2018-2019 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alternate #4 for Spokane and just got off the waitlist!!

Anyone from Spokane know if there's a facebook group? Hoping to meet future classmates/ask current student questions so I can make an informed decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Earlier last month they were selling merch through Kotis Design. It seems that they sell stuff on a seasonal basis, since the deadline to order was in April, so maybe they’ll open it again during summer or fall

They usually do this twice a year in the fall and spring. The fall sale is usually Octoberish so that students can buy/request Christmas gifts.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if financial aid funds are disbursed during orientation or not until the first day of classes? Just trying to plan out the final weeks of my current job.

Anyone know if financial aid funds are disbursed during orientation or not until the first day of classes? Just trying to plan out the final weeks of my current job.

I don’t know if they changed it, but for E-2013 we didn’t get financial aid released until the first week of school for the undergrad schedule. So we didn’t have funds for the first month or so until end of September. Also, because of how the quarters were timed, the first quarter was like 5 months (Aug-Dec), then 3 (Jan-Mar) and then 2.5 (Apr-early June) but it’s spread evenly 1/3 financial aid for each quarter. So you hurt for money the first quarter but then it seems like you have a lot of extra.

I don’t know if they changed it, but for E-2013 we didn’t get financial aid released until the first week of school for the undergrad schedule. So we didn’t have funds for the first month or so until end of September. Also, because of how the quarters were timed, the first quarter was like 5 months (Aug-Dec), then 3 (Jan-Mar) and then 2.5 (Apr-early June) but it’s spread evenly 1/3 financial aid for each quarter. So you hurt for money the first quarter but then it seems like you have a lot of extra.

Wow that sounds rough. So immersion/orientation starts 8/14 and classes start Sept 3rd which is actually later than UI’s fall schedule. I’ll check with financial aid too to see when they expect funds to be disbursed but it sounds like they would be on time.

Wow that sounds rough. So immersion/orientation starts 8/14 and classes start Sept 3rd which is actually later than UI’s fall schedule. I’ll check with financial aid too to see when they expect funds to be disbursed but it sounds like they would be on time.

I thought orientation was 8/19?

Hi everyone,

I'm applying to UW Spokane this upcoming cycle, and I was wondering if there are any recently accepted students I can talk to? I have a few questions haha. Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I'm applying to UW Spokane this upcoming cycle, and I was wondering if there are any recently accepted students I can talk to? I have a few questions haha. Thanks.

I’m UW Idaho but my inbox is open if you want to PM me.

Hi everyone,

I'm in the Spokane class, feel free to PM me.

Does anyone know if we are required to purchase our own medical equipment, i.e. stethoscope, tuning fork, etc. Just trying to budget it out early. Another friend of mine is going to have to pay close to $1,000 for all her stuff and wondering if UW has similar requirements.

Does anyone know if we are required to purchase our own medical equipment, i.e. stethoscope, tuning fork, etc. Just trying to budget it out early. Another friend of mine is going to have to pay close to $1,000 for all her stuff and wondering if UW has similar requirements.

Previous classes, from what I know, had to purchase their own medical supplies (BP cuff, tuning fork, etc), however a stethoscope was given to each new incoming student. They should send out a list with more specific info about what the student is expected to purchase once it gets closer to orientation. I don’t think it will be anywhere near $1000 though.. Someone please confirm :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Previous classes, from what I know, had to purchase their own medical supplies (BP cuff, tuning fork, etc), however a stethoscope was given to each new incoming student. They should send out a list with more specific info about what the student is expected to purchase once it gets closer to orientation. I don’t think it will be anywhere near $1000 though.. Someone please confirm :)
don't buy anything until school starts. Some graduating 4th years sell their stuff.
you will not spend $1k unless you buy everything gold-plated
Most of us bought stuff off of amazon

Reactions: 1 users
the 15th was a big day for movement last year wonder if that will be the case for this year.

Anyone know if there’s an Idaho WWAMI Facebook group?
Search: UWSOM E-2019: Idaho Cohort. If you know others matriculating tell them as there is only 26 in the group including a couple second year students.

So for budget increase requests for FA, it says the budget can be increased up to 3k for Computer/pda. Can this be used for getting an iPad?

Edit: Nevermind found the request form and the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone submitted final transcripts yet?

Can you take a picture of that portion? I can't find it...

"These documents must be in the Admissions Office before matriculation. Official transcripts can be sent from the institution to the following address, or via email to [email protected].

UW School of Medicine
Office of Admissions
Box 356340
A-300 Health Sciences Ctr.
Seattle, WA 98195-6340"

Out of state or out of region? If you're in the WWAMI (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana and Idaho) region go for it! If you're outside of that region the odds are not in your favor.

From the UWSOM FAQ (Admissions Frequently Asked Questions | UW Medicine):
"Applicants from outside the WWAMI region who come from either economically or educationally disadvantaged backgrounds and/or who have demonstrated a significant commitment to serving underserved populations will be considered."

"Out of region applicants must have an exceptional record of service or come from a disadvantaged background to be considered."

From the UWSOM Acceptance Statistics (Acceptance Statistics | UW Medicine):
For the entering class of 2017, 288 people were accepted out of 1356 applications from the WWAMI region, an acceptance rate of around twenty per cent (crazy high compared to most medical schools). In contrast, only 44 students were accepted from 7251 out-of-region applicants, an acceptance rate of roughly 0.6% (in comparison, Harvard's matriculation rate is around 2%)

TL;DR - On a purely statistical basis, if you're out of the WWAMI region UW is one of the hardest schools in the country to get in to.

Wow sorry for the wall of text lol. Guess I got a bit carried away.

So you're telling me there's a chance!

• Haha
Wanted to note that facebook group number is not a good thing to go off of.
Some are current students.

It's a pretty good number to go off of. There are 107 facebook group members for a class of 100. I'm guessing most of those members after 100 are current students. I don't want to get people's hopes up when the class seems like it is already full and will probably stay that way. At best, maybe 1-2 people will get accepted off a WL at another school and give up their UW acceptance, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

It's a pretty good number to go off of. There are 107 facebook group members for a class of 100. I'm guessing most of those members after 100 are current students. I don't want to get people's hopes up when the class seems like it is already full and will probably stay that way. At best, maybe 1-2 people will get accepted off a WL at another school and give up their UW acceptance, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Yeah I mean unless we see a breakdown of each group it’s impossible to say for sure how full the class is. Plus people may not have a FB. But I agree right now this is the best gauge we have haha.

So since UW is a considered a top 15 school at least, are people really worried about Step 1 becoming P/F if it indeed passes? Not trying to turn this into that kind of thread but just curious.

So since UW is a considered a top 15 school at least, are people really worried about Step 1 becoming P/F if it indeed passes? Not trying to turn this into that kind of thread but just curious.

I was actually thinking about this the other day. I have seen people saying that a P/F Step 1 would lead to more weight being put on Step 2, clinical years, LORs, research, and school reputation. Well, UW already puts weight on the clinical years because years 1&2 are P/F, LORs and Step 2 are mostly student dependent, and UW has great research opportunities and a great reputation. I can't really see how this would negatively affect most of us, but I can definitely see how it could negatively affect students at schools that aren't highly ranked/well-regarded.

I was actually thinking about this the other day. I have seen people saying that a P/F Step 1 would lead to more weight being put on Step 2, clinical years, LORs, research, and school reputation. Well, UW already puts weight on the clinical years because years 1&2 are P/F, LORs and Step 2 are mostly student dependent, and UW has great research opportunities and a great reputation. I can't really see how this would negatively affect most of us, but I can definitely see how it could negatively affect students at schools that aren't highly ranked/well-regarded.

That’s what I’ve been thinking too. To be honest I don’t know when you typically take Step 2 CK but it might be tricky being able to study for it like students do for Step 1 with rotation schedules. CS is already pass/fail so that doesn’t really matter. But you’re right, competitive specialties and big time programs are going to be a lot harder to get coming from a school not in the top 20-50 I would think.

Anyone know if our research projects between M1 and M2 have to be done at our preclinical sites? Or can we branch out and apply for other research projects around the country?

Anyone know if our research projects between M1 and M2 have to be done at our preclinical sites? Or can we branch out and apply for other research projects around the country?

I haven't heard of any restrictions on the research we are allowed to do. I think the main issue would be funding though. It would probably be best to first see if you could still receive funding during those summer months for out of state research, and/or just apply for programs that provide some kind of stipend.

Funding for living expenses. Unless you have parents to help with living expenses, you're probably going to need some kind of stipend.

Yeah I figured. Are we able to apply for loans for the summer since we are technically in school because it’s a required part of the curriculum?

Yeah I figured. Are we able to apply for loans for the summer since we are technically in school because it’s a required part of the curriculum?
Yes, and you are allowed to go anywhere for your research!

• Wow
Okay E19 folks, do we have summer quarter tuition due? Very confused b/c I have a bill "due", but the amount is $0, but then the graduate school portal states that MD students do have a summer tuition due. I am assuming that is for MS2 & MS3s, but am paranoid about getting a late fee!

Okay E19 folks, do we have summer quarter tuition due? Very confused b/c I have a bill "due", but the amount is $0, but then the graduate school portal states that MD students do have a summer tuition due. I am assuming that is for MS2 & MS3s, but am paranoid about getting a late fee!

I don't know what you would be paying for if you're not in school yet. It's likely for MS3s for their clinical rotations.