2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received an email about 2 weeks ago saying that I was eligible for the Betty Siegel Scholarship. Was only given about 10 days to apply and it asked for additional letters of rec and a personal essay. There wasn't much I could find about it, although I believe that it may be specifically for FL/South FL residents who demonstrate high financial need.

Very nice!
That’s helpful, too. So if we are eligible for a scholarship, they will let us know. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

II today! complete early October. Do we get an email back confirming the date we chose? or do we have to keep checking the portal?

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email about 2 weeks ago saying that I was eligible for the Betty Siegel Scholarship. Was only given about 10 days to apply and it asked for additional letters of rec and a personal essay. There wasn't much I could find about it, although I believe that it may be specifically for FL/South FL residents who demonstrate high financial need.
Hi! I was also invited to apply, but I am a little confused about the submission process. Did you have your recommenders email their letters directly to the medfin email address? Or did you have your recommenders email their letters to you, so that you could send one email with your essay, letters, and form altogether. Thank you!!

Very nice!
That’s helpful, too. So if we are eligible for a scholarship, they will let us know. Thanks!

There's more information on this page. http://mededu.med.miami.edu/contact-us/student-financial-assistance/scholarships-and-grants
I think they will let you know about eligibility for very particular scholarships like the Betty Siegel one, but you have to apply for a diversity scholarship and other need-based grants online, as per the website :) Merit scholarships, I believe, they just automatically consider you for without an additional application.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know some common places where students live? I’m in Miami for the weekend and would like to see what options there are

Hi! I was also invited to apply, but I am a little confused about the submission process. Did you have your recommenders email their letters directly to the medfin email address? Or did you have your recommenders email their letters to you, so that you could send one email with your essay, letters, and form altogether. Thank you!!
I had them send the letters to me and sent all my stuff to medfin in one email

Members don't see this ad :)
Do people who aren’t scored ever get interviews?

Complete Aug not scored

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know some common places where students live? I’m in Miami for the weekend and would like to see what options there are

Most students live in Brickell. Some other common place is around the med school campus.

I'd say 60% of students live in Brickell. Some live on the beach. Smaller proportion live closer to campus or elsewhere. Brickell is definitely doable on loans but you need a roommate.

I'd say 60% of students live in Brickell. Some live on the beach. Smaller proportion live closer to campus or elsewhere. Brickell is definitely doable on loans but you need a roommate.

im actually in Brickell today and was just walking around and looking at random apartments. What are they laces like? When I look online everything looks very small but very nice and very expensive. I don’t need very nice, just something normal. Are most students living in like skyrise places? Or smaller apt buildings, townhouses, condos, etc?

im actually in Brickell today and was just walking around and looking at random apartments. What are they laces like? When I look online everything looks very small but very nice and very expensive. I don’t need very nice, just something normal. Are most students living in like skyrise places? Or smaller apt buildings, townhouses, condos, etc?

in Brickell it's mostly the big skyrise condos, with some smaller apartment buildings (though everything in brickell is fairly tall). I wouldn't say they're particularly small, at least compared to the other major cities I've lived in. There's some variance, but for example I live in a 2/2 that's about 1000sqft, which is more than enough space. My apartment seems like a mansion compared to my friends NYC shoebox... Definitely pricy, which is why having a roommate is basically a requirement if you don't have support outside of loans. 2 and 3 bedrooms are wayyyy more affordable than a 1br or studio would be.

Brickell isn't for everyone, but there's a reason a lot of people (especially first years) live there. To some extent, you're getting what you pay for - there are more affordable places in Miami than Brickell, but you're making tradeoffs. Brickell is close to other students and restaurants/bars/etc which helps a lot with your social life. It's generally pretty safe. It's on the metro, which makes it easy to get to school and a few other places (the Miami metro is very limited, so many neighborhoods aren't served by it). And it definitely doesn't hurt to wake up in the morning to a view from your high rise window of the sun rising over Biscayne Bay...

in Brickell it's mostly the big skyrise condos, with some smaller apartment buildings (though everything in brickell is fairly tall). I wouldn't say they're particularly small, at least compared to the other major cities I've lived in. There's some variance, but for example I live in a 2/2 that's about 1000sqft, which is more than enough space. My apartment seems like a mansion compared to my friends NYC shoebox... Definitely pricy, which is why having a roommate is basically a requirement if you don't have support outside of loans. 2 and 3 bedrooms are wayyyy more affordable than a 1br or studio would be.

Brickell isn't for everyone, but there's a reason a lot of people (especially first years) live there. To some extent, you're getting what you pay for - there are more affordable places in Miami than Brickell, but you're making tradeoffs. Brickell is close to other students and restaurants/bars/etc which helps a lot with your social life. It's generally pretty safe. It's on the metro, which makes it easy to get to school and a few other places (the Miami metro is very limited, so many neighborhoods aren't served by it). And it definitely doesn't hurt to wake up in the morning to a view from your high rise window of the sun rising over Biscayne Bay...

Thanks a lot! Can you give me street names that are somewhat popular for where students live? Also, bars? I won’t ask you specifically where you live but just trying to get a better sense of the area so I can start looking

Thanks a lot! Can you give me street names that are somewhat popular for where students live? Also, bars? I won’t ask you specifically where you live but just trying to get a better sense of the area so I can start looking

Brickell on the River
MyBrickell
1100 Millecento
Axis (a lot of people live here)
SOMA at Brickell
Camden Brickell Apartments
1060 Brickell Condos
Yacht Club at Brickell

Bars (not a lot in Brickell):
RedBar
Black Bird

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Brickell on the River
MyBrickell
1100 Millecento
Axis (a lot of people live here)
SOMA at Brickell
Camden Brickell Apartments
1060 Brickell Condos
Yacht Club at Brickell

Bars (not a lot in Brickell):
RedBar
Black Bird

That's all I can think of at the moment.

My friend put me in touch with an MD/MPH student and she said she lived by herself for her first year in South Beach for $1200 a month. Is it still possible to find places that cheap?

My friend put me in touch with an MD/MPH student and she said she lived by herself for her first year in South Beach for $1200 a month. Is it still possible to find places that cheap?

Yes that's definitely possible, from what I know you can find studios for around that much (not sure about a 1br). But keep in mind that to live in south beach you absolutely need a car, and then will also need to pay for parking at school. You'd pay about that much to split a 2br in Brickell. So it's a valid option, just depends what you're looking for!

Reactions: 1 users
Yes that's definitely possible, from what I know you can find studios for around that much (not sure about a 1br). But keep in mind that to live in south beach you absolutely need a car, and then will also need to pay for parking at school. You'd pay about that much to split a 2br in Brickell. So it's a valid option, just depends what you're looking for!
Thank you! How much is parking at the school?

Thank you! How much is parking at the school?

I think a monthly pass in the student structure is like $60? Though there's been a waitlist for a while, the other parking option is like $75/month. You can also get daily parking passes if you only drive sometimes (up to 10 per month, $5 each)

Don't mind the MSAR data on the UM waitlist, it is patently false. Like @MaybeSoon said, there is only one list, call it whatever you want. After the last decision date, the committee continues to meet regularly (every other Wednesday or less frequently) to evaluate the remaining candidates on the list. Most movement generally occurs after traffic day, but unfortunately, there was very minimal movement after traffic day last year so it is pretty unpredictable.
Traffic day? And to be clear, you're saying that after the last listed acceptance date (3/27) they meet randomly to continue to accept people off the waitlist as spots become available?

bump. Or if anyone else knows anything more about the process after the last listed acceptance date

bump. Or if anyone else knows anything more about the process after the last listed acceptance date
Traffic day = April 30th, the deadline applicants have to narrow down their acceptances to only 1 program or risk getting their offers rescinded (I believe you can reach out to schools individually and ask for extensions if necessary)

Your second question is asking me to restate what I wrote above, so I don't really know how to answer it other than by telling you to re-read what I wrote. To add to it though, you can email the dean after traffic day to inquire about your position on the alternate list. You will be informed if you are in the top or middle 1/3rd of the list or to "make other plans."

Feel free to PM me if you are still confused by anything I wrote. I'm just relaying info I've acquired having interviewed here two years in a row.

Just got “We hope you enjoy your visit to our campus. Your final Admissions Committee decision will be available shortly”

Traffic day = April 30th, the deadline applicants have to narrow down their acceptances to only 1 program or risk getting their offers rescinded (I believe you can reach out to schools individually and ask for extensions if necessary)

Your second question is asking me to restate what I wrote above, so I don't really know how to answer it other than by telling you to re-read what I wrote. To add to it though, you can email the dean after traffic day to inquire about your position on the alternate list. You will be informed if you are in the top or middle 1/3rd of the list or to "make other plans."

Feel free to PM me if you are still confused by anything I wrote. I'm just relaying info I've acquired having interviewed here two years in a row.

Appreciate you trying to elaborate and all the help. I was trying to see if anyone had anymore info on waitlist movement after April 30th. They told us that last year they accepted 322 yet enrolled 205 so I was curious how much of that is post april 30th waitlist acceptances and if they were around certain days or randomly scattered. If no one knows thats fine, its all a waiting game anyway. Sorry for the confusion

If you interview for both MD and MD/MPH programs, do they consider you for one over the other? Or are they completely separate decision processes? I prefer to do the MD only program.

You can get accepted to one or both programs. I don't know how exactly the decisions are made though. If you get into both programs, you can choose which one to attend.

Are they receptive of updates or letter of interest pre-interview? Is it okay to email such things?

I just got an interview invite, SOOO EXCITED!!! does anyone know if they still have seats to offer or if this is more for waitlist

Reactions: 9 users
I just got an interview invite, SOOO EXCITED!!! does anyone know if they still have seats to offer or if this is more for waitlist

Congrats and no you definitely could be accepted right off the bat! There is only one list, and the top 20 are accepted each decision day. There are three "acceptance dates" left Feb 13, Feb 27, and March 27. That's 60 spots! Now you won't be eligible for Feb 13 (this Wed) but if your interview pushes your score to the top, you could be accepted on the later dates.

Go CRUSH it!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats and no you definitely could be accepted right off the bat! There is only one list, and the top 20 are accepted each decision day. There are three "acceptance dates" left Feb 13, Feb 27, and March 27. That's 60 spots! Now you won't be eligible for Feb 13 (this Wed) but if your interview pushes your score to the top, you could be accepted on the later dates.

Go CRUSH it!
Thanks so much Wish me luck

Accepted off the alternate list today! First acceptance!!!:clap: Interviewed 1/14, alternate list 1/30, did not send any updates

Reactions: 20 users
Congrats guys! Hopefully some of y’all will be my new classmates in the fall :soexcited:

Anyone else debating whether to choose the MD or MD-MPH route??