2018-2019 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Could anyone who's interviewed here lmk how the interview day is:
- general vibe: chill? or not?
- MMI: how many stations, time?
- 1v1 interviews: conversational or getting grilled?
My interview is tomorrow and i'm trying to do some last minute prep. Appreciate all the help

Because we signed the confidentiality agreement, so we can't say anything about MMI. But my suggestion is: be yourself, be ethical, and be willing to open your mind and yourself to listen to others. I believe these are important characteristics a good physician should have. Know your limits, and ask for help when necessary. Don't worry, you will have enough time. Overall, the MMI is so much fun - we all agreed with among the interviewees that day. Regarding the 1-on-1 interview, it is highly conversational. The faculty members were very supportive. I have been to countless interviews, and gave interviews to other interviewees before, these are among the most supportive interviews I ever experienced. But please note, different people may have different interviewers. So I can only speak for myself. DGSOM are super chill, you should not be surprised as they are located in SoCal (this is even reflected in their designs of MMI - totally ZERO stress). I really appreciate that the culture there is highly supportive and cohesive - by interacting with the students, I can feel that there is a strong sense of community. This is exactly what I am looking for.

Anyway, GOOD LUCK!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
What if we offer the acceptance right now?

"If I'm blessed to be granted an acceptance, I will withdraw all my other applications and attend this school with absolutely no hesitance". Yes, I said exactly that in my interview.

JK, no one ever asked me that question :(

Reactions: 1 users
You might be right, but I just figured I'd rather be safe than sorry and not discuss any specifics!

Also, I want to echo how happy the students were - and in my experience, all of the faculty I met, too. I would be thrilled to get the chance to go to school here.

I want to echo how happy we are (or at least I am). Maybe it's because my undergrad was very intense, but I am honestly having overall such a great time here; I have time to take care of my mental and physical health, friends and classmates are all wonderful, coursework is manageable, and (most) classes are well taught. Whenever I see friends from high school and undergrad, they're like "wow you are THRIVING here!" and I think this is a pretty common sentiment among classmates. I guess you kind of self select for wonderful, caring people when you select for a med school class, but everyone is looking out for everyone always, whether that's academically with sharing study materials or emotionally through hugs, food, and heart to hearts. The California weather doesn't hurt either haha

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how long they give for Step 1 prep?

According to the calendar on the DGSOM website, (and from what my student tour guide said on the interview), about 7 weeks. This year:
USMLE Study and Exam................................................................................. March 19 – May 4, 2018

Reactions: 1 user
According to the calendar on the DGSOM website, (and from what my student tour guide said on the interview), about 7 weeks. This year:
USMLE Study and Exam................................................................................. March 19 – May 4, 2018
Thank you!

I interviewed within the past week, and the dean said the first batch of acceptances would likely be released next week!
Man, I cannot wait to hear back from them! By next week, do you know if they meant beginning of November or just this week in general?

Man, I cannot wait to hear back from them! By next week, do you know if they meant beginning of November or just this week in general?

I also interviewed here last week and the dean said the turn-around is around 4-6 weeks so...

Hmm....I was one of the first groups, if not the first group, that got interviewed and still no news. I guess I have to be more patient lol... I hope they told us when they would start sending acceptances at least ;;

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if any more II's will be going out? Or are all dates filled?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am pretty sure they are more II's. My friend got one recently.

Reactions: 3 users
I was double checking all of my secondary portals for application submission confirmation and I realized all I got from UCLA was secondary submission confirmation. Was I supposed to get a separate “application complete” email?

I was double checking all of my secondary portals for application submission confirmation and I realized all I got from UCLA was secondary submission confirmation. Was I supposed to get a separate “application complete” email?
The "acknowledgment of supplemental submittal" was the last email I got before the interview invite. I think you can look on the portal and see that your application is complete but they dont send an email about it.

I am pretty sure they are more II's. My friend got one recently.
I was talking to him last Monday, and he said that he got his few days back, So maybe around two weeks ago!? And I have no idea what were the dates that he could schedule them on.

The "acknowledgment of supplemental submittal" was the last email I got before the interview invite. I think you can look on the portal and see that your application is complete but they dont send an email about it.
Thanks!

It seems like he was saying this week in general! Although based on previous posts they're already ~2 weeks behind for releasing first decisions, so I guess there's a small chance they'll get delayed again? Good luck to you!

Again, please give them a bit more time. It is not just about admission. They are doing more than that. =) So, be patient, and chill.

"After the interview, your file goes to four different sub-committees, then it comes to us, the admission committee, once we make a decision, your file goes to the scholarship committee, they meet virtually. Each applicant ends up with eight scores at the end, which will then be averaged into a list, and we will use that list to send out acceptances. We don't have a waitlist until April 30th, which the ranked list will then become the ranked wait-list". - Dean Hall during my interview

This means that your file needs first to be holistically reviewed and scored by 4 different committees post interview.
Then it goes to the admission committee
Then it goes to the scholarship committee if accepted.
Then they send out the email/ make the call.
Though idk the policy on rejection notification.

Patience Patience Patience

Reactions: 6 users
Same, although it does make me worry how applying PRIME affects our chances at regular MD. I applied PRIME because I love the program, but I don't think my app is well suited too it, so my odds are low. I would hate to think anyone passed by PRIME will miss out on a chance at regular MD just because their app gets passed so late
same

Wow... I submitted my secondary last week. So I'm basically out of the running for regular MD?
No. You are still in the running. Once again maybe I'm an optimist but I dont know why they would even give a submisson deadline if they were going to opt out of reading or considering applications submitted before it. I refuse to believe that's how anything works.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

No. You are still in the running. Once again maybe I'm an optimist but I dont know why they would even give a submisson deadline if they were going to opt out of reading or considering applications submitted before it. I refuse to believe that's how anything works.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

I agree. I think they will consider all applications that come in by the deadline. And they'll do interviews until they fill the class, so I wouldn't lose hope.

I agree. I think they will consider all applications that come in by the deadline. And they'll do interviews until they fill the class, so I wouldn't lose hope.
I disagree. On their website it explicitly says that due to the very high number of applicants (last year they had 10,000+) not all applications will be guaranteed to be reviewed

I disagree. On their website it explicitly says that due to the very high number of applicants (last year they had 10,000+) not all applications will be guaranteed to be reviewed
I stand corrected!

I did not see this on the website but I can confirm that this is the case (the majority...MAJORITY) of primary applications are NOT being looked at. Literally thrown out using crazy UCLA specific screening. My only regret is applying. Absolute waste of money

This is only wrt primaries correct? I don’t see anywhere on their website where they indicate they can’t guarantee to fully review all secondaries

The neuroticism is strong here
I keep having dreams about getting the decision notification, only to wake up to the agony of not knowing still. UCLA is my dream school, though, so maybe it's appropriate that it appears in my dreams!

I keep having dreams about getting the decision notification, only to wake up to the agony of not knowing still. UCLA is my dream school, though, so maybe it's appropriate that it appears in my dreams!
You are not alone. I think everyone is on pins and needles awaiting a decision.

Same here, but I just assume the worst so I can be surprised the most

Are we certain that no acceptances have been released yet? Maybe acceptances are already rolling out but those who were accepted just didn’t post on SDN?

Are we certain that no acceptances have been released yet? Maybe acceptances are already rolling out but those who were accepted just didn’t post on SDN?
I'm not certain of this at all. Does UCLA send out hold notices or still under consideration?

anyone know how important updates/letters of interest are to the DGSOM adcom??

I know they said they accept them at my interview, but I know different schools have different views on the weight that they actually put on them... some of the schools I have interviewed at said they really encourage them, but others say it doesn't matter much. Wasn't able to get a feel for how DGSOM views them.

This is how neurotic I'm getting...I just read through a LARGE portion of the SDN thread for UCLA 2017-2018. One item a couple people mentioned was the "count" of people who had joined the DGSOM Class of 2022 group on Facebook as maybe an indication of # of acceptances at any given point. Anyway, I searched FB for a DGSOM Class of 2023, and no such group yet exists. That doesn't confirm that UCLA hasn't sent out any acceptances yet, but it makes me feel slightly better... Yeah. Neurotic. I should get some actual work done before my boss fires me 8 months before I want to leave...

Reactions: 16 users

For those who interviewed at the end of October, when did the dean say you would hear back?

I interviewed this week and Dean Hall made it seem like the first batch of acceptances haven't gone out yet and that y'all will be notified soon (like tomorrow or next week). As far as when my group will be hearing back - if we are accepted we may hear back as soon as early December. If we are waitlisted or rejected we will be notified later and not right away. Because of the holidays acceptances may be delayed for our group to early Jan as well possibly.

Reactions: 9 users
I have a hypothesis that once you get the secondary, they will most likely read over and consider the application. This is because last year Dr. Hall told me that they send the secondaries out in batches. Through my pointless critical analysis and reasoning skills I can infer they do this because they need to consider every secondary as you paid.

I also have another hypothesis. That being, by the end of this year, I will be interning at JP Morgan because to be honest **** this!

Reactions: 5 users
so it could be this week for us september interviewees??? anyone else freaking out??!?!

Reactions: 2 users
Did they specify a particular day they'd release the decisions for us September interviewees, or was it just "sometime this week"?

For people who already had interviews — how’d it go? Was it high-stress? Any tips for the MMI?

Msar says earliest date for releasing decisions is January 15th...

They changed it this year to be rolling admissions. Theoretically, they were supposed to release their earliest decisions on Oct 15th, but it doesn't seem like they have released any yet.

For people who already had interviews — how’d it go? Was it high-stress? Any tips for the MMI?
It was my first interview, so I might be a bit biased, but I thought it had both stressful and chill aspects. The faculty interviews were great and I enjoyed my time having a conversation with both my interviewers. The MMI's were a mixed bag of stress and relatively chill moments. I was not a fan of them personally (dunno if I can go in more detail because of NDA), but maybe my performance wasn't as hot as it could have been. Honestly, the best thing you can do at an MMI is be yourself and show off your personality in the different situations. If you're an empathetic person, that should show, and if you can handle pressure, it should be obvious to your interviewers. Know how to talk about your experiences in your activities sections, but that's a general rule for interviews. Again, idr the degree of restriction of the NDA, so I can't go into too much detail just in case.

The rest of the day was great though. They showed us around campus like any interview, but I was especially impressed by the campus resources and the level of student engagement and composure. Most didn't seem to be overly stressed and they noted how the LA environment makes it easy to relax in between exams and classes.

As Tobin said, they are doing a rolling admissions this year. Also don't trust MSAR on the acceptance release dates. It is wrong on many schools.