2018-2019 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In terms of tuition going up for years 3&4, do other medical schools do that too? Seems irregular.
I think it might also be higher for UW because of the WWAMI rotation during clinical years (all our housing outside of our home site and I think most of our transportation is reimbursed)

Members don't see this ad.

Question about FAFSA. I just read on the UW website that we have to submit FAFSA by January 15th for full financial consideration. I've never had to apply for financial aid because I had help throughout college. Does this mean I'm stuck with private loans for the first year?
I'd talk to Diane. There is something called the UWSOM scholarship that everyone should try to apply to (you don't have to worry about this until closer to immersion). You might not be eligible to apply since this scholarship requires parental information and fafsa, but double check with diane.
I recommend everyone to submit fafsa, regardless of your spouses' or parental $ info.

Anyone from the MT cohort planning on attending second look on April 13th? Would love to connect!

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone from idaho is going to second look, hmu

For the other sites, did an accepted student make your facebook page? Or some faculty/current student? I just want to know who else is in the MT cohort and maybe start considering roommates and things

Reactions: 1 users
Yes for student host program
No for travel stipends

Ask admissions on how to set up a host
Congrats!

I got a travel stipend for second look.

On another note - how do the OOS tuition waivers work? If I was accepted in November and haven't heard anything back, does that mean I was not awarded the waiver?

On another note - how do the OOS tuition waivers work? If I was accepted in November and haven't heard anything back, does that mean I was not awarded the waiver?

I was also awarded the travel stipend! In regards to the tuition waiver, I remember that they give out around 10 per year, but I could be wrong. This was based on past years thread. I don’t know how they select their students for the tuition waiver vs. when students get accepted. I got the tuition waiver a week after I was accepted, along with the uw net Id and second look

Oh my bad. I remember during second look people complaining about this, so I might’ve just reached the wrong group!

For the other sites, did an accepted student make your facebook page? Or some faculty/current student? I just want to know who else is in the MT cohort and maybe start considering roommates and things

Alaska WWAMI has a pretty big Facebook group, but it's for all the AK students and alumni, not just the E19s. Unclear who made it but it looks like it's moderated by grads and current students. I was invited by one of the students I know.

Alaska WWAMI has a pretty big Facebook group, but it's for all the AK students and alumni, not just the E19s. Unclear who made it but it looks like it's moderated by grads and current students. I was invited by one of the students I know.

do you know if its possible for E19's to join to? i would like to ask some questions before i make my decision

When is the white coat ceremony in Moscow? I just know it's after orientation but no news on the day

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received the castlebranch/HSIP info yet to enter their immunizations? I can't find anything in my emails about it but don't want to have missed it.

Reactions: 1 user
When I spoke to admissions at the end of March they said they expect movement after April 15th (when people need to narrow down to 3 schools) and then April 30th (when I believe you can only hold one acceptance). Personally, I was hoping for some movement before then.... but so far there hasn't been anything for Washington cohort.

When I spoke to admissions at the end of March they said they expect movement after April 15th (when people need to narrow down to 3 schools) and then April 30th (when I believe you can only hold one acceptance). Personally, I was hoping for some movement before then.... but so far there hasn't been anything for Washington cohort.
Yeah mostly wishful thinking. They also are slow to update the portal so we have to rely on SDN for real time updates.

Yeah mostly wishful thinking. They also are slow to update the portal so we have to rely on SDN for real time updates.

hahaha they told me it would be closish to real time for the portal to be updated since it is now controlled by a computer...let the waiting game continue....

are there merit based or need based scholarships that uw offers?

are there merit based or need based scholarships that uw offers?
Yep, there is something called the UWSOM scholarship and is need-based (you have to submit parental info through fafsa to qualify, even if you are independent)
In terms of merit based, I think they pull from the UWSOM scholarship, but unsure. I know a few mentioned scholarships in negotiating to attend UW and ended up getting that money through UWSOM scholarship. Note that not everyone will get scholarship even if you apply for it, but you can get up to $10,000 in terms of scholarship + grants.

Attire for second look?
Seattle business casual.
I wore a sweater over a collared shirt, nice pants and shoes. You might want to bring a raincoat/umbrella in case it rains on the tour.
Suit is too much.
You will be chilling with current med students and eating good food.

I'm not sure who created the other cohort facebook pages, but I don't see why we couldn't just create our own? I'm also curious about who else is in the MT cohort :)

I'm not sure who created the other cohort facebook pages, but I don't see why we couldn't just create our own? I'm also curious about who else is in the MT cohort :)

Montana cohort has a page now! Feel free to join it and/or add anyone else you know that's in the class!

+1

Looking at the posts from last year it seems like they had already had an MT page at this point, which makes me think it might be student driven?

they updated the rank status page. it says alternate number 0 but at least something changed

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Checked the Spokane alternate status page this morning, and looks like the first alternate was accepted.

So there are separate waitlists. Thank you for sharing
Yes from what I have learned from speaking with admissions, they made Spokane a separate list last year for the first time.

Yes from what I have learned from speaking with admissions, they made Spokane a separate list last year for the first time.
Were you asked to write a foundations site essay to confirm your alternate list spot? That was what confused me the most.

Were you asked to write a foundations site essay to confirm your alternate list spot? That was what confused me the most.
Yes I was. I did it anyways, even though I am only on the list for Spokane. I think it is mostly for students that selected no preference on the secondary, but it goes out to all WA students anyways.

4/15 is an important date in the traffic rules, should I expect some waitlist movement today?

Also if we are not in the position of needing to narrow down to only three acceptances, do we have to do anything today on AMCAS?

Second Look was this past weekend so some folks have a better idea of if they are coming or going. Hold tight!

Last edited:
I would think so. Its a little concerning there hasnt been any movement at all yet.
I'm sure UW stays in the top 3 for many people so I wouldn't be too stressed yet! I think a lot will happen in the next two weeks. Keep the faith! (easier said than done, I know)

I'm sure UW stays in the top 3 for many people so I wouldn't be too stressed yet! I think a lot will happen in the next two weeks. Keep the faith! (easier said than done, I know)
I think this is probably the case. At Second Look this weekend, it seemed like most of the people that I talked to that were still deciding were only considering 1, maybe 2, other schools. It also seemed like UW had one of the later Second Look weekends, so hopefully now everyone has all the info they need to start making final decisions.

So there are 220 students accepted to UWSOM. Does this mean that there are 220 at each foundation site (i.e: 220 at Seattle), or is it 220 total at all the foundation sites (Seattle + Spokane + Moscow, etc)

There is a pie chart on the UWSOM acceptance statistics page which divides the 220 into each foundations site. 100 for Seattle 60 for Spokane etc.

100 Seattle
60 Spokane
20 Anchorage
20 Laramie
30 Bozeman
40 Moscow

270 total, unless something changed or I’m remembering wrong.

Not sure where the pie chart is because I’m too lazy to look, but I feel positive it it’s not 220.

So I have a question about 4/30. Is it assumed that if you're not picked off the waitlist after this date that your chances of getting off are real slim? I'm an idaho resident in the top 10 for context.

So I have a question about 4/30. Is it assumed that if you're not picked off the waitlist after this date that your chances of getting off are real slim? I'm an idaho resident in the top 10 for context.
My guess is that by mid to end of May, most spots will be set. Schools have varying amounts of time for students to decide once they're offered a waitlist spot, some are only a couple days and some are over a week. Since students can't hold more than one acceptance after the 30th, the expected waitlist movement will be largely on and immediately following May 1st.

FYI portal was updated at some point today, 4 people have been accepted off the alternate list for Seattle/OOR so far.