2018-2019 Stony Brook University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can any current student speak to what most first year students do living wise? On campus apartment complexes or renting off campus housing/complexes?

Hi, not a current student but have several friends at Stony Brook and have lived in the area for many years. Common areas for students to live outside of Stony Brook itself include East Setauket (probably the most expensive), Port Jefferson, Centereach (cheaper than the other two and still very close to campus with minimal traffic in most cases), Port Jefferson Station (also on the cheaper side but may have bad traffic going to the Stony Brook direction). Saint James or St. James may also be an option but I think it’s less common. There aren’t many cheaper apartment options around there (Port Jefferson may be the place to look for apartments or Saint James but they can be expensive), most are just houses that you share with others.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrew my acceptance - my heart is set elsewhere but sad about this wonderful place. Good luck to those waiting! Keep your spirits up!

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrawing my acceptance, good luck y'all hope it goes to someone here!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone planning on attending open house April 5th? Also a facebook group would be awesome! Really looking to start talking with future classmates about possible housing

ACCEPTED YESTERDAY!!!!!!! this is unreal! Interviewed 2/15. :soexcited:

Does anyone know if Stony offers merit-aid? Also, does anyone know about the timeline to receive financial aid offers?

Accepted about a week ago, interviewed early February. Will be withdrawing, hope one of you gets the spot!

Reactions: 2 users
Oh man. 4 + weeks since my interview... Anyone waiting to hear from their interview?

April 1st is coming up...when does Stony Brook release WL/ post-II rejections?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a post-II R, interviewed 2/1. Ouch.

Thought my interview went pretty well too and I have a good amount of connection to this school. This one stings.

Along with you guys, I was also waitlisted on Wednesday. Interviewed late Feb. IS
Good luck to all others on the waitlist! :) Stay hopeful

Can a current student speak to a typical day? Also, hows the camaraderie within the class and between classes?

Does anyone know if stony brook helps with matching or connecting incoming students for housing together?

Anyone still waiting post II? How are we feeling? Guaranteed WL or R?

I'm still waiting (MD/PhD) but we just got a mass email that said they plan on making more offers in the next week or so

• Love
Is anyone still waiting to get their financial aid package? this school is slower than a snail

omg ACCEPTED to the 3year MD program today
I guess I just matched?
omg

Reactions: 5 users
omg ACCEPTED to the 3year MD program today
I guess I just matched?
omg
Congratulations! Did the acceptance come as an email or a phone call? And can I ask which program you matched to? Super excited for you and hoping for similar good news

Congratulations! Did the acceptance come as an email or a phone call? And can I ask which program you matched to? Super excited for you and hoping for similar good news
I'll PM, but via email.

Don't schools generally hand out more A's than seats?

Generally but not always. SUNY Downstate filled the class and anyone who interviewed afterwards was either rejected or placed on an alternate list (as far as we Top Minds of SDN can tell).

Hi- I just wanted to post for future applicants that I was complete 9/14, got an II 2/19, inteviewed 3/12, and was accepted 4/8. So, you're not necessarily interviewing for a WL at the end of the cycle (they make this super clear in the interview there as well). My stats are: 516, 3.74 but I'm a non-trad (30+) with 7 papers. Also, I'll be withdrawing my A, in favor of Downstate so hopefully one of you guys get it!!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey friends! Would anyone who attended Second Look be open to sharing how their experience was and what happened during the day? I couldn't afford to fly out for it so I would love to hear how the day went!

Last edited:
Hey everyone, the entering class of 2019 facebook page can be found HERE

Hey friends! Would anyone who attended Second Look be open to sharing how their experience was and what happened during the day? I couldn't afford to fly out for it so I would love to hear how the day went!
Hello! The Second Look was sort of lackluster in my opinion, so it was a good thing you did not waste any money flying to be there. The majority of the day was spent sitting in a lecture hall, listening to program directors discuss dual degrees, 3-Yr Med, and the LEARN Curriculum. They did not show us around at all, so that was a bit disappointing. We had a single exercise where they showed us the Clinical Skills Center, which was pretty cool, but only lasted ~30 minutes.
In terms of the positives, there was a really good turnout. I was not expecting so many students. There seemed to be around 100-110 accepted applicants there. It was nice to see some of the students we may potentially be working with in the upcoming years. Also, the current students we had the opportunity to speak with all seemed very enthusiastic about their experiences at Stony Brook and sold the school very well. Despite the relatively boring day, I think they did a really good job at selling the better aspects of the school.

Hello! The Second Look was sort of lackluster in my opinion

Yeah, wasn't a ton going on, but I liked meeting current students and potential classmates. Seemed like most of us were already around the tri-state area, so we just took the day off of work. The current students seemed like they work hard, but really enjoy they environment there.

Hello! The Second Look was sort of lackluster in my opinion, so it was a good thing you did not waste any money flying to be there. The majority of the day was spent sitting in a lecture hall, listening to program directors discuss dual degrees, 3-Yr Med, and the LEARN Curriculum. They did not show us around at all, so that was a bit disappointing. We had a single exercise where they showed us the Clinical Skills Center, which was pretty cool, but only lasted ~30 minutes.
In terms of the positives, there was a really good turnout. I was not expecting so many students. There seemed to be around 100-110 accepted applicants there. It was nice to see some of the students we may potentially be working with in the upcoming years. Also, the current students we had the opportunity to speak with all seemed very enthusiastic about their experiences at Stony Brook and sold the school very well. Despite the relatively boring day, I think they did a really good job at selling the better aspects of the school.
Yeah, wasn't a ton going on, but I liked meeting current students and potential classmates. Seemed like most of us were already around the tri-state area, so we just took the day off of work. The current students seemed like they work hard, but really enjoy they environment there.
Thank y'all for sharing your experiences!

Waitlisted today. Hold acceptances from Buffalo and Upstate, but have very significant academic and personal ties to Stony Brook. Really can't make this stuff up. :shrug: