2018-2019 Hackensack-Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No II recently?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
why is that LM is always the determining factor and question when someone says they received an interview. I would still like to trust that the committee members look at the applications holistically. While i do respect and acknowledge the commitment and dedication needed to achieve a high LM, I also have respect for the physician patient relationship and the trust and honor that comes with that role.

What about clinical/research/community based experience ?

Why are you posting this on every other school thread?

Reactions: 1 users
why is that LM is always the determining factor and question when someone says they received an interview. I would still like to trust that the committee members look at the applications holistically. While i do respect and acknowledge the commitment and dedication needed to achieve a high LM, I also have respect for the physician patient relationship and the trust and honor that comes with that role.

You’ve been posting this everywhere so I’ll bite. Because at the end of the day, every school wants to raise their rankings so stats are always going to be more important than any EC the average applicant can do. People posting their LM is a way to anonymously post their stats while giving the rest of us an indicator of what range of applicants the school is taking. As the saying goes: stats will get you to the (interview) door and you personality will lead you through it

I also have respect for the physician patient relationship and the trust and honor that comes with that role.

I would save that line for your interviews

All those things are important too and serve to round out your app

Members don't see this ad :)
You’ve been posting this everywhere so I’ll bite. Because at the end of the day, every school wants to raise their rankings so stats are always going to be more important than any EC the average applicant can do. People posting their LM is a way to anonymously post their stats while giving the rest of us an indicator of what range of applicants the school is taking. As the saying goes: stats will get you to the (interview) door and you personality will lead you through it]

I agree with this. It’s also easier to post your LM rather than saying your experiences, which as medschoolzombie said, could compromise your anonymity.

But in other news... Where are all the IIs at??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Yes sorry i posted in multiple forums because i see the same dialogue in multiple forums and wanted to discuss and hear everyones thoughts thank you

I think that II may come out this week before they end school...unless they already ended school for break then never mind. Lool.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Why are you posting this on every other school thread?

Sorry new to sdn and i see the same thing on each thread i wanted some feedback. I posted it in 4 threads not every thread, however i apologize if it was bothersome to anyone.

Procrastinating for our test on Monday, but I will try and go ahead and answer your questions.

Thanks for the reply! A couple more follow ups

1) lectures are all TBL/PBL right? Does this mean you have to prep for them the night before by reading up on things?
Only Monday 9-11AM, and Thursday 8AM-10AM are TBL. Those days it probably is a good idea to read everything that is assigned/ read power points etc.. to do alright on the quiz. Some students rely on outside materials for the topics covered, but it would be a good idea to always look through the assigned readings or powerpoints to have an idea of what is going to be covered, especially if there is a TBL. For the most part, there is not a lecture that will cover what is quizzed on the TBL, so you would definitely want to know the topics pretty well as there will not be that much more guidance for that subject.

2) they told us during interview day, that you’ll know where you’ll be residency wise before you take step 1, so if not for step score, what else is gonna be used to differentiate people? My guess is ECs like volunteering or research but maybe there’s other stuff too?
For the most part, it will come down to the interview for the residency spots. For the super competitive residencies (Ortho, derm, anesthesia...), there will be an excess of students applying and you will definitely have to try and stand out. That can be through community engagement, how well you do on your rotation, if you have relevant research experience etc... There is no ranking during pre-clerkships, but once clerkships start, the class will be ranked based on performance, and that would also factor into who could get the spot. But the interview will play a very big role in determining who will get that residency spot. Step 1 will have no bearing, as you will not have even taken Step 1 yet.

Also, we were told that there’s enough residency spots available even if the entire class wanted to start after 3rd year. Would we be required to pick multiple fields of interest with the hopes of getting at least one?
It really depends what you want to do. If you want to match into Ortho, which has 1 current spot right now, you can only apply for the 3 year track for ortho, and then if you do not get it, apply to the general match next year. If you would be content with another field, say gen surgery, you could put that as your number two. But then it gets into a game because you would have a better chance to match into general surgery than you would for ortho due to the increase in spots for that residency. Honestly, it really depends on what you want to do, and how much you want to do it. You are not required to pick 3 fields, you can pick zero, and you can also pick one. It all depends if you really want to stay in NJ for residency and if you are content with going into a different field than your first pick.

They also mentioned something about being given a program mentor for your desired speciality when you start. Are they basically an advisor or a PD?
That is still being figured out right now. Hopefully more information will come soon. They are trying to pair students with an advisor in a speciality of interest of your to mentor you and show you more about that field.

3) Are most of those research opportunities in wet labs or are there clinical research people moved in too?
There should be plenty of both. Currently there are a bunch of wet labs moving to campus as well as you could reach out to faculty to start clinical research. Clinical research will most likely be publishable faster but make sure you try and do relevant research to what speciality you want to go into.

4) Do most people live with family then? I know at other schools, there’s certain neighborhoods that med students all lived in. I guess that doesn’t exist here yet?
Most people live with other students. There are a couple who stay with their family, but for the most part, everyone lives pretty close to campus. I would look in the neighborhoods of Nutley, Clifton, Bloomfield, Belleville, Montclair, Glen Ridge. The financial aid estimates your rent being 1100 a month, so most likely you will have to live with either a student/friend or find a cheap studio.

Does anyone know if you need a committee letter when applying to this school?

Edit: It's often the case that schools need a letter even though they don't explicitly say it (ie NJMS). Looking for insider info on this one.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get a confirmation email after mailing in their deposit? I think I might call them sometime this week to check in on it

Edit: nvm just got it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Anyone get a confirmation email after mailing in their deposit? I think I might call them sometime this week to check in on it

Edit: nvm just got it!
How many days after sending out the check did it take for you to get a confirmation email?

How many days after sending out the check did it take for you to get a confirmation email?
I sent mine middle of last week and just got the email today. It apparently got there Saturday though

Reactions: 1 user
I sent it on Thursday last week I believe and got the email this afternoon

Congrats!!! When were you prelim review complete and what dates were available?

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile
Prelim was complete Dec 12th they just scheduled me for a specific date in Jan there weren't any other dates available.

So I mailed my deposit on Friday (the 14th) but I haven’t gotten any confirmation that they have received it yet, do you guys think I should call/email admissions? Or am I being paranoid lol

So I mailed my deposit on Friday (the 14th) but I haven’t gotten any confirmation that they have received it yet, do you guys think I should call/email admissions? Or am I being paranoid lol
I would definitely call them. I had the same issue and I sent mine on 12/7/18, so I called them today and they said I could send in another one as long as it was postmarked before the due date tomorrow. So I ended up busting a mission to get another check and getting the priority mail label with tracking ready to go for the mailperson to pick up and about like an hour before they are supposed to come I got the email from the school saying that they received my check... Moral of the story is to just call them and check. I called the number on the acceptance form and they were very nice and helpful!

I would definitely call them. I had the same issue and I sent mine on 12/7/18, so I called them today and they said I could send in another one as long as it was postmarked before the due date tomorrow. So I ended up busting a mission to get another check and getting the priority mail label with tracking ready to go for the mailperson to pick up and about like an hour before they are supposed to come I got the email from the school saying that they received my check... Moral of the story is to just call them and check. I called the number on the acceptance form and they were very nice and helpful!
I just got the confirmation email lol! thank you for the reply tho!!

Anyone else stuck between prelim complete and pre-II review began?

I was complete Oct 29th, shame cause I really wanted to interview here.

Prelim was complete Dec 12th they just scheduled me for a specific date in Jan there weren't any other dates available.

Congrats on the II! If you don't mind me asking did your prelim confirmation email mention you were being considered for an interview or no?

Did anyone receive an acceptance/rejection notification via postal mail?

I've had prelim review complete since Oct 25th, anyone know if they are still sending out interviews?

submitted a day before they closed their application? When should I heard back?

Did anyone get anymore info on what we’re supposed to be doing after sending the deposit? I know some other schools have a list of things to get done like immunizations, transcripts etc

Did anyone get anymore info on what we’re supposed to be doing after sending the deposit? I know some other schools have a list of things to get done like immunizations, transcripts etc

Nope I haven't got anything like that yet

Hi! Were the 1 on 1s MMI style or more open app conversational?

I didn’t get any ethical scenarios. It’s really hit or miss depending on who you get for an interviewer. In my first one, we had a great discussion about my interviewers wife, how I like the school etc. in my second, the interviewer had prepared questions that are more like standard interivew questions. Some of them led to conversation but not all of them

Reactions: 2 users
Nope I haven't got anything like that yet
Good to know I’m not the only one lol. I feel like we should have heard something from them but maybe I’m just being paranoid

I didn’t get any ethical scenarios. It’s really hit or miss depending on who you get for an interviewer. In my first one, we had a great discussion about my interviewers wife, how I like the school etc. in my second, the interviewer had prepared questions that are more like standard interivew questions. Some of them led to conversation but not all of them
Thanks so much!!