2018-2019 University of Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody have any idea at all of how many Idaho acceptances have been given out (roughly)? It seems like there are quite a few acceptances that will be going out this Wed/Thurs before we get waitlists/rejections on Friday.

So the FB group is at 68. I assume that means at least like 75 acceptances are out. Can someone remind me what the full class size is?

Anxious time all. Will be staring at my phone for probably all of Wednesday and Thursday.

Not all of those are acceptances, likely includes administrators and upperclassmen

Members don't see this ad.

Full class size is 125 if I remember correctly.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm waitlisted at University of Washington so it would be nice to have an acceptance and know I won't have to do this again. Best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Not all of those are acceptances, likely includes administrators and upperclassmen

Of course, but there are definitely plenty of people who don't use Facebook or just haven't joined the group.

Also, it's specifically for the class of 23 if I remember correctly, so there are no upperclassmen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course, but there are definitely plenty of people who don't use Facebook or just haven't joined the group.

Also, it's specifically for the class of 23 if I remember correctly, so there are no upperclassmen.

I’m sure that upperclassmen serving in student gov and other leadership roles are in there. That how it is in other schools’ FBs, I would be surprised if it isn’t the same here.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m sure that upperclassmen serving in student gov and other leadership roles are in there. That how it is in other schools’ FBs, I would be surprised if it isn’t the same here.
I really hope it’s something like that. Just talked to my friend who was accepted in November—he didn’t even know there was a Facebook page until I mentioned it today. Apparently you only see it when you log back into your secondaries or something like that? Either way, he said that he had to look for it, and that there are probably other accepted individuals who just haven’t known about it.

I really am rooting for all of you. I was in your position last year (most of you), know how most of you feel, and think about you all often. I really hope to see all of you up on the hill! Keep your head up!

Reactions: 6 users
I just got another sales call from Salt Lake City, this is torture!

I don't even live in Utah, my app claims Utah but, I'm in Georgia and my phone number is from Massachusetts which makes me feel even worse about it, idk why they keep calling me!

Reactions: 3 users
How is everyone processing their position right now? I don’t know if I should even hold out hope for them to make any calls tomorrow—or if I should just accept an imminent rejection. How much of a chance do ya’ll think we have of getting an acceptance at this point?

Reactions: 2 users
How is everyone processing their position right now? I don’t know if I should even hold out hope for them to make any calls tomorrow—or if I should just accept an imminent rejection. How much of a chance do ya’ll think we have of getting an acceptance at this point?

I have a pretty strong feeling I'll be on the alternate list. Hoping and praying to the old gods AND the new for a call tomorrow.. Based on the # of people in the FB group I think Dr. Chan will be making plenty of calls over the next couple days.

Guys I'm so so proud of you all for making it this far! Just take pride in the fact that you're so passionate about this dream and that you've put in so much work. No matter what happens I know all of you will make great doctors! Just stay calm and try and distract yourself and have fun over the next few days. Whatever happens happens and life will find a way to make sure you achieve this!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just checked my email from last year when I applied and interviewed at the U and they sent me a rejection on March 16th so I'm guessing if we don't hear back by the 15th, it'll be a rejection.

To be honest, they probably have already filled the class before March 1st, just like last year, and we are all destined for the WL or a rejection.

To be honest, they probably have already filled the class before March 1st, just like last year, and we are all destined for the WL or a rejection.

I highly doubt the class is filled with only 68 in the FB group. Keep holding out hope... It's not over yet!

I highly doubt the class is filled with only 68 in the FB group. Keep holding out hope... It's not over yet!
I literally just received the rejection a moment ago Haha. Good luck everyone.

Just received my rejection. Good luck to the rest of you!! My heart especially goes out to @dapperdoc I’m so sorry!!

Y’all are making my stomach sink :/ thanks for keeping us updated...

I second this... I'm sorry everyone. Didn't hear anything yet, but I'm an Idaho res. so I don't know if that means anything as it seems they maybe just sent in state rejections today. Thanks for being willing to post on here and keep us all updated. This process is awful.

A friend in my lab group just got the rejection email. Also, Match Day is Friday and Utah's administration closes their offices, so I would bet all decisions will be made by Thursday.

Got the R but wasn’t going to come here anyways so jokes on them

Have any oos people heard anything from January interviews?

How is the "R "email? are they directing you to the application site? what does the subject say?

Email subject: Application Status

“The University of Utah School of Medicine has completed its selection of the class of 2023. Unfortunately, your application is no longer under active consideration. You should not interpret the committee's decision as an indication that you are not qualified to enter medical school and become a good physician. This decision merely reflects the fact that more candidates apply than we can admit.”

Then it says to talk to our advisors about improving our application if we decide to reapply.

Got the R but wasn’t going to come here anyways so jokes on them

Hahahaha, that's awesome! Lol but, hopefully that was the last of the rejections for the cycle and now they just have waitlists and acceptances to give to the rest of us. Sorry to those who didn't get in, I know how much that can suck from when it happened to me last year. The U is one of the nice programs that actually tells you what you can do to improve your app next year which is very helpful. If no where else accepts you, don't give up! I'll be applying for my third year if I don't get accepted somewhere this cycle.

Hahahaha, that's awesome! Lol but, hopefully that was the last of the rejections for the cycle and now they just have waitlists and acceptances to give to the rest of us. Sorry to those who didn't get in, I know how much that can suck from when it happened to me last year. The U is one of the nice programs that actually tells you what you can do to improve your app next year which is very helpful. If no where else accepts you, don't give up! I'll be applying for my third year if I don't get accepted somewhere this cycle.
You said that they’ll tell you how you can improve your app...how can you find that out? Do you call them and just ask?

Dr. Chan posted this on the admission’s Facebook page two hours ago:

Hello everyone,

Final notifications are being sent out this week (accepted, alternate list, or not accepted). It was an extremely competitive process this year with 3850 applications for 125 positions. I know many of you will be personally disappointed (or have friends and loved ones receiving bad news). This, in no way, is a reflection upon your (or their) ability to become a physician, but more of a fact that we have far too many qualified applicants than we have available positions.

Dr. Chan

Dr. Chan posted this on the admission’s Facebook page two hours ago:

Hello everyone,

Final notifications are being sent out this week (accepted, alternate list, or not accepted). It was an extremely competitive process this year with 3850 applications for 125 positions. I know many of you will be personally disappointed (or have friends and loved ones receiving bad news). This, in no way, is a reflection upon your (or their) ability to become a physician, but more of a fact that we have far too many qualified applicants than we have available positions.

Dr. Chan

Last year a note with similar wording appeared on the FB page right before waitlists and rejections were released. That note made no mention of acceptances, though, and this year we've also seen rejections go out before the note from Dr. Chan. Make of it what you will.

Just got rejected. Someone messaged me asking what I did to improve my application from when I interviewed last year so I figured I would post it here so anyone else interested could see it.
-increased MCAT by 10 points
-graduated
- continued to be a program director for an at risk youth program for a semester
-volunteered for other random things like freshman orientation
-added another 30-50ish physician shadowing hours
-Got a job as a biochemist at the Center for Disease Control and have now worked 8 months there
- was one of 3 students at BYU (which including grad students has around 30,000+) chosen to win an award for outstanding volunteer work in the community/world where they honored me at a pep rally, threw a private banquet in my honor with the Pres of the university, and engraved my name into a plaque at the student center
and last year after they rejected me they told me that I interview very well.

I did everything they told me to on the post-rejection comments and more. Idk what in the world I could have done better. If they already liked me enough to interview me last year and on top of that I added all of this, I feel like I definitely should have been accepted or at least waitlisted.

Reactions: 8 users
Just got the rejection an hour ago. Interviewed in October so it’s been a nice 7 month wait... Was at least expecting alternate list for them dragging me along all this time. Hope some of you have better news to share.

Just got the rejection an hour ago. Interviewed in October so it’s been a nice 7 month wait... Was at least expecting alternate list for them dragging me along all this time. Hope some of you have better news to share.

Got the r a little bit ago as well, also interviewed in october. Pretty disappointed tbh, but grateful to have an acceptance

Are they sending any acceptances or just rejections today???

Are they sending out rejections based on interview date? Like has anyone who got a rejection interviewed in Dec/Jan/Feb for example?

Just got rejected. Someone messaged me asking what I did to improve my application from when I interviewed last year so I figured I would post it here so anyone else interested could see it.
-increased MCAT by 10 points
-graduated
- continued to be a program director for an at risk youth program for a semester
-volunteered for other random things like freshman orientation
-added another 30-50ish physician shadowing hours
-Got a job as a biochemist at the Center for Disease Control and have now worked 8 months there
- was one of 3 students at BYU (which including grad students has around 30,000+) chosen to win an award for outstanding volunteer work in the community/world where they honored me at a pep rally, threw a private banquet in my honor with the Pres of the university, and engraved my name into a plaque at the student center
and last year after they rejected me they told me that I interview very well.

I did everything they told me to on the post-rejection comments and more. Idk what in the world I could have done better. If they already liked me enough to interview me last year and on top of that I added all of this, I feel like I definitely should have been accepted or at least waitlisted.

Dang, sorry man. I would be just as equally confused and frustrated. What did you do afterwards to get all of your post-rejection comments? I saw in the rejection email that it primarily said to counsel with your academic advisor and they would be willing to assist, or something like that, but did you talk to anyone in particular to get that feedback?

Another guy in my lab just got a rejection email. This anticipation is brutal.

Sorry about the disappointing news... I’m anticipating that as well. Can I ask when you interviewed in October?

Alright, big today today if the office is closed tomorrow. Good luck everyone!

I just got into the md phd alternative list. Any ideas of the chances of getting in?