2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And speaking of the scholarship form did you write the full half a page or less?

Members don't see this ad.

If Miami stratifies every applicant by rank, how are they able to balance the demographics of their class? Schools with ranked waitlists have to move down the list without deviation as specified by the LCME.

my best guess is that schools already have their target demographic mix in mind when they give out their interviews. after the dust settles in may they probably make adjustments off the final waitlist if they havent met their goal

my best guess is that schools already have their target demographic mix in mind when they give out their interviews. after the dust settles in may they probably make adjustments off the final waitlist if they havent met their goal

Based on my interview day, it seems like yes, they were keeping their desired mix in mind for invites. However, if what Dr. Gervais and the others said is true about having a master list stratified by a score for each applicant averaged over 45 people, then they may be prohibited by the LCME from deviating from this scored list. Now I’m sure they can adjust the score before the applicants themselves hear a final decision of "you’re accepted" or "you’re waitlisted", but I doubt that any editing after that is permissible. This is based on what gyngyn or some other adcom said about waitlists

Edit: clarification

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on my interview day, it seems like yes, they were keeping their desired mix in mind for invites. However, if what Dr. Gervais and the others said is true about having a master list stratified by a score for each applicant averaged over 45 people, then they may be prohibited by the LCME from deviating from this scored list. Now I’m sure they can adjust the score before the applicants themselves hear a final decision of "you’re accepted" or "you’re waitlisted", but I doubt that any editing after that is permissible. This is based on what gyngyn or some other adcom said about waitlists

Edit: clarification

yeah if they were really of the mark then i wonder if theyd just keep it that way or ignore ranks. im also wondering if the true waitlist that is formed at the end when the lowest are rejected and select people are asked to stay if that is still ranked or not.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me join the class of 2023 facebook group? I got an invite but my facebook isn't linked to that email. Thanks so much!

I'm wondering if anyone can help me join the class of 2023 facebook group? I got an invite but my facebook isn't linked to that email. Thanks so much!
you can temporarily change your FB email to the one from which you received the invite to. And after accepting the invitation and joining the group, you can go back and change back to your original FB email

Reactions: 1 users
Weisman replied to me and said my "chances of coming off of the alternate list and getting a seat this year is good. We will know more in the next few weeks as we approach April 30th." I've been on the AL since October so that would be exciting. Does anyone know what he means by sharing other acceptances/financial aid expediting the review process? Does he mean review for financial aid consideration or for acceptance?

Weisman replied to me and said my "chances of coming off of the alternate list and getting a seat this year is good. We will know more in the next few weeks as we approach April 30th." I've been on the AL since October so that would be exciting. Does anyone know what he means by sharing other acceptances/financial aid expediting the review process? Does he mean review for financial aid consideration or for acceptance?

Like we were saying, that’s doubtful because the waitlist is already ranked

Has Weisman just replied to everyone saying their chances are good? lol. Or has he told anyone here that they should make other plans?

Reactions: 1 user
lol withdrew acceptance and the dean completely butchered the spelling of my name :):

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Email and then call. I emailed the dean last week and he said my chances were "good". I had previously sent a letter of intent and told him I was holding other acceptances.

Reactions: 1 users
Email and then call. I emailed the dean last week and he said my chances were "good". I had previously sent a letter of intent and told him I was holding other acceptances.
You got the "your chances are good we'll have a better idea closer to april 30th" response? not the "very good" response that Nrodr got?

I know UM has a "6 week summer" at one point is that the month given for STEP 1 studying?

I know UM has a "6 week summer" at one point is that the month given for STEP 1 studying?
No. That six week summer is for between M1 and M2 year. You get "6 week" dedicated STEP time after M2 classes end and then begin rotations after

Does anyone know generally how long they take to evaluate the information submitted for diversity scholarship? I figure this is done before being offered an acceptance (i.e. before hearing back and/or holding an alternate status) even if they don’t yet know if an acceptance will be granted?

Just got that I have a “pretty good” chance of coming of alternate list. Anyone have any idea what this actually means

Does anyone know what the new MS1/MS2 schedule for the 2019 incoming class will look like now, given all the changes?

Did you guys get an email with your canelink info or did you have to register for a canelink ID?

Did you guys get an email with your canelink info or did you have to register for a canelink ID?
I had to call the office of admissions/IT services/office of student affairs and one of them directed me in the right direction (I can't remember). You don't want to register for an ID because you already have one. When you call, they will give you your ID and temporary password

I had to call the office of admissions/IT services/office of student affairs and one of them directed me in the right direction (I can't remember). You don't want to register for an ID because you already have one. When you call, they will give you your ID and temporary password
That is so weird I emailed admissions and she sent me a link to register for an ID. Ill try giving them a call

I got alternate list like 2 days ago if you want some drama to talk about haha. Says more acceptances will be considered for next Wednesday.
If you email him he could tell you your chances!

I just got a 25% scholarship for another school. I just got accepted earlier this week so of course I haven't heard back from Financial Aid. Should I ask them to match it? Should I wait? Id need to accept the other scholarship by May 10th so now im just conflicted because UM is my top choice but its an 80K difference :nailbiting:

I just got a 25% scholarship for another school. I just got accepted earlier this week so of course I haven't heard back from Financial Aid. Should I ask them to match it? Should I wait? Id need to accept the other scholarship by May 10th so now im just conflicted because UM is my top choice but its an 80K difference :nailbiting:
What are the pros and cons of each school lol

Its pretty much UM vs FIU.

UM is pretty much better overall but FIU has higher step 1 scores and it would be like 80K cheaper with the 25% scholarship

Its pretty much UM vs FIU.

UM is pretty much better overall but FIU has higher step 1 scores and it would be like 80K cheaper with the 25% scholarship
I interviewed at both and you cant go wrong either way. But to be honest I was hugely impressed by FIU at not only their scores but the whole change up with their program. Focusing more on clinical experience and less on the in class learning which is something I've seen a lot of schools changing towards. You cant go wrong either way but 80k is a lot in my opinion

I interviewed at both and you cant go wrong either way. But to be honest I was hugely impressed by FIU at not only their scores but the whole change up with their program. Focusing more on clinical experience and less on the in class learning which is something I've seen a lot of schools changing towards. You cant go wrong either way but 80k is a lot in my opinion

I know it is! I am a little hesitant about asking them to match it since I got accepted so recently but I would not be able to make a choice without knowing what UM offers. Are you choosing FIU?

I know it is! I am a little hesitant about asking them to match it since I got accepted so recently but I would not be able to make a choice without knowing what UM offers. Are you choosing FIU?
It doesn’t hurt just to let them know that you were offered the scholarship. The worst they can do is say they won’t match it

guys i need help. been getting really conflicting information from people. I first got a 50% scholarship from another school and then emailed Weisman to let him know. I got offered a matching 50% from UM which im super grateful and never expected. some family/friends seem to think i should tell the other school to see if they can increase their initial offer. in the rare case they offer me lets say 75% some people think i should then use that new number to negotiate with UM. i really dont think i should do that because i feel unbelievably lucky to have gotten 50% from UM. Miller was my top choice so i reallly dont wanna push it. any thoughts?
How did your word your email? Had Miller already given your a scholarship when you told them to match it?

How did your word your email? Had Miller already given your a scholarship when you told them to match it?
Also, I understand you need to have made a decision and hold only 1 acceptance by April 30th, so you might want to look into those deadlines rather than May 10th for finaid.

Also, I understand you need to have made a decision and hold only 1 acceptance by April 30th, so you might want to look into those deadlines rather than May 10th for finaid.

You can actually hold multiple acceptances if you are waiting for fin aid at least that is what the UCF assistant dean said in his recent email. Here’s the email for reference:

April 30 is arriving quickly. I wanted to provide you with some information for your consideration as we go through this process. We have determined that many programs have set their Commit To Enroll (CTE) unrealistically early, ie April 30 for late July and August matriculations. In most cases programs are not fully understanding of the process. If you find this being true and you feel that you are being forced to COMMIT too early you should:

- Go to that program’s CYMS school specific instructions to ensure that they are following their own self-determined rules. Have they set a CTE date at all?
- If their rules specify that you must select Plan To Enroll (PTE) by April 30that should not be a problem. PTE is not CTE and is only a signal that you are not ready to CTE yet. Your PTE program may ask you why not CTE but should not pressure you to CTE prior to the suggested 21 days before matriculation or in concert with their posted CYMS rules.
- Yes CAN legally hold more than one school after April 30 according to the AAMC Protocols. If a program has recently offered you a seat then you are allowed 14 days to consider that offer. Additionally if you are awaiting financial information from a program you can also continue to hold multiple offers. Finally no program knows when an offer was made to you so it may be that you have just received a recent offer and have those “14” days.

We would be happy to ensure that the AAMC is aware of programs that are:
- Pressuring you to make an early decision
- Do not have their rules for CTE/PTE/Deposits specifically identified on their web site
- Are forcing you to CTE earlier than the recommended 21 days prior to matriculation or earlier than their school specific rules define

- In any of the above we will not identify you to the AAMC

IF you have any questions Laurel and I are here.

REL