2018-2019 NYU School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those who've already interviewed, does NYU allow note-taking during the 2-minute period before entering the interviewing room? Any tips for preparing??

They do. Maybe just prepare to wrap it up within the 5 minutes that they give you, which is shorter than most other MMIs.

my best friend just passed away today and i have an interview in 2 days. does this count as an emergency to reschedule? i am in a bit of a shock but dont know how to handle it this situation
I would definitely think so. The admissions people are human too and I’m sure they would understand the weight of your situation.

Also I’m so sorry about your friend

Members don't see this ad :)
my best friend just passed away today and i have an interview in 2 days. does this count as an emergency to reschedule? i am in a bit of a shock but dont know how to handle it this situation
I am very sorry about your friend! I hope you can cherish the great moments you shared together! And I do wish for your sake that they can let you reschedule!!

Best wishes in the days to come,

Not sure if anyone is allowed to answer this (due to NDA), but is there a traditional interview implemented somewhere in the interview day? I wanna talk more about who I am and what I have to offer, and I feel like I wont be able to do that by answering ethical questions via MMI

edit: sorry if this was already asked

Last edited:
Do interviewees/students tend to hang out/go out after interview day is over? Wondering if I should stay the night and fly out the next morning.

Do interviewees/students tend to hang out/go out after interview day is over? Wondering if I should stay the night and fly out the next morning.
Wait, is this a thing? So far, I've never gone out after any of my interviews but this sounds like such a great idea!

Wait, is this a thing? So far, I've never gone out after any of my interviews but this sounds like such a great idea!

I feel like that would totally depend on the people interviewing that day. You could always suggest it and see but I feel like it's not worth staying an extra night just to go out (at least coming from someone who would try to save as much as possible haha)

II! Complete mid September, primary way before that

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else that interview here find the MMI to be a little tricky/challenging? (please no specifics)

Can anyone who visited this school already comment on the location/feel? I realized pretty quickly during this cycle that I can't stand big city/towering buildings/cramped city feel. Thought I'd be able to since I've done it in the past but can't stand the idea of going back to it. I know new York is exactly that but if this has more of a campus feel away from the center of new York then I wouldn't mind.

Damn I guess I'm just worried about my II performance haha :( found myself stumped on a few of the follow up questions
Have confidence in yourself! They wouldn't have invited you to interview if they didn't already like you. Also, remember that the nice thing about MMIs is that every station is a fresh start. So, even if you didn't do your best on a couple, that won't affect your score for the others! At any rate, there's nothing to do now but wait to see what happens. Try not to think about your performance for what's already past -- focus on prepping for your next interview or just something completely unrelated and fun :)

Can anyone who visited this school already comment on the location/feel? I realized pretty quickly during this cycle that I can't stand big city/towering buildings/cramped city feel. Thought I'd be able to since I've done it in the past but can't stand the idea of going back to it. I know new York is exactly that but if this has more of a campus feel away from the center of new York then I wouldn't mind.
Had some similar hesitations as you before I went, but after being there I truly am not worried about it anymore. There are certainly towering buildings, but I didn't get that cramped city feel you mention. Plus, the facilities are honestly super nice.

Had some similar hesitations as you before I went, but after being there I truly am not worried about it anymore. There are certainly towering buildings, but I didn't get that cramped city feel you mention. Plus, the facilities are honestly super nice.

Thats reassuring to hear! Was the medical school itself in the middle of all these buildings or did it at least feel somewhat separate like it's own mini campus?

Thats reassuring to hear! Was the medical school itself in the middle of all these buildings or did it at least feel somewhat separate like it's own mini campus?
It's kind of its own thing. We didn't see the actual building where lectures are held but, from what I understand, your time as a medical student there will be spent in various buildings (there are three hospitals, the admissions building, the actual building where they have lectures, etc.). I asked one of the tour guides and he said you can think of the sum of all those buildings as essentially the medical school. It's basically the Langone medical campus, with which NYU is affiliated. This was my take, anyway.

It's kind of its own thing. We didn't see the actual building where lectures are held but, from what I understand, your time as a medical student there will be spent in various buildings (there are three hospitals, the admissions building, the actual building where they have lectures, etc.). I asked one of the tour guides and he said you can think of the sum of all those buildings as essentially the medical school. It's basically the Langone medical campus, with which NYU is affiliated. This was my take, anyway.

Okay awesome, thank you for the description! I tried googling images and using google maps and I think I see what you mean. Ugh I'm trying to narrow down what schools I actually go to and I can't seem to lol

Okay awesome, thank you for the description! I tried googling images and using google maps and I think I see what you mean. Ugh I'm trying to narrow down what schools I actually go to and I can't seem to lol
It’s so hard so I’m going to end up going to all of them especially since a lot of the schools went up or down on my list after actually visiting them

Reactions: 1 users
It’s so hard so I’m going to end up going to all of them especially since a lot of the schools went up or down on my list after actually visiting them

Unfortunately that's probably gonna end up being the same for me

Is most of the campus in the up direction than the side direction?

Is most of the campus in the up direction than the side direction?
They have their "hospital super block" on first ave (3 hospitals), other admin buildings close by. The dorm is near bellevue. Essentially the "campus" is a couple blocks off of first ave in the Lower East side with random clinical sites all over NY (and 1 in FL).

I would not say it is a campus in the traditional sense. More like you are in the city, but all of the med school specific buildings are placed within 5 min walk away if you live on campus.

I haven’t specifically toured the med school ‘campus’ for NYU but I know the city well and the area NYU in is very classically Manhattan. In that it is in a really great area of the city, close to the fun areas to go out and the eclectic areas of lower Manhattan but also pretty close to midtown and easy to get uptown. There’s a lot of stuff going on around it. Icahn is in a bit more residential area and more out of the hustle and bustle by being up on the top of the upper east side, but still really accessible to the rest of the city. Columbia is wayyy up on the west side so very far removed from Manhattan and honestly not in the most desirable area (it is not in the same place as Columbia undergrad, which is also the upper west side but much lower down, right near Central Park). Cornell is in a slightly quieter (versus NYU) but still pretty central part of Manhattan, also on the upper east side but about 30 blocks south of Icahn. Lots of good bars and restaurants in that area. So NYU is desirable in terms of locations for a lot of reasons but I wouldn’t necessarily describe it as a cohesive “campus” separated from the city at all!

For those who have interviewed here, was there a preinterview dinner?

It seems they have scheduled most, if not all, of their interviews by now. Don't lose hope though, people cancel interviews sometimes so you might be able to snag a spot :).
I can’t imagine many people giving up an II here lol. Especially with the free tuition offer

I still can’t imagine someone giving up the prospect of free tuition lol

Yeah, who's gonna get an acceptance on October 15th and think "yeah, i'm gonna cancel my interview with the school that gives free tuition"?

And IIRC from interview day, 25-30% of students get COA scholarships on top of free tuition

True. I just kinda wish the interviews were higher yield. Dean said hes gonna cap acceptances at 92 so only like 10% of interviewees gonna get in

Hi everyone! Looking for some NYU specific MMI advice. I know you all probably signed confidentiality agreements so you can't disclose much but I was wondering how in-depth someone should prepare for ethics based questions/scenarios. I see LOTS of conflicting pieces of advice ranging from "read these books/articles on ethics" to "you don't need to prep, just be a rationale human being."

Hi everyone! Looking for some NYU specific MMI advice. I know you all probably signed confidentiality agreements so you can't disclose much but I was wondering how in-depth someone should prepare for ethics based questions/scenarios. I see LOTS of conflicting pieces of advice ranging from "read these books/articles on ethics" to "you don't need to prep, just be a rationale human being."
I would lean toward not needing prep based off of my experience, but I would practice thinking through typical MMI scenarios. IMO it's low yield reading ethic books, they just want to use these to get to know you. I'm sure others have different opinions though, just my two cents

True. I just kinda wish the interviews were higher yield. Dean said hes gonna cap acceptances at 92 so only like 10% of interviewees gonna get in
That would only be until April or may though. They will undoubtedly have at least some of their acceptances turned down and have to pull more from the waitlist. The question is how many people they can keep with free tuition. I would imagine it's a strong majority.

From my experience you’re wasting your time. At least for NYU the MMI for me was more fun than stressful. I wouldn’t recommend learning ethics as it’ll likely be a total waste of your time. I would however practice using ethical scenarios for the thinking process you’re going to use. It wasn’t until I actually had my MMI that I realized what ppl meant when they say “you just need to be a rational human being”. But can now definitely say that’s more in line with what you’ll likely see.

Some absurd prep questions you see online are complete exaggerations and are completely unrepresentative of what they want you to do. Just critical thinking out loud.

Pertaining to next week: Anyone happen to know historically what time of day they usually do acceptance calls at so I don’t have to hopelessly stare at my phone all day next week?

So I sent in my secondary on the 25th of September and I just received a II!! After so many
people told me it would be a waste of time. So excited!

Reactions: 5 users
For anyone who has already interviewed here, did the admissions office say anything about letters of interest/intent?

Follow-up Q. Should a letter of intent/interest include an update?

Are they receptive towards both letters of intent and interest letters? My person only mentioned letters of intent..
If I recall correctly Dean Rivera mentioned both

If I recall correctly Dean Rivera mentioned both
+1, he mentioned both and something about sending updates soon IIRC bc they will be making decisions relatively quickly post II

92??? I thought it was 100