2018-2019 Michigan State University College of Human Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post the secondary questions once you receive them. Check last year's thread in the 2017-2018 SSD forum for last year's questions, they tend to not change very much from year to year.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Michigan State University College of Human Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Me neither. It’s my last school, I was verified June 12th

Reactions: 1 users
I understand that MSU can have a huge bias against OOS. Anyone know the kind of grades/ECs that you would need to even consider applying as an OOS?

Reactions: 1 user
secondary prompts!

The College of Human Medicine implemented a new curriculum in the fall of 2016. Describe your understanding of this curriculum. Explain which of your attributes/strengths will assist in being successful in this curriculum. Explain how you will address any challenges it might pose. Please limit your response to 250 words or less.

Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.

If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.

Thoroughly review the CHM course Prerequisite Model Options as outlined on our website. Which course prerequisite model are you applying to CHM with? (choose between options)

Last edited:
I understand that MSU can have a huge bias against OOS. Anyone know the kind of grades/ECs that you would need to even consider applying as an OOS?
Not sure exact numbers but check out their FAQ page for current applicants. It gave me a lot of hope as an OOS. They mention 20-25% of the class are OOS.

Not sure exact numbers but check out their FAQ page for current applicants. It gave me a lot of hope as an OOS. They mention 20-25% of the class are OOS.

I checked out the MSU interview rates on MSAR though. I know that anything is technically speaking possible, but it is a pretty low interview invite percentage for OOS. Something like 2% of applicants?

Maybe I am starting to get jaded and worn out from dishing money to these secondaries. It would be good to save a bit of money and not pay a secondary for once. But then again..

I checked out the MSU interview rates on MSAR though. I know that anything is technically speaking possible, but it is a pretty low interview invite percentage for OOS. Something like 2% of applicants?

Maybe I am starting to get jaded and worn out from dishing money to these secondaries. It would be good to save a bit of money and not pay a secondary for once. But then again..
The out of state COA might be a significant deterrent tho

I definitely agree, the cost can be a total drag, but I think if you really feel like you fit the mission and you embody what the school is looking for, shoot your shot. I obviously understand being realistic about our chances, but they have to accept those OOS from somewhere, so why not have it be you? I'm not sure how to exactly interpret those stats from MSAR, as I understand it, verified applications is only primary applications and not secondaries as well (could totally be wrong about this). The price and the IS bias could deter a lot of those applicants from filling out a secondary, which would then drive down the number of available applicants to select for an interview. The numbers are still paltry at best. Because their stats are a little lower (which they admit to in the FAQ) I think people select it in the primary process and have no idea or inclination what the school/mission is about which will also drive down the available applicant pool to select from.

I definitely agree, the cost can be a total drag, but I think if you really feel like you fit the mission and you embody what the school is looking for, shoot your shot. I obviously understand being realistic about our chances, but they have to accept those OOS from somewhere, so why not have it be you? I'm not sure how to exactly interpret those stats from MSAR, as I understand it, verified applications is only primary applications and not secondaries as well (could totally be wrong about this). The price and the IS bias could deter a lot of those applicants from filling out a secondary, which would then drive down the number of available applicants to select for an interview. The numbers are still paltry at best. Because their stats are a little lower (which they admit to in the FAQ) I think people select it in the primary process and have no idea or inclination what the school/mission is about which will also drive down the available applicant pool to select from.
This is great advice lilseb, thank you <3
I wish you luck for this application cycle and hopefully will run into you as a classmate next year

When referring to the school in our essays are you guys using MSUCHM? or just MSU or CHM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any medical students currently at MSUCHM who can comment on the curriculum? I haven't been able to find any feedback from students online :(..

Are there any medical students currently at MSUCHM who can comment on the curriculum? I haven't been able to find any feedback from students online :(..
+1

Would we complete with all the content tested on the step in 2 years? or will we have to self study

Submitted my secondary last night and received in on July 12th, now hopefully waiting for an interview or rejection haha

"Have you applied or plan to apply for a military scholarship? If you are unsure, please select "no". "

anyone know how the answer to the above question factors in? I do plan on applying

secondary prompts!

Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.

If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.

Thoroughly review the CHM course Prerequisite Model Options as outlined on our website. Which course prerequisite model are you applying to CHM with? (choose between options)

weird. are those the only prompts on your portal? my portal has 3 essays including this:

1. The College of Human Medicine implemented a new curriculum in the fall of 2016. Describe your understanding of this curriculum. Explain which of your attributes/strengths will assist in being successful in this curriculum. Explain how you will address any challenges it might pose. Please limit your response to 250 words or less.

weird. are those the only prompts on your portal? my portal has 3 essays including this:

1. The College of Human Medicine implemented a new curriculum in the fall of 2016. Describe your understanding of this curriculum. Explain which of your attributes/strengths will assist in being successful in this curriculum. Explain how you will address any challenges it might pose. Please limit your response to 250 words or less.

Yeah, I just checked I forgot to add that question in sorry!

does anyone know what they mean when they say "address" in this question:

The College of Human Medicine implemented a new curriculum in the fall of 2016. Describe your understanding of this curriculum. Explain which of your attributes/strengths will assist in being successful in this curriculum. Explain how you will address any challenges it might pose. Please limit your response to 250 words or less.

does anyone know what they mean when they say "address" in this question:

How will you "face" any challenges, what strategies will you use

Submitted and officially forwarded for preliminary review. Let the abuse begin. :diebanana:

But really, good luck everyone!

Hey guys OOS here. Looking at the MSAR, OOS MCAT avg is a 504 while IS MCAT avg is a 508. Does anyone know why? I thought usually OOS has to score higher than IS...

Hey guys OOS here. Looking at the MSAR, OOS MCAT avg is a 504 while IS MCAT avg is a 508. Does anyone know why? I thought usually OOS has to score higher than IS...
Probably has something to do with the cost for OOS students here. I remember MSAR saying like $87,000 a year for OOS or something ridiculously high. That’s about 3 times the cost for in-state students at Michigan public med schools. Easily approaches half a million in debt for OOS after 4 years with living expenses and interest.

Does anyone know how to obtain last year's match list for MSUCHM? When I try to look it up only MSUCOM's pops up.

Anyone else not have their LORs showing up on the document status page? I have a green checkmark next to Letters of Evaluation on my status page, so I'm not worried, only curious if anyone else has the same thing.

Anyone else not have their LORs showing up on the document status page? I have a green checkmark next to Letters of Evaluation on my status page, so I'm not worried, only curious if anyone else has the same thing.
That's how mine is too

Sames, nothing under the recommendation heading but all of my colleges are listed under transcripts.

Guys I am confused about this question? Does anyone know what is the new curriculum that CHM implemented in 2016?

QUOTE="nzvirk, post: 20164348, member: 824757"]Guys I am confused about this question? Does anyone know what is the new curriculum that CHM implemented in 2016?
1. The College of Human Medicine implemented a new curriculum in the fall of 2016. Describe your understanding of this curriculum. Explain which of your attributes/strengths will assist in being successful in this curriculum. Explain how you will address any challenges it might pose. Please limit your response to 250 words or less.[/QUOTE]

it's called "the shared discovery". you can easily find it and read about it from a simple google search. Just go to MSU's website

I have some questions about the special programs. Do you guys know if the med school will enroll you in Spanish classes if you are not fluent and want to be part of the LMU program, or do you already need to be proficient in the language?

Also does anyone understand the difference between the two rural track in programs? After researching on the med school website they essentially look the same to me...

I was going over last year's thread and I see some people commenting about getting a physician letter. I looked through their website and I cant seem to find anything about specific MD letter, Does anyone know if they changed that or am i just missing it?

I was going over last year's thread and I see some people commenting about getting a physician letter. I looked through their website and I cant seem to find anything about specific MD letter, Does anyone know if they changed that or am i just missing it?

You could always email them, but in general it’s good to always have a letter from some sort of healthcare provider, especially a physician because it shows you have taken the time to shadow and see if the medical field is a good fit for you.

submitted secondary and my application has been Forwarded for Preliminary Review on 7/20/2018!

+1

Would we complete with all the content tested on the step in 2 years? or will we have to self study

Current M2, please message me if you still have questions about the curriculum.

Personally, I really enjoy the curriculum. It is so low stress but still motivates students to study. It's also very much based towards Step. You will need to self study for Step 1 at any school.

Also, being a second year and getting to spend time in the hospital, watching, learning and having a role in a patient's care is really awesome. At our last progress suite I got multiple questions right because I saw patients in clinic that related to the question stem.

CHM is a great place to be.

@fundingfree

I have also been researching the curriculum a lot and I personally love it, especially the clinical experience. My biggest concern was the step exam. I know we have to study on our own at basically any school, but most schools take the first 2 years to prepare you towards those exams. With the changes CHM made and the focus being put on clinical experience and applying the stuff being learned in school to real life situations, how did that help you when you were preparing for steps. Do you think you and your peers felt more prepared when you started studying or did you feel like there was a lot of stuff you were seeing for the first time?
Also, it states that stuff you are learning gets directly applied during ECE and MCE, so are you seeing patients based on what you are currently learning about or do you get to see any patient that shows to the clinic during your hours.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to figure out how is this curriculum affecting studying. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Hello! Submitting secondary here soon. Anyone interested in exchanging to read over?

Anyone else having trouble copy/pasting into the secondary box? does this mean I have to retype my responses into the application? :/

It could be you have gone over your word limit, it differs from what is shown on word, so try cutting it down. Also try using chrome and the paste as plain text option. I'm not sure if its this secondary or another one, but they say to not copy and paste, I had no troubles when I did it and my responses look fine from my end.

Anyone else having trouble copy/pasting into the secondary box? does this mean I have to retype my responses into the application? :/
Yes I did and it was super annoying since I was under my word limit. I had to type it out

Anyone know when IIs get sent out?
Last year, the first IIs were sent out on 8/3, so today!

But, I personally don't think it will happen today. Michigan State prove me wrong!

Reactions: 2 users
I just want to take a sleep pill and hibernate for the next two weeks. lol Never thought being on the couch doing nothing but checking my mailbox would be this damnn hard

I had a vision from the II gods that this week will be lit with interview invitations. it shall begin

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else's portal not loading?