Nrodr180

2+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2017
Does anyone know about the UM April 30th rule. Is making your final choice suggested or required by that date? I am asking because I know some schools are making it optional and some are not

yakarma11

2+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Does anyone know about the UM April 30th rule. Is making your final choice suggested or required by that date? I am asking because I know some schools are making it optional and some are not
I dont know what rule you refer to, but the AAMC hard rule is to have at most 1 acceptance selected on April 30. (its also courteous for those without acceptances or on waitlists)

Reactions: wb100
May 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Did you just straight up ask in the email about your chances of getting off the waitlist? How direct were you?
Yea I straight up asked and also let him know I was still interested. He also asked me to tell him if I had other acceptances /scholarship offers

Oct 16, 2018
If Miami stratifies every applicant by rank, how are they able to balance the demographics of their class? Schools with ranked waitlists have to move down the list without deviation as specified by the LCME.

Jun 26, 2018
If Miami stratifies every applicant by rank, how are they able to balance the demographics of their class? Schools with ranked waitlists have to move down the list without deviation as specified by the LCME.
my best guess is that schools already have their target demographic mix in mind when they give out their interviews. after the dust settles in may they probably make adjustments off the final waitlist if they havent met their goal

Oct 16, 2018
my best guess is that schools already have their target demographic mix in mind when they give out their interviews. after the dust settles in may they probably make adjustments off the final waitlist if they havent met their goal
Based on my interview day, it seems like yes, they were keeping their desired mix in mind for invites. However, if what Dr. Gervais and the others said is true about having a master list stratified by a score for each applicant averaged over 45 people, then they may be prohibited by the LCME from deviating from this scored list. Now I’m sure they can adjust the score before the applicants themselves hear a final decision of "you’re accepted" or "you’re waitlisted", but I doubt that any editing after that is permissible. This is based on what gyngyn or some other adcom said about waitlists

Edit: clarification

Jun 26, 2018
Based on my interview day, it seems like yes, they were keeping their desired mix in mind for invites. However, if what Dr. Gervais and the others said is true about having a master list stratified by a score for each applicant averaged over 45 people, then they may be prohibited by the LCME from deviating from this scored list. Now I’m sure they can adjust the score before the applicants themselves hear a final decision of "you’re accepted" or "you’re waitlisted", but I doubt that any editing after that is permissible. This is based on what gyngyn or some other adcom said about waitlists

Edit: clarification
yeah if they were really of the mark then i wonder if theyd just keep it that way or ignore ranks. im also wondering if the true waitlist that is formed at the end when the lowest are rejected and select people are asked to stay if that is still ranked or not.

AmbitiousCamel

2+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm wondering if anyone can help me join the class of 2023 facebook group? I got an invite but my facebook isn't linked to that email. Thanks so much!

yakarma11

2+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2016
Status
I'm wondering if anyone can help me join the class of 2023 facebook group? I got an invite but my facebook isn't linked to that email. Thanks so much!
you can temporarily change your FB email to the one from which you received the invite to. And after accepting the invitation and joining the group, you can go back and change back to your original FB email

Jul 17, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Weisman replied to me and said my "chances of coming off of the alternate list and getting a seat this year is good. We will know more in the next few weeks as we approach April 30th." I've been on the AL since October so that would be exciting. Does anyone know what he means by sharing other acceptances/financial aid expediting the review process? Does he mean review for financial aid consideration or for acceptance?

Oct 16, 2018
Weisman replied to me and said my "chances of coming off of the alternate list and getting a seat this year is good. We will know more in the next few weeks as we approach April 30th." I've been on the AL since October so that would be exciting. Does anyone know what he means by sharing other acceptances/financial aid expediting the review process? Does he mean review for financial aid consideration or for acceptance?
Like we were saying, that’s doubtful because the waitlist is already ranked

Oct 2, 2018
Email and then call. I emailed the dean last week and he said my chances were "good". I had previously sent a letter of intent and told him I was holding other acceptances.

Reactions: Epyon and ojgator
Oct 9, 2018
Email and then call. I emailed the dean last week and he said my chances were "good". I had previously sent a letter of intent and told him I was holding other acceptances.
You got the "your chances are good we'll have a better idea closer to april 30th" response? not the "very good" response that Nrodr got?

yakarma11

2+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2016
Status
I know UM has a "6 week summer" at one point is that the month given for STEP 1 studying?
No. That six week summer is for between M1 and M2 year. You get "6 week" dedicated STEP time after M2 classes end and then begin rotations after

Feb 12, 2019
Does anyone know generally how long they take to evaluate the information submitted for diversity scholarship? I figure this is done before being offered an acceptance (i.e. before hearing back and/or holding an alternate status) even if they don’t yet know if an acceptance will be granted?

Apr 8, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know what the new MS1/MS2 schedule for the 2019 incoming class will look like now, given all the changes?

Reactions: yakarma11
Dec 14, 2018
Did you guys get an email with your canelink info or did you have to register for a canelink ID?
I had to call the office of admissions/IT services/office of student affairs and one of them directed me in the right direction (I can't remember). You don't want to register for an ID because you already have one. When you call, they will give you your ID and temporary password

Nrodr180

2+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2017
I had to call the office of admissions/IT services/office of student affairs and one of them directed me in the right direction (I can't remember). You don't want to register for an ID because you already have one. When you call, they will give you your ID and temporary password
That is so weird I emailed admissions and she sent me a link to register for an ID. Ill try giving them a call

Nrodr180

2+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2017
I just got a 25% scholarship for another school. I just got accepted earlier this week so of course I haven't heard back from Financial Aid. Should I ask them to match it? Should I wait? Id need to accept the other scholarship by May 10th so now im just conflicted because UM is my top choice but its an 80K difference :nailbiting: