2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else ask for feedback from last cycle and get roasted? Some steep standards at Miami and I even have a well rounded app haha
Now I'm curious. What did they tell you that was roast worthy

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else ask for feedback from last cycle and get roasted? Some steep standards at Miami and I even have a well rounded app haha
Did you ask by email or did you call? I interviewed here last cycle and got waitlisted so I'd love to get some feedback as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL i'll mention a few things, where do I begin? My GPA is pretty good and the only thing off is my MCAT is below their avg (super bummed about this but it is what it is), I guess that is grounds for me to apply to the Caribbean.:shrug: I have ~900 hours of shadowing/hospital experience over multiple years but I guess I need to shadow 5 doctors instead because that wasn't what they wanted? I have around 1,000 research hours in the lab but not having a publication is frowned upon. I have a few awards but they weren't the "right" awards or honors to get lol :eyebrow:. I also have 4,000 hours of service but that didn't help my app at all apparently. *Insert* "that's nice, but we really are looking for...." I taught students as well, but they pointed out that I wasn't a TA in a preferred subject. Seems like if you don't have close to a 90 percentile or up they will pick apart your application, just an FYI. I've done more but those are the highlights. It's just funny that I know people who got in with no research or barely any volunteering or shadowing experience, but had the one thing better, which is the desired test score.

You have an amazing app and you'll be an amazing doctor, don't listen to that jerk! With your lower than average MCAT score have you applied to FSU? They definitely show love for applicants w/ lots of service and experience but lower than average scores (if you're a FL resident).

LOL i'll mention a few things, where do I begin? My GPA is pretty good and the only thing off is my MCAT is below their avg (super bummed about this but it is what it is), I guess that is grounds for me to apply to the Caribbean.:shrug: I have ~900 hours of shadowing/hospital experience over multiple years but I guess I need to shadow 5 doctors instead because that wasn't what they wanted? I have around 1,000 research hours in the lab but not having a publication is frowned upon. I have a few awards but they weren't the "right" awards or honors to get lol :eyebrow:. I also have 4,000 hours of service but that didn't help my app at all apparently. *Insert* "that's nice, but we really are looking for...." I taught students as well, but they pointed out that I wasn't a TA in a preferred subject. Seems like if you don't have close to a 90 percentile or up they will pick apart your application, just an FYI. I've done more but those are the highlights. It's just funny that I know people who got in with no research or barely any volunteering or shadowing experience, but had the one thing better, which is the desired test score.
Ya that definitely sounds like they were just making stuff up to avoid the fact that the mcat was the problem. That really sucks

Reactions: 1 user
That’s pretty savage man. Don’t beat yourself up about it. It seems like a lot of schools are picking apart these type of things just to point out something of an applicant asks.

It sounds like They probably haven’t even read your app. There were a couple similar posts on reddit about admissions people telling reapplicants things like this. It does sound like they’re pretty stats motivated though lol

I know it's kind of brutal, but when you ask for feedback, at least they were honest and brought some points up. Obviously it sounds like your app was great, but it wasn't exactly what they were looking for, which doesn't mean you aren't good enough or you haven't done enough or anything like that. It just means that they didn't think it was a good fit, even if it's pretty BS. The way this process is set up is such that there is a lot of BS that ends up determining success. So don't let it get you down! But also don't be too bitter about it, try to keep up a positive attitude!

You have an awesome app, and I'm sure you'll have better luck this cycle with just a few added improvements here and there. What was your GPA and MCAT score? Were you an ORM? It would help a lot because a lot of us here really want to maximize our chances at this school. Lastly, when you say "close to a 90 percentile or up" are you specifically referring to the MCAT?

Last edited:
Given how ambiguous this sound, I would say it's a holistic screen. Don't think it's a number screen because they probably won't know what the cutoff should be given that it's the first year they're screening

I have a feeling that this "most applicants" they refer to is now likely gonna be something narrow like 3/5 or 4/7. There's this and then there's CASPer that they added on. I'm still trying hard for this school, but I've seen a lot of folks disgruntled with UMiami this cycle.

How low is too low of mcat to apply here?

According to MSAR:

25th to 75th percentile range of accepted applicant MCAT scores: 510 to 516

10th to 90th: 506 to 519

Median = 513

Anything lower than a 506 is likely wasting your money...but the applicant mentioning the rough feedback seems to have enough ECs to almost offset a score around 506...

the schools website says:
The Miller School of Medicine has a new policy of sending secondary applications to most US citizens and permanent residents who submit an AMCAS application. It will be the applicant’s decision whether to fill out the secondary application and submit it. In this regard, all applicants should remember that our last three entering classes had an average undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.7, a science GPA of 3.6, and an average old MCAT composite score of 505 – 515. To be truly competitive, potential applicants should have credentials comparable to those of our most recent classes. Supplemental applications received in the Office of Admissions after January 15th will not be processed.
worth applying with 505?

the schools website says:
The Miller School of Medicine has a new policy of sending secondary applications to most US citizens and permanent residents who submit an AMCAS application. It will be the applicant’s decision whether to fill out the secondary application and submit it. In this regard, all applicants should remember that our last three entering classes had an average undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.7, a science GPA of 3.6, and an average old MCAT composite score of 505 – 515. To be truly competitive, potential applicants should have credentials comparable to those of our most recent classes. Supplemental applications received in the Office of Admissions after January 15th will not be processed.
worth applying with 505?

What is your GPA? Like the other poster showed, if your MCAT is on their lower end you don't have a whole lot of room for other lapses. If you put together a good secondary and submit it early that would really help you stand out. There were multiple sub 70 LizzyMs on the 2017-18 thread that got accepted here.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to MSAR:

Median = 513

Anything lower than a 506 is likely wasting your money...but the applicant mentioning the rough feedback seems to have enough ECs to almost offset a score around 506...

Offset it in your opinion? The guy he talked to at UMiami made it seem like there were holes everywhere in his ECs. He may have been covering up for the mcat score, but who knows...

What is your GPA? Like the other poster showed, if your MCAT is on their lower end you don't have a whole lot of room for other lapses. If you put together a good secondary and submit it early that would really help you stand out. There were multiple sub 70 LizzyMs on the 2017-18 thread that got accepted here.
my cGPA is a 3.89

I have a feeling that this "most applicants" they refer to is now likely gonna be something narrow like 3/5 or 4/7. There's this and then there's CASPer that they added on. I'm still trying hard for this school, but I've seen a lot of folks disgruntled with UMiami this cycle.
If that’s the case then our chances of being admitted go up by a lot. Even if only 3/5 people get a secondary there’s still gonna be a bunch that don’t fill it out .

I don’t think they’re gonna use Casper for anything. It really seems like a last minute thing plus I doubt they even know how to use it. At best they would toss out anyone with less than 50 percentile score

Thank you all for the kind words, i'm definitely not upset over it. I have worked extremely hard to improve my app and hope I get a chance to prove myself this cycle. Make sure to apply early! If you have specific questions, shoot me a message. Good luck to everyone!

According to MSAR:

Median = 513

Honestly if you’re lower than a 510, unless you’ve got some killer ECs/ ties etc, your money is probably best spent elsewhere

Reactions: 2 users
If that’s the case then our chances of being admitted go up by a lot. Even if only 3/5 people get a secondary there’s still gonna be a bunch that don’t fill it out .

I don’t think they’re gonna use Casper for anything. It really seems like a last minute thing plus I doubt they even know how to use it. At best they would toss out anyone with less than 50 percentile score

A 50% tile cutoff for a test about whose scoring we know so little is nothing to scoff at. I’ll try my absolute best on CASPer to showcase proper ethical cognition, but it would suck if my score is still too low for certain schools.

A 50% tile cutoff for a test about whose scoring we know so little is nothing to scoff at. I’ll try my absolute best on CASPer to showcase proper ethical cognition, but it would suck if my score is still too low for certain schools.
I would be very surprised if they weighted it very heavily first year. They just have no data to compare to

Let me pick apart what they said:

1) how could they criticize 900 hours of shadowing. That is like top 5% of applicants.
2) Not having a publication is frowned upon? WashU states that ~10% of their incoming class has a publication in a journal. WashU is ranked much higher than Miami.
3) Most people don't even mention awards...such an arbitrary metric.

It seems like they were trying to BBQ you, perhaps because admissions offices usually hate giving feedback.

That being said, this was very helpful and I will make sure to make a note of these points in my secondary. Especially the point about needing to shadow 5 different specialties. I have shadowed several different doctors in different specialties but I didn't even think that was a big deal.

I would be very surprised if they weighted it very heavily first year. They just have no data to compare to

Agreed. If they're really "jumping on the bandwagon" and using it like other schools, the CASPer score is going to be a way to help boost applicants who might not normally get an II. If you've got an amazing CASPer score and an otherwise forgettable application, it might get you over the hump to get you an interview. If your CASPer is terrible but you're 528/4.0, it probably won't matter.

That’s true. It’s not just an ethical test. There’s a bunch of other parameters that they’re looking for (compassion, empathy, understanding, problem solving etc). I have a feeling that once this test becomes full swing, the 50th percentile will be a minimum threshold similar to the mcat. Right now it seems unlikely they’re going to use it so hopefully we’ll all be fine

For what it's worth, my GPA was well below the 10th percentile and got in last cycle. So just cause you have one bad stat won't eliminate you completely.

For what it's worth, my GPA was well below the 10th percentile and got in last cycle. So just cause you have one bad stat won't eliminate you completely.
Dont they have a type of numbering system? I thought I saw 120 pts go to stats and 180 goes to everything else.

Dont they have a type of numbering system? I thought I saw 120 pts go to stats and 180 goes to everything else.
Yup there's a video closer to the beginning of this thread attesting to that. Unfortunately drHopefuls anecdotal evidence pertaining to his stellar app with a low mcat seems to speak otherwise

Where do you go now and what was your mcat? The latter is starting to matter leagues more than the former.

Yup there's a video closer to the beginning of this thread attesting to that. Unfortunately drHopefuls anecdotal evidence pertaining to his stellar app with a low mcat seems to speak otherwise
He could have other factors too like legacy, ties etc that were included

hmmmm decisions on whether to submit my app!!

Haha yeah if you're on the fence, just do it. I applied to a behemoth of schools (a lot of which seemed out of reach) and ended up getting to choose. The first time I applied to applied to very select schools and had 0 acceptances and 0 choices. Definitely better to spend the extra ~$100 now.

Ya I didn't realize shadowing 5 different specialties was needed either and they specifically mentioned that they like seeing publications and certain honors (like phi beta/fullbright... something like that) which I didn't realize. I did a lot of hours in the lab but my graduate student didn't pump out publications like others did, but I gained valuable insight in research and worked on dozens of different research projects. I don't see how not having certain awards can be looked down on if your app is competitive for them anyways. I feel like just having an award is a great thing and i'm pretty happy about mine. They must be interviewing a lot of PhD Rhode Scholar applicants I guess haha. I'm very happy with where my application is and worked very hard to get it there, I'm sure the feedback person just wanted to pick things apart. I'm not mad with the feedback, they gave me a different perspective that no one has ever mentioned to me before so i'll keep it in mind. Although they picked my app apart, at least I know the things I should add in my secondary's going forward so i'm happy about that. Make sure to elaborate on everything you did in detail, even the smallest things like bringing water to patients. They stressed that as well. Glad this feedback helped and hope everyone on this thread gets an interview this cycle!

Did you do oral or poster presentations? What level were they?

Haha yeah if you're on the fence, just do it. I applied to a behemoth of schools (a lot of which seemed out of reach) and ended up getting to choose. The first time I applied to applied to very select schools and had 0 acceptances and 0 choices. Definitely better to spend the extra ~$100 now.
I wholly agree.

Ya that definitely sounds like they were just making stuff up to avoid the fact that the mcat was the problem. That really sucks
Lends credence to the idea that if you're deficient in MCAT or GPA at a reach school, your app better be fantastic otherwise. His ECs were definitely enviable, but I don't think they were quite outstanding.

Last edited:
Lends credence to the idea that if you're deficient in MCAT or GPA at a reach school, your app better be fantastic otherwise. His ECs were definitely enviable, but I don't think they were quite outstanding.

He may have had good stuff he forgot to list

In my opinion, its hard to imagine the primary to secondary cut-off be 4/7 or 3/5. If we already know that the # of secondaries filled out and submitted is roughly 40-50% of the # of primary applications submitted then there is no way that the primary application to secondary invite breakdown is in the 60% + range. That would mean that majority of people who get their secondaries from Miami fill them out and submit.

I am guessing like 80-90% of primary applicants get a secondary (the ones don't just have a super low GPA and/or MCAT score). Then roughly 60% of applicants who get a secondary submit a completed one.

In my opinion, its hard to imagine the primary to secondary cut-off be 4/7 or 3/5. If we already know that the # of secondaries filled out and submitted is roughly 40-50% of the # of primary applications submitted then there is no way that the primary application to secondary invite breakdown is in the 60% + range. That would mean that majority of people who get their secondaries from Miami fill them out and submit.

I am guessing like 80-90% of primary applicants get a secondary (the ones don't just have a super low GPA and/or MCAT score). Then roughly 60% of applicants who get a secondary submit a completed one.

The only other explanation is that UM is delaying the secondaries as a courtesy, knowing many other schools are sending theirs out now

Last year less than 50% of receivers submitted a secondary

Last year less than 50% of receivers submitted a secondary

Was that % of people that received a secondary filled it out or was it % of people that submitted a primary application that then submitted a secondary?

Sorry I just don't know what the raw data looks like, I am basing things off what I have heard on here and other places.

If anyone has received a secondary,

What are the essays asking for & word count.

Thanks!

If anyone has received a secondary,

What are the essays asking for & word count.

Thanks!

Secondary just now:

APPLICANT NARRATIVES: (All narrative responses should be less than 500 words each).

Briefly describe the one clinical experience you have had that has most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine. Do not replicate your AMCAS personal statement.

Why have you selected the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine for your medical education? Please be as specific as possible.

Please provide a chronological list with dates of your clinical experiences/shadowing.

Please provide a chronological list with dates of your community service/volunteering.

Please discuss a situation where you had to use your leadership skills.

Please briefly discuss your research experience.

Please provide a chronological list with dates of your employment.

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of any activities involving the FINE ARTS (dance, drama, music, art, photography, etc.)

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of any activities involving SPORTS (organized team sports, recreational activities that you play, watch or follow)

[OPTIONAL] Describe your most meaningful involvement in STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS.

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of your most memorable TRAVEL experience.

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of your HOBBIES and what you do for fun and relaxation.

Secondary just now:

APPLICANT NARRATIVES: (All narrative responses should be less than 500 words each).

Briefly describe the one clinical experience you have had that has most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine. Do not replicate your AMCAS personal statement.

Why have you selected the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine for your medical education? Please be as specific as possible.

Please provide a chronological list with dates of your clinical experiences/shadowing.

Please provide a chronological list with dates of your community service/volunteering.

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of any activities involving the FINE ARTS (dance, drama, music, art, photography, etc.)

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of any activities involving SPORTS (organized team sports, recreational activities that you play, watch or follow)

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of your most memorable TRAVEL experience.

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of your HOBBIES and what you do for fun and relaxation.

Looks liek the theory of "of if they screen then there will be a shorter secondary" is wrong :help:

Secondary just now:

They didn't change nothin'; they the real deal

So my email says the instructions for completing the secondary are attached...but there is neither a link nor an attachment to the email......is anyone else having this issue?

So my email says the instructions for completing the secondary are attached...but there is neither a link nor an attachment to the email......is anyone else having this issue?

Hmm did you indicate interest in MD/MPH or MD/PhD?

When you get secondaries from both Miami and Duke on the same day....fml

:arghh::dead::uhno::help::bang:

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary just now:

Has anyone been able to access the application portal?

Thanks!

Last edited: