2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't get one :/

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still waiting on it too. I don't think they've sent them out to everyone yet because I'm an undergrad there and interviewed with an adcom member for my committee letter, and he thought that I had a decent shot at Miller. Who knows though, they could've been looking for something specific this year and screened me out

I just got another email from Miami with an attachment to fill out the secondary. Clunky website but it seems to work.

Have not received it either, but they do NOT screen so just wait patiently :)

For those that got the secondary, where do you upload your picture? The instructions that came with it said we would upload our picture first before starting the secondary.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
For those that got the secondary, where do you upload your picture? The instructions that came with it said we would upload our picture first before starting the secondary.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Figured it out!!
So complete the secondary, and pay the fee, then exit out of everything.
Go back to the PDF with the instructions and find the original link for secondary.

I'm still waiting on it too. I don't think they've sent them out to everyone yet because I'm an undergrad there and interviewed with an adcom member for my committee letter, and he thought that I had a decent shot at Miller. Who knows though, they could've been looking for something specific this year and screened me out
Stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Woke up to an email notification for this secondary. Guess I have to actually write it now:dead:

I submitted this secondary last cycle and it was SO well written. I even answered all the optional questions! So I plan to submit the exact same one with some minor adjustments once I receive this Secondary. Does anyone even think they read applications on the deadlines? Does this seem safe to submit the same answers to the essays questions with some minor work done?

I submitted this secondary last cycle and it was SO well written. I even answered all the optional questions! So I plan to submit the exact same one with some minor adjustments once I receive this Secondary. Does anyone even think they read applications on the deadlines? Does this seem safe to submit the same answers to the essays questions with some minor work done?
Yes and no. If you reword everything it shouldn't throw up red flags that you're lazy, however you also need to look at why you didn't get in last cycle and address that. Did you contact admissions to figure out what went wrong last cycle?

Yes and no. If you reword everything it shouldn't throw up red flags that you're lazy, however you also need to look at why you didn't get in last cycle and address that. Did you contact admissions to figure out what went wrong last cycle?

Well see I feel like it was because I submitted it on the deadline which was sometime in December or January I can't quite remember. Although I believe it was in January.

Well see I feel like it was because I submitted it on the deadline which was sometime in December or January I can't quite remember. Although I believe it was in January.
Ok then I would say go ahead and just re-word your essays. Make sure to update your chronological lists with what you've been doing this past year

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a separate secondary for only MD/MPH? If so, would someone mind posting? I managed to lock myself out of the applicant portal for an hour lol

What the heck? The Miami secondary is basically to list out our resume and primary. Do they not even read our primaries or resumes?

Figured it out!!
Go back to the PDF with the instructions and find the original link for secondary.

I'm having the same problems with entering a picture. According to the secondary instructions, the pic should be first. Is anybody else experiencing these problems?

Figured it out!!

I just confirmed this with admissions. You are correct. The prompt to attach a picture occurs AFTER submission of the secondary. The instructions were off a bit

Anyone still waiting on the secondary??

Reactions: 2 users
Is there a separate secondary for only MD/MPH? If so, would someone mind posting? I managed to lock myself out of the applicant portal for an hour lol
Typically it's the same secondary with 3 public health oriented questions added to the end.

Last year it was:

(MD/MPH) Please describe any experience you have had in public health – -this could be experience in the field, in training, in education or other related experience. (500 words)

(MD/MPH) Please describe how you envision you would use the public health training provided in the joint MD/MPH in your future career as a physician. (500 words)

(MD/MPH) Is there anything else you want to tell us about your interest in the MD/MPH program? (500 words)

Typically it's the same secondary with 3 public health oriented questions added to the end.

Last year it was:

(MD/MPH) Please describe any experience you have had in public health – -this could be experience in the field, in training, in education or other related experience. (500 words)

(MD/MPH) Please describe how you envision you would use the public health training provided in the joint MD/MPH in your future career as a physician. (500 words)

(MD/MPH) Is there anything else you want to tell us about your interest in the MD/MPH program? (500 words)
Can confirm its the same this year!

Guys ... deep breath. I know everyone is anxious, I understand. I remember the feeling myself, and I know I'm going to be going through it again really soon with residency applications. But you need to stop doing stuff like hyper analyzing the wording of everything and driving yourselves insane.

Granted I haven't been involved in the admissions process this year (been a little busy), but I highly doubt they're screening for secondaries to any stringent degree. That wording is pretty standard, and just makes it clear that they have the option to not send a secondary if they decide to do that. Miami has never really screened for secondaries in the past and I don't think they're doing it this year either. Pretty sure everyone (or really close to it) will get a secondary.

If you haven't gotten the secondary yet despite already sending in your primary, use the prompts provided here and pre-write it. Yes it's a beast, but tackle it first (or as one of the first) and it can actually be helpful for you in the application process. It forces you to put a lot of your strengths and experiences and uniqueness in narrative form - which is incredibly helpful for interviews, and might give you answers to other secondary essays from other schools.

No matter what happens, all of you here are awesome. It's not easy to make it to this point. You should all be really proud of yourselves for that. Good luck!

Guys ... deep breath. I know everyone is anxious, I understand. I remember the feeling myself, and I know I'm going to be going through it again really soon with residency applications. But you need to stop doing stuff like hyper analyzing the wording of everything and driving yourselves insane.

Granted I haven't been involved in the admissions process this year (been a little busy), but I highly doubt they're screening for secondaries to any stringent degree. That wording is pretty standard, and just makes it clear that they have the option to not send a secondary if they decide to do that. Miami has never really screened for secondaries in the past and I don't think they're doing it this year either. Pretty sure everyone (or really close to it) will get a secondary.

If you haven't gotten the secondary yet despite already sending in your primary, use the prompts provided here and pre-write it. Yes it's a beast, but tackle it first (or as one of the first) and it can actually be helpful for you in the application process. It forces you to put a lot of your strengths and experiences and uniqueness in narrative form - which is incredibly helpful for interviews, and might give you answers to other secondary essays from other schools.

No matter what happens, all of you here are awesome. It's not easy to make it to this point. You should all be really proud of yourselves for that. Good luck!

Oooo, the legend has stepped into the thread haha

And yes, you guys have to calm down lol - "...you need to stop doing stuff like hyper analyzing the wording of everything and driving yourselves insane"

I have tons of things I can put in for my most significant travel experience. One of which is on my primary, a mission trip. My question is, would it be okay to repeat that story on the secondary application? Or should I use a new story about personal accomplishments with a hobby of mine?

I have tons of things I can put in for my most significant travel experience. One of which is on my primary, a mission trip. My question is, would it be okay to repeat that story on the secondary application? Or should I use a new story about personal accomplishments with a hobby of mine?
That's up to you. I would say if it's already well reflected on the primary (ie. PS or most meaningful) then the something new for secondaries would be better. But if the mission trip was just one of your listed activities without any reflection then it could be a good secondary topic. Make sure you emphasize you weren't doing anything you wouldn't be licensed to do in the states!

is anyone else having an issue with the format of the essays? When I look at the preview it shows all of the essays condensed into one long paragraph and the chronological lists all together like a run on sentence.

is anyone else having an issue with the format of the essays? When I look at the preview it shows all of the essays condensed into one long paragraph and the chronological lists all together like a run on sentence.
yeah, same.

What's the catch with UM Miller? Awesome city, great weather, great match list. Looks like good research. Here's what I've heard thus far:
- Numerical grading can get stressful
- No time off for research
- Curriculum doesn't prepare well for step 1
- The residencies have a reputation for being very demanding compared to other programs

Any other students care to give input? Even if the first four are true, I'm still willing to give this school a big chance haha

What's the catch with UM Miller? Awesome city, great weather, great match list. Looks like good research. Here's what I've heard thus far:
- The residencies have a reputation for being very demanding compared to other programs

Any other students care to give input? Even if the first four are true, I'm still willing to give this school a big chance haha
What do you mean by residencies are demanding? As in because you would be more likely to stay local for residency that's a negative for the school, or that the residents are more demanding of the med students during clerkships?

Anyone still waiting for a secondary? I'm trying not to lose hope but I am getting worried. I'm still waiting on my 3 top choices - including Miller.
OOS, 3.75 GPA, 514 MCAT

Anyone still waiting for a secondary? I'm trying not to lose hope but I am getting worried. I'm still waiting on my 3 top choices - including Miller.
OOS, 3.75 GPA, 514 MCAT
Bruh don't be worried. Be happy! It's one less secondary you have to worry about for the time being

As far as research, most of the students are involved in some sort of research and the flexibility of the recorded lectures allows many students to do research as they please throughout the day. I met one student who worked full time in bench research during the day and watched lectures in her down time while waiting for assays, gels to run, etc. There's also pathways of emphasis with capstone projects and all kinds of opportunities.

The numerical grading being stressful is fair, but keep in mind that almost all schools will find some way to rank their students, even if they are P/F (Like Miami). However, as far as I know, Miami is the only school that puts the numerical score with your P/F, so the number being there is really pretty useless for comparison to students from other schools. A lot of Miami students never even look at their numerical grade while enrolled in school. I think it's lame that they do it, but I don't think it's as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be at all.

Also, I'm not sure I would say that the curriculum doesn't prepare well for step 1 (speaking for both MD and MD MPH programs). From looking at multiple schools and how much school step averages vary per year, your step score is a lot based on you personally. From everyone I've talked to, Miami has a robust step prep course and plenty of time off to prepare and study. From what I've heard they are constantly evaluating to see how they can help students improve their step preparation, so I wouldn't be concerned with this either. I will say that almost every curriculum will have flaws, but I think the curriculum here seems pretty reasonable-- but maybe an M3-4 will be able to speak better to that.

Keep in mind that the MD MPH students will naturally be taking more classes, so you will need to work harder to stay afloat, and their step 1 score average IS slightly lower (their other board scores are much higher than average, though), but I think part of that is the type of student the combined degree attracts (public health oriented, more EC focused). I don't think the curriculum puts you at a disadvantage for the combined program, but it is tough. Remember you're basically enrolled in two full-time graduate programs.

Basically, these are all reasonable concerns, but these are my honest impressions and how it stacks up :p

As far as research, most of the students are involved in some sort of research and the flexibility of the recorded lectures allows many students to do research as they please throughout the day. I met one student who worked full time in bench research during the day and watched lectures in her down time while waiting for assays, gels to run, etc. There's also pathways of emphasis with capstone projects and all kinds of opportunities.

The numerical grading being stressful is fair, but keep in mind that almost all schools will find some way to rank their students, even if they are P/F (Like Miami). However, as far as I know, Miami is the only school that puts the numerical score with your P/F, so the number being there is really pretty useless for comparison to students from other schools. A lot of Miami students never even look at their numerical grade while enrolled in school. I think it's lame that they do it, but I don't think it's as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be at all.

Also, I'm not sure I would say that the curriculum doesn't prepare well for step 1 (speaking for both MD and MD MPH programs). From looking at multiple schools and how much school step averages vary per year, your step score is a lot based on you personally. From everyone I've talked to, Miami has a robust step prep course and plenty of time off to prepare and study. From what I've heard they are constantly evaluating to see how they can help students improve their step preparation, so I wouldn't be concerned with this either. I will say that almost every curriculum will have flaws, but I think the curriculum here seems pretty reasonable-- but maybe an M3-4 will be able to speak better to that.

Keep in mind that the MD MPH students will naturally be taking more classes, so you will need to work harder to stay afloat, and their step 1 score average IS slightly lower (their other board scores are much higher than average, though), but I think part of that is the type of student the combined degree attracts (public health oriented, more EC focused). I don't think the curriculum puts you at a disadvantage for the combined program, but it is tough. Remember you're basically enrolled in two full-time graduate programs.

Basically, these are all reasonable concerns, but these are my honest impressions and how it stacks up :p

No mandatory lectures? Students often do research during them? Being able to do that was one of the few good things about my undergrad. That's honestly another big selling point.

Are there any current UM students in this thread invovled in any computational clinical research? I'd love to ask you all some questions regarding it.

No mandatory lectures? Students often do research during them? Being able to do that was one of the few good things about my undergrad. That's honestly another big selling point.

Are there any current UM students in this thread invovled in any computational clinical research? I'd love to ask you all some questions regarding it.
Well some lectures are mandatory, like when patients, guest lecturers come in, or (infrequently) PBL, and dissections are mandatory; but other than that it's notoriously super flexible (obviously you can still go to lecture if you want). Side note but the combined program has more PBL classes and thus more mandatory attendance to lectures.

-Numerical grading? This question has always boggled me. You have no control over how your classmates do.
-roughly 80% of the MD curriculum is voluntary; and 65% of the MD/MPH curriculum. There's time to do research during the year but I wouldn't suggest engaging until the end of first semester, first year.
-Not sure how the MD's curriculum is taught but the biochem does need improvement on the MD/MPH side; otherwise, the organ systems will have you well-prepared. Plus, as was mentioned before there are lunchtime review sessions and faculty is very open to amending the curriculum in small but meaningful ways with enough student input
-I've heard OB is very challenging but otherwise, not much different than the standard for others.

Oooo, the legend has stepped into the thread haha
Fossil is more like it lol :). You and @The Knife & Gun Club and a few others have taken over nicely - I would have been lucky to have senior students like you guys here to answer questions when I was applying!

Quick possibly stupid question--if we are interested in the MD/MPH program, would we indicate that in the "why miami miller" prompt? Or should we treat that more as a why MD specifically at Miami Miller

Quick possibly stupid question--if we are interested in the MD/MPH program, would we indicate that in the "why miami miller" prompt? Or should we treat that more as a why MD specifically at Miami Miller

You should address that in the MPH prompts...

What do you mean by residencies are demanding? As in because you would be more likely to stay local for residency that's a negative for the school, or that the residents are more demanding of the med students during clerkships?

Not sure if this is what OP means, but I think it’s that residencies at Jackson/UM are notoriously difficult. The hospital here is not an academic ivory tower by any stretch - it’s a county hospital that is serving a gigantic underserved population. This has pros and cons, but it means the hours can be long, the system somewhat inefficient, and the patients not always the most rewarding.

Personally I’d rather have a training site that is up to its ears in sick patients (like Jackson) because it’s a place where med students can actually have a roll in patient care.

And while treating the same homeless guy for alcoholic pancreatitis 4 Times in a month can be infuriating, helping someone in need, who really has nowhere else to go is profoundly rewarding. The other day I helped one of my patients get a Jackson card (free healthcare for those in need) so they could have a hysterectomy for painful uterine fibroids. You won’t see that stuff in a lot of places.

Reactions: 3 users