2018-2019 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewing in two weeks. Not sure whether to commute via train or car. I wonder how the parking is
Parking is pretty terrible and expensive. I would suggest taking MTA.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Parking is pretty terrible and expensive. I would suggest taking MTA.

Luckily it’s just the metro north and the 5 train for me. Probably cheaper than driving and parking anyways. Just didn’t want to have to chance walking through Brooklyn in a suite if it’s 90 and humid still.

Reactions: 1 user
Luckily it’s just the metro north and the 5 train for me. Probably cheaper than driving and parking anyways. Just didn’t want to have to chance walking through Brooklyn in a suite if it’s 90 and humid still.
Lol same for me

Members don't see this ad :)
whens your interview?

II this morning!

Being that this medical school is in the heart of NYC, I’m surprised our IIs didn’t get sent via mail embroidered on a fresh pair of Timberland boots.

Reactions: 4 users
I was complete 7/31, so hopefully this place can give me some love. 45 minute train ride away!

PM me if anyone here is interviewing the 19th and is taking the train into the city!

Members don't see this ad :)
3.7/515, tons of research, experience with the underserved!

Hi guys, I have an interview at SUNY upstate in early october. I'm from CA, so do you think it is warranted if I send NY schools like Albany and Downstate ITA emails?

Hi guys, I have an interview at SUNY upstate in early october. I'm from CA, so do you think it is warranted if I send NY schools like Albany and Downstate ITA emails?
Honestly, I don't think the geographic locations are close enough to be considered as ITA for these schools. Syracuse is like 2 hours from Albany and 4-5 hours from Downstate. I know it may seem like ITA for people who live out of state/on the west coast, but isk how receptive the schools will be given the distance. You can always try though! Good Luck!

I say go for the ITA email. Coming from CA is definitely far enough to warrant it. trans- continental flights are not cheap.

Ok lowkey I’m freaking out about my interview invite cause my stats are pretty low compared to everyone and I’m OOS so I feel its a mistake :/

Also, do medical students host interviewees?

Ok lowkey I’m freaking out about my interview invite cause my stats are pretty low compared to everyone and I’m OOS so I feel its a mistake :/

If you got an II anywhere it’s not a mistake. You must’ve done some pretty cool stuff. I don’t believe they have hosting that I’ve seen though.

Doesn't matter. If they're interviewing you then they see you as a strong all-around candidate. I had these exact same fears going into my undergrad thinking I wasn't good enough because my stats were comparatively low. Glad I proved myself wrong.

Congrats on the interview invite! I don't think you should worry about your stats if you got an interview invite! If you get an interview invite, they are not looking at your stats any more/your stats no longer define you, but they want to know you more as a person. For example, are you a pleasant person to be around with? Someone who is friendly and someone they are willing to work with as a college? How are you like under stress?

Was complete on 7/6 still haven't heard anything. In state

Reactions: 1 users
Guys if anybody needs a place for the interview, SUNY offers you to stay in the dorm, you just have to email them. I got a dorm available for me today.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the post-interview acceptance rate is for OOS?

For people who sent back the confirmation emails they requested for the II...has anyone received a receipt of confirmation of that email? Or do you just send it and move on?

For people who sent back the confirmation emails they requested for the II...has anyone received a receipt of confirmation of that email? Or do you just send it and move on?
They should send you back a confirmation email. If you don't get it in a day or two I would just follow-up.

I got the confirmation email the day after I sent the email.

I didnt hear back either. Did they respond to you yet?

Update: I called the admissions office and they said they're swamped with emails and still processing them, we should hear back soon!

Update: I called the admissions office and they said they're swamped with emails and still processing them, we should hear back soon!
Emails or apps? Are we supposed to Hear back about any questions asked or II?

II this morning! OOS and completed 8/13.
Honestly a little surprised since I'm OOS but still pretty excited!

Reactions: 2 users
Is it too late to put in a primary for this school if i pre-write secondaries and submit that right away?

Is it too late to put in a primary for this school if i pre-write secondaries and submit that right away?
I personally think it is always worth a try if you like the school, I know someone who applied a school in November and ended up in that school.