2019-2020 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone have any idea when we get class schedules/ orientation schedules for July? or finical information?? Also, current 1st years does ACOM still include ipad and mac book when you first start?

Members don't see this ad.

anyone have any idea when we get class schedules/ orientation schedules for July? or finical information?? Also, current 1st years does ACOM still include ipad and mac book when you first start?
Probably late May/Early July for schedules. Early May for financial aid stuff.
iPad and Macbook/Dell (the dells are touchscreen and have a neat tablet mode). Both are included in tuition.

Reactions: 1 user
Would anyone be able to explain what makes the 3rd/4th year rotations here superior to other schools? I’ve heard people say they have great rotation sites but I would just like more info!
I agree with what others have said so far to your questions, I'll also add that we have A LOT of sites to choose from (I believe there was 25 when I was picking my core site but they've added more). The way it works is you rank every site from your most desired to your least and a computer system matches you. Most end up at one of their top 5 I believe. Before you rank the core sites you actually have a chance to hear from every site and often medical students that are currently rotating there to hear the pro's and con's of each site (free meals, free parking, residency didactics, etc.). Because we have some sites that work directly with residency programs you can choose to rank those higher if you want to work with residency programs 3rd year, otherwise if you'd prefer a rural site where you can deliver 60 babies in a month and amputate limbs (more hands on) then you can choose to rank those sites higher. There are plenty of sites with different opportunities to choose from!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think Altapointe’s director can help you get into the USA’s psych program if you’re interested in psych.
Yea Altapointe is has an amazing Psych residency program, one of their current residents was an ACOM student. Also, the Pensacola site just added a lot of residency programs and more planning to come. When I was there they had IM, but they just added PM&R and are adding more.

Hey everyone!

I interviewed back in 4/17/2020 and today I checked the microsite and it shows that my checklist is at 100% and that payment is required. I already paid for the secondary application, so is there anything else I have to pay for after the interview?

Hey everyone!

I interviewed back in 4/17/2020 and today I checked the microsite and it shows that my checklist is at 100% and that payment is required. I already paid for the secondary application, so is there anything else I have to pay for after the interview?
+1 I checked the microsite earlier this week and it had my status as waitlisted (which has been there since I got my decision in September), and I just checked and the entire status box is gone now. If anybody knows what that indicates, please lmk!

+1 I checked the microsite earlier this week and it had my status as waitlisted (which has been there since I got my decision in September), and I just checked and the entire status box is gone now. If anybody knows what that indicates, please lmk!
Same!

Hey everyone!

Interviewed Friday, shows the same for me

What exactly comes in the financial aid package we get soon? I just want to know what to expect

Same!

I'm confused, how are there no open seats, but they plan on having most WL movement occur during the first week of May (according to a previous post)...?

What’s confusing? They currently have no open seats. People will drop acceptances as they get accepted elsewhere so the school will accept applicants off the WL

Reactions: 1 users
Random question out there. Does anyone know the cost for rent at Summerfield? One person was telling me that it was $700 with utilities included.

Members don't see this ad :)
Random question out there. Does anyone know the cost for rent at Summerfield? One person was telling me that it was $700 with utilities included.

That sounds lower than I expected. Is it two bedroom with two people splitting the costs. Couple years ago, Summerfield for a one bedroom was around $1000 a month and a studio was maybe $800 a month.

Summerfield was ~$1k for a one bedroom. It includes wifi and utilities. Biggest gripe is they seem to have someone leafblowing every morning and the power or wifi goes down anytime there's a major storm. Walls aren't very thick so it tends to be loud if you have loud neighbors.

Honestly wasn't worth the cost imho. You could rent a house a few minutes down the road for the same cost. Utilities tend to be fairly cheap here.

Just withdrew my A. Wishing yall the best of luck!

Reactions: 8 users
Are they waitlisting because there's not enough room at this time and they're waiting for seats to open up?

I am pretty sure the student list is full at the moment, but there will be movement as students turn down acceptance to attend somewhere else.

Anyone know if the waitlist is ranked? If it is, how do we find out our position?

ACOM just announced that they are having a virtual ShaDO Day since the one in April was canceled. The Director of Admissions will be on as well as some faculty members and students for Q&A.

For anyone on the waitlist, I have heard from many classmates that this is a great opportunity to show your continued interest in the school and a good opportunity to interact again with faculty and the Director of Admissions.

For any accepted students, this would be a great opportunity to get any of your last minute questions answered before committing fully or before starting school in the fall.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 11.01.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 11.01.50 AM.png
    410.4 KB · Views: 158
Reactions: 6 users
ACOM just announced that they are having a virtual ShaDO Day since the one in April was canceled. The Director of Admissions will be on as well as some faculty members and students for Q&A.

For anyone on the waitlist, I have heard from many classmates that this is a great opportunity to show your continued interest in the school and a good opportunity to interact again with faculty and the Director of Admissions.

For any accepted students, this would be a great opportunity to get any of your last minute questions answered before committing fully or before starting school in the fall.

If I am on the waitlist and didn't receive an invitation to this, you think that means I'm no longer being considered for admission?

If I am on the waitlist and didn't receive an invitation to this, you think that means I'm no longer being considered for admission?

No not at all! This is an event organized by an ACOM student-run organization, SOMA. The ACOM admissions committee does not individually invite people to attend- it is open to all and any pre-med students or incoming students.

Reactions: 2 users
No not at all! This is an event organized by an ACOM student-run organization, SOMA. The ACOM admissions committee does not individually invite people to attend- it is open to all and any pre-med students or incoming students.

Thanks so much for the info! Could you let us know how or where to register at if you know?

Thanks so much for the info! Could you let us know how or where to register at if you know?
No problem! No need to register for the event. Just join the Zoom meeting using the code on the flyer (The code is 2393459493). There are also contact emails on the flyer if you want more information from the organizers of the event.

Okay so first they took my status section thing on my microsite out (the part that said waitlisted) and now there is a section that says “admissions requirement” that is linked to ACOM’s prospective applicant page. Does anybody know what this could mean like does that mean my app is done for or? Has this happened to anyone else?

Has anyone asked Mr. Willis recently for the number of students they except to be pulled off the wait list?

Hi! I was just wondering if any current students have advice on housing? I decided against Summerfield Square as I would prefer to live alone and as of now all of the studios/1 bedrooms are full. I'm most interested in finding an apartment complex and living in a 1 or 2 bedroom. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Hi! I was just wondering if any current students have advice on housing? I decided against Summerfield Square as I would prefer to live alone and as of now all of the studios/1 bedrooms are full. I'm most interested in finding an apartment complex and living in a 1 or 2 bedroom. Any advice would be appreciated :)
Feel free to PM me. I’m an incoming student with a handful of friends who currently attend.

Primary Completed: 7/30/19

Secondary Offered: 8/12/19

Secondary Completed: 9/5/19 (late due to personal emergency)

Interview Invite: 10/10/19

Interview Date: 12/6/19 (waited until I was moving back to the east coast due to financial reasons)

Accepted: 12/12/19

Deposit: 1/28/20 (non-refundable $2,000)

Withdraw of Acceptance: 5/7/20

Goodluck all and especially to the person who deserves the seat I am leaving behind! I wish I could leave my deposit for you as well. I was just accepted off of the WL for my top choice yesterday, so I know the feeling. Congratulations!!

Reactions: 6 users
Primary Completed: 7/30/19

Secondary Offered: 8/12/19

Secondary Completed: 9/5/19 (late due to personal emergency)

Interview Invite: 10/10/19

Interview Date: 12/6/19 (waited until I was moving back to the east coast due to financial reasons)

Accepted: 12/12/19

Deposit: 1/28/20 (non-refundable $2,000)

Withdraw of Acceptance: 5/7/20

Goodluck all and especially to the person who deserves the seat I am leaving behind! I wish I could leave my deposit for you as well. I was just accepted off of the WL for my top choice yesterday, so I know the feeling. Congratulations!!
Congratulations and good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Just saw that the application status is on my discover site, first time seeing it. Anyone else see it?

Last edited:
Anyone know if they do silent rejections? I've been ghosted and the interview hold status was removed from my microsite :(

As per my last conversation with Mr. Willis on April 30th, below is the response that I got:

'We are waiting to see how many of our Applicants will deposit from the last interview groups. Will have more information in a couple of weeks for additional interviews'.

• Wow
As per my last conversation with Mr. Willis on April 30th, below is the response that I got:

'We are waiting to see how many of our Applicants will deposit from the last interview groups. Will have more information in a couple of weeks for additional interviews'.
My hope just went up a tick

• Love