2018-2019 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received my rejection email :( OOR, LM 65-70, Mission Statement complete 7/20
Stings a lot considering how much time I've spent flying out to Seattle and how strongly I wrote that I plan to live in the area to practice (I even have the skyline tatted on me), but maybe I'll get there for residency!
Good luck with the rest of the cycle everyone!

So sorry to hear that! UW is also my number 1 school, but I haven't heard anything from them yet, not even the OOR pre-secondary, so I feel like I'll get the same email sometime soon :(

Members don't see this ad.

Have any other OOR residents heard anything new yet? Submitted mine 7/22

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
OOR hoping to get a secondary :nailbiting: Submitted primary 7/25 and Pre-Secondary submitted 7/26

Received OOR mission statement request just now. Verified 7/23

Members don't see this ad :)
MSTP (OOR) Secondary received
Is it the same questions as the MD program listed on their website? I talked to someone who applied last year and did not have to fill out additional essays after the pre-application.

Sry, I got the presecondary email I was confused
Ah I had the same confusion probably around the same time you got your message. Hopefully they get the MSTP secondary out soon. I'm not too stressed yet. Not even August yet!

Ah I had the same confusion probably around the same time you got your message. Hopefully they get the MSTP secondary out soon. I'm not too stressed yet. Not even August yet!

Yah the MSTP interviews at this school won’t start until January so it’ll probably be a while before we hear any substantial news

Yah the MSTP interviews at this school won’t start until January so it’ll probably be a while before we hear any substantial news
I got the email acknowledging my MSTP application 7/26, but I had already submitted the pre-secondary 7/24. Perhaps because I jumped the gun, the turnaround was quick and they sent me a secondary invite 7/25. But since a lot of applicants likely are submitting with the email notification, the turnaround time may take a little longer.

For reference, the prompts are below:
  • Optional autobiographical statement (no limit?): Use this opportunity to provide any autobiographical information which you feel would be helpful for the MSTP office.
  • Optional current activities statement (no limit?): If you are not currently enrolled in coursework (nor planning to be enrolled throughout the application process), please describe your activities in this period.
  • Section to fill out premed course requirements. (This is a personal note, but be sure to double check the humanities course requirement on the website. They may be a bit more stringent than assumed.)
  • Some boxes to check

Reactions: 1 user
Also got OOR rejection email :( UW is kind of my dream, though... does anyone know if appeals ever work/how to file one?

Does anybody even know how many secondaries they send? Seems like a LOT of people are getting rejected pre secondary and their site says 7000 OOR people applied. Wonder if its 1/3 kinda like the UCs

OOR received rejection pre secondary / post mission statement today. Sad :(

mission statement submitted 7/19

Strong ties to region going back centuries in every direction possible but my own current residence.

What did the rejection email say?

The Admissions Committee for the University of Washington School of Medicine has completed its preliminary review of your application. As an out-of-region candidate, you did not meet the criteria for further consideration to the MD program.

Please know that as a public institution, we have a strong preference for applicants from the WWAMI region (those with legal residence in Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho.) This means that it is significantly more competitive to gain admission as an out-of-region applicant.

We thank you for your interest in our School of Medicine, and wish you the best of luck on the rest of the application cycle
.​

Does anybody even know how many secondaries they send? Seems like a LOT of people are getting rejected pre secondary and their site says 7000 OOR people applied. Wonder if its 1/3 kinda like the UCs

I think I read somewhere where 80% IS students receive a secondary. But I could have subconsciously made that number up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the email acknowledging my MSTP application 7/26, but I had already submitted the pre-secondary 7/24. Perhaps because I jumped the gun, the turnaround was quick and they sent me a secondary invite 7/25. But since a lot of applicants likely are submitting with the email notification, the turnaround time may take a little longer.
I submitted my presecondary the day it came out and I still haven't heard anything. Are you IS, by chance?

Anyone else have their portal saying no casper even though scores are sent off?

Reactions: 1 users
does the presecondary apply to MSTP only applicants...? I submitted prelim and supplementary, never got anything called presecondary o.e

I think I read somewhere where 80% IS students receive a secondary. But I could have subconsciously made that number up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just got the axe despite a couple people at UW thinking I perfectly fit the mission statement :( womp womp

Just submitted my OOR statement, all these OOR rejections are making me very nervous :unsure:

OOR and received the secondary invitation last night. I submitted the pre-secondary/mission statement on July 23rd, after receiving it on the 20th. I am a current Peace Corps Volunteer and have a lot of volunteer experience with underserved populations in the states.
LizzyM Score: 68
I also have family in Washington and indicated that I am interested in settling there.

Good luck to all!

OOR and received the secondary invitation last night. I submitted the pre-secondary/mission statement on July 23rd, after receiving it on the 20th. I am a current Peace Corps Volunteer and have a lot of volunteer experience with underserved populations in the states.
LizzyM Score: 68
I also have family in Washington and indicated that I am interested in settling there.

Good luck to all!
Congrats! You seem like the first so far

If you don't mind sharing your stats, please.
Kinda surprised rejections coming out already.
LM around 68. Disadvantaged background and LGBT with lots of service to underserved and a mission to decrease healthcare marginalization.

For people that got past the pre secondary, how did you approach it?

Is it a why our school question?

For people that got past the pre secondary, how did you approach it?

Is it a why our school question?

I recommend directly addressing the things in their mission statement. Explain how your experiences have shown a commitment to those values and how, even as an OOR applicant, you will be fulfilling their mission.

Their 2 goals, as listed in their mission statement:
"Meeting the health care needs of our region, especially by recognizing the importance of primary care and
providing service to underserved populations; advancing knowledge and assuming leadership in the
biomedical sciences and in academic medicine."

You mean the presecondary question? I just wrote about some personal background stuff. Very general
I recommend directly addressing the things in their mission statement. Explain how your experiences have shown a commitment to those values and how, even as an OOR applicant, you will be fulfilling their mission.

Their 2 goals, as listed in their mission statement:
"Meeting the health care needs of our region, especially by recognizing the importance of primary care and
providing service to underserved populations; advancing knowledge and assuming leadership in the
biomedical sciences and in academic medicine."

Oh okay great thanks a lot you guys. just submitted here's hoping!

Does anyone know the word count/character limit for the Pre-Secondary?

For a CA ORM applicant with below median stats, how likely is it to receive a secondary application here?