcat score being reported ?
Even if you got a 50000000 on it, isn’t it sort of presumptive to do so?

Rejected pre-secondary. OOS, LizzyM 67, strong EC's (1500+ hrs community service, 2000+ hrs research, etc) and come from a disadvantaged background. I emailed them for the heck of it to ask if it was because of my lack of a non-Science faculty LOR, but they had told me previously that my LOR’s were fine.

Rejected pre-secondary. OOS, LizzyM 67, strong EC's (1500+ hrs community service, 2000+ hrs research, etc) and come from a disadvantaged background. I emailed them for the heck of it to ask if it was because of my lack of a non-Science faculty LOR, but they had told me previously that my LOR’s were fine.
This school really values community and community experiences, serving the underserved etc. did you have a lot of that?

This school really values community and community experiences, serving the underserved etc. did you have a lot of that?

Yes, over 1500+ hrs of serving my community. It's a pretty significant experience too working with a vulnerable population, and I wrote about it in my PS and EC's. I'm quite surprised to get the pre-secondary rejection given I fit their mission very well.

Yes, over 1500+ hrs of serving my community. It's a pretty significant experience too working with a vulnerable population, and I wrote about it in my PS and EC's. I'm quite surprised to get the pre-secondary rejection given I fit their mission very well.
yeah that's very weird, but i'm sure with your credentials in community service and research you'll get in some place killer with a decent mcat

How did people answer the first question about exposure to medicine?

I wonder if they do some holistic screen. I have a 67 Lizzy M and submitted the secondary.

Yea, not sure. Submitted a secondary w/ a Lizzy M ~64.
I have ~4k clinical hours from scribing and MA'ing.

Ya it is weird. Could be stats then or some other factor we don't know they're looking for

I am in the same boat. My ECs are competitive and I have done ALOT of work with underserved populations because that is my passion. Not sure why they thought I was not a good fit for their school given their mission. Oh well, was not meant to be.

As time goes on, I'm realizing there isn't much rhyme or reason to the process, at least not that is apparent. I've received II and secondaries from schools that have rejected people with significantly higher stats than me and had radio silence from schools where my stats are top 10% while people with lower stats, no research, non-military have gotten II's.

I think someone said it best in another thread. Apply where you want to go, don't apply where you don't, and let the cards fall where they will.

Reactions: 7 users
As time goes on, I'm realizing there isn't much rhyme or reason to the process, at least not that is apparent. I've received II and secondaries from schools that have rejected people with significantly higher stats than me and had radio silence from schools where my stats are top 10% while people with lower stats, no research, non-military have gotten II's.

I think someone said it best in another thread. Apply where you want to go, don't apply where you don't, and let the cards fall where they will.
Beautifully said ... this definitely will calm me down ... for about an hour , and then I will go back to Paranoia :)))

II this afternoon as well.

IS, No Ties, LizzyM: 65.10, Complete Date: 8/2 (but submitted secondary 7/24, in state privilege forms had to be processed which took time)

But saw their email after 5pm and apparently you schedule interviews over the phone and their offices close after 5pm :(
They stressed how it is first come first serve and how they "cannot guarantee that an interview slot will be available for all selected applicants." So I am a bit worried but hopefully I'm just being paranoid and there will be spots available when I call tomorrow morning.

II this afternoon as well.

IS, No Ties, LizzyM: 65.10, Complete Date: 8/2 (but submitted secondary 7/24, in state privilege forms had to be processed which took time)

But saw their email after 5pm and apparently you schedule interviews over the phone and their offices close after 5pm :(
They stressed how it is first come first serve and how they "cannot guarantee that an interview slot will be available for all selected applicants." So I am a bit worried but hopefully I'm just being paranoid and there will be spots available when I call tomorrow morning.
Damn that's a fast turnaround time, congrats!

Just call them in the morning. You'll be fine.

People are getting II from early July complete dates and I just submitted this secondary today lol. Looks like I have a long wait ahead of me