-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2018-2019 SUNY - Downstate
Started by gyngyn
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
anesthesio13
Full Member
Has anyone submitted an update? I can't find any information on their website about whether or not they accept them via email or if they don't want updates at all.
They accept them via email but you can also update your aacomas acc
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They accept them via email but you can also update your aacomas acc
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huh? AACOMAS? This isn't a D.O. school.
So they do accept updates? My application complete email says do not contact / send additional materials unless they ask for them.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone submitted an update? I can't find any information on their website about whether or not they accept them via email or if they don't want updates at all.
My application complete email says to not send additional materials unless the committee asks for them--going to take them at their word.
I know they do accept post-II updates
Has anyone submitted an update? I can't find any information on their website about whether or not they accept them via email or if they don't want updates at all.
Says in your complete email not to send updates unless asked
I sent an update to their email and they responded with a confirmation email:
"Thank you for your email and interest in SUNY Downstate College of Medicine. Your document was received and appended to your application for further review by the admissions committee. You will receive written notification if any additional information is needed."
"Thank you for your email and interest in SUNY Downstate College of Medicine. Your document was received and appended to your application for further review by the admissions committee. You will receive written notification if any additional information is needed."
Pre or Post II?I sent an update to their email and they responded with a confirmation email:
"Thank you for your email and interest in SUNY Downstate College of Medicine. Your document was received and appended to your application for further review by the admissions committee. You will receive written notification if any additional information is needed."
PrePre or Post II?
anesthesio13
Full Member
Huh? AACOMAS? This isn't a D.O. school.
So they do accept updates? My application complete email says do not contact / send additional materials unless they ask for them.
My bad. I recently got a new job as a medical scribe and had to update my schools both MD and DO . For this school i sent an email pre- II and they updated my file.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So I e-mailed to confirm attending the interview, and just now got a follow-up reminder e-mail to confirm my attendance... I sent another email immediately again, but confused why my first one never went through... could there be a delay? did this happen to anyone else?
So I e-mailed to confirm attending the interview, and just now got a follow-up reminder e-mail to confirm my attendance... I sent another email immediately again, but confused why my first one never went through... could there be a delay? did this happen to anyone else?
I also got a couple of those asking for the same thing. I'd just respond and keep confirming that you're going. I think they just don't want to be in an awkward position where someone doesn't show up!
Drakozord X
Full Member
Where / what completion date is downstate at in terms of app reviewing lol.
Does anyone know how often the adcom sits down to review applications?
I don’t know but tbh it doesn’t matter since they are really decisions until January or February lolDoes anyone know how often the adcom sits down to review applications?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MaelTheSun
Full Member
During my interview, I was told that there was delay causing the committee to release decisions later than previous years. But, I have to say I had a great time at the school and talking with the interviewer, peer interviewer, and other students. I think its a great place to got to become a physician.I don’t know but tbh it doesn’t matter since they are really decisions until January or February lol
Is Downstate receptive to update letters/letters of intent pre-II? This is my top choice school
Is Downstate receptive to update letters/letters of intent pre-II? This is my top choice school
As a rule I hear LOI is only a post-interview thing. They do receive update letters pre II though!
scienceiscool123
Full Member
Anyone else complete early August with radio silence?
+1, my theory is they don't like southerners (TN boy)Anyone else complete early August with radio silence?
scienceiscool123
Full Member
Haha IS over here+1, my theory is they don't like southerners (TN boy)
+1 ISAnyone else complete early August with radio silence?
sendtheMDmyway
Full Member
anyone get an email that said application update? Am not sure what this means
anyone get an email that said application update? Am not sure what this means
Is this pre-II ? Do you mind sharing what the email says? I didn't get one 🙁
sendtheMDmyway
Full Member
Is this pre-II ? Do you mind sharing what the email says? I didn't get one 🙁
I'm sure its nothing, it said:
Dear Applicant:
Thank you for applying to SUNY Downstate. We appreciate your interest in our College of Medicine and would like to update you on your application status.
Due to the large volume of applications this year, our initial review has taken longer than expected.
We understand that you may have already made other plans for medical school. If this is the case, please send an email by Monday, December 17, 2018 to [email protected] to withdraw your application from further consideration.
Again, thank you for applying to SUNY Downstate.
Sincerely,
SUNY Downstate Admissions Office
I tried checking the portal but its pretty much empty ever since I submitted my supplemental app. I don't have a high LM or ties to the school so I don't think its II, just a general status update?
I'm sure its nothing, it said:
Dear Applicant:
Thank you for applying to SUNY Downstate. We appreciate your interest in our College of Medicine and would like to update you on your application status.
Due to the large volume of applications this year, our initial review has taken longer than expected.
We understand that you may have already made other plans for medical school. If this is the case, please send an email by Monday, December 17, 2018 to [email protected] to withdraw your application from further consideration.
Again, thank you for applying to SUNY Downstate.
Sincerely,
SUNY Downstate Admissions Office
I tried checking the portal but its pretty much empty ever since I submitted my supplemental app. I don't have a high LM or ties to the school so I don't think its II, just a general status update?
.
Gotcha, I suppose it's nice that they're giving people a heads up. I'm worried that this will be Rochester 2.0 haha
I didn't get one either 😵 silence since Aug. Trying to be patient but its so hard!!Is this pre-II ? Do you mind sharing what the email says? I didn't get one 🙁
I didn't get one either 😵 silence since Aug. Trying to be patient but its so hard!!
We'll probably get one later on today or tomorrow
No offense but I think it's just the fact that so many people apply. If you look at it form their perspective, they receive tens if not hundreds of polite emails everyday. They probably don't have the time to reply in a timely fashion in the amount of detail that is expected. It's just the sheer volume of applicantsIs it me or does the administration at this school seem really callous. I sent two very polite emails to two different people on the admissions team at this school and got no replies. Its sad because I actually talked to on of them in person at a graduate school fair they had at my college.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,
I’m a current 4th year at downstate, and will gladly answer any questions y’all might have (though I’d likely echo the sentiments of other ms3s that have already posted on here). I’m currently on a research block and honestly have nothing to do anymore, so feel free to hit me up. I know how stressful the application season is.
I’m a current 4th year at downstate, and will gladly answer any questions y’all might have (though I’d likely echo the sentiments of other ms3s that have already posted on here). I’m currently on a research block and honestly have nothing to do anymore, so feel free to hit me up. I know how stressful the application season is.
scienceiscool123
Full Member
Complete early August, still in silence but also never received that “Update on your app status” email mentioned above ^^
Complete early August, still in silence but also never received that “Update on your app status” email mentioned above ^^
+1
what would someone reply to that email? is this an invitation fo an update letter?
sciencegladiator
Full Member
Thank you! Does this school favorable New York experiences? I have done 2 summer programs in New York and fell in love with the city and the people. Also, is it a good idea to send them an update letter?Hello all,
I’m a current 4th year at downstate, and will gladly answer any questions y’all might have (though I’d likely echo the sentiments of other ms3s that have already posted on here). I’m currently on a research block and honestly have nothing to do anymore, so feel free to hit me up. I know how stressful the application season is.
Hello all,
I’m a current 4th year at downstate, and will gladly answer any questions y’all might have (though I’d likely echo the sentiments of other ms3s that have already posted on here). I’m currently on a research block and honestly have nothing to do anymore, so feel free to hit me up. I know how stressful the application season is.
One of the things that I really appreciated at my interview was one of the MS2's saying "our lack of funding is really for your advantage". i.e., since there aren't 20 residents and 8 fellows per attending, you're given more autonomy and you're actually able to get more hands on experience than other non-public institutions. Do you agree with this sentiment, as well? Have you done any sub-I's or things similar to that and see how you fare compared to other MS4s who may not have been given as much hands on experience?
One of the things that I really appreciated at my interview was one of the MS2's saying "our lack of funding is really for your advantage". i.e., since there aren't 20 residents and 8 fellows per attending, you're given more autonomy and you're actually able to get more hands on experience than other non-public institutions. Do you agree with this sentiment, as well? Have you done any sub-I's or things similar to that and see how you fare compared to other MS4s who may not have been given as much hands on experience?
I feel like that’s a fair reason for our autonomy. Plus the patients here have pretty low health literacy and access to healthcare and truly are thankful for our help and treat us like their doctors. I’ve been to multiple different programs and worked with med students from other schools and can say with confidence that clinically we are often the stronger students. Attendings I’ve worked with at other hospitals throughout the city say all the time that downstate kids are the most efficient and well-prepared students clinically that they have met. And in residency interviews I have had 4 seperatw pd’s throughout nyc say “we LOVE downstate students here. Y’all are always our best interns.” I didn’t realize how well-respected our school is until I started venturing to different city/long island hospitals. It’s actually really cool.
Thank you! Does this school favorable New York experiences? I have done 2 summer programs in New York and fell in love with the city and the people. Also, is it a good idea to send them an update letter?
I’m sure having a connection to New York is important, as it is a question on the application. That said there are plenty in my class from Cali who aren’t connected to New York so it’s unclear how important it is. I have always been an advocate of sending out updates if you think it is important/helps your case for an II/acceptance. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.
cafedisco
Full Member
In the "application complete" email they send us, it says not to send in anything--at least not pre-II...but would you say updates are actually encouraged?I’m sure having a connection to New York is important, as it is a question on the application. That said there are plenty in my class from Cali who aren’t connected to New York so it’s unclear how important it is. I have always been an advocate of sending out updates if you think it is important/helps your case for an II/acceptance. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.
Would love to know the answer to this as well!!In the "application complete" email they send us, it says not to send in anything--at least not pre-II...but would you say updates are actually encouraged?
Would love to know the answer to this as well!!
They accept post-II updates. That's it as far as I've seen.In the "application complete" email they send us, it says not to send in anything--at least not pre-II...but would you say updates are actually encouraged?
From the secondary complete email: "You will be notified of any further action on your application, or if the Admissions Committee would like to receive additional documentation."
Pnomnomnom
Full Member
Interview invite this morning!!!
So hype.
So hype.
did you get the "are you still interested" email from admissions earlier this month?Interview invite this morning!!!
So hype.
sciencegladiator
Full Member
when were you complete?Interview invite this morning!!!
So hype.
Pnomnomnom
Full Member
I did not get are you still interested email this was the first time I've heard from them since I sent in my secondary.did you get the "are you still interested" email from admissions earlier this month?
when were you complete?
I was complete on 9/13.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One of my biggest pet peeves about the MTA in NYC is that there aren't enough trains that connect Queens and Brooklyn. There are buses but imo trains are the way to go. There aren't good connections to LGA though. You'll have to take a bus to catch either the E,F, or 7 to go into the city at 42nd and then catch a train (probably the 5) from there to downstate. Won't be fun making those transfers and you're looking at a long commute but its possible.Hi all, super excited for my interview but never been to NYC. What is the best way to get from LGA to the med school? Ubers are a lot more than I'd like to spend. Is it easy to get a metro card and are there any good good bus routes?
EDIT: Also, yes metro cards are easy to get. Usually any station has a kiosk that sells them. It's $1.00 for a new card plus $2.75 to ride the train/bus (includes transfers - as long as you don't have to exit the station)
Congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats and IS or OOS? I’m really stoked to attend here.I did not get are you still interested email this was the first time I've heard from them since I sent in my secondary.
I was complete on 9/13.
health4thefuturegen
Full Member
II this morning as well! Excited!
Take the M60-SBS from LGA and get off at 125th St/ Lexington Ave bus stop. Transfer to the downtown 5 train to Brooklyn and get off at Winthrop St. It should take you less than 10mins to walk to Downstate. Good luck!Hi all, super excited for my interview but never been to NYC. What is the best way to get from LGA to the med school? Ubers are a lot more than I'd like to spend. Is it easy to get a metro card and are there any good good bus routes?
Pnomnomnom
Full Member
Congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats and IS or OOS? I’m really stoked to attend here.
IS. LizzyM 69-70.
Its my top choice just because I kind of don't want to leave the city