2018-2019 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a question for current students or people planning on going here: how do you feel about the summer semester? I feel like most schools don’t start this early and it seems difficult if you’re graduating from undergrad to go straight into medical school without much of a break. Just wondering what people’s thoughts are

I believe that’s how it is for all DO schools since they have to fit in OMT classes. As much as it is annoying, u can see it also as a good thing that we won’t have to take a class as important and as heavy as gross anatomy along with 4 other important classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a question for current students or people planning on going here: how do you feel about the summer semester? I feel like most schools don’t start this early and it seems difficult if you’re graduating from undergrad to go straight into medical school without much of a break. Just wondering what people’s thoughts are

It’s a blessing and a curse. You get one class out of the way which is usually one of the hardest classes to Master, but at the same time you don’t get a break. In addition the summer class oms2 year has now been change to include OB/GYN because a certain class complained that their winter semester was too hard. It makes it now very difficult to do research and your summer leading to OMS2. To get to the point that doesn’t change anything. You still have to work hard regardless you still got to stay sharp and your time to goof around has been restricted. Starting medical school is not like starting any other program it is very life consuming because even when you’re not studying you feel like you should be studying and even when you are studying you feel like you should be studying harder. With that point please do not try to pre-study anything it will not help you. I recommend instead that all of you learn how to cook, how to time manage better, and most importantly of all get into a routine of waking up early exercising and learning ways to cope with your stress and anxiety. Medical school will be physically challenging and mentally. A little bit long-winded and off topic but take my advise .

Reactions: 6 users
It’s a blessing and a curse. You get one class out of the way which is usually one of the hardest classes to Master, but at the same time you don’t get a break. In addition the summer class oms2 year has now been change to include OB/GYN because a certain class complained that their winter semester was too hard. It makes it now very difficult to do research and your summer leading to OMS2. To get to the point that doesn’t change anything. You still have to work hard regardless you still got to stay sharp and your time to goof around has been restricted. Starting medical school is not like starting any other program it is very life consuming because even when you’re not studying you feel like you should be studying and even when you are studying you feel like you should be studying harder. With that point please do not try to pre-study anything it will not help you. I recommend instead that all of you learn how to cook, how to time manage better, and most importantly of all get into a routine of waking up early exercising and learning ways to cope with your stress and anxiety. Medical school will be physically challenging and mentally. A little bit long-winded and off topic but take my advise .
Thank you so much, this was extremely helpful

Members don't see this ad :)

I am still in this forum for this :love:

Does anyone know how strict MSUCOM is about transferring between sites after the summer semester or even after M1? I've heard from a few friends who are second and third year students that they do allow some students to switch sites after some time.

Reactions: 1 users
Finally just got the call... ACCEPTED! interview 1/24

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know how strict MSUCOM is about transferring between sites after the summer semester or even after M1? I've heard from a few friends who are second and third year students that they do allow some students to switch sites after some time.

So from what I’ve heard after talking to current students is that it’s based on if spots open up. For example if students at DMC fail anatomy or biochem during the summer semester, then those would be instances where a spot would open up and someone could possibly switch campuses. So from what I understand, it all depends on how many people fail out of summer 1 semester and how many are requesting transfer.

Does anyone know roughly how many students are in each wait list tier?

I was wondering this as well.. I am on the Tier 2 waitlist anxiously wondering when that waitlist might start moving!

Hey Everybody,

I am an admitted student for the incoming class starting in June 2019! I am currently abroad finishing a one-year Master's program in Molecular Biomedicine. I simply did the master as an opportunity to live abroad for a year and improve my Spanish proficiency. I was accepted without any conditions regarding my Master's grades but I am wondering if anyone knows if my Master's grades will affect my standing at MSUCOM at all?

Appreciate any insight! Thanks!

This is purely speculation, but I have commonly heard people say that students who get accepted their senior year of undergrad are just expected to pass their remaining classes. Not that I have ever heard an admissions committee confirm that, I would assume the same would apply to your masters - perhaps not even because the Bachelors degree is required to enter medical school and a Masters is not.

I'm also doing graduate coursework and wondered this same thing about the school I have been accepted to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any current students have recommendations on apartment complexes in East Lansing to look into?

Interviewed yesterday and was blown away. Any idea how full the class is at this point?

Also how long did you guys typically wait for an answer? They said 30 business days but they also said it would probably be sooner than that.

Can anyone who has been accepted give insight as to where we get our PID/PAN numbers? Also does APID on the release forms refer to the PID?

Can anyone who has been accepted give insight as to where we get our PID/PAN numbers? Also does APID on the release forms refer to the PID?
The APID should be entered on your "onboarding" tab in the secondary application portal. Yes, PID and APID are the same thing. This is your personal identification number. I'm not entirely sure what the PAN is used for.

Does anybody know when financial aid awards come out?

Just so everybody knows the drop date for allopathic schools I believe is still April 15 there’s a lot of movement around then

At my interview I heard some students talk about how last year all of tier 1 and half of tier 2 was called up, however, not sure as to how many students that means

Just so everybody knows the drop date for allopathic schools I believe is still April 15 there’s a lot of movement around then

Do you have any insight as to how much movement occurs on the DMC site waitlist? Can you get into a different site anytime before classes start?

Do you have any insight as to how much movement occurs on the DMC site waitlist? Can you get into a different site anytime before classes start?

No insight. It honestly varies by the year. Sometimes you have really strong students at any certain site and everyone moves along and there is no room for people to transfer in. If you are planning to commute dmc and muc is solid choice. Remember it’s only 2 yrs and half the time you will not go to class because it’s easier to double speed everything home in your PJs. On a side note, remember where you do preclerkship has no influence on your base hospital selection or access to research. Whatever site you are at you will need to be proactive about finding it

Any chance of a II still? I know some pre-II rejections have been sent the past few weeks. Is there any hope?

Any chance of a II still? I know some pre-II rejections have been sent the past few weeks. Is there any hope?

There are interview dates on March 7th and 20th so it’s possible they will still send out interview invites and some people might cancel their interviews!

T3 waitlist, interviewed 1/24. Thought the interview went very well but I guess they couldn't look past my grades or something. Looks like I have to reapply..

T3 waitlist, interviewed 1/24. Thought the interview went very well but I guess they couldn't look past my grades or something. Looks like I have to reapply..

I was in the same boat 2 cycles ago. Improved my grades and reapplied and it worked for me. Highly recommend you meet with anne or one of the counselors as well. Good luck!

I was in the same boat 2 cycles ago. Improved my grades and reapplied and it worked for me. Highly recommend you meet with anne or one of the counselors as well. Good luck!
Can I PM you?

Interviewing tomorrow and we're supposed to get 3-5" of snow... do they have a closet or room that I could put my coat/boots in so that I don't have to walk across campus in heels and suit?

Interviewing tomorrow and we're supposed to get 3-5" of snow... do they have a closet or room that I could put my coat/boots in so that I don't have to walk across campus in heels and suit?
Yes they have a room you can hang up your jacket

current students, does MSUCOM drug test in the process of enrollment? Seems like a legitimate question given the recent law changes in Michigan. Please and thank you
Not sure if anyone answered this for you yet:
Urine drug screens are in the spring/summer before you start clinical rotations. I do believe the college reserves the right to have you tested if they have reasonable cause, however.

I’m really curious, who plans on attending the Macomb site? I’d like to get to know some of you before June comes around! ☺️
I haven’t secured a campus site yet but I’m hoping to tour Macomb from a free OMS student. Please PM me!

Congratulations to all of you for chasing the dream. It’s a major achievement that we could easily overlook. To those of you still fighting the fight, do not quit! It’ll only make it taste sweeter when you get there. I believe in you .

Reactions: 4 users
There are interview dates on March 7th and 20th so it’s possible they will still send out interview invites and some people might cancel their interviews!

Also saw April 5

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know roughly how many acceptances they have offered this season?

Pre-II rejection this morning. Plan on reapplying. Anyone current students or recently accepted students have any advice for a reapplicant? Thanks!
Congrats to everyone who got in this cycle and good luck to those still waiting for a decision!

Pre-II rejection this morning. Plan on reapplying. Anyone current students or recently accepted students have any advice for a reapplicant? Thanks!
Congrats to everyone who got in this cycle and good luck to those still waiting for a decision!

Dm me. Include your stats, app date and in state vs outstate

Is there any significance to the AM vs PM interview time or is it just arbitrary?

Is there any significance to the AM vs PM interview time or is it just arbitrary?

From what I understand, AM or PM doesn't matter - I think it just depends on your schedule and your preferences

I have an interview toms. Does anyone have any last minute tips?