2018-2019 Midwestern University, with campuses in (Chicago, Illinois) CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A friend of mine was admitted this cycle with a 503, but he had a solid GPA and research experience at a T10, if that gives you any direction.

Good Point. I just got rejected from a DO school in west coast with MCAT of 506 (their average matriculant MCAT is 501.7). I have very good sGPA and good underrepresented population working/volunteer experience. Sometimes in-state preference can play a big role (I think that's why I got a solid reject) and sometimes its just luck, which would also be the case.

Members don't see this ad.

Good Point. I just got rejected from a DO school in west coast with MCAT of 506 (their average matriculant MCAT is 501.7). I have very good sGPA and good underrepresented population working/volunteer experience. Sometimes in-state preference can play a big role (I think that's why I got a solid reject) and sometimes its just luck, which would also be the case.
State preference isn't always as strong in private DO schools, but I can definitely see any West-coast school being picky about who they accept based on geography. They're all kinda like that on the west-coast.

Reactions: 1 user
Applied and didn't know they needed physician letter. Taking the L.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the complete email from here on September 1st but still haven't heard back... Is anyone else in the same situation?

Reactions: 1 users
Gave up my interview here, hopefully it goes to one of you!

I ultimately decided to not submit a secondary to CCOM. For a middle-class or lower-class person, it's very financially irresponsible to pay three-quarters of a million dollars over the course of decades in exchange for an osteopathic medical education.

I also discourage others from applying to, let alone attending, CCOM. The price is no longer reasonable given the relative rewards of becoming a primary care physician. The only way to fight a predatory institution is through defensive consumerism. Once CCOM sees that its average class stats and application numbers are dropping, they may decide to make their prices comparable to those of other private DO schools.

You guys can bash me if you'd like, but there's absolutely no excuse for MWU to charge what it does at CCOM and AZCOM. It is predatory behavior -- preying on impulsivity, desperation, and financial illiteracy.

-- My two cents, it just depends what places you've gotten accepted at.
As I have gone through my clinical rotations, some schools have hospital sites in far places so students have to find housing on their own, travel a lot, etc. Sometimes the discount in their tuition, but taking into consideration the travelling costs and other housing/expenses, etc. It ends up being the same.
I think CCOM's tuition is expensive, yes definitely. But I encourage people to reach out to students from that school to see what other costs they have to face.

What was the format of the interview? MMI? One on one? Both?
Hey my dude. It was a 3 on 1. For example, I interviewed for 25 minutes with a MS3, PhD, and a DO. Other people interviewed with 3 DOs, and others, with 3 PhDs. While it's not MMI, you can probably expect one "tricky" question where the interviewer is just trying to see how the gears turn in your head. This isn't the question they asked me, but a family friend who was an adcom years ago said he always asked something along the lines of: "a 13 y/o girl comes with her mom to your OB/GYN clinic to get birth control for heavy menstruation, but when mom leaves the room, the girl tells you that she's actually pregnant; how do you approach this scenario?" So..you know, like, one of those questions.

-- My two cents, it just depends what places you've gotten accepted at.
As I have gone through my clinical rotations, some schools have hospital sites in far places so students have to find housing on their own, travel a lot, etc. Sometimes the discount in their tuition, but taking into consideration the travelling costs and other housing/expenses, etc. It ends up being the same.
I think CCOM's tuition is expensive, yes definitely. But I encourage people to reach out to students from that school to see what other costs they have to face.

Didn't even look at their tuition till I saw your response to this post.
Holy ****. I thought the highest was tufts at 60k. CCOM is wild.

Didn't even look at their tuition till I saw your response to this post.
Holy ****. I thought the highest was tufts at 60k. CCOM is wild.

University of Illinois is $93,500 for OOS. lol I think they're the worst.

State preference isn't always as strong in private DO schools, but I can definitely see any West-coast school being picky about who they accept based on geography. They're all kinda like that on the west-coast.
Yeah on their rejection letter, that's the first reason they gave me. Other possible reasons are my recommendation letter is not from a DO, I took all of my premed classes back to school at a community college... Whoops.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 10/25, accepted just now!

For those who interviewed recently, did they say when you would hear back?

Has anyone gotten an actual Post-secondary rejection?

Does anyone have any info on Midwestern's learning style/curriculum? Aka are classes case based or lecture based? And is it a traditional or systems based curriculum? Flipped classroom? I've been having some trouble finding that info online.

Does anyone have any info on Midwestern's learning style/curriculum? Aka are classes case based or lecture based? And is it a traditional or systems based curriculum? Flipped classroom? I've been having some trouble finding that info online.
As much as possible they try to streamline it to a systems-based style. However this is difficult to do during first year in med school since you have more basic information like Biochem and Physiology. You see more of the streamlining during 2nd year. Usually they put out a sample case the beginning of the week and then all subjects try to align to that system.

As much as possible they try to streamline it to a systems-based style. However this is difficult to do during first year in med school since you have more basic information like Biochem and Physiology. You see more of the streamlining during 2nd year. Usually they put out a sample case the beginning of the week and then all subjects try to align to that system.
Thank you!

Would anyone also be able to explain a systems based curriculum in more detail? So you'd have one organ system that you focus on at a time and you would center that in each of your separate classes instead of learning unrelated things in your different classes?

I would say that ccom is more symptoms based than anything. During first year, they have a “symptom of the week” and try to have it align with the material you’re learning in your other basic science classes, but as stated above, it doesn’t always work out.
Second year is a bit more streamlined but even then, it’s just coincidence if the things you’re learning in different classes happen to line up.

Is there a facebook group for Class of 2023 students yet?

II this morning, complete mid-September! :)

Everyone with a II today:

Would you mind sharing what your stats are like? Thanks! :)

Would anyone also be able to explain a systems based curriculum in more detail? So you'd have one organ system that you focus on at a time and you would center that in each of your separate classes instead of learning unrelated things in your different classes?

I would say that ccom is more symptoms based than anything. During first year, they have a “symptom of the week” and try to have it align with the material you’re learning in your other basic science classes, but as stated above, it doesn’t always work out.
Second year is a bit more streamlined but even then, it’s just coincidence if the things you’re learning in different classes happen to line up.

I meant to say symptoms not systems!! Thanks @southflorida1107

For those who interviewed already, what time can I expect to be done? At AZCOM I was there from 7:30-2:00. Should I expect around 3:00 for CCOM then since they start an hour later?

For those who interviewed already, what time can I expect to be done? At AZCOM I was there from 7:30-2:00. Should I expect around 3:00 for CCOM then since they start an hour later?
For Friday interviews, it pretty much ends around 12:30. Then there is a complimentary lunch and CCOM students who did the campus tour with you will be sitting there and answer any casual questions you have. Expect to be out of there by 1:15 pm or so, if the panel interviews are kind of on time!

Interviews are done by noon typically but can run behind a bit. After which a group of first and/or second years will take you on a brief tour of the campus and a complimentary lunch. As soon as you step out of the library the interview is over, so use that chance to ask whatever questions you want. Nothing will get back to the adcom and the students will be honest with you

Last edited:
Interviews are done by noon typically but can run behind a bit. After which a group of first and/or second years will take you on a brief tour of the campus and a complimentary lunch. As soon as you step out of the library the interview is over, so use that chance to ask whatever questions you want. Nothing will get back to the adcom and the students will be honest with you

What's the interview schedule like? Are there presentations before hand or do you jump straight to interviewing?

So I learned today that Midwestern is phasing out their EM residency program. They couldn’t pass ACGME accrediation. Hmmm. I hope they have a backup plan in place.

So I learned today that Midwestern is phasing out their EM residency program. They couldn’t pass ACGME accrediation. Hmmm. I hope they have a backup plan in place.
The reason behind it is pretty dumb honestly. ACGME requires residents to spend 50% of their time at a single site and the program wasn’t able to correct it in time. From what I understand, they’re already in the process of reapplying for accreditation

Woke up to a rejection this morning, good luck to everyone else!

Woke up to a rejection email this morning. Low stats. OOS.

Best of luck to you all. I shall cling tighter to my one II.

The reason behind it is pretty dumb honestly. ACGME requires residents to spend 50% of their time at a single site and the program wasn’t able to correct it in time. From what I understand, they’re already in the process of reapplying for accreditation

While I understand that the reasoning behind it may be dumb, it is happening to many programs that will make it tougher on DOs in the short term.

Only reason I commented is that I wish so pursue EM. I am trying to figure out what my path would be with DO and what this residency system is gonna turn out to be like with programs phasing out. I heard talks of the groups creating 2 EM residency locations, north and south.

While I understand that the reasoning behind it may be dumb, it is happening to many programs that will make it tougher on DOs in the short term.

Only reason I commented is that I wish so pursue EM. I am trying to figure out what my path would be with DO and what this residency system is gonna turn out to be like with programs phasing out. I heard talks of the groups creating 2 EM residency locations, north and south.
I’m as concerned as you are since I plan to apply for EM as well, however there are still plenty of options available. St. James’ lack of an EM residency shouldn’t deter anyone since there are several historically DO programs still around and honesty, there are also plenty of DO friendly allopathic EM residencies aswell.

Rejection post secondary this morning. complete 8/5 - 505 mcat 3.75 graduate GPA