2018-2019 Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven’t gotten an invite to the admitted students Facebook page yet, can anyone possibly link it here?

Members don't see this ad.

So given the lower class size, is the post-II acceptance rate lower? Or did they interview fewer people? (Just trying to figure out how hopeful I should be)
It'd be fked up if they didn't. From their email it sounded like they decided to lower the class size midway through the cycle so I would guess that they interviewed the same number of people smh

Reactions: 1 user
It'd be fked up if they didn't. From their email it sounded like they decided to lower the class size midway through the cycle so I would guess that they interviewed the same number of people smh

So I did ask this question at my interview, and the dean said they decided halfway through, so he wasn't sure if they'd lowered the number of invites or not.

I would be surprised to learn they invited the same number, because why would they spend the time/money on more interviews if they were going to accept fewer candidates? Wouldn't that be wasteful of everyone's time and money? Not just candidates, but interviewer appts, catering, etc.

But also if no one thought of it, it probably stayed the same...

I bet they probably feel out the # of interview invites based on the quality of candidates in the cycle as a running tally. So if they had a lot of stellar "on paper" candidates early on in the cycle that were not-as-great in the interview, they would want to keep inviting to make sure they have a big enough pool to draw As from. That's what I'd do in their position.

If this were true, then the number of IIs would be only somewhat affected by the decision halfway through to offer less As overall, since you can't retract the IIs you've already handed out.

I think conjecture about this probably isn't super productive since we don't have any insider knowledge. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So I did ask this question at my interview, and the dean said they decided halfway through, so he wasn't sure if they'd lowered the number of invites or not.

I would be surprised to learn they invited the same number, because why would they spend the time/money on more interviews if they were going to accept fewer candidates? Wouldn't that be wasteful of everyone's time and money? Not just candidates, but interviewer appts, catering, etc.

But also if no one thought of it, it probably stayed the same...

I bet they probably feel out the # of interview invites based on the quality of candidates in the cycle as a running tally. So if they had a lot of stellar "on paper" candidates early on in the cycle that were not-as-great in the interview, they would want to keep inviting to make sure they have a big enough pool to draw As from. That's what I'd do in their position.

If this were true, then the number of IIs would be only somewhat affected by the decision halfway through to offer less As overall, since you can't retract the IIs you've already handed out.

I think conjecture about this probably isn't super productive since we don't have any insider knowledge. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I understand I am just really salty that they made such an important decision halfway through the cycle which negatively impacted all of our chances to be admitted, not to mention that we won't even get the benefits of the new curriculum so its a lose-lose situation for us and a lack of careful planning on the part of the school. I guess I just really want to go to this school and kinda stressed that they are admitting fewer people this year hahaha

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrawing, hope someone on here gets my acceptance/scholarship! Try not to hoard acceptances everyone!

Reactions: 15 users
Does anyone know when financial aid decisions / scholarship info comes out?

Merit scholarships have been rolling out throughout the process. First reported financial aid package last year came on 4/2.

Any calls go out today? Interviewed back in early Oct, have heard radio silence since then.

Reactions: 4 users
Do we think they’re pretty much done with the acceptances? Does anybody know when they’ve finished decisions in past years?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we think they’re pretty much done with the acceptances? Does anybody know when they’ve finished decisions in past years?
Based on last year's Sdn thread, the last recorded acceptance was in the last week of feb and then a mass WL email was sent out on March 30th. After that it looked like people were only accepted off that WL. In the years previous to that one, there were a few acceptances mid-March. However with less students being in their class size this year, my best guess based on this "extremely scientific data" would be that either 1) all outright acceptances are over with or 2) a few have yet to go out but likely only to fill spots where people withdrew acceptances before everyone else is waitlisted end of March. Of course this is all speculation so who knows what will happen

Reactions: 1 users

I'd hope they are not. This school is my top choice so I would really love to go here.

Called the office because I’m anxious/shameless/impatient. I asked if acceptances were done being sent out and she said no, but also that we’d hear the final word in the middle of April.... The update email they sent said pretty definitively March 15th so I’m not sure if the person I talked to had all relevant information

Called the office because I’m anxious/shameless/impatient. I asked if acceptances were done being sent out and she said no, but also that we’d hear the final word in the middle of April.... The update email they sent said pretty definitively March 15th so I’m not sure if the person I talked to had all relevant information
Yeah that’s weird, they said all decisions would come out 3/15... I’m assuming they’ll send a mass WL/rejection email on the 15th

I have now fully grasped why people say they deeply hate this process

Reactions: 13 users
Okay guys... Ready for a super neurotic, but hopefully comforting post???

It seems like there was a first wave of acceptances in late Jan/early Feb of candidates with stellar scores that they wanted to scoop up fast and gave scholarships to (some of them seem like they are already withdrawing, see post #665) as well as MTSP students. Then there was a massive wave of Pre II rejections... they mentioned in the letter that on ~Feb 18th interviews were officially done. Starting in late Feb they started accepting people who interviewed in Sept/Oct/Nov... I know they say that acceptances are random, but the recent acceptances have been a lot of people who interviewed earlier. I've noticed a lot of people recently asking about Jan/Feb interviewees, so I think we're all in the same boat as far as waiting. Yesterday was probably a committee meeting, so I'm really hoping some of us get calls today and this weekend...

This is completely just spitballing, but I've looked at past cycles and the pattern seems to be similar. If you interviewed early I'm sure you're still likely to get accepted this week, but I just think it's weird that there haven't been many people from Dec/Jan/Feb...

Reactions: 3 users

It seems like there was a first wave of acceptances in late Jan/early Feb of candidates with stellar scores that they wanted to scoop up fast and gave scholarships to (some of them seem like they are already withdrawing, see post #665) as well as MTSP students. Then there was a massive wave of Pre II rejections... they mentioned in the letter that on ~Feb 18th interviews were officially done. Starting in late Feb they started accepting people who interviewed in Sept/Oct/Nov... I know they say that acceptances are random, but the recent acceptances have been a lot of people who interviewed earlier. I've noticed a lot of people recently asking about Jan/Feb interviewees, so I think we're all in the same boat as far as waiting. Yesterday was probably a committee meeting, so I'm really hoping some of us get calls today and this weekend...

This is completely just spitballing, but I've looked at past cycles and the pattern seems to be similar. If you interviewed early I'm sure you're still likely to get accepted this week, but I just think it's weird that there haven't been many people from Dec/Jan/Feb...
Unless people who interviewed later in the cycle were mostly competing for WL spots

Unless people who interviewed later in the cycle were mostly competing for WL spots
Yeah, that's a good point. I know it's dumb to really theorize anything as we don't really know their process. Just have to keep hope alive!

Reactions: 4 users

early interview people were accepted in november and december too!!

Does wash u reject post interview or mostly just throw everyone on the waitlist?

Take this with a grain of salt, but someone I know with connections to the admissions committee said that only half of acceptances had gone out as of last week. I’d imagine that there’s still at least 1/4 of the class to be filled.
if this is true, you're doing the lord's work my friend

Reactions: 5 users
When submitting the parent 1040's and W-2's for financial aid, did you all just email them to financial aid? I don't see a portal link to submit them in netpartner. I'm asking because I feel like those aren't typically documents you just send in an unsecured email

When submitting the parent 1040's and W-2's for financial aid, did you all just email them to financial aid? I don't see a portal link to submit them in netpartner. I'm asking because I feel like those aren't typically documents you just send in an unsecured email
Redact all SSN's and bank accounts then email in

I mailed my information in.

I had the same concern and called (a different school). They said it’s pretty secure, but if you’re concerned you can black out all but the last four digits of all SSN’s

Take this with a grain of salt, but someone I know with connections to the admissions committee said that only half of acceptances had gone out as of last week. I’d imagine that there’s still at least 1/4 of the class to be filled.

I'd be highly surprised if anyone got accepted this week. I'm bracing for the WL/R.

Don’t forget about this post! I’m holding out hope until the bitter end.

Do you have any more insider information?

From previous years it looks like they do tend to cut things kind of close to the deadline :pompous:

...honestly, I can relate :laugh:

If you need an anxiety distraction this week, go see Captain Marvel! It was great! Hang in there friends...

Reactions: 8 users
Hey guys! Current student here. I just wanted to say hang in there - with all the top schools there is a lot of movement off the waitlist since a lot of the top accept the same ~100 students and they obviously can only pick one school.

I just wanted to say Wash U is an amazing environment. We have a TON of fun and I was always studying in undergrad and I honestly find Wash U way easier but yet I am learning a ton but without the stress. The doctors here are incredible and its nice to finally have the time to also be able to socialize. Everyone is very friendly so it is a nice environment to always be surrounded by like minded people. I ended up getting a full ride but did not get the money until late May so I would be patient, even most waitlist kids got a ton of money they have been really nice about that.

Also big PS - DO NOT TRUST EVERYTHING ON SDN! I hope at this point as smart applicants you realize a lot of people lie. A few non accepted students are going around to the top pages telling pretending to be students telling people they hate it and such. You should be careful about people privately messaging you and take SDN with a grain of salt since a lot of people troll these boards and regardless pick your school based on how you liked it after visiting and taking to people in person with real names not hiding behind anonymous user names.

Feel free to message me with questions or concerns and I would be happy to explain (and provide real contacts :))

Last edited:
Reactions: 22 users
A few non accepted students are going around to the top pages telling pretending to be students telling people they hate it and such.
this is so petty it made me lol

Reactions: 9 users
For anyone who received a merit scholarship, did you receive an email or see a change in your portal at all?

I missed a call from the dean yesterday and she hasn't called me back yet. Wondering if there's any other way to find out if she was calling about a merit scholarship or something else?

For anyone who received a merit scholarship, did you receive an email or see a change in your portal at all?

I missed a call from the dean yesterday and she hasn't called me back yet. Wondering if there's any other way to find out if she was calling about a merit scholarship or something else?

I mean I can't imagine what else she would have called you about. When did you get accepted (if you don't mind me asking)?

I was accepted 1/24, interviewed mid December!

Thats wonderful! I'm so happy for you (unless the call wasnt about scholarship, in which case I'm sorry).
Theres still hope for me than lol. I was accepted 1/14 and was nervous that I had no chance of getting a scholarship at this point.

Thats wonderful! I'm so happy for you (unless the call wasnt about scholarship, in which case I'm sorry).
Theres still hope for me than lol. I was accepted 1/14 and was nervous that I had no chance of getting a scholarship at this point.

Just gonna chime in here that I got my merit scholarship late march so I'm pretty sure there is still a very good chance of snagging one. Things happen - students withdraw, school magically finds more money etc.

Just gonna chime in here that I got my merit scholarship late march so I'm pretty sure there is still a very good chance of snagging one. Things happen - students withdraw, school magically finds more money etc.

man i wish i could magically find some money

Reactions: 5 users
Not to pry too much, but did you reach out to the school at all prior to receiving the scholarship/do you know anyone who did. I can't imagine it would be helpful, but also it cant hurt to ask can it?

did you ever find out what the call was about?!
not yet!! I called back ~30 minutes after receiving the initial call and left a voicemail and then tried calling once yesterday and once again today, but she didn't answer either time. doing my best to be patient but it's hard