2018-2019 Oregon Health and Science University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FINALLY got an II! This is my THIRD TIME interviewing here... Here’s hoping I don’t freakin beef it thrice over.
WOOT!!! Get 'em!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
II today. IS, 517 w/ 3.7 GPA. Decent but not great ECs.

I've heard from a friend who interviewed that OHSU does not look at MCAT or GPA at all prior to offering an interview beyond the initial screen to receive a secondary.

I've heard from a friend who interviewed that OHSU does not look at MCAT or GPA at all prior to offering an interview beyond the initial screen to receive a secondary.
Woohoo!

Did you have to log into the portal to see or they sent an email?

Members don't see this ad :)

Can confirm. Everyone reviewing your app after your II has no access to stats, just your essays/experiences/MMI/one on one. Which is basically a double edged sword because if you get axed it wasn't because of your GPA/MCAT.

Can confirm. Everyone reviewing your app after your II has no access to stats, just your essays/experiences/MMI/one on one. Which is basically a double edged sword because if you get axed it wasn't because of your GPA/MCAT.
During my interview day, they mentioned the final decision was 50% one-on-one, 30% MMI, and 20% GPA/MCAT. But your interview is blind to stats.

Reactions: 1 user
During my interview day, they mentioned the final decision was 50% one-on-one, 30% MMI, and 20% GPA/MCAT. But your interview is blind to stats.

I think when they interviewed us they said it's essentially a score, and your score for your GPA/MCAT has already been assigned by the time you get to your interview. The dean said it's pretty low on their admissions decision. Maybe I misheard?

I think when they interviewed us they said it's essentially a score, and your score for your GPA/MCAT has already been assigned by the time you get to your interview. The dean said it's pretty low on their admissions decision. Maybe I misheard?
Yes, I think that's true, but it's still overall a part of the "total score" you get after the interview. So it's still a part of the equation, just not a lot of it and won't change or influence your interview (once you have an II). If that makes sense...

It's low on their priority list, but it plays a small part.

Any OOS applicants still not complete yet?

Reactions: 3 users
I'm on hold!!!! Thank god!! So glad I wasn't rejected- I feel so much better that I still have a shot.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if people are accepted off of hold before April?
After being put on hold, I went through the thread from last year. Looks like some people heard late March, although anecdotally I've heard of it happening sooner. Regardless, we're most likely going to have to wait until late April. -_-

After being put on hold, I went through the thread from last year. Looks like some people heard late March, although anecdotally I've heard of it happening sooner. Regardless, we're most likely going to have to wait until late April. -_-
Tbh I’ll take it. I never expected to be in the top 10% and I know most of their class is on hold before being admitted. I’m content but I’m sure I’ll be going crazy in like 2 weeks.

Me: *checking the portal 1 day after being put on hold*
"Decision: Hold"
Me:
9477234930_88614d3573.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Woah, does that mean everythings booked up until that point and there wont be many more II's going out?

Congrats though!
FWIW my two friends interviewed in late March/early April last year and got the II in late February. So there’s still a shot for sure.

Me, sadly. And I fit into a number of their mission-based groups, so my app wasn't a Hail Mary.

+1

(Also OOS with good mission match)

I have had everything in for almost 3 months so I am pretty seriously considering calling or emailing, just to make sure it’s not a system glitch. I know they wait to look at OOS until later in the cycle but I also don’t want to be looked over because of a tech error or something, as this is definitely one of my top choices. If I decide to reach out to them, I will post the result here.

FWIW my two friends interviewed in late March/early April last year and got the II in late February. So there’s still a shot for sure.
I think they had early April dates last year because of a few snow days that cancelled interview days in Jan or Feb.

Can someone who has already interviewed MD/PhD speak to the dress code for the registration/tour the first day and the dinner with current students?

Interviewed 10 weeks ago and haven't heard back yet. Based on the thread, I'm assuming there are quite a few people still in this position? Has anyone called admissions to see if their 4-6 week estimation was just off?

Interviewed 10 weeks ago and haven't heard back yet. Based on the thread, I'm assuming there are quite a few people still in this position? Has anyone called admissions to see if their 4-6 week estimation was just off?
OHSU consistently takes FOREVER. I interviewed in early November last year and didn’t hear anything until late January. The majority of candidates get put on hold post-interview as well. A few folks will get pulled from there early, but more than likely you won’t get a final decision until the end of April.

This Thursday is the 6 week mark from my interview and I have not heard anything yet.

Yeah, I don't get why they tell people 4-6 weeks, if they know full well it much longer for most.

I interviewed in mid-September and haven't heard anything yet. Even though I'd prefer to have some sort of "conclusive" answer, even if it's a hold, I figure they'll get to it when they get to it and am trying to treat the no response as a hold (doesn't mean I'm not obsessively checking the portal).

Would be nice if they just left out the timeframe, because we all know they take longer than that, but it is what it is...*sigh*

Any in-state applicants whose file was complete in August but haven't heard anything back yet like me? :(
seeing that available interview dates already stretch into March/April worries me...

Reactions: 2 users
Any in-state applicants whose file was complete in August but haven't heard anything back yet like me? :(
seeing that available interview dates already stretch into March/April worries me...

yep. I have several IS friends who haven't heard back yet - one of them is a super high-tier applicant as well. weird

Yup! Complete 8/29, IS. Reached out to an admissions member that helped me this summer with verifying my OR residency and she said,
"The issue is that some screeners (admissions committee members) may move more quickly than others. It’s completely feasible for some applicants to move through more quickly, simply because of who they ended up with as screeners. Our process is very human, and not so automated." She also highlighted the sentence on the portal that says "the review process may take many months" and said they "appreciate how hard it can be to wait." So, pre- or post-II, hang in there! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Yup! Complete 8/29, IS. Reached out to an admissions member that helped me this summer with verifying my OR residency and she said,
"The issue is that some screeners (admissions committee members) may move more quickly than others. It’s completely feasible for some applicants to move through more quickly, simply because of who they ended up with as screeners. Our process is very human, and not so automated." She also highlighted the sentence on the portal that says "the review process may take many months" and said they "appreciate how hard it can be to wait." So, pre- or post-II, hang in there! Good luck everyone!

Wow! Thank you so much for reaching out to them! :clap:

IS, non-trad, LM 77.8, MCAT 523, GPA 3.68 here

I submitted secondaries 10/06, so a little later in the queue. I'm expecting to wait a while, and I'm glad to be getting some perspective on how long the process is from these forum posts.

My question: what method of contact did they use for the interview invites? I heard a horror story from one of the doctors I scribe for, who said that he had an invitation mailed to the wrong street address and the admissions department called him to verify that he was declining the interview (!). So, am I expecting an email or a phone call?

thanks in advance
I got my II via email.

@paisan81 @meltin0223

I did end up emailing the admissions committee about the fact that my application still is not marked as complete, even though I submitted my secondary 3 months ago. I emphasized that I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some technical glitch that was keeping me from being reviewed. They were nice about it, and basically gave me the typical reassurance me that they would get to reviewing my application eventually. So I don't think we have anything to worry about... just have to continue playing the waiting game.

OHSU is on of my top choices, so I'm trying not to give up hope!

Reactions: 2 users
@paisan81 @meltin0223

I did end up emailing the admissions committee about the fact that my application still is not marked as complete, even though I submitted my secondary 3 months ago. I emphasized that I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some technical glitch that was keeping me from being reviewed. They were nice about it, and basically gave me the typical reassurance me that they would get to reviewing my application eventually. So I don't think we have anything to worry about... just have to continue playing the waiting game.

OHSU is on of my top choices, so I'm trying not to give up hope!
Are you IS?

Question for any current students who might be on here. What does the typical schedule over the course of the four years at OHSU look like? I'm having a weirdly hard time finding it. Would particularly like to know what the busiest and least busy time periods are thought to be-- it seems like the general wisdom regarding that doesn't necessarily apply here given the school's unique curriculum. Thanks in advance!

Has anyone who had interviewed here stayed with a student host? I’ve sent two emails requesting one but haven’t gotten a reply... my interview is coming up in about a month and I don’t know if I should I book a hotel room or not

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone who had interviewed here stayed with a student host? I’ve sent two emails requesting one but haven’t gotten a reply... my interview is coming up in about a month and I don’t know if I should I book a hotel room or not

I know another interviewee who stayed with a student host. If you end up needing to find another place though, I recommend looking at Airbnb. I found somewhere way cheaper and better located than hotels.

If you do end up booking somewhere, anything around OHSU is insane. Would highly recommend AirBNB a little outside of the area. I found a cute 1 bd master suite in the University of Portland area for 40 bucks which is about a ~20 min drive in including traffic.

Check your email to see if you got an email from the admissions liason.

Anyone complete in October (IS or mission-based) hear anything yet?

it seems like OHSU is doing things a little different this year, haven’t seen a ton of holds, rejections or pre-interview holds. I wonder how many interviews are given out after Xmas, I feel like there are a lot of IS applicants that haven’t heard yet