2018-2019 Stony Brook University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm still waiting post II. Anyone in this same position?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew my acceptance from Stony Brook earlier this week. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't been approved yet to join the FB page, but how active is the page? I wanna add my bio to look for roommates, but I hope I'm not too late to the game

I am releasing my spot at Stony Brook. Good luck everyone!

I also withdrew my acceptance, good luck to everyone!

Withdrawing my acceptance as well. Hope it goes to one of you

Hi! I’m planning to attend Stony Brook, but I’m not sure what I need to do to make that official. I looked at the SOLAR website but didn’t find anything. Do I need to “commit to enroll” online? Does anyone know the steps for this? Thanks!

Hi! I’m planning to attend Stony Brook, but I’m not sure what I need to do to make that official. I looked at the SOLAR website but didn’t find anything. Do I need to “commit to enroll” online? Does anyone know the steps for this? Thanks!

Only select commit to enroll if you are 100% certain that Stony Brook is the school you want to go to. If you're fully decided then go for it! If you are still deciding or are still on waitlists then choosing commit to enroll will remove you from them and lock you into SB. As far as making the acceptance official, when you received your acceptance email, they wanted an email sent to the admissions office accepting the offer along with the signed technical standards form. Next, you would submit the $100 deposit on SOLAR (under "For New Students" -> "Pay Initial Deposits/Fee") but just be aware that this is non-refundable and not required until after April 30th and before May 6th.

Withdrew my A, good luck everyone!!

Does Stony Brook give out any merit aid/scholarships at all? Or just the need based grants?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone's portal still say that their app is under review? I haven't heard anything since my interview on 3/5.

Does anyone know the breakdown for cost of attendance over the four years? Some schools charge different tuitions (often less) for years 3-4.

Anyone waitlisted who emailed the school to ask what their chances of coming off the waitlist are?

I interviewed in September and haven't heard anything. I'm 95% sure I'll be going to a different school, but I'm curious what my chances are here.

Anyone waitlisted who emailed the school to ask what their chances of coming off the waitlist are?

I interviewed in September and haven't heard anything. I'm 95% sure I'll be going to a different school, but I'm curious what my chances are here.

Just curious, is this a thing? Like is it ok to ask about chances of coming off the waitlist.

Just curious, is this a thing? Like is it ok to ask about chances of coming off the waitlist.

For the school I've been accepted to, I know several people on the waitlist who have done it and they received some feedback. But some schools may look down upon it...

Only select commit to enroll if you are 100% certain that Stony Brook is the school you want to go to. If you're fully decided then go for it! If you are still deciding or are still on waitlists then choosing commit to enroll will remove you from them and lock you into SB. As far as making the acceptance official, when you received your acceptance email, they wanted an email sent to the admissions office accepting the offer along with the signed technical standards form. Next, you would submit the $100 deposit on SOLAR (under "For New Students" -> "Pay Initial Deposits/Fee") but just be aware that this is non-refundable and not required until after April 30th and before May 6th.

Does this mean we can't expect waitlist movement until after May 6th?

• Sad
Has there been no wailtlist movement at Stony?

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Has there been no wailtlist movement at Stony?
I called recently and basically got an "idk." However, I recall someone on interview day saying that they accept roughly 40% from their waitlist. I don't know how different it'll be this year though.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone still waiting post-interview? Interviewed on 3/7 and haven't heard anything

Historically, I have seen waitlist movement happen the second week of May. But, some have still not heard back post-interview yet, so I'm not sure whats happening.

Anyone still waiting post-interview? Interviewed on 3/7 and haven't heard anything
I called last week and they said that they are still making decisions. I think it's weird that we haven't even heard one way or the other though.

Still no WL movement after 2 weeks? Sheesh...

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
I've only been following two treads, but is it me or has there been a lot less waitlist movement this year compared to past years?

I've only been following two treads, but is it me or has there been a lot less waitlist movement this year compared to past years?

It surely seems that way, especially with no SDN'ers reporting here that they have gotten off the waitlist at Stony.
Judging from the waitlist support thread, it seems the consensus (including from an ADCOM) is that waitlist movement will happen much more sparsely throughout the summer than the big wave in May. This is due to the new rules not being enforced by AAMC.

It surely seems that way, especially with no SDN'ers reporting here that they have gotten off the waitlist at Stony.
Judging from the waitlist support thread, it seems the consensus (including from an ADCOM) is that waitlist movement will happen much more sparsely throughout the summer than the big wave in May. This is due to the new rules not being enforced by AAMC.

I just checked some other threads and it does seem slow. Interesting about movement more spread out. I thought there would actually be a big wave due to the traffic rules?

Also, some threads are mentioning May 15th as the start of movement, is this just school-specific?

It feels like there will never be major movement off this waitlist :(

• Sad
Curious, have those who interviewed late in the cycle, received decisions?

Curious, have those who interviewed late in the cycle, received decisions?
I interviewed at 3/14. I was waitlisted. Someone else I know who interviewed on the same date was accepted

Can anyone who was accepted share the CTE deadline for stony?
From an email: "By no later than June 9 (3YMD students) or July 16 (traditional MD and MSTP students), you will be required to “Commit to Enroll” on the CYMS website."

I made an account just to update you guys that waitlist movement started! I got an email from them yesterday. Good luck everyone!!

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Hopefully lots of movement to come! And hopefully this post doesn't look ironically sad to thread viewers from next year.

Got the call this morning, accepted, interviewed 3/7 and was never waitlisted! Keep your hopes up!!! OOS, LM 70.

Reactions: 3 users
Just wanted to report I was accepted off the waitlist on 6/5 so keep up the hope those of you still waiting. Also can any other accepted student let me know the name of the FB page because I haven't been able to find it, or do I have to wait for an invite?

Will be declining my waitlist offer soon. Hope it goes to one of you very deserving people. Best of luck!

How has the waitlist movement been here? I read on MSAR about 60 kids come off it, but it hasn't seemed too prominent at least on the sdn page

Last edited:
How has the waitlist movement been here? I read on MSAR about 60 kids come off it, but it hasn't seemed too prominent at least on the sdn page

The SDN pages for SBU have never been very active, despite the school's pattern of considerable waitlist movement.