2018-2019 Midwestern University, with campuses in (Chicago, Illinois) CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you know if they’ve started sending out rejections?
Sure.

If you haven't heard back you're still in the game.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
FYI when I interviewed, we were told that we would get notifications by the end of the first week of October.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have a list of clinical rotation sites for CCOM? I can’t find it anywhere on their website

Current MS-1, here. Willing to answer questions, if you want to PM me.

Current MS-1, here. Willing to answer questions, if you want to PM me.
Would you choose ccom over an MD school? If so, why? I really want to learn omm, but it sounds like there is a lot of hassle during rotations for DO students

Would you choose ccom over an MD school? If so, why? I really want to learn omm, but it sounds like there is a lot of hassle during rotations for DO students

Definitely not

Does anyone know if this school offers scholarships or financial aid? Do most students really pay the full tuition? :O

Really not something I can answer. I'm a bit indifferent towards OMM, but if you want to be able to diagnose in a hands on way and if you want to learn some PT and chiropractics then it's definitely for you. I would choose a medical school for its price and location. Definitely try to stay close to home because they're not joking when they say medical school is trial by fire. Having your family and friends near by is a priceless resource. That's what I was considering when I chose CCOM.

As a third year, I’ve had no hassle with rotations. We have a great reputation within Chicago and as pointed out above, we rotate with a lot of the other medical programs in the area. There are some MD programs that I would choose CCOM over and others I wouldn’t. For me personally, I wanted to move to Chicago and it was between this school and Rosalind, as far as acceptances go

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!!!!

Interview 9/13. Very excited :)

Reactions: 4 users
As a third year, I’ve had no hassle with rotations. We have a great reputation within Chicago and as pointed out above, we rotate with a lot of the other medical programs in the area. There are some MD programs that I would choose CCOM over and others I wouldn’t. For me personally, I wanted to move to Chicago and it was between this school and Rosalind, as far as acceptances go

do you rotate in hospitals actually in Chicago? While CCOM is in Downer's Grove, I'd prefer to spend my third/fourth year in Chicago... possible?

do you rotate in hospitals actually in Chicago? While CCOM is in Downer's Grove, I'd prefer to spend my third/fourth year in Chicago... possible?
Seems like they do rotate in Chicago's hospitals and most people move downtown for third and fourth years from what I heard on interview day

Reactions: 1 users
The majority of us move to the city during third year but having all your rotations in the city isn’t guaranteed. We are assigned rotation sites based on a lotto system, but regardless, expect to drive for some rotations.

The majority of us move to the city during third year but having all your rotations in the city isn’t guaranteed. We are assigned rotation sites based on a lotto system, but regardless, expect to drive for some rotations.
I’m not a third year so I don’t know for sure, but they did tell us that it was mandatory for us to do core rotations in Chicago

When is the matriculation agreement due by? There was no date inside.

My first acceptance!!

Secondary Sent: 6/22
Secondary Marked Complete: 7/10
II: 7/26
Interview: 9/17
Accepted: 9/27

stats in signature

Reactions: 8 users
I’m not a third year so I don’t know for sure, but they did tell us that it was mandatory for us to do core rotations in Chicago
Core rotations need to be done at sites that have a contract with CCOM. Those sites can be in Chicago, Indiana or even the burbs.

Also accepted this morning! II 8/27 Interview 9/7 IS MCAT 510 cGPA 3.5

Congrats on the acceptances! Feel free to PM me (I’m a 2nd year) if you have any questions about CCOM.

Hey guys, it is worth it to interview at this school if I don't have any connections in Chicago?
Of course! I had no connections when I applied and was accepted. They are a private school. Although they often have a high amount of illinois residents, this is merely due to geography. The admissions office will not care where you are from.

Got an II 9/12!
Completed 7/2
interview date 11/2

congrats to everyone accepted and best of luck to those interviewing!

Accepted and im from california

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, Can I ask if the rotation sites at this school are graded more harshly than lesser quality rotation site DO schools? Basically, I have this intuition:

My intuition: Schools with “really good” rotation sites means that, yes the rotation sites teach you well, but they grade you harshly because they expect more from you as compared to “lesser quality” rotation site schools like UNECOM. So CCOMs amazing rotation sites come with harsher grading physicians who expect you to be “strong” because CCOM historically breeds strong medical students.

In my hospital where I scribe it, we have this “really good” EM rotation for PA students, but believe me: it is harsh. Many are expected to know things they say they never learned in their didactic learning, and unfortunately 3/10 fail (That’s it for them, they won’t be PAs, apparently) and the ones that pass are not given “outstanding” results and are usually heavily criticized in their letters and scores.

I fear that higher quality, near the school rotations might be good in increasing your clinical skills, but bad if you want to get into a competitive residency (as you may be graded more harshly based on the expectation that you should know more).

Basically, I got accepted at UNECOM and CCOM, and I’m not sure if CCOMs rotations are a good thing and have this intuition that UNECOMs rotation sites will be also be high quality but also less harsh in grading.

Hey guys, Can I ask if the rotation sites at this school are graded more harshly than lesser quality rotation site DO schools? Basically, I have this intuition:

My intuition: Schools with “really good” rotation sites means that, yes the rotation sites teach you well, but they grade you harshly because they expect more from you as compared to “lesser quality” rotation site schools like UNECOM. So CCOMs amazing rotation sites come with harsher grading physicians who expect you to be “strong” because CCOM historically breeds strong medical students.

In my hospital where I scribe it, we have this “really good” EM rotation for PA students, but believe me: it is harsh. Many are expected to know things they say they never learned in their didactic learning, and unfortunately 3/10 fail (That’s it for them, they won’t be PAs, apparently) and the ones that pass are not given “outstanding” results and are usually heavily criticized in their letters and scores.

I fear that higher quality, near the school rotations might be good in increasing your clinical skills, but bad if you want to get into a competitive residency (as you may be graded more harshly based on the expectation that you should know more).

Basically, I got accepted at UNECOM and CCOM, and I’m not sure if CCOMs rotations are a good thing and have this intuition that UNECOMs rotation sites will be also be high quality but also less harsh in grading.
Dude, the only way someone fails a rotation is because they did something really #*%$ing stupid, such as post Snapchat videos of a patient pelvic exam. If you made it all the way to third year you really have to try to fail by not passing a COMAT or doing something dumb as stated above. There’s even ways to pass after failing a COMAT.

Wait what? Our preceptors grade us based on a set criteria that is made transparent to us prior to rotating. As stated above, you don't fail a rotation unless you do something extremely dumb. The majority of our clinical grade is made up of the Shelf exam anyway. So even if you didn't get along well with your preceptor and they decided to grade you critically, you're fine

Hey guys, I was recently accepted at CCOM and I was wondering if someone who was attending the school right now could give me more information about whether or not CCOM gives need based or merit based scholarships? Or is it just all loans?

Hey guys, I was recently accepted at CCOM and I was wondering if someone who was attending the school right now could give me more information about whether or not CCOM gives need based or merit based scholarships? Or is it just all loans?
There are scholarships made available starting I think winter of your first year

Do these scholarships come from the CCOM office itself or are they external sources of funding that one would need to apply to?
If I recall, many are from alumni donations. I applied for scholarships and received one for MS2 but got too busy to apply to more after that. The financial aid office always says to apply because so few people do that you have a good chance of receiving something.

Do these scholarships come from the CCOM office itself or are they external sources of funding that one would need to apply to?
It’s from CCOM. Typically you just need to answer a prompt and be in good standing. I applied to one during first year and forgot to do it during second. It’s usually a couple thousand, but any bit helps. And as stated above, they encourage everyone to apply and award most applicants

Thanks so much guys, at least there is hope that the 100 k a year cost of attendance can go down, even just a little LOL

woke up to my first rejection- an email from CCOM at 4am. Kinda surprised mostly because I didn't think they would send these out so early and figured i'd get a "silent" rejection in the spring. Guess they were not at all feeling my application.

Reactions: 2 users
woke up to my first rejection- an email from CCOM at 4am. Kinda surprised mostly because I didn't think they would send these out so early and figured i'd get a "silent" rejection in the spring. Guess they were not at all feeling my application.

+1

Quick question: My secondary was verified on 9/25 (submitted early but my physician's letter came really late), How soon do you hear back from the school? How soon do you usually receive a II if you are a competitive candidate? Could someone share their personal experience? Thank you!