May 25, 2017
97
113
91
Status
Pre-Medical
I just got a 25% scholarship for another school. I just got accepted earlier this week so of course I haven't heard back from Financial Aid. Should I ask them to match it? Should I wait? Id need to accept the other scholarship by May 10th so now im just conflicted because UM is my top choice but its an 80K difference :nailbiting:
What are the pros and cons of each school lol
 

Nrodr180

2+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2017
39
44
61
Its pretty much UM vs FIU.

UM is pretty much better overall but FIU has higher step 1 scores and it would be like 80K cheaper with the 25% scholarship
 
Oct 9, 2018
32
18
11
Its pretty much UM vs FIU.

UM is pretty much better overall but FIU has higher step 1 scores and it would be like 80K cheaper with the 25% scholarship
I interviewed at both and you cant go wrong either way. But to be honest I was hugely impressed by FIU at not only their scores but the whole change up with their program. Focusing more on clinical experience and less on the in class learning which is something I've seen a lot of schools changing towards. You cant go wrong either way but 80k is a lot in my opinion
 

Nrodr180

2+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2017
39
44
61
I interviewed at both and you cant go wrong either way. But to be honest I was hugely impressed by FIU at not only their scores but the whole change up with their program. Focusing more on clinical experience and less on the in class learning which is something I've seen a lot of schools changing towards. You cant go wrong either way but 80k is a lot in my opinion
I know it is! I am a little hesitant about asking them to match it since I got accepted so recently but I would not be able to make a choice without knowing what UM offers. Are you choosing FIU?
 
Jul 17, 2018
93
72
31
Status
Pre-Medical
I know it is! I am a little hesitant about asking them to match it since I got accepted so recently but I would not be able to make a choice without knowing what UM offers. Are you choosing FIU?
It doesn’t hurt just to let them know that you were offered the scholarship. The worst they can do is say they won’t match it
 

Nrodr180

2+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2017
39
44
61
guys i need help. been getting really conflicting information from people. I first got a 50% scholarship from another school and then emailed Weisman to let him know. I got offered a matching 50% from UM which im super grateful and never expected. some family/friends seem to think i should tell the other school to see if they can increase their initial offer. in the rare case they offer me lets say 75% some people think i should then use that new number to negotiate with UM. i really dont think i should do that because i feel unbelievably lucky to have gotten 50% from UM. Miller was my top choice so i reallly dont wanna push it. any thoughts?
How did your word your email? Had Miller already given your a scholarship when you told them to match it?
 
Sep 7, 2018
26
6
11
How did your word your email? Had Miller already given your a scholarship when you told them to match it?
Also, I understand you need to have made a decision and hold only 1 acceptance by April 30th, so you might want to look into those deadlines rather than May 10th for finaid.
 

Nrodr180

2+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2017
39
44
61
Also, I understand you need to have made a decision and hold only 1 acceptance by April 30th, so you might want to look into those deadlines rather than May 10th for finaid.
You can actually hold multiple acceptances if you are waiting for fin aid at least that is what the UCF assistant dean said in his recent email. Here’s the email for reference:

April 30 is arriving quickly. I wanted to provide you with some information for your consideration as we go through this process. We have determined that many programs have set their Commit To Enroll (CTE) unrealistically early, ie April 30 for late July and August matriculations. In most cases programs are not fully understanding of the process. If you find this being true and you feel that you are being forced to COMMIT too early you should:

- Go to that program’s CYMS school specific instructions to ensure that they are following their own self-determined rules. Have they set a CTE date at all?
- If their rules specify that you must select Plan To Enroll (PTE) by April 30that should not be a problem. PTE is not CTE and is only a signal that you are not ready to CTE yet. Your PTE program may ask you why not CTE but should not pressure you to CTE prior to the suggested 21 days before matriculation or in concert with their posted CYMS rules.
- Yes CAN legally hold more than one school after April 30 according to the AAMC Protocols. If a program has recently offered you a seat then you are allowed 14 days to consider that offer. Additionally if you are awaiting financial information from a program you can also continue to hold multiple offers. Finally no program knows when an offer was made to you so it may be that you have just received a recent offer and have those “14” days.

We would be happy to ensure that the AAMC is aware of programs that are:
- Pressuring you to make an early decision
- Do not have their rules for CTE/PTE/Deposits specifically identified on their web site
- Are forcing you to CTE earlier than the recommended 21 days prior to matriculation or earlier than their school specific rules define

- In any of the above we will not identify you to the AAMC

IF you have any questions Laurel and I are here.

REL
 
Oct 9, 2018
32
18
11
You can actually hold multiple acceptances if you are waiting for fin aid at least that is what the UCF assistant dean said in his recent email. Here’s the email for reference:

REL
Doesn't that defeat the entire point of having this system? At my interview Weisman went out of his way to rant about how much he dislikes people that hold multiple acceptances longer than they realistically should because it makes his job significantly harder and isn't fair to those on waitlists at all the other schools. I just think people who use this vague wording to horde acceptances (longer than necessary) are screwing over other candidates that are still waiting. Just my two cents
 

Nrodr180

2+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2017
39
44
61
Doesn't that defeat the entire point of having this system? At my interview Weisman went out of his way to rant about how much he dislikes people that hold multiple acceptances longer than they realistically should because it makes his job significantly harder and isn't fair to those on waitlists at all the other schools. I just think people who use this vague wording to horde acceptances (longer than necessary) are screwing over other candidates that are still waiting. Just my two cents
You cant hold multiple acceptances without a valid reason. The AAMC considers needing financial aid information before making such an important decision a valid reason
 

nopenope9ee

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2016
28
13
51
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone know what the Commit to Enroll deadline is for the MD/MPH program? I'm guessing it's fairly soon given the early start date
 
Feb 24, 2018
115
107
41
Anyone know what the Commit to Enroll deadline is for the MD/MPH program? I'm guessing it's fairly soon given the early start date
Thought it was 5/15 because that’s the deadline to pay a deposit but MSAR says 6 weeks before the start state so that would be 5/10. Not sure which is right though
 

wb100

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2016
330
410
81
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Heads up, FB group has 260-ish members now, with about 40 of them being new members. I would assume:

1. WL movement
2. Applicants that remained in the fb group after withdrawing their app
3. UMiami is over accepting to 300?
 
Jun 26, 2018
95
112
41
Heads up, FB group has 260-ish members now, with about 40 of them being new members. I would assume:

1. WL movement
2. Applicants that remained in the fb group after withdrawing their app
3. UMiami is over accepting to 300?
Well, they accepted 320/540 interviewees last year. We also have to consider the amount of M1 and M2 students that are in that group for whatever reason (usually looking for someone to take their apartment).

In any case, still praying.
 
Apr 27, 2019
10
8
11
Status
Pre-Medical
does anyone know if "pretty good" is worse than "good" lol? I was given a pretty good when I asked about my chances
 
Jun 26, 2018
95
112
41
does anyone know if "pretty good" is worse than "good" lol? I was given a pretty good when I asked about my chances
i have come to the conclusion that he must have been using those two interchangeably so as to not repeat the exact same message to multiple people. very good was for someone who he knew was going to get in that following week.

this thread has one person who got good and got in and another who got pretty good and got in.

at this point, i am just hoping that if our chances are not good that he would have said that. i think he would have but who knows
 
  • Like
Reactions: Dontcallmebro
Oct 9, 2018
32
18
11
i have come to the conclusion that he must have been using those two interchangeably so as to not repeat the exact same message to multiple people. very good was for someone who he knew was going to get in that following week.

this thread has one person who got good and got in and another who got pretty good and got in.

at this point, i am just hoping that if our chances are not good that he would have said that. i think he would have but who knows

Has anyone had the balls to ask him? He said we will know closer to Apr 30th so maybe hes got an updated idea of our chances based on WL movement the last 15 days. Regardless hopefully most of us will get answers tomorrow
 
Apr 8, 2018
16
3
1
Status
Pre-Medical
Not specifically related to UM, but if I am holding 2 acceptances and I have chosen "plan to enroll" for 1 of them does that mean I need to email the other school to withdraw my acceptance or will it be automatically done for me?
 

yakarma11

2+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2016
161
193
81
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Not specifically related to UM, but if I am holding 2 acceptances and I have chosen "plan to enroll" for 1 of them does that mean I need to email the other school to withdraw my acceptance or will it be automatically done for me?
you gotta email the other school
 
  • Like
Reactions: keytonez
Apr 17, 2019
8
6
11
Status
Pre-Medical
You gotta do it before the end of tomorrow because tomorrow is traffic day.
But also, if you've already made the decision, there's no reason to not do it sooner rather than later! Just as a courtesy to people still on the waitlist and adcom's who need a better idea of their numbers for tomorrow
 
Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019
11
5
11
I just asked dr Weisman for an update on my position on waitlist and he said we will know what is happening by Friday. Is that a good sign ?
 
Jun 26, 2018
95
112
41
I just asked dr Weisman for an update on my position on waitlist and he said we will know what is happening by Friday. Is that a good sign ?
no one here would know if its good or not. it would just be conjecture at this point. i think we all need to sit tight until they know how many people they are losing tomorrow
 
Jun 20, 2018
31
21
11
Its pretty much UM vs FIU.

UM is pretty much better overall but FIU has higher step 1 scores and it would be like 80K cheaper with the 25% scholarship
I was in the same position as you until I found out from students that FIU does not include the bottom quartile when giving you the step 1 average so it's lower than what they say.
 
Feb 12, 2019
45
45
21
But also, if you've already made the decision, there's no reason to not do it sooner rather than later! Just as a courtesy to people still on the waitlist and adcom's who need a better idea of their numbers for tomorrow
Thank you for this lol. In my head, the question made me wonder if people are procrastinating as if they are treating this like some deadline for a school assignment? This trafficking deadline is already too late... it gives you no benefit to be holding multiple acceptances for even one more day, and it delays the waitlist movement for other applicants. As a doctor, you’ll have to do the right thing even if not driven by external factors
 
  • Like
Reactions: mDDm2019
Apr 17, 2019
8
6
11
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you for this lol. In my head, the question made me wonder if people are procrastinating as if they are treating this like some deadline for a school assignment? This trafficking deadline is already too late... it gives you no benefit to be holding multiple acceptances for even one more day, and it delays the waitlist movement for other applicants. As a doctor, you’ll have to do the right thing even if not driven by external factors
I totally feel that in so many ways. I withdrew my other acceptances last week, but it took me a lot of convincing to make myself do it. I think there's just a large emotional toll with the application process/ being pre-med in general so it's hard to withdraw these validations. But as someone who's also on a couple waitlists, the waiting for me is way more taxing.. and then when you stop to think about how hectic it is for adcoms, really just everyone is stressed out about this process right now.
 
Apr 29, 2019
3
0
1
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
question... what is the last time today to drop an acceptance so that one keeps only 1 acceptance?
 

Nrodr180

2+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2017
39
44
61
These are the specific traffic rules for UM I emailed Dr. Weisman today and this is what he sent me!

April 30th Rules: AAMC: - Can only hold one acceptance. Commit to Enroll (CTE) becomes available today for the first time. UM's requirement for CTE:

MD/MPH: Required by May 13, 2019 (6 weeks prior to matriculation on June 24th)
MD: Required by June 24, 2019 (6 weeks prior to matriculation on August 8th)
 
Dec 12, 2017
17
5
11
These are the specific traffic rules for UM I emailed Dr. Weisman today and this is what he sent me!

April 30th Rules: AAMC: - Can only hold one acceptance. Commit to Enroll (CTE) becomes available today for the first time. UM's requirement for CTE:

MD/MPH: Required by May 13, 2019 (6 weeks prior to matriculation on June 24th)
MD: Required by June 24, 2019 (6 weeks prior to matriculation on August 8th)

Thanks for this great info. Any idea if we are required to do anything with "Plan to Enroll" or is it just the CTE that is required?
 

Branthebuilder33

Winter is Coming
Mar 14, 2018
105
246
41
Status
Medical Student
I'm a rising MS2 MD/MPH student. Any accepted students looking for housing in South Beach. Let me know ASAP. I need a roommate.
 
Apr 22, 2019
11
5
11
Can any current md mph students explain the move to palm beach county a littler better? Do we not have the opportunity to train at Jackson memorial anymore ? That is such a good hospital and I would hate to lose a chance to train there