2018-2019 University of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you in-state? When exactly were you complete? URM? GPA is a little lower than their average. MCAT is fine though.

OOS and ORM. but I don't think complete date matters it was sometime in mid july

Members don't see this ad.

just got waitlisted. Interviewed 10/8. complete July. cGPA: 3.66 sGPA: 3.59 MCAT: 512. Honestly I just feel so defeated....this was by far my favorite interview so far and I walked out thinking I nailed it. Had such a good time with my interviewers and one of them kept telling me how much she liked my answers during the interview so I have no idea what I did wrong. Do you think it's because of stats?? this is pretty crushing but congrats to everyone else :\
I cannot imagine it being stats because they invited you for an interview. If your numbers were too low I'd think that they would reject you right off the bat..no?

Reactions: 1 users
just got waitlisted. Interviewed 10/8. complete July. cGPA: 3.66 sGPA: 3.59 MCAT: 512. Honestly I just feel so defeated....this was by far my favorite interview so far and I walked out thinking I nailed it. Had such a good time with my interviewers and one of them kept telling me how much she liked my answers during the interview so I have no idea what I did wrong. Do you think it's because of stats?? this is pretty crushing but congrats to everyone else :\

Hey there! Don't despair--things happen.

I had a similar experience on interview day and was also waitlisted, but in-state and higher stats. Kind of bummed because I loved the school and I don't have an acceptance yet either.

I later found out that the interviewers (or at least both of mine) do not sit on the committee or advocate for you in anyway besides a written evaluation, so not much you can do / not at all your fault! Maybe we were not as good of a fit in their eyes as we had hoped...

Just have to hope that things turn around for us in May and they give us another look!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there! Don't despair--things happen.

I had a similar experience on interview day and was also waitlisted, but in-state and higher stats. Kind of bummed because I loved the school and I don't have an acceptance yet either.

I later found out that the interviewers (or at least both of mine) do not sit on the committee or advocate for you in anyway besides a written evaluation, so not much you can do / not at all your fault! Maybe we were not as good of a fit in their eyes as we had hoped...

Just have to hope that things turn around for us in May and they give us another look!!! :)

you know what man you're totally right. Hoping for the best but on the bright side at least we made it this far!!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted via email, II 10/17. LM 70. OOS ORM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody who interviewed 10/22 hear back?

Pre-II? Was it through the portal or email? I thought this school doesn’t accept pre-II updates

Interested to hear answer to this question too

Email. I sent a short message with a pdf of my letter attached and they responded fairly quickly and said, "We will place this in your file." This was a pre-II update.

Accepted yesterday as well, IS, interviewed 10/8!

Reactions: 4 users
IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET IN OFF THE WAITLIST? IM SO SAD I WANTED TO GO TO MARYLAND SO BADLY :((((

(IS, gpa:3.9, sgpa: 3.92, 512, crap ton of shadowing and community service and research)

II today with earliest dates in Feb! Anyone know if there's a good shot at getting accepted after interviewing that late?

(complete 8/10, OOS w/ heavy IS ties, LM ~69)

Reactions: 1 user
IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET IN OFF THE WAITLIST? IM SO SAD I WANTED TO GO TO MARYLAND SO BADLY :((((

(IS, gpa:3.9, sgpa: 3.92, 512, crap ton of shadowing and community service and research)

So sorry :( same boat. I'm desperately hoping to get off the WL. Someone posted earlier that they only take a handful usually :(

Kind of unexpected II (via email) today! OOS, LM~75, complete early-mid August.

EDIT: unexpected!! (lol)

Last edited:
Can any current female medical students comment on the news of sexual harassment complaints at the SOM?/the overall environment on campus?

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted this morning
Interviewed 10/22
LM 75
OOS

Any people who interviewed on 10/17 still waiting to hear back?

Last edited:
Hey! I'm a current MS1 who was waitlisted this time last year, and got in around May. Don't lose hope!

Hey! I'm a current MS1 who was waitlisted this time last year, and got in around May. Don't lose hope!
I don't think it's because of stats. If you interviewed, your stats are fine. It doesn't even mean you had a bad interview. Keep in mind the competition is tough; a waitlist is NOT a rejection.

I don't think it's because of stats. If you interviewed, your stats are fine. It doesn't even mean you had a bad interview. Keep in mind the competition is tough; a waitlist is NOT a rejection.
you sir, are an inspiration. thank you for the info!!!

Just called to check on my application, the admissions receptionist was very rude. She hung up before I even finished speaking :eek:

If you’re IS and haven’t heard back since being complete in August (no H, no R, no II) is that a silent R?

I am IS, went to Maryland for undergrad
URM-- AA female,
3.8c/3.6s,
3100 patient contact hours (2000 of these hours demonstrate my commitment to underserved pop in MD!), 200 hours shadow, 500 research+ co-author publication
lower mcat though, my MCAT score and having a C in Orgo I &II are my only "red flags".
I have been accepted elsewhere, but ultimately Baltimore is a dirt cheap city to live in, and the in-state tuition makes it even more attractive.

Y r u ignoring Maryland :(

I am IS, went to Maryland for undergrad
URM-- AA female,
3.8c/3.6s,
3100 patient contact hours (2000 of these hours demonstrate my commitment to underserved pop in MD!), 200 hours shadow, 500 research+ co-author publication
lower mcat though, my MCAT score and having a C in Orgo I &II are my only "red flags".
I have been accepted elsewhere, but ultimately Baltimore is a dirt cheap city to live in, and the in-state tuition makes it even more attractive.

Y r u ignoring Maryland :(

And CA applicants think they have it bad! -_- why tho Maryland

And CA applicants think they have it bad! -_- why tho Maryland

RIGHT! They really think they do, but in reality, they DO NOT have it harder!!! There are 4 public schools in California, Maryland only has one + only 4,000-6,000 people apply to UMD. Its not like we are NYC, DC, or LA, SanDiego, or any other destination city lol. It's Baltimore!! sucks to suck tough April 30th is 5 months away, lets see whats going to happen....

Last cycle, I had the on-hold email 11/08 and ultimately rejected end of march despite 4 updates. So far this cycle complete silence. Maybe better?

RIGHT! They really think they do, but in reality, they DO NOT have it harder!!! There are 4 public schools in California, Maryland only has one + only 4,000-6,000 people apply to UMD. Its not like we are NYC, DC, or LA, SanDiego, or any other destination city lol. It's Baltimore!! sucks to suck tough April 30th is 5 months away, lets see whats going to happen....

Everyone has it hard. Regardless of your home state. Everything is not always as it seems.
UCSF is so prestigious that it is essentially not an option for most CA applicants--and sure there are lots of seats in CA public schools, but CA also has WAYYY more applicants.
EDIT: most of the public schools in CA have incredibly specific missions as well, so most CA applicants get rejected from most/all UCs
(Also there are 6 public schools in CA, not 4)

Last cycle, I had the on-hold email 11/08 and ultimately rejected end of march despite 4 updates. So far this cycle complete silence. Maybe better?

also got hold email 11/08 last cycle but nothing yet this cycle.... hopefully better

IMG_0401.JPG

Kind of unexpected II (via email) today! OOS, LM~75, complete early-mid August.

EDIT: unexpected!! (lol)
Wow! Good for you, they made you wait for it lol. I hope you rock the interview!

Do we think there will be another round of acceptances this Tuesday?

Interview invitation today! OOS. Kinda unexpected as well. The most recent date available is in February.

Last edited: