2018-2019 Texas Tech University - El Paso

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! Would you mind sharing what dates were offered?

Thanks! I only looked at the month of October, and they only had October 25th available. But I didn't look into November, so I can't shed much light on that. Sorry!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone clarify if Paul Foster requires Casper? I've seen mixed reviews, mostly indicating that it doesn't, but a few places say it does.

Yeah I applied to TCOM. I got my doc (tcom 2012 grad) to do my DO letter there. I didn't have any help on the advising front since I just did prereqs at Dallas County. I got straight A's though! I really underestimated the need for early submission it seems which an advisor would have corrected.

And no on the URM. 40 year old white dude with the last name "Smith". Bout as generic as you can get on that front. I have a GED and grew up poor as dirt, but I don't expect that matters this far in the past.

I will keep my fingers crossed I guess. Not getting in this year would be a major blow. I would consider it a privilege to get in anywhere. I do think my academic/test performance should get me some interviews like you said. I am just trying to set my expectations on when I should start hearing about interviews or rejections.

Man your app regardless of age sounds solid, when did you have everything officially turned in by?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone clarify if Paul Foster requires Casper? I've seen mixed reviews, mostly indicating that it doesn't, but a few places say it does.
I searched this question in June and Texas Tech Lubbock asked for CASPer but Paul Foster did not.
The 4 Texas schools asking for it are Texas A&M, Texas Tech Lubbock, UTMB, and Long SOM.

If you have taken it for one of these other schools, you don't have to take it again, just log in and add a school.

All I can see in that regard is from MyUNT - what TCOM got from TMDSAS. I would assume every other school shows similar dates.

Submitted on TMDSAS on 8/15. It was transmitted to schools on 8/30. Secondary was done 8/24. MCAT delivered 9/20. Last eval letter got there 9/25.

I had a snafu with my eval letters. Had to swap a required for an optional when the first letter writer flaked. I heard no one waits on all the eval letters for II's to go out though so I don't think this is a killer.
Man your app regardless of age sounds solid, when did you have everything officially turned in by?

Are you seeing the same from other schools (randomness)? I assume you applied all over the state like I did.

I got a 514 MCAT and have a 3.59/3.62 GPA (thank you no-grade-replacement-policy). I think I am at least competitive as a non trad (MBA, own business, blah blah). I am still without a single II.

Should I chill or panic? Because panicking will do so much good.

It’s like you said, you’re at a disadvantage compared to others who were complete back in May and June. Don’t give up hope yet. The common consensus among the forums is to not panic until thanksgiving or so. You got plenty of time left.

All I can see in that regard is from MyUNT - what TCOM got from TMDSAS. I would assume every other school shows similar dates.

Submitted on TMDSAS on 8/15. It was transmitted to schools on 8/30. Secondary was done 8/24. MCAT delivered 9/20. Last eval letter got there 9/25.

I had a snafu with my eval letters. Had to swap a required for an optional when the first letter writer flaked. I heard no one waits on all the eval letters for II's to go out though so I don't think this is a killer.

Dude your application has been officially “complete” for like 2 weeks . Why are you even freaking out? With a 514 I can say confidently that you should get AT LEAST 1-2 interviews, don’t even sweat it right now. You are still totally good.

I searched this question in June and Texas Tech Lubbock asked for CASPer but Paul Foster did not.
The 4 Texas schools asking for it are Texas A&M, Texas Tech Lubbock, UTMB, and Long SOM.

If you have taken it for one of these other schools, you don't have to take it again, just log in and add a school.

Great! Thanks so much!

Has anyone else gotten a letter from Paul Foster thanking them for interviewing? Got one in the mail today and was wondering if they send them out to everyone or if it means something

Has anyone else gotten a letter from Paul Foster thanking them for interviewing? Got one in the mail today and was wondering if they send them out to everyone or if it means something

Everyone gets one!

anyone interviewing at Paul Foster in November?

Members don't see this ad :)
same :( submitted early june; lizzy 68; i think im getting passed up :(

Same :( , submitted secondaries on July 11th, nothing but crickets. Submitted last year even later than this year and received an interview, but no luck this year (even after rewriting and improving everything) feels like they moved on :(.

Reactions: 1 users
What with the eRaider email? No II but an email telling me to make an eRaider account? Accompanied by a meningitis email lol.

II by email! LizzyM 66.7, complete 2nd week of August, URM, IS

Dates offered are 11/8 and 11/15

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
II about 30 minutes ago. Secondary submitted 7/27; TMDSAS transmitted 6/28; all LOR in 7/26
LM 72-73, IS,ORM
Dates offered 10/25 and 11/1

Same :( , submitted secondaries on July 11th, nothing but crickets. Submitted last year even later than this year and received an interview, but no luck this year (even after rewriting and improving everything) feels like they moved on :(.
don't think that. I got an invite from UTMB on 7/31 and then had dead silence until 9/26...trust the process and your own abilities. Interviews do run until middle of January, and a lot of things about this process don't make sense.

Reactions: 2 users
so just in case anyone is wondering about how to get from DFW to El Paso for 10/25 interview: I'm actually driving from Plano. Haven't had to fly to previous three interviews and so I have the process of packing up down to a science.
TLDR: I fly very frequently already, so I'm tryna avoid it for interviews. If you interview same date + wanna save $$$ + come from DFW area + willing to contribute to gas, DM me :)

Got an acceptance email about an hour ago! Interviewed Aug 23rd

Reactions: 8 users
II from El Paso, complete August 27th!

II received today. Submitted secondary last week so a pretty quick turnaround.

Can anyone explain this part of the admissions process? I'm not from Texas, so I'm not familiar with the match process, and it seems even more complicated because there's rolling admissions and the match... And, people are already being offered admission, but it's not November 15th yet?

"Following each interview session, the Admissions Committee will review the credentials and interview evaluations for each of the candidates and will make decisions for or against admission. The decisions of the Admissions Committee are final. Based upon these decisions, a list of acceptable candidates will be prepared ranking those judged to be best qualified for the study and practice of medicine. Following TMDSAS guidelines, we will make offers to exceptional candidates between November 15 and December 31. All other candidates will be offered positions through the TMDSAS matching process. All candidates, whether holding an offer or not, must submit preferences to the TMDSAS match by January 18. Match results are announced on February 1. A rolling admissions process will then be used to fill remaining positions."

Thoughts?

Can anyone explain this part of the admissions process? I'm not from Texas, so I'm not familiar with the match process, and it seems even more complicated because there's rolling admissions and the match... And, people are already being offered admission, but it's not November 15th yet?

"Following each interview session, the Admissions Committee will review the credentials and interview evaluations for each of the candidates and will make decisions for or against admission. The decisions of the Admissions Committee are final. Based upon these decisions, a list of acceptable candidates will be prepared ranking those judged to be best qualified for the study and practice of medicine. Following TMDSAS guidelines, we will make offers to exceptional candidates between November 15 and December 31. All other candidates will be offered positions through the TMDSAS matching process. All candidates, whether holding an offer or not, must submit preferences to the TMDSAS match by January 18. Match results are announced on February 1. A rolling admissions process will then be used to fill remaining positions."

Thoughts?

+1

Thoughts?
If you are not from Texas, you don't go through the "match day ranking stuff" on Feb 1.
You will just get offers on a rolling basis.
You may hold on to all offers while you make up your mind, until April 30, when you must choose one and give your regrets to any others.

No Texans can get Texas offers until Nov 15th UNLESS they have applied to dual degree programs like MD/PhD, MD/MBA, MD/MPH. These dual degree programs are also outside the match process, and offers can start Oct 15th.

There have been a few people getting offers today from Texas schools : they are all either OOS or Dual-degree or both.

Reactions: 3 users
Wow the first few of pages in this thread are a rollercoaster :laugh:

Can anyone shed some light on the chances of getting a late interview from Texas schools ? Is thanksgiving still the end of days if we havent gotten an interview?

Thoughts?

Check out the video under " The TMDSAS Match" heading. It'll provide what Wysdoc said in a more visual context. Again, it would only apply if you're IS.
TMDSAS Video Library

If you are not from Texas, you don't go through the "match day ranking stuff" on Feb 1.
You will just get offers on a rolling basis.
You may hold on to all offers while you make up your mind, until April 30, when you must choose one and give your regrets to any others.

No Texans can get Texas offers until Nov 15th UNLESS they have applied to dual degree programs like MD/PhD, MD/MBA, MD/MPH. These dual degree programs are also outside the match process, and offers can start Oct 15th.

There have been a few people getting offers today from Texas schools : they are all either OOS or Dual-degree or both.

Thank you!! This absolutely clears up all of my confusion surrounding the admission process.

Can anyone shed some light on the chances of getting a late interview from Texas schools ? Is thanksgiving still the end of days if we havent gotten an interview?

MS1 here, I received my interview late October/early November and interviewed in December. I was one of the ones who matched on Feb 1st. Don't lose hope.

Reactions: 5 users
MS1 here, I received my interview late October/early November and interviewed in December. I was one of the ones who matched on Feb 1st. Don't lose hope.

When did you have your app in (secondary as well) if you don’t mind me asking ?

Did anyone thats already interviewed get that letter saying "We're pleased you recently visited our campus..."? What's that about?!?

II just right now. Only Nov 15th and 29th showed up.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know what address to use when sending thank you notes to interviewers? And do you write "Attn: Interviewer's Name" or "c/o ..."? Thanks!

Does anyone know what address to use when sending thank you notes to interviewers? And do you write "Attn: Interviewer's Name" or "c/o ..."? Thanks!

Based solely on what I have seen others doing throughout Texas, you can attention the letter in any common, professional manner, however make sure to include the full name and department (which can be easily found if you don't already know). Any mail related to the admissions process should go through the Office of Admissions (see address at the bottom of the their webpage) if you were not told otherwise.

From personal experience at various schools, do not be afraid to send a thank you via e-mail. This may also more likely yield a response from the interviewer, which provides some closure. If for some reason you cannot locate their e-mail, just politely send it through Admissions or whoever coordinated your interview. Just like with a letter, this is not required and, as far as I know, has nothing to do with the admissions process. It is just a nice thing to do.

Based solely on what I have seen others doing throughout Texas, you can attention the letter in any common, professional manner, however make sure to include the full name and department (which can be easily found if you don't already know). Any mail related to the admissions process should go through the Office of Admissions (see address at the bottom of the their webpage) if you were not told otherwise.

From personal experience at various schools, do not be afraid to send a thank you via e-mail. This may also more likely yield a response from the interviewer, which provides some closure. If for some reason you cannot locate their e-mail, just politely send it through Admissions or whoever coordinated your interview. Just like with a letter, this is not required and, as far as I know, has nothing to do with the admissions process. It is just a nice thing to do.

Thanks so much for the helpful insight! I'll keep email in mind for the future :)

does a Nov 1 Interview give me any shot at a prematch here?