2018-2019 Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the WL

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
WL as well for myself and several friends, if they don’t reject anybody post II what’s even the point of making this “WL”

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
what are your guys' guesses about washu's wl movement this year?

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve seen you guys everywhere this year. It was a pleasure going through this cycle with y’all haha
haha same bro, although i still have 2-3 months left in this with the WL limbo

WL as well for myself and several friends, if they don’t reject anybody post II what’s even the point of making this “WL”

yeah that's annoying but someone else mentioned they have a very low yield which is why they do this. Plus it seems like alot of people decline the waitlist spot so it might not be too bad overall.

what are your guys' guesses about washu's wl movement this year?

Tough to say with the reduced class size but I’d have say not great. Creeped on the admitted students Facebook page a few days back when it was posted and there were a TON people (think it was like 270+ members). Granted, half of those will leave for other schools and hopefully many are upperclassmen, but even then that doesn’t leave much room

Do they put everyone on the waitlist? I can’t wrap my head around how they could possibly put ~600 people on the waitlist lol

WL :( I would absolutely love to attend here but I'm wondering how likely that is at this point since the email said WL movement was going to happen in early August and my current acceptances start school in very early July

WL :( I would absolutely love to attend here but I'm wondering how likely that is at this point since the email said WL movement was going to happen in early August and my current acceptances start school in very early July

The email meant offer acceptances at any point from now until UP TO early August - very few
Spots will go out past June 1st I’d imagine most of the movement will come April 30th/15th when students have to start making decisions

Reactions: 5 users
The way I read that email was that WL movement would happen anytime up until early August, but the wording is a little ambiguous. I don’t think it would make sense for them to wait until August to start making offers if they have spaces to fill in May/June/July.

Reactions: 3 users
Waitlisted.

Edit: Gonna withdraw anyways good luck to yall.

Reactions: 7 users
Tough to say with the reduced class size but I’d have say not great. Creeped on the admitted students Facebook page a few days back when it was posted and there were a TON people (think it was like 270+ members). Granted, half of those will leave for other schools and hopefully many are upperclassmen, but even then that doesn’t leave much room

If you look back at last year and the year before that around this time people discussed the facebook group #'s as well, it seems pretty normal, I don't think that it's super informative to predicting waitlist flow.

*desperately clings on to hope*

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
On the portal, what kind of information are we supposed to put into the comments section if were waitlisted?

On the portal, what kind of information are we supposed to put into the comments section if were waitlisted?

I’d imagine that’s something more for people declining to give and explaination why. I left it blank and an am planning on sending a LoI soon

Humbled to be one of the 84 billion people on the waitlist here...

Reactions: 9 users
WL email came in at 3:18 pm. Is an acceptance call too much to ask for?
*God has entered the chat*
“Yes, it is.”

Still without an email or anything here...

Starting to get worried, lol

Interviewed 02/08

Guys you gotta help me think of bad things to say about WashU so we can convince the accepted people to go to Penn or Stanford

Reactions: 4 users
WL. yaaa YEET The nature of this arduous process fills me with nothing but love...
:barf:

Reactions: 3 users
Anybody know when we have to answer the waitlist offer? I'm waiting on financial aid from other schools before I decide...

Anybody know when we have to answer the waitlist offer? I'm waiting on financial aid from other schools before I decide...

just take it for now and withdraw later once you get your financial aid

There’s no downside to being on the waitlist. Just accept it then withdraw later if the other schools come through

Does anyone know if Wash U uses a ranked or tiered waitlist system they will let us know about?

Withdrew from the waitlist, good luck yall!

Reactions: 8 users
Not to pry too much, but did you reach out to the school at all prior to receiving the scholarship/do you know anyone who did. I can't imagine it would be helpful, but also it cant hurt to ask can it?

Exactly. It can't hurt to ask. If you really like WashU, but money is a problem, let them know that. You'll feel better knowing you gave it a shot

This is copy-pasted from an email our deans sent us today about the curriculum update:

"The current curriculum will stay intact for all students entering the class of 2019. Minor modifications to improve the curriculum based on current student feedback will alter the curriculum, as has been our practice for many years. Students entering in 2019 will have the opportunity to participate in innovative pilot programs/courses/ rotations including those involving basic, clinical, social and community sciences, especially in the fourth year. Any participation in new programming will be elective and there will be no changes to the current graduation requirements for students entering in 2019."

To anyone who has received a merit tuition scholarship, do you have to accept on the portal? Does some verbiage show up on the web site?

Yes! A new section will appear on your portal that says 'scholarship' and you acknowledge the receipt of the letter just like you had to for your acceptance

Yes! A new section will appear on your portal that says 'scholarship' and you acknowledge the receipt of the letter just like you had to for your acceptance
If you don’t mind me asking, how much is your scholarship for? When I contacted admissions about scholarship matching they said merit scholarships go out in April, but I guess I’m being bamboozled?! Curious to know because if you already got half or full tuition, then they’re not saving the big money for April.

If you don’t mind me asking, how much is your scholarship for? When I contacted admissions about scholarship matching they said merit scholarships go out in April, but I guess I’m being bamboozled?! Curious to know because if you already got half or full tuition, then they’re not saving the big money for April.
1/2 tuition. And I missed the initial call last Monday and then spoke to the dean on Thursday and when I checked late Thursday night, it was posted

Do scholarships go to full COA or just full tuition here?
During interview day they mentioned that a couple full COA scholarships (I think they mentioned that like a dozen of their students graduated with no debt whatsoever, but don't quote me on that lol) are given out every year.

Do scholarships go to full COA or just full tuition here?
I might be misremembering, but I think I heard during interview day that need and merit based awards can be added up together to full COA. Not sure if full COA merit aid scholarships are offered tho

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how to complete the transcripts portion of the admissions checklist on the portal? Admissions told me that I don't need to submit my final transcripts until August, but I feel like I should be able to complete the checklist somehow.
I went through the same process as I did to submit the transcripts to AMCAS for the primary app, except I asked each school/institution to send the transcript directly to WashU Med. They updated the portal a couple days after I asked the schools to send them

During interview day they mentioned that a couple full COA scholarships (I think they mentioned that like a dozen of their students graduated with no debt whatsoever, but don't quote me on that lol) are given out every year.
I remember something similar, but then I remember them saying the numbers included the MSTP students, so I’m still unclear how many full tuition/full COA scholarships exist for just the MD program.

I am still in my final semester of undergrad so I have not graduated yet and don't have my final transcripts. Are you saying I should request my undergrad school to send them to WashU now?
Oh sorry, I've already graduated so my transcripts are the same as they were on my primary app. They'll likely want your final transcripts, so I would think you need to wait, but that's speculation so definitely check with them!

I remember something similar, but then I remember them saying the numbers included the MSTP students, so I’m still unclear how many full tuition/full COA scholarships exist for just the MD program.

Merit Aid is separate from financial aid so if you get a full tuition scholarship, financial aid can chip in and cover you to COA. So for all of you lovely folks getting those half-tuition/full tuition/merit money, remember to fill out financial aid forms and talk to the financial aid office during second look to maximize your dollars.

If you don't get merit money, financial aid can still come in clutch and give you something worthwhile.

I don’t think you are being bamboozled. They have been known to give substantial sums of money to even waitlisted candidates in May.

Exactly. I and a bunch of others got some merit love post second look last year. So don't fret too much if it's not coming your way yet. Reach out to admissions, come to second look, and just like interviews... Sometimes you just have to wait.

@~ Doctor~ Do you know the methodology by which financial aid is calculated if you do get a merit based scholarship. Without a merit based scholarship the formula is COA - EFC = Financial Need. 50% of financial need is satisfied by grants whereas 50% is satisfied by loans. How does it work if you do qualify for a merit based scholarship? Is it COA - EFC - Merit Based Scholarship = Financial Need? And then 50% is covered by loans and 50% by grants? Or is there some other formula?

From my experience financial aid does not look at your merit money when calculating need. So lets say your efc was like 20k, and coa was 80k and you got merit aid of 40k.

Initially your financial need would be (coa - efc) so 60k and you'd get 30k in financial aid. But now you'd still get that 30k financial aid + 40k merit money so 70k.

If your merit money was like 65k, financial aid would reduce your aid to 15k because merit money + financial aid cannot exceed coa. They dont want to pay you to go there lol.

You can email financial aid to double check this info and I probably will swing through office later but i am too lazy to do that right now.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what you have to do to actually accept WashU's offer of admission? @~ Doctor~ or others??
Your application portal should have an 'admissions decision' tab where you can confirm your acceptance. Congrats!