2018-2019 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have people gotten a ton of other secondaries though? I think my application is taking forever to get verified since its peak application time.

Yes I’m literally only waiting on this one and Mayo.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, speak of the devil. Secondary received just now.

Received OOR mission statement request. Love this school and its mission, so I'm hoping for a chance at a secondary here!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, what is that??
Based on previous years, it looks like they send OOR applicants a pre-secondary prompt. The prompt is, "How do your experiences match the mission and values of the University of Washington School of Medicine?" They use that along with your primary to consider whether you receive the secondary.

Reactions: 1 users
Glad they're getting sent out! Can someone please post the prompts :) ?
They're available on the UW website. They're one of the few schools that actually has a very helpful website!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Glad they're getting sent out! Can someone please post the prompts :) ?
UW's website is so super helpful. But here it is!

The following are required in the Secondary Application:
  1. An autobiographical statement which should include (250 word limit)
    • the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician
    • your prior experiences in health care
    • steps taken to explore a career in medicine
    • your eventual goals as a physician
    • personal attributes that would make you a good physician
    Please do not repeat what you wrote in your AMCAS Personal Comments (this will already be on file with our office). If you have already covered all of the above topics in your AMCAS application, use this space to let the Admissions Committee know who you are in addition to being someone who wants to be a physician.

2. 4 additional short essays (250 word limit each)
    • How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician?
    • What perspectives or experiences do you bring that would enrich the class?
    • What obstacles have you experienced and how have you overcome them?
    • How have societal inequities in the U.S. affected you or patients you have worked with?
    For re-applicants: From your most recent application until now, how have you strengthened your application?
    If you applied and were not offered an interview.

I am an OOR applicant and I received an email yesterday saying they had received my primary application and will now review it, but I was never sent an email about an OOR pre-secondary form.

I am an OOR applicant and I received an email yesterday saying they had received my primary application and will now review it, but I was never sent an email about an OOR pre-secondary form.
I haven't even received that email yet, I wonder if it means anything

Any MSTP applicants here? I'm kinda tripped up on whether I can repeat stuff for their "describe your research experience" part of the prelim app. It seems like I've already written about it so many times, I have nothing new to add :(

Just got the pre-secondary mission statement prompt!! I am so excited, here's hoping for the secondary soon!

Does everyone that’s oor get a presecondary? This too much, haha

Received pre-secondary request just now! OOS. Anyone know how long they take to decide whether you get a secondary after you submit this essay?

What is this pre-secondary garbage? Are you kidding me right now...

What is this pre-secondary garbage? Are you kidding me right now...
It's a punishment for the jerks who won't leave UW for the poor WWAMI students who have so few possible seats already lol

(In case it's not obvious, I'm kidding. Mostly. Kinda. Not really).

(OK I'm really kidding).

HIV testing at a free clinic for about 1.5 years at 150-200 hours. LGBT+ youth center for trans/non binary/queer youth since sept and 140 hours. Mentor to LGBT undergraduate student for the past year. Was afraid to do any type of that stuff when I was in the closet up until end of sophomore year (I grew up in a rural conservative area that was pretty homophobic so coming out was terrifying). And my goal is to decrease LGBT+ healthcare disparities and help integrate more LGBT+ health topics in medical curriculum. Outside of those things, I have 50-100 hours as a scribe at a free clinic for people without health insurance. I wish all of this stuff was more long term and Im continuing it during my gap year but stuff like the youth center had a minimum age so I had to wait to volunteer.

I would definitely talk about this stuff in your pre secondary, especially LGBTQ outreach and maybe about your experience in a rural community and how LGBTQ youth in those rural conservative areas need to feel like they have a place to go (WWAMI is pretty rural conservative, so this is very relevant). I do think it sounds like you fit with their mission, you just have to make sure that you make that clear.

Yeah, I just got an email saying my app is complete. Now the waiting begins

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

do we have to do anything to indicate we have registered for CASPER?

Did you mark UW as a school for transmission on the Casper site?
I did, and I also have a release date that's passed with no acknowledgement from UW that they've received my score. I'm guessing they have to input the score manually and just haven't gotten around to that yet.

I did, and I also have a release date that's passed with no acknowledgement from UW that they've received my score. I'm guessing they have to input the score manually and just haven't gotten around to that yet.

Yah could be. If it’s been a while since the score release I’d email just to double check but if not then it wouldn’t hurt to wait

Any MSTP applicants here? I'm kinda tripped up on whether I can repeat stuff for their "describe your research experience" part of the prelim app. It seems like I've already written about it so many times, I have nothing new to add :(
I just called the MSTP application office saying that I had all of my research experience listed on my primary activities section. She acknowledged that you have to fill that section out, said that "we look at your primary AMCAS app and the preliminary application side-by-side", and said that it was okay if we just wrote the title of the experience, said where it was, what dates we did it, and said "more information in AMCAS primary".

does UW send secondaries based on the order they receive the primary?

does UW send secondaries based on the order they receive the primary?

Not necessarily. I believe it is 1 computer screen and then 2-3 people look at your app (one of them I believe is your Excom) and then if they see fit, they will give you a secondary. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe I got this from Tietz’s presentation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have any idea to the level of detail they want for the research and clinical experiences on their preliminary MSTP application?

Just received my rejection email :( OOR, LM 65-70, Mission Statement complete 7/20
Stings a lot considering how much time I've spent flying out to Seattle and how strongly I wrote that I plan to live in the area to practice (I even have the skyline tatted on me), but maybe I'll get there for residency!
Good luck with the rest of the cycle everyone!

Just received my rejection email :( OOR, LM 65-70, Mission Statement complete 7/20
Stings a lot considering how much time I've spent flying out to Seattle and how strongly I wrote that I plan to live in the area to practice (I even have the skyline tatted on me), but maybe I'll get there for residency!
Dang I submitted around that time. Sorry to hear. Im sure mine is coming soon. I dont think they send secondaries to many OOR peeps unfortunately

Hey, I know how that feels. But if you really feel like you want to attend this school. I'd suggest you to email them and restate your interest and list out some reasons why you feel like you should be allowed at least a chance to interview, despite being OOR. Maybe your reader just didn't get the sense of your mission fitting with UW or your passion for the region. This is def not guaranteed, but I highly suggest it!