2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can actually hold multiple acceptances if you are waiting for fin aid at least that is what the UCF assistant dean said in his recent email.
Just checked the AAMC guidelines and I think you're right.

Members don't see this ad.

You can actually hold multiple acceptances if you are waiting for fin aid at least that is what the UCF assistant dean said in his recent email. Here’s the email for reference:

REL

Doesn't that defeat the entire point of having this system? At my interview Weisman went out of his way to rant about how much he dislikes people that hold multiple acceptances longer than they realistically should because it makes his job significantly harder and isn't fair to those on waitlists at all the other schools. I just think people who use this vague wording to horde acceptances (longer than necessary) are screwing over other candidates that are still waiting. Just my two cents

Doesn't that defeat the entire point of having this system? At my interview Weisman went out of his way to rant about how much he dislikes people that hold multiple acceptances longer than they realistically should because it makes his job significantly harder and isn't fair to those on waitlists at all the other schools. I just think people who use this vague wording to horde acceptances (longer than necessary) are screwing over other candidates that are still waiting. Just my two cents
You cant hold multiple acceptances without a valid reason. The AAMC considers needing financial aid information before making such an important decision a valid reason

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what the Commit to Enroll deadline is for the MD/MPH program? I'm guessing it's fairly soon given the early start date

Anyone know what the Commit to Enroll deadline is for the MD/MPH program? I'm guessing it's fairly soon given the early start date
Thought it was 5/15 because that’s the deadline to pay a deposit but MSAR says 6 weeks before the start state so that would be 5/10. Not sure which is right though

Heads up, FB group has 260-ish members now, with about 40 of them being new members. I would assume:

1. WL movement
2. Applicants that remained in the fb group after withdrawing their app
3. UMiami is over accepting to 300?

Reactions: 1 users
Heads up, FB group has 260-ish members now, with about 40 of them being new members. I would assume:

1. WL movement
2. Applicants that remained in the fb group after withdrawing their app
3. UMiami is over accepting to 300?

Well, they accepted 320/540 interviewees last year. We also have to consider the amount of M1 and M2 students that are in that group for whatever reason (usually looking for someone to take their apartment).

In any case, still praying.

does anyone know if "pretty good" is worse than "good" lol? I was given a pretty good when I asked about my chances

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if "pretty good" is worse than "good" lol? I was given a pretty good when I asked about my chances

i have come to the conclusion that he must have been using those two interchangeably so as to not repeat the exact same message to multiple people. very good was for someone who he knew was going to get in that following week.

this thread has one person who got good and got in and another who got pretty good and got in.

at this point, i am just hoping that if our chances are not good that he would have said that. i think he would have but who knows

Reactions: 1 user
i have come to the conclusion that he must have been using those two interchangeably so as to not repeat the exact same message to multiple people. very good was for someone who he knew was going to get in that following week.

this thread has one person who got good and got in and another who got pretty good and got in.

at this point, i am just hoping that if our chances are not good that he would have said that. i think he would have but who knows

Has anyone had the balls to ask him? He said we will know closer to Apr 30th so maybe hes got an updated idea of our chances based on WL movement the last 15 days. Regardless hopefully most of us will get answers tomorrow

Not specifically related to UM, but if I am holding 2 acceptances and I have chosen "plan to enroll" for 1 of them does that mean I need to email the other school to withdraw my acceptance or will it be automatically done for me?

Not specifically related to UM, but if I am holding 2 acceptances and I have chosen "plan to enroll" for 1 of them does that mean I need to email the other school to withdraw my acceptance or will it be automatically done for me?
you gotta email the other school

You gotta do it before the end of tomorrow because tomorrow is traffic day.

But also, if you've already made the decision, there's no reason to not do it sooner rather than later! Just as a courtesy to people still on the waitlist and adcom's who need a better idea of their numbers for tomorrow

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I just asked dr Weisman for an update on my position on waitlist and he said we will know what is happening by Friday. Is that a good sign ?

I just asked dr Weisman for an update on my position on waitlist and he said we will know what is happening by Friday. Is that a good sign ?

no one here would know if its good or not. it would just be conjecture at this point. i think we all need to sit tight until they know how many people they are losing tomorrow

Its pretty much UM vs FIU.

UM is pretty much better overall but FIU has higher step 1 scores and it would be like 80K cheaper with the 25% scholarship
I was in the same position as you until I found out from students that FIU does not include the bottom quartile when giving you the step 1 average so it's lower than what they say.

@Medattack12 What did his reply say exactly? did he tell you that you had a good chance?

Last week he said I had a “pretty good chance” and This week I emailed for an update bc I have to make scholarship decisions and he said that “I think we will know by Friday what is happening”

But also, if you've already made the decision, there's no reason to not do it sooner rather than later! Just as a courtesy to people still on the waitlist and adcom's who need a better idea of their numbers for tomorrow

Thank you for this lol. In my head, the question made me wonder if people are procrastinating as if they are treating this like some deadline for a school assignment? This trafficking deadline is already too late... it gives you no benefit to be holding multiple acceptances for even one more day, and it delays the waitlist movement for other applicants. As a doctor, you’ll have to do the right thing even if not driven by external factors

Thank you for this lol. In my head, the question made me wonder if people are procrastinating as if they are treating this like some deadline for a school assignment? This trafficking deadline is already too late... it gives you no benefit to be holding multiple acceptances for even one more day, and it delays the waitlist movement for other applicants. As a doctor, you’ll have to do the right thing even if not driven by external factors

I totally feel that in so many ways. I withdrew my other acceptances last week, but it took me a lot of convincing to make myself do it. I think there's just a large emotional toll with the application process/ being pre-med in general so it's hard to withdraw these validations. But as someone who's also on a couple waitlists, the waiting for me is way more taxing.. and then when you stop to think about how hectic it is for adcoms, really just everyone is stressed out about this process right now.

question... what is the last time today to drop an acceptance so that one keeps only 1 acceptance?

Just committed here! Excited to be a double Cane []_[]

These are the specific traffic rules for UM I emailed Dr. Weisman today and this is what he sent me!

April 30th Rules: AAMC: - Can only hold one acceptance. Commit to Enroll (CTE) becomes available today for the first time. UM's requirement for CTE:

MD/MPH: Required by May 13, 2019 (6 weeks prior to matriculation on June 24th)
MD: Required by June 24, 2019 (6 weeks prior to matriculation on August 8th)

Reactions: 2 users
These are the specific traffic rules for UM I emailed Dr. Weisman today and this is what he sent me!

April 30th Rules: AAMC: - Can only hold one acceptance. Commit to Enroll (CTE) becomes available today for the first time. UM's requirement for CTE:

MD/MPH: Required by May 13, 2019 (6 weeks prior to matriculation on June 24th)
MD: Required by June 24, 2019 (6 weeks prior to matriculation on August 8th)

Thanks for this great info. Any idea if we are required to do anything with "Plan to Enroll" or is it just the CTE that is required?

Thanks for this great info. Any idea if we are required to do anything with "Plan to Enroll" or is it just the CTE that is required?
I think that only CTE is required but im not 100% sure.

I'm a rising MS2 MD/MPH student. Any accepted students looking for housing in South Beach. Let me know ASAP. I need a roommate.

Officially accepted with a 30% scholarship!

Reactions: 4 users
friend of mine got in off the M.D. waitlist. good luck to anyone else thats still waiting to hear back!

Reactions: 2 users
Can any current md mph students explain the move to palm beach county a littler better? Do we not have the opportunity to train at Jackson memorial anymore ? That is such a good hospital and I would hate to lose a chance to train there

Just got in with a 10k scholarship!! I’m so happy y’all my dream school

Reactions: 5 users
Did you get it matched with another school?

I sent them how much the other school gave me and they gave me 30% instead of 25%. Their scholarship was pretty much double what the other school gave me

Should we be expecting a lot more waitlist movement after today?

Can any current md mph students explain the move to palm beach county a littler better? Do we not have the opportunity to train at Jackson memorial anymore ? That is such a good hospital and I would hate to lose a chance to train there
Not a current student but was accepted a while back. Basically your 3rd year you have to do it in West Palm but your 4th year you can choose whether to stay in west palm or come back and train at the UHealth system. You only have to do 1 mandatory public health rotation for 4th year in west palm at the beginning of the year (I believe they said it was 3 weeks) and then you can choose whether to stay or go back to MIA

Just got in with a 10k scholarship!! I’m so happy y’all my dream school
Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, was the scholarship merit or need-based? Also were you accepted to MD or MD/MPH program? Holding out hope that theres still scholarships going out!

Officially accepted with a 30% scholarship!
Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, was the scholarship merit or need-based? Also were you accepted to MD or MD/MPH program? Holding out hope that theres still scholarships going out!

I am MD and it was a combo of merit and diversity actually! Dean Weisman said we should be getting money back since people dropped but you can email him and ask if you got approved for a scholarship. I asked him to match mine and I got a scholarship letter two days later.

I am MD and it was a combo of merit and diversity actually! Dean Weisman said we should be getting money back since people dropped but you can email him and ask if you got approved for a scholarship. I asked him to match mine and I got a scholarship letter two days later.
Thank you! I just PM'ed you!

How can i join the Miller School of Medicine Facebook group? I recently got accepted into the MD/MPH program and I wish to talk to students who are currently in the program