2018-2019 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still no secondary....submitted mission statement 2 weeks ago

Members don't see this ad.

anyone with a status that says casper hasn't been scheduled but application is ready?

Members don't see this ad :)
So for those of you who haven't written your pre-secondaries yet; I personally thought it was best to talk about my own diversity in my background also- because part of their mission talks about creating a diverse group of individuals who help the underserved and have passion in academic science as well. So bring all 3 of these and any ties to that region if you can (although 250 words is hard to fit everything in)

Reactions: 1 user
So for those of you who haven't written your pre-secondaries yet; I personally thought it was best to talk about my own diversity in my background also- because part of their mission talks about creating a diverse group of individuals who help the underserved and have passion in academic science as well. So bring all 3 of these and any ties to that region if you can (although 250 words is hard to fit everything in)

Solid advice. I also recommend everyone to go watch Dr. Carol Teitz’s admission videos on the UW admissions website. They are long, but so helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solid advice. I also recommend everyone to go watch Dr. Carol Teitz’s admission videos on the UW admissions website. They are long, but so helpful.

Speaking of which, the second forum is this coming Thursday, focused on the Interview! You can sign up to watch the webinar live here:
Advice for Prospective Students | UW Medicine

I watched the first forum and found it really helpful, I strongly recommend everyone interested in UW watch this if you can!

Just got the rejection email post mission statement :whistle:

Is anyone else having trouble typing anything into the mission statement box? Like technical difficulties

IS secondary submitted! Feels a lot better submitting this now as opposed to how late I was the last cycle. For those who have done CASPer what should I expect? Do you need to do any prep beforehand?

those who were rejected post secondary when did you guys submit it?

Members don't see this ad :)
IS secondary submitted! Feels a lot better submitting this now as opposed to how late I was the last cycle. For those who have done CASPer what should I expect? Do you need to do any prep beforehand?

Not much you can prepare for. I just searched for a practice test just so I could see the format. But besides that you should be fine by just taking the test without any other prep. Just make sure to answer all the questions and don't worry about spelling/grammar since it doesn't count against you.

OOR secondary received (post pre-secondary request)!

Ouch just got rejected pre-secondary (MSTP program). Completed the pre-lim app 7/26 My rejection came via snail mail! About had a heart attack when I saw a letter from University of Washington.

Ouch just got rejected pre-secondary (MSTP program). Completed the pre-lim app 7/26 My rejection came via snail mail! About had a heart attack when I saw a letter from University of Washington.
By pre-secondary, do you mean preliminary app? I swear I am not being nit-picky, lol. I am asking because a lot of OOR people here have said they received a pre-secondary where you had to explain your ties to the region. I was/am under the impression this was just for MD-only applicants; I never received a pre-secondary, that's for sure. I filled out the preliminary app online and then received a secondary app. So, anyway, I am asking just to make sure I did not miss anything :)

Rejected Wednesday night after no contact except contact that they had received my primary. Was not given the chance/opportunity to fill out any mission statement for them or such.

OOS
514 MCAT
4.0 sGPA
3.99 cGPA

Crushed :( They were my #1 school!

By pre-secondary, do you mean preliminary app? I swear I am not being nit-picky, lol. I am asking because a lot of OOR people here have said they received a pre-secondary where you had to explain your ties to the region. I was/am under the impression this was just for MD-only applicants; I never received a pre-secondary, that's for sure. I filled out the preliminary app online and then received a secondary app. So, anyway, I am asking just to make sure I did not miss anything :)

Ah. Semantics. Rejected after I filled out the preliminary app online, prior to being sent a secondary application.

"A status update will be mailed to the address provided on your MSTP application."

That means rejection, doesn't it???

I haven’t either and I didn’t know that was a thing?
If they feel that you may not fit the criteria to be considered a resident, they will send a verification request. The request is nothing to worry about if you fit the criteria, though!

MSTP II as well. I spoke with the director at a recruiting event a few weeks prior though. He summed up their MSTP process for me. They get about 500-600 initial applications. After 2 reviews by 2 separate committee members, 150 get secondaries. Of those 150, about 60 will interview. That should help give you an idea where you stand if you are in the MSTP process right now. Like Lucca said, interviews range from January to late February, so there is plenty of time if you are still in the running.

Reactions: 4 users
MSTP II as well. I spoke with the director at a recruiting event a few weeks prior though. He summed up their MSTP process for me. They get about 500-600 initial applications. After 2 reviews by 2 separate committee members, 150 get secondaries. Of those 150, about 60 will interview. That should help give you an idea where you stand if you are in the MSTP process right now. Like Lucca said, interviews range from January to late February, so there is plenty of time if you are still in the running.
I took Casper on 7/8 and submitted preliminary app 7/15. Haven't heard anything yet but the status has the ominous, "A status update will be mailed to the address provided on your MSTP application." Do you think my late Casper has anything to do with the delay or am I out of the running?

Did he mention how many/what percent of those interviewed get accepted? It seems like they do a significant portion of the selection pre-interview (I could be wrong, though -- I just had the impression that most MSTP programs interview many more than 60 people). This makes me think they would have a fairly high post-interview acceptance rate. Interestingly, their website cites 45 interviews and a matriculated class of 10-12. I don't know how many more acceptances there are than matriculants for UWash MSTP (or MSTPs in general, for that matter), though.

I took Casper on 7/8 and submitted preliminary app 7/15. Haven't heard anything yet but the status has the ominous, "A status update will be mailed to the address provided on your MSTP application." Do you think my late Casper has anything to do with the delay or am I out of the running?
No because they don't use CASPer to evaluate you. It seems like it's just a guinea pig year with CASPer and they want you to have registered and taken it before the interview but don't use it to make a decision.

No because they don't use CASPer to evaluate you. It seems like it's just a guinea pig year with CASPer and they want you to have registered and taken it before the interview but don't use it to make a decision.
Shoot. Well I'm not counting myself out yet, but it's looking pretty bleak. Thanks for the response.

Has anyone IS received a residency verification request yet?

Yeah, I received one pretty quickly after filling out the form regarding residency. I am definitely a resident, so I'm not worried about it, but I'm a little annoyed because it delays the review of my application 4-6 weeks while they verify my residency.

anyone else OOS still waiting for pre-secondary response? sent mine in 7/27

OOR and just got an outright rejection from UW without a pre-secondary (3.78 GPA, 523 MCAT). My SO of 7 years has just gotten a full-time job offer in the area and this was one of my first choices -- is there any way of appealing for a secondary?

Reactions: 1 users
OOR and just got an outright rejection from UW without a pre-secondary (3.78 GPA, 523 MCAT). My SO of 7 years has just gotten a full-time job offer in the area and this was one of my first choices -- is there any way of appealing for a secondary?
IMO, if you got a rejection, then you've got nothing to lose by sending them an email! having said that, I am not sure it would do anything. I would reach out to them and explain why they are your first choice, and see what happens! I really don't see how it could hurt at this point :)

I would definitely email since you didn't even get a pre-secondary, maybe it was an error.

anyone else OOS still waiting for pre-secondary response? sent mine in 7/27
I submitted my pre-secondary same day! I'm thinking we might hear something back by Friday based on other people who submitted before us, or maybe next week sometime.

Got my MSTP rejection letter in the mail today, dated 8/6.

IS, 3.78, 519

Submitted MSTP supplemental 7/23