2018-2019 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone who interviewed this month hear anything back yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Thought I was getting a pre-interview rejection email but it was an II instead- I was shocked.
I had all my other interviews back in aug/sept and have rescinded some acceptances to put money toward my favorite school. I’ve already sent them two deposits that were due.

The interview dates offered were in March. Idk if It’s worth it to go? Are they even still accepting people and not putting everyone on the waitlist?
I’m OOS and feeling very torn as to whether it’s worth it to make the trip.

Reactions: 1 users
Thought I was getting a pre-interview rejection email but it was an II instead- I was shocked.
I had all my other interviews back in aug/sept and have rescinded some acceptances to put money toward my favorite school. I’ve already sent them two deposits that were due.

The interview dates offered were in March. Idk if It’s worth it to go? Are they even still accepting people and not putting everyone on the waitlist?

Hey friend - I got one this morning as well! When I went up to sign up they did have spots open late Feb as well. It didn't say if it was for the waitlist though, I came to check for that as well.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey! Current in state first year. Not sure about the waitlist but as an OOS make sure you’re aware of the out of state tuition. MSUCOM is a great school and I love it here but not sure if I would go if I had to pay out of state tuition prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Interview just now. Dates available 3/7, 3/20. Complete like forever ago lol. What’s the general impression of this school? Thank you guys!

Did any of you who wrote a thank you email after your interview get a response? I’m not expecting one but am hoping it hasn’t gotten lost in the shuffle.

From a tuition and general DO school applicant standpoint, if I'm from the west coast and have an acceptance at another midwest DO school already (not a DO school with the worst reputation but certainly far from being the best, and it's my only acceptance so far), it's probably not worth it for me to go to this interview right?

I've heard from many sources that this school is one of the best DO schools, but man that OOS tuition...

From a tuition and general DO school applicant standpoint, if I'm from the west coast and have an acceptance at another midwest DO school already (not a DO school with the worst reputation but certainly far from being the best, and it's my only acceptance so far), it's probably not worth it for me to go to this interview right?

I've heard from many sources that this school is one of the best DO schools, but man that OOS tuition...

Just go to the interview , see how you like it and then IF you get accepted, decided then. I’m biased as a 4th yr to say yes os tuition is worth it . You get good name brand recognition, better chance at residences in the MOST friendly DO state. Your in big cities in all 3 site. Also, most importantly most classes are not mandatory , you can double speed your lectures from in your underwear .... just saying

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm in the exact same boat being OOS for MSUCOM but the reputation and fear of wondering "what if" is making me feel inclined to at least go to the interview and see what the school is like. You can't really know much about a school until you interview...

Did you actually have 25 II? That is impressive!
Yeah! I applied to nearly all DO schools and got more bites than I ever thought possible. This OOS tuition puts a very bad taste in my mouth. Hopefully one of you gets my interview slot

Reactions: 2 users
For those accepted and who chose the DMC campus, do you know of any resources to help find housing downtown?

Members don't see this ad :)
Current students, what kind of coverage does MSUCOM’s health insurance cover? Dental?

January 16th interviewees, has anyone heard back yet?

Also, if we're waitlisted, will that be a call or an email?

I have a question.
If we have health insurance prior to enrolling at MSUCOM, can we opt out of the health insurance that the school offers and save the $2000+ health insurance fees?

I have a question.
If we have health insurance prior to enrolling at MSUCOM, can we opt out of the health insurance that the school offers and save the $2000+ health insurance fees?

Students with prior health insurance are able to opt out of the MSU plans. I am not sure about any insurance fees. You can check out this resource if you have any questions. [page title - Aerostat2016]

Has anyone with a 501 MCAT and ~3.9 GPA gotten an interview invite? I am an in-state resident. Hoping that all the interviews haven't been taken up. Trying to keep hope alive
When did you apply? Do you feel like your application fits with their mission?

I was complete this month. I had troubles getting a secondary because it went to my spam, so I thought I wasn't offered a secondary. They said I could still submit as there were some spots open. I think that my application was solid and I explained any weaknesses in the optional essay. I have an appointment with an advisor to see if that might help. Overall, I think my application really shows I am a good fit for the school. The 3 DOs that I shadowed from were all from MSUCOM.
My stats are lower than yours (GPA way lower) and I received II but I was complete in September. The meeting with the advisor will help for sure if not for this cycle then definitely for next cycle. I really hope you hear back soon. Good luck :)

giphy.gif

Waiting on that tier 1 acceptance call like...

I just turned down my acceptance so hopefully one of you on the waitlist ends up getting the spot!

To those who interviewed, did you feel like there was anything to do to help you prepare other than being knowledgeable about MMIs?

To those who interviewed, did you feel like there was anything to do to help you prepare other than being knowledgeable about MMIs?
I think knowing your application will help. Biggest piece of advice I can give you is to just relax and have fun. The interviewers really want you to do well! It's definitely a low stress setting.

Those who have gotten decisions post interview, how long did they usually take to get back with you? I'm pretty sure I interviewed on the most recent date but I'm getting anxious haha.

I interviewed on 1/24 smh. This is the worst part.

Those who have gotten decisions post interview, how long did they usually take to get back with you? I'm pretty sure I interviewed on the most recent date but I'm getting anxious haha.

It took 4 weeks and 6 days for me to hear back.

Is MSU COM still giving IIs?

Reactions: 3 users
Is MSU COM still giving IIs?

They are still. I submitted my secondary to MSU in late August and received an II tonight. I was very surprised. I believe there are 2 dates left in March.

Reactions: 5 users
I got an II. Can anyone tell me how this interview will be like?

Did any of you who wrote a thank you email after your interview get a response? I’m not expecting one but am hoping it hasn’t gotten lost in the shuffle.

Wrote a thank you letter. Didn’t get a reply.

Does anyone know if the April 1st one acceptance only rule applies to DO applicants as well? Or is that just for MD applicants

Does anyone know if the April 1st one acceptance only rule applies to DO applicants as well? Or is that just for MD applicants
AACOMAS has it's own traffic guidelines separate from the AAMC. They can be found here: AACOMAS Traffic Guidelines
It looks like after May 15th schools can start rescinding offers for students that have paid multiple deposits.

17 business days later....still haven’t heard back.

Just remember you have to wait about 7 months to find out where you’re going to end up in residency when you’re fourth year medical student. There are longer waits out there. Just remember to try to keep yourself occupied and do things to take your mind off of it. I understand it’s easier said than done but checking your phone excessively only builds up your anxiety. go to the gym, pick up a new hobby, make sure you pass all of your classes if you’re still in undergrad, hang out with friends and family that you won’t be able to see once you get in. Do anything that keeps you away from your phone

Reactions: 4 users