2018-2019 Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wondering if I should have sent a thank you note after my interview? Anyone have any ideas? Also, about these LOI that people are sending, can someone just break down what exactly is going into those and where they are being sent? I'm extremely disappointed that I did not hear back from MCG yet and would really love to attend this school.

I sent a thank you note after interviewing, but it has not had any major effect haha.

Basically with a letter of intent, you are stating that if you matriculated, you would only attend this school. You are writing about why this school is your top choice. I tried to keep mine short and sweet, but the general outline I wrote was something like this
  • thanks for letting me interview, had a fabulous time etc
  • why this school is a top choice; what really stood out during my interview
  • what I have been doing since interview
  • what I could contribute as a student
  • just a quick summary/ concluding statement
I emailed it to admissions. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I sent a thank you note after interviewing, but it has not had any major effect haha.

Basically with a letter of intent, you are stating that if you matriculated, you would only attend this school. You are writing about why this school is your top choice. I tried to keep mine short and sweet, but the general outline I wrote was something like this
  • thanks for letting me interview, had a fabulous time etc
  • why this school is a top choice; what really stood out during my interview
  • what I have been doing since interview
  • what I could contribute as a student
  • just a quick summary/ concluding statement
I emailed it to admissions. Hope this helps!

You are awesome!! This helps a whole lot. I just don't know what all I have to say to MCG that could possibly make any sense. *crying*

Complete here early September oos with pretty average stats, still waiting on an II

Members don't see this ad :)
question for people who interviewed.

How did you guys send in thank you letters if there are multiple people interviewing you. how do you remember the names of all the people who interviewed you? Some of them are students so i'm guessing they wouldn't have business cards haha.

question for people who interviewed.

How did you guys send in thank you letters if there are multiple people interviewing you. how do you remember the names of all the people who interviewed you? Some of them are students so i'm guessing they wouldn't have business cards haha.

Since it’s an MMI, I just sent a thank you to the admissions committee. Uploaded it into the portal.

Hey Guys! Great News: I got accepted into the Medical College of Georgia!

Reactions: 5 users
Do you guys think at this point if we interviewed in January or later that we are just competing for the waitlist considering that they have a rolling admissions? Or do you guys think there's still spots to get?

Do you guys think at this point if we interviewed in January or later that we are just competing for the waitlist considering that they have a rolling admissions? Or do you guys think there's still spots to get?
I think there are definitely still spots to get. Schools have been conservative with acceptances this year because of the new traffic rules, even for those that do rolling admissions. I would go if you're seriously interested in MCG.

I think there are definitely still spots to get. Schools have been conservative with acceptances this year because of the new traffic rules, even for those that do rolling admissions. I would go if you're seriously interested in MCG.

What are the new traffic rules?

I think medical schools are unable to see if you have multiple acceptances, so they are more cautious about who they accept. There might be more wait-lists this year.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
congratulations friend. i will see you there haha.

do you think that could be the last interview date for the cycle? I've been hearing mixed things.
Not sure, but I’m curious to know.

If anybody has an interview for after 1/22 please let us know!

Having trouble finding where to send a Thank-you letter for Interviewing. I logged back in to the portal where I completed the secondary application, but don't see where I can add an update or add a thank you letter. Any help much appreciated!

Currently at work alongside one of the great professionals that was educated at this fine institution who asked me about my admission status (interviewed and haven't heard back still) and I just about started crying :bang:

Reactions: 1 users
Currently at work alongside one of the great professionals that was educated at this fine institution who asked me about my admission status (interviewed and haven't heard back still) and I just about started crying :bang:
Same. Interviewed 10/2 and haven't heard a peep since. You're not alone!

Reactions: 3 users
Just adding another data point: I interviewed 9/27 and was accepted 12/21, so ~3 months down the road.

Reactions: 3 users
Just adding another data point: I interviewed 9/27 and was accepted 12/21, so ~3 months down the road.
Congrats! That's awesome! So moral of the story: don't lose hope just yet

Same. Interviewed 10/2 and haven't heard a peep since. You're not alone!
I wish I could rejoice in not being alone on this but I now feel terrible for the both of us and the many others that are in the same boat. Hoping 2019 will have better news for us!

Let's start a support group for those still waiting to hear back :laugh::laugh::laugh:

count me innn Hopefully something this Friday
I just refuse to get my hopes up. I honestly want to turn my phone off and lounge around all day on Friday BUT im scared ill miss a rare II and miss up on all of the dates this imaginary school might offer me ...... I'm pathetic, I know *more tears*

I just refuse to get my hopes up. I honestly want to turn my phone off and lounge around all day on Friday BUT im scared ill miss a rare II and miss up on all of the dates this imaginary school might offer me ...... I'm pathetic, I know *more tears*

My friend I feel you- I have been dreading the third Friday of every month- it's a misery inducing cycle of checking my email, then SDN, then my email again just to see if there is any news, and then alas- nothing lol. How do I break this bad habit?? :help::laugh::laugh:

My friend I feel you- I have been dreading the third Friday of every month- it's a misery inducing cycle of checking my email, then SDN, then my email again just to see if there is any news, and then alas- nothing lol. How do I break this bad habit?? :help::laugh::laugh:
When you figure that out, let me know plzz.

Its strange to join a new forum this late on (interviewed Jan 10th); I feel like a new kid at school who joined half-way through the year and is quietly sitting in the corner watching all of the other kids talk about months of stuff that I missed out on.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know approximately how many interviews they are conducting this cycle? I know MSAR says last year was 495, but I am wondering if the change to MMI has affected this number.

During my interview, I remember them saying 600 people are interviewed.

I actually got notified via email Dec. 21, while I was in Nigeria on vacation over the break :)

Ahh! A fellow Nigerian, congratulations hun! Naija no dey carry last lol. :clap:

So who's bracing for that potential decision tomorrow?

Wait WHAT!?!? Does this include someone who interviewed 1 week ago?
Probably not since interviews have not concluded yet. If you interviewed last week, your decision will probably be grouped with the last batch.

Trust me, I've been waiting for almost 3 months...

Probably not since interviews have not concluded yet. If you interviewed last week, your decision will probably be grouped with the last batch.

Trust me, I've been waiting for almost 3 months...

What about if you interviewed the first week of jan

I interviewed this past Tuesday. Dr. Braun said that next Tuesday is the last interview day and that they want to have decisions out to everyone by the first week in February. Fingers crossed everyone!

That would be a pretty big change from last year looks like they did acceptances well into March and April last year

I interviewed this past Tuesday. Dr. Braun said that next Tuesday is the last interview day and that they want to have decisions out to everyone by the first week in February. Fingers crossed everyone!
That’s actually terrifying news .. would that mean that all of us waiting to hear back are most likely going to be waitlisted / rejected??

That’s actually terrifying news .. would that mean that all of us waiting to hear back are most likely going to be waitlisted / rejected??

Oof I'm with you there. Seems like they are moving through applicants very quickly. It might be possible more students are waitlisted this year because of the new AAMC traffic rules. Either way I'm tired of being in this limbo haha. I just want to find out sooner rather than later ya know.

Oof I'm with you there. Seems like they are moving through applicants very quickly. It might be possible more students are waitlisted this year because of the new AAMC traffic rules. Either way I'm tired of being in this limbo haha. I just want to find out sooner rather than later ya know.
Yeah I know what you mean. I just feel so helpless through this process... idk what to do. Mercer and MCG have gone radio silent on me which I never expected..

Yeah I know what you mean. I just feel so helpless through this process... idk what to do. Mercer and MCG have gone radio silent on me which I never expected..

+1

what is this "new AAMC traffic rule"

Anyone know when we will hear back regarding which campus we are assigned to?

what is this "new AAMC traffic rule"
from what i was told at a different school interview, AMCAS has changed it so that schools don't know where all applicants have been accepted to. So before, they could calculate the likelihood of students actually going to their school vs another school (say a state school vs harvard) and if they felt like you'd probably go to harvard bc you got in, they'd be willing to send out more acceptances, but now since they don't know where all people are getting into, they are being careful to not give out too many acceptances in case everyone decides to go to that school and now they have over committed and have a class size of a billion

I've given up on getting an interview invite here at this point. I'm going to go eat a ton of ice cream and binge-watch The Office. (It seems stupid, but this is the only school close to my fiance and I am not looking forward to 4 years of long distance.) Turns out you never know. 516 MCAT, 3.7 GPA with upward trend (no C's, and 4.0 my last 3 semesters of upper level sciences). I went here for undergrad, from Ga. my whole life, have lots of volunteer experience (clinical and non clinical), and shadowed an alumni from here. (I have an acceptance elsewhere, and an interview at a OOS school with much higher stats so I don't think my LORs are bad). I know it's probably just that they don't like me as an applicant, but I can't help feeling like I made some dumb application error that killed my chances. My secondary was looked over by plenty of people (both in and out of the healthcare field.) Oh well. Congrats to those who were accepted!

I've given up on getting an interview invite here at this point. I'm going to go eat a ton of ice cream and binge-watch The Office. (It seems stupid, but this is the only school close to my fiance and I am not looking forward to 4 years of long distance.) Turns out you never know. 516 MCAT, 3.7 GPA with upward trend (no C's, and 4.0 my last 3 semesters of upper level sciences). I went here for undergrad, from Ga. my whole life, have lots of volunteer experience (clinical and non clinical), and shadowed an alumni from here. (I have an acceptance elsewhere, and an interview at a OOS school with much higher stats so I don't think my LORs are bad). I know it's probably just that they don't like me as an applicant, but I can't help feeling like I made some dumb application error that killed my chances. My secondary was looked over by plenty of people (both in and out of the healthcare field.) Oh well. Congrats to those who were accepted!
Can’t imagine what they wouldn’t like about you! I share your befuddlement! You sound like an awesome candidate. Are you traditional or non-trad?

Were any acceptances sent out today that anyone knows of? I thought the third Friday or every month would be decision day but nothing on here yet

I’m operating under the assumption there will be a sizeable wave next week. Past 2 year threads show big decisions coming from the last Friday of January.

Been waiting ~2 months. My only II. P L S

Reactions: 4 users
I’m operating under the assumption there will be a sizeable wave next week. Past 2 year threads show big decisions coming from the last Friday of January.

Been waiting ~2 months. My only II. P L S
Expect the best, but prepare for the worst. It only takes one acceptance to be an MD...keep the faith! But also be prepared to be a re-applicant.

I think medical schools are unable to see if you have multiple acceptances, so they are more cautious about who they accept. There might be more wait-lists this year.

So will they be able to see the acceptances after a certain point? What if a person doesn’t have an acceptance?