2019-2020 Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is the group me something that albany directly invites people to or is it made by a student? just trying to gauge if it’s an accurate portrayal of everyone accepted or SDN only people accepted. also according to albany they have been pulling from the alternative list already

A student made it

Members don't see this ad :)
im in the student groupme and 6 people have left in the past couple of days so maybe they declined their A

Reactions: 5 users
im in the student groupme and 6 people have left in the past couple of days so maybe they declined their A

Good info! How big is the groupme right now?

Reactions: 1 user
Brokebuthopeful really just dipped after saying Albany been pulling off the list without saying where he learned that despite multiple people asking, lol

Hopefully this is not a redundant question, but I’m curious to know if you saw any other significant difference in the number of students on the GroupMe. For example, did you notice the number of students slowly drop off one-by-one Leading up to the 30th. Or has the number remained steady? Then 6 dropped off? any new add-one you’ve noticed?

Again I know it’s bad to try and estimate from the number of members but it could provide some sort of insight for this desperate pre-med student....lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Brokebuthopeful really just dipped after saying Albany been pulling off the list without saying where he learned that despite multiple people asking, lol
I can't speak for @BrokeButHopeful, but I only think they would have said that if they called/emailed admissions to ask. Very little chance they are just speculating in other words :(

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I can't speak for @BrokeButHopeful, but I only think they would have said that if they called/emailed admissions to ask. Very little chance they are just speculating in other words :(

I agree with memdoctobe, I’m pretty confident it was something they asked admissions sometime this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Love
actually I PM'd every person who asked about it in the thread. I wanted to be as transparent and informational about everything without throwing anyone under the bus or revealing anyones identities. would PM you too if you had asked a little nicer.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So they will probably pull 40-50 students from the AL considering the class size is around there. Those aren’t bad odds, hopefully everyone here on SDN hears good news. Maybe we will be able to hear some news this coming week.

Hopefully this is not a redundant question, but I’m curious to know if you saw any other significant difference in the number of students on the GroupMe. For example, did you notice the number of students slowly drop off one-by-one Leading up to the 30th. Or has the number remained steady? Then 6 dropped off? any new add-one you’ve noticed?

Again I know it’s bad to try and estimate from the number of members but it could provide some sort of insight for this desperate pre-med student....lol.
i havent seen that. But we're assuming that all accepted students are in the group me

actually I PM'd every person who asked about it in the thread. I wanted to be as transparent and informational about everything without throwing anyone under the bus or revealing anyones identities. would PM you too if you had asked a little nicer.

Oh damn, my bad dude. My apologies

• Haha
hey so like, could you fill us in?

What's going on with Albany? I hope you guys here hear good news soon

Reactions: 2 users
MS1 here again with limited info but figured I'd share. Disclaimer: I don't have any insider admissions info:

FB group currently has >145 people (i.e., the normal class size). There is, of course, a number of us in that group that are *NOT* part of the incoming class (current students, admissions staff, etc.). Moreover, I'd bet that a lot of people that ultimately decided to go elsewhere simply haven't taken the time to remove themselves from the group. That said, there has been movement on it as far as people leaving and joining - this includes several new people that came in to the group this week. Granted, that doesn't necessarily mean they were just now accepted, but its safe to assume there's been movement. I can definitely tell you that a number of people dropped at the decision deadline.

Morale of the story: Movements already happening, and will definitely continue to happen. Plenty of reason to be hopeful. On the opposite side of that spectrum, however, there's probably more than the 100 people currently in the GroupMe. I know that I (as well as many others) didn't personally join my class' Groupme until I was in Albany about to start orientation.

On another note since I think someone asked: Rumblings from administration have been that we will likeely be back in person in some capacity by late July when we start up second year. Odds are that there won't be mandatory large group lectures (if they're even held at all), but that we will be returning to having our small groups for longitudinal and primary themes. The number of people in each group may be reduced, but it's something. What that means for you all, I am not sure. But I'd have faith they'll find a way to make your transition as smooth as possible.

With Anatomy specifically: they've had time to work on the virtual format - which hasn't necessarily been bad for us. There's definitely a missing element, but it's a huge time saver not having to spend hours dissecting. Moreover, you won't start dissections until Musculoskeletal, which starts in September. So there's theoretically time for things to shape up before then.

Hope this helps - rooting for y'all!

Reactions: 7 users
MS1 here again with limited info but figured I'd share. Disclaimer: I don't have any insider admissions info:

FB group currently has >145 people (i.e., the normal class size). There is, of course, a number of us in that group that are *NOT* part of the incoming class (current students, admissions staff, etc.). Moreover, I'd bet that a lot of people that ultimately decided to go elsewhere simply haven't taken the time to remove themselves from the group. That said, there has been movement on it as far as people leaving and joining - this includes several new people that came in to the group this week. Granted, that doesn't necessarily mean they were just now accepted, but its safe to assume there's been movement. I can definitely tell you that a number of people dropped at the decision deadline.

Morale of the story: Movements already happening, and will definitely continue to happen. Plenty of reason to be hopeful. On the opposite side of that spectrum, however, there's probably more than the 100 people currently in the GroupMe. I know that I (as well as many others) didn't personally join my class' Groupme until I was in Albany about to start orientation.

On another note since I think someone asked: Rumblings from administration have been that we will likeely be back in person in some capacity by late July when we start up second year. Odds are that there won't be mandatory large group lectures (if they're even held at all), but that we will be returning to having our small groups for longitudinal and primary themes. The number of people in each group may be reduced, but it's something. What that means for you all, I am not sure. But I'd have faith they'll find a way to make your transition as smooth as possible.

With Anatomy specifically: they've had time to work on the virtual format - which hasn't necessarily been bad for us. There's definitely a missing element, but it's a huge time saver not having to spend hours dissecting. Moreover, you won't start dissections until Musculoskeletal, which starts in September. So there's theoretically time for things to shape up before then.

Hope this helps - rooting for y'all!
Thank you for this!! Do you know how many people are typically placed on the WL and how many got off of it your class?

M1 here, don't wanna provide false hope but I received my acceptance in July, so it's not over till it's over.

Reactions: 3 users
M1 here, don't wanna provide false hope but I received my acceptance in July, so it's not over till it's over.

How did you go about finding a place to live and moving in less than a month? That is insane.

How did you go about finding a place to live and moving in less than a month? That is insane.
My PI in college said that they had a student in the ‘90s that got into AMC off the waitlist a week before school started. So they had one week to move from Oregon to New York. He just threw his stuff in his car, started driving, and worried about finding a place to live when he got to Albany. I don’t know how you could do such a thing in the pre-internet era.

My PI in college said that they had a student in the ‘90s that got into AMC off the waitlist a week before school started. So they had one week to move from Oregon to New York. He just threw his stuff in his car, started driving, and worried about finding a place to live when he got to Albany. I don’t know how you could do such a thing in the pre-internet era.

Same with CMU....I was told of an applicant who had given up on the admissions process, she went on vacation to Italy in July, then got an acceptance........WHILE OVER SEAS! Let’s just say that anything is possible...don’t give up....trust yourself....be positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Granted, I’ll be moving to Europe if I don’t get in off any waitlists so...that probably will be a little more hectic than moving to another state...
yeah but also imagine signing a lease, starting school with your classmates then being like, well that's a wrap here, pay the 8k lease breaking fee, dipping out on your classmates and moving across the country lmao. NY is on the opposite coast of where i will be attending school.. Europe might be slightly closer than i am to NY.

edit: but lets not compare whos gonna have a more hectic time. it also depends on how one copes with stress. one may easily pick up and move if it comes to it while another person whos in the same situation might have a panic attack.

yeah but also imagine signing a lease, starting school with your classmates then being like, well that's a wrap here, pay the 8k lease breaking fee, dipping out on your classmates and moving across the country lmao. NY is on the opposite coast of where i will be attending school.. Europe might be slightly closer than i am to NY.

edit: but lets not compare whos gonna have a more hectic time. it also depends on how one copes with stress. one may easily pick up and move if it comes to it while another person whos in the same situation might have a panic attack.
Can you stay in an airbnb for a few months and not sign a lease at your DO school until like September?

Edit: not trying to derail this thread completely, oops

Can you stay in an airbnb for a few months and not sign a lease at your DO school until like September?

Edit: not trying to derail this thread completely, oops
airbnbs can be a little hectic and once September comes, most of the places I'm looking at are probably gonna be taken up. and also, thinking about moving stuff like furniture while school is happening is gonna give me a headache.

• Sad
Fyi, there has been movement. A few new members joined the FB page

I think today. They already have our ranking from our MMI performances. All they need to do is set the new threshold and voila! Everyone that meets that threshold is accepted. That will happen around 5pm as we seen AMC is not shy about sending emails late in the afternoon. You heard it here first.
Looks like my prophecy was true after all. It’s a shame that the active users here haven’t received an A from AMC. Wish you the best!

It was pretty insane, but admissions is pretty nice and sends you a listing of local housing options. So I just used that.

Damn y'all didn't say anything on this thread today hahaha. I come on here to just be part of the anxiety!

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Damn y'all didn't say anything on this thread today hahaha. I come on here to just be part of the anxiety!

My anxiety is directly correlated to my level of hope so...very little hope = what is there to post and complain about lol

Thank you, trident_gum :love:

Last edited:
i know i said today is the day like 2 days ago.. BUT

TOMORROW IS THE DAY!! :)

I just withdrew from the alternate list because I was accepted off the waitlist at another school. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 13 users
Hey guys, I got accepted to another school and will be withdrawing my Albany acceptance soon.

Goodluck to everyone waiting to hear back!!

Reactions: 12 users
Hey guys, I got accepted to another school and will be withdrawing my Albany acceptance soon.

Goodluck to everyone waiting to hear back!!
Y’all who are getting accepted elsewhere are true saints! Best of luck to you!

Just got accepted to my top choice and will get to start med school with my long-time girlfriend!!! Keep faith! I will be withdrawing my AL spot from here ASAP. I hope you guys get the call/email soon. You guys kept me a little more sane these past few weeks :)

• Love
Reactions: 16 users