2018-2019 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any interview tips from those accepted?

Got the acceptance call earlier today!!! :wow:Interviewed 10/26

Mainly just be yourself and try not to sound rehearsed! My interviewers here asked me quite a few questions I never would have thought to prepare for (they weren't hard questions, just require you to be comfortable and think on the spot). They mostly just want to see you are human! When I needed time to come up with an answer, I just asked the interviewer for a few seconds and that worked out fine. Finally, it seems like a lot of people were asked about the state of healthcare/ general healthcare ethics, so brushing up on those things could be useful :).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Any interview tips from those accepted?

Overall impression I had is that the interview is very relaxed (even though my heart was racing at the start). Biggest thing I'd say, as cliche as it is, "just be yourself". Being able to calm nerves will go a long way. If your written application matches how you are in person, then you should just talk candidly. If you have prepared for the typical interview questions, then you are appropriately prepared "tell me about yourself, why medicine, why keck etc." It was extremely conversational, be prepared with questions to ask, as well as come up with questions based on how your conversation goes (interview was about 50% me talking 50% them, probably a little more them than me.) N=1, but I'm a below average stat applicant for Keck, and don't have any particularly outstanding ECs, I just talked genuinely about my experiences, showed interested in medicine and keck, and it worked.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Could I PM a couple current students who either
1) Live(d) in Currie Hall
2) Have tried to live in Currie Hall, but was unsuccessful due to occupancy being filled
3) Almost lived in Currie Hall (signed a lease), but decided not to

Thanks in advance!

pre-II R today submitted secondary in late sep

II today! Complete late-August, LM 71

A complete shock this late in the game, but a very welcome one!

EDIT: Dates available last week of Feb

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Overall impression I had is that the interview is very relaxed (even though my heart was racing at the start). Biggest thing I'd say, as cliche as it is, "just be yourself". Being able to calm nerves will go a long way. If your written application matches how you are in person, then you should just talk candidly. If you have prepared for the typical interview questions, then you are appropriately prepared "tell me about yourself, why medicine, why keck etc." It was extremely conversational, be prepared with questions to ask, as well as come up with questions based on how your conversation goes (interview was about 50% me talking 50% them, probably a little more them than me.) N=1, but I'm a below average stat applicant for Keck, and don't have any particularly outstanding ECs, I just talked genuinely about my experiences, showed interested in medicine and keck, and it worked.

Sounds like the interview went well for you! Are both interviews closed-file?

Congrats to everyone who got accepted!!

Does anyone know when they stop interviewing?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else complete since mid July and hasn’t heard back?

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats to everyone who got accepted!!

Does anyone know when they stop interviewing?

I called last week: they said they interview until early March, and they're still sending out IIs. No news is good news, but IIs would also be good news, haha. Hang in there, fellow people of the silent party!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that have been accepted, have you received any information on financial aid yet? They didn't talk about financial aid at all during my interview, so trying to get a sense of when we will get that information if I am accepted.

Complete 08/20 but my app is still under review. I don't know what to think at this point.

For those that have been accepted, have you received any information on financial aid yet? They didn't talk about financial aid at all during my interview, so trying to get a sense of when we will get that information if I am accepted.

The only info I got was in the paperwork they gave us on interview day and the 2 admissions emails they've sent us. Haven't received anything in the mail

Reactions: 1 users
Could I PM a couple current students who either
1) Live(d) in Currie Hall
2) Have tried to live in Currie Hall, but was unsuccessful due to occupancy being filled
3) Almost lived in Currie Hall (signed a lease), but decided not to

Thanks in advance!

Just thought I'd bump this message, my apologies for the additional thread notification

Interviewed last wednesday. Hoping work will distract me enough so I can stop worrying about it. No such luck so far :(

Have any of the accepted students heard anything from usc post-acceptance?

I’ve heard nothing. I know we were supposed to be invitied to some Facebook group

Reactions: 1 users
Have any of the accepted students heard anything from usc post-acceptance?

I’ve heard nothing. I know we were supposed to be invitied to some Facebook group
I haven't heard anything either.

Just checked portal and no updates there. Anyone know if they change the portal before calling? We're supposed to get the call tomorrow!

Operation staring at my phone all day begins now

Accepted by phone call! Interviewed late November!

Reactions: 10 users
Accepted!!! Interviewed last week!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted, also interviewed recently. Dream come true!

Reactions: 6 users
I keep hoping that maybe they'll make a decision on my application before Christmas lol

Do they tell you at the interview exactly when they will meet next and decide on your future? I have an interview on 1/23.
They did for us.

Anyone who was accepted in a previous week know how long it takes to get info for the FB group and such?

Nobody has gotten facebook invite yet :/
Just outta curiosity, what's so special about this Facebook invite? I don't remember hearing anything about it during my interview or anything from the email/phone call

Just outta curiosity, what's so special about this Facebook invite? I don't remember hearing anything about it during my interview or anything from the email/phone call

There should be something about it in one of the attachments to your acceptance email, and in the body of your acceptance confirmation email. It just says that we should join and will receive an invite...

As for what’s special about it- I think people are just excited to network with and get to know other accepted students!

Has anyone else who interviewed on 12/5 not heard anything yet? The dean said she would call for acceptances but I am not sure if she said anything about emailing about the waitlist. I haven't heard anything thus far. Thanks!