2018-2019 University of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone else in silence? no hold, no R, no II? complete in july

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone that has interviewed... Do you spend much time outside during the campus tour? I am contemplating bringing a winter coat, not sure if I will need one, or if there will be any place to hang it. Any input would be greatly appreciated

Reactions: 1 user
Bring a coat for sure, you have outside for your interview (most likely) and for the tour.

Hey all, might be a little too late, but I am a current 2nd year here at Maryland so if there is any questions or concerns shoot them my way and I will try my best to calm the nerves. I know how stressful this whole process can be! Good luck to you all.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all, might be a little too late, but I am a current 2nd year here at Maryland so if there is any questions or concerns shoot them my way and I will try my best to calm the nerves. I know how stressful this whole process can be! Good luck to you all.
In your eyes, what is the general culture like here? I got the impression during my interview day that the school was very impressive and would get me where I wanted career wise, but it seemed to be a more stressful medical school and atmosphere than most others I've seen. It seems like the administration and faculty want to really push the students to do well but I didn't get the impression that life outside of school and student wellness were prioritized.

How is the social life in Baltimore and UMD? Do the students interact and go out together outside of the classroom or is it a more competitive environment where everyone keeps to themselves? I didn't get much of a chance to explore Baltimore but how is it for someone who is looking to meet people, date, and go out at night?

Basically, I know that UMD is amazing academically but I have some reservations about life outside of medical school. If you (or any other medical students lurking) comment on the social life at UMD and the city of Baltimore, I would greatly appreciate it!

I apologize if this was mentioned elsewhere, but I just checked my portal and under status it says "Interview - Under Review (with a little blue lock)". I don't check it super regularly, but I don't remember seeing this before. Can anyone clarify this?

I apologize if this was mentioned elsewhere, but I just checked my portal and under status it says "Interview - Under Review (with a little blue lock)". I don't check it super regularly, but I don't remember seeing this before. Can anyone clarify this?
Happened to me this morning too. Been complete since late Aug and not on hold.

In your eyes, what is the general culture like here? I got the impression during my interview day that the school was very impressive and would get me where I wanted career wise, but it seemed to be a more stressful medical school and atmosphere than most others I've seen. It seems like the administration and faculty want to really push the students to do well but I didn't get the impression that life outside of school and student wellness were prioritized.

How is the social life in Baltimore and UMD? Do the students interact and go out together outside of the classroom or is it a more competitive environment where everyone keeps to themselves? I didn't get much of a chance to explore Baltimore but how is it for someone who is looking to meet people, date, and go out at night?

Basically, I know that UMD is amazing academically but I have some reservations about life outside of medical school. If you (or any other medical students lurking) comment on the social life at UMD and the city of Baltimore, I would greatly appreciate it!

Definitely a decent amount of activities around the city both within walking or driving distance. Both a night life and more relaxed settings that don't include alcohol or spending too much money. But overall there are definitely better cities both safer and prettier. As for the class I think it depends on the year but overall the environment of the school fosters a pretty friendly class. I'd say that I could hold a conversation with almost anyone in my class and I've met some people that I foresee myself being friends with well after medical school. But in any scenario you're obviously going to be closer to some people than others. But it is definitely not competitive everyone is always sharing notes and resources whenever they can and bonding over our struggles. As for the curriculum I know they are in the process of revamping everything because it's so outdated so I'm not sure if it'll be the same for you guys. I think they were aiming for class of 2020 but might get it done earlier. I'm not huge fan of the current curriculum but Marryland is apparently amazing at churning out residents. My overall opinion of Maryland is if you have a cheaper option that is relatively on par with Maryland I'd take it (Maryland 60k+ OOS definitely not worth imo), if I could go back I'd choose NYU but that's hindsight cause of the free tuition. It might be because I've been in Maryland forever now. I do think the curriculum change will be good, and the school is working on getting better and student wellness. There have been huge improvements since first year.

Last edited:
Happened to me this morning too. Been complete since late Aug and not on hold.
I got an email a month or so ago saying I was on hold and my portal says the "interview-under review" with a lock as well. Maybe it is a silent hold for you guys if you didn't get the email?

Withdrew from my interview this morning. Hope it goes to one of you guys!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am OOS have an interview scheduled for March! I just got accepted into SKMC at Jefferson and really loved that school. Debating whether I should go to this interview - I know that UMD is slightly higher ranked, but not sure how much of a big factor that is. How is the curriculum/grading here? Pass/fail or graded? Are students ranked? How is the overall stress level? Do you feel like you have enough time in a day to study and also have a good balance outside of medical school? Thank you!

Any current UMB medical student that can shed some light on how hard/easy it is to get instate tuition after being OOS for the first year?

II yesterday! Complete in September. Dates given ranged from mid-Feb to mid-March.

II this morning! A couple dates in Feb, some in March too I think. Sent an ITA 01/07, complete mid October.
Would love to hear how were people's experiences!

Has anyone gotten off pre-II hold yet?

Reactions: 6 users
So uhh... do students usually make the FB group or...?
Kind of excited to meet my potential classmates..

does anyone know if UMD gives any kind of merit aid?

On my interview day the financial aid person said "we don't really do financial aid here, but admissions has lots of money"

Take it as you will.

I apologize if this question has already been answered, but does UMD accept pre-II updates?

I apologize if this question has already been answered, but does UMD accept pre-II updates?
Yes via email (address was posted higher up on this page, post #305). Just a note for the future, if you check the box “search this thread only” in the search features, it’s really easy to find old posts about questions you may have. Super useful especially for those schools with 20+ pages :)

Yes via email (address was posted higher up on this page, post #305). Just a note for the future, if you check the box “search this thread only” in the search features, it’s really easy to find old posts about questions you may have. Super useful especially for those schools with 20+ pages :)
Thank you!

Does anyone know if UMD actually invites people they placed on hold?

Any current UMB medical student that can shed some light on how hard/easy it is to get instate tuition after being OOS for the first year?

I have a friend who goes here and was OOS. He said the process isn't terribly hard, but you just need to jump through the correct hoops (there's certain criteria you have to meet or something). He reached out to some upperclassman that walked him through it and was approved for IS after that first year.

This might be a long shot, but are you in CAPP or any of the longitudinal electives? If so, what's the application process for those like? I'm super interested in CAPP but can't find much info about it online

so who’s gonna step up??
There is one listed on Facebook, but there is only one member and was made months ago by the same user who made multiple school's pages. I would rather just start a new one

Someone took the plunge and made a Facebook group!

is anyone else having issues logging into the portal today, or unable to check status?

Anyone who interviewed early January know when we are supposed to hear back?

If any guys r looking for apartments for the 2019-20 school year, message me!

Does anyone know if they share their match list at the interview day?

Got an email w this. Does it mean anything for my status? Says not an admission letter.

Attachments

• fddfsfsdfsdsdf.PNG
    fddfsfsdfsdsdf.PNG
    4.6 KB · Views: 172