-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Albany
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
II today! OOS, LM 66ish, I can't remember when I hit that submit button, maybe around August 12?
Great stuff! Congrats [emoji87][emoji85] did u receive an email or did u check ur portal btw? [emoji5]
Great stuff! Congrats [emoji87][emoji85] did u receive an email or did u check ur portal btw? [emoji5]
Email!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Update - emailed them yesterday, they said they sent me one almost 2 weeks ago but they would resend it. there must be something weird happening with their system since the same thing has happened to others on here.Email them, I was verified early August and emailed last week. They sent me a secondary the next day
EDIT: My main reason for doing so was this thread. Other people contacted Albany and found out that they had been sent a secondary already, but it had gotten lost somewhere so it was resent.
alwaysnice
Full Member
I don't think soDoes Albany select for an interest in rural medicine?
you didn't get one yet? call them right now. don't email this school's system is not up to date, they didn't send me anything until I calledI'm a little worried bc I just submitted AMCAS to this school..I'm hoping once they are farther along in the cycle they send secondaries within a week...
Did you receive the complete email first then complete by yourself? Mine is blackout I am not able to click the completeYou're not alone LOL
Did you receive the complete email first then complete by yourself? Mine is blackout I am not able to click the complete
I got an email like a week after I submitted my secondary that told me I needed to complete my application because I hadn't clicked the "complete." I clicked it and now the portal says my app is ready for review, but I haven't received any email saying that my file is complete.
How long after paying did it take for your app to process so you could press complete
How did everyone start their "describe yourself" essay? Is starting with something like "I'm x foot y inches, z pounds, [insert race and gender]" too superficial?
I started by listing a few identities that are important to me and talked about their significance in my personal journey. (disclaimer: I don't have an II here, but this is how I started some of my diversity essays as well at schools where I did receive IIs)How did everyone start their "describe yourself" essay? Is starting with something like "I'm x foot y inches, z pounds, [insert race and gender]" too superficial?
How did everyone start their "describe yourself" essay? Is starting with something like "I'm x foot y inches, z pounds, [insert race and gender]" too superficial?
Ambidextrous Virgo who enjoys long walks on the beach and hates drama llamas.
achilles0619
Full Member
I don't think they are looking for a physical description haha focus on your personality and accomplishmentsHow did everyone start their "describe yourself" essay? Is starting with something like "I'm x foot y inches, z pounds, [insert race and gender]" too superficial?
Lol what? Don’t over think it. Imagine you are being asked this question at an interview. You wouldn’t start talking about your height...How did everyone start their "describe yourself" essay? Is starting with something like "I'm x foot y inches, z pounds, [insert race and gender]" too superficial?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"Six foot, one inch. Those are two separate measurements, by the way."Lol what? Don’t over think it. Imagine you are being asked this question at an interview. You wouldn’t start talking about your height...
How did everyone start their "describe yourself" essay? Is starting with something like "I'm x foot y inches, z pounds, [insert race and gender]" too superficial?
and so the pack thins...
Wow that was mean.and so the pack thins...
Is Albany going in order?
Is Albany going in order?
I think its fair to say for all schools that no one is going in order. No school is saying "June 28th, 10:34:51AM..... deny...... June 28th, 10:37:23.... deny"
Theres different piles for different categories im sure that's all weighted differently. Your best hope is that it goes by complete date within those piles.
How did everyone start their "describe yourself" essay? Is starting with something like "I'm x foot y inches, z pounds, [insert race and gender]" too superficial?
I focused on just one trait that I really wanted AMC to know about.
and so the pack thins...
What?
He's saying that your answer was bad enough that it would get you rejected, thus thinning the pack.That's why i said it was mean.What?
He's saying that your answer was bad enough that it would get you rejected, thus thinning the pack.That's why i said it was mean.
Lol I said “start off.” I wasn’t going to list more stuff like idk eye color and blood type. It was just so they can get an image of what I physically look like
D
deleted850233
If anyone is interviewing on the 9/4 and wants to meet up the day before or something hmu 🙂
D
deleted971841
So I'm not interviewing that day but I do live/work here, if you (or anyone else coming into town a day early) want any recommendations for nearby food, I've got you.If anyone is interviewing on the 9/4 and wants to meet up the day before or something hmu 🙂
D
deleted850233
Haha sounds marvelousSo I'm not interviewing that day but I do live/work here, if you (or anyone else coming into town a day early) want any recommendations for nearby food, I've got you.
cabbagefacts1
Full Member
So I'm not interviewing that day but I do live/work here, if you (or anyone else coming into town a day early) want any recommendations for nearby food, I've got you.
Haha anything good that’s walking distance from the medical center?
D
deleted971841
Oh absolutely! If by chance you’re staying at the Hilton across the street there’s several options.Haha anything good that’s walking distance from the medical center?
1. Recovery room is downstairs if you don’t really care.
2. Chipotle is down the street
3. There’s Bellini’s Counter which is salads and pastas, in a concept like chipotle where you go down the row adding whatever you want and pay at the end of the counter. Very good, highly recommend for a quick $10-$14 meal.
4. There’s also a sushi restaurant, a few bars, and a much nicer restaurant (tiny menu, pretty expensive, but owned by a friend and very good) a few blocks in the other direction.
Recovery room has happy hour deals 4-7pm and 9-11pm at the bar on weekdays where at the bar you can have 4 dollar apps and 2 dollar beer pours. Albany Ale/Oyster is a tad pricey but quality, Graney’s is late night dive bar atmosphere.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can albany accept me just so I can get 2 dollar beer pours!
I am so beyond stuck on the "Tell us ONE thing about yourself" question. Is this just asking like what's one thing from their mission, vision and values that you would bring to the school?? I already talked about my background in the "describe yourself" question, but i really don't know how to go about a question that says you can only talk about ONE thing lol
A short diversity essay should suffice. Don’t over think itI am so beyond stuck on the "Tell us ONE thing about yourself" question. Is this just asking like what's one thing from their mission, vision and values that you would bring to the school?? I already talked about my background in the "describe yourself" question, but i really don't know how to go about a question that says you can only talk about ONE thing lol
My describe yourself answer was a diversity essay lolA short diversity essay should suffice. Don’t over think it
Can any AMC students give some insight on opportunities to get involved with the communities around Albany? I know the service learning curriculum has a ton of organizations to get involved with but I wanted to know if there was anything outside of that curriculum? Thanks!
We reference the Service Learning a lot because those are easy to get involved with, have 80ish projects that are ongoing. Students are allowed to do as much of service learning as they want, A lot of us do individual outside of school projects that we are interested in other than service learning. For example, students interested in activism can’t adjoin VOCAL and NYCLU for activism or lobbying interests. We have speakers from our ethics class and public health classes also come in and talk about opportunities with the community. We help out with first aid at different 5k events, and volunteer at community block parties.Can any AMC students give some insight on opportunities to get involved with the communities around Albany? I know the service learning curriculum has a ton of organizations to get involved with but I wanted to know if there was anything outside of that curriculum? Thanks!
Does anyone know the turnaround time for albany to give decisions to II's?
Does anyone know the turnaround time for albany to give decisions to II's?
It's variable. I received my II a few weeks after submitting my secondary mid-August, was waitlisted in November and accepted very late in the cycle. Other people interviewed in March and were accepted a few weeks later at the April 30th deadline.
achilles0619
Full Member
For anyone who had their interview already do we need to bring any paperwork or things besides an ID to the interview? I know we submitted a photo online but I wasn't sure if we should bring one with AMCAS ID on the back or not. Thanks in advance for your help!
Our first interviews are this week but I don’t remember needing anything.For anyone who had their interview already do we need to bring any paperwork or things besides an ID to the interview? I know we submitted a photo online but I wasn't sure if we should bring one with AMCAS ID on the back or not. Thanks in advance for your help!
achilles0619
Full Member
Ah sorry I didn't realize they hadn't started yet! Mine is on Thursday so I will update if we did in fact need to bring anything hahaOur first interviews are this week but I don’t remember needing anything.
D
deleted971841
Oh god I’m Thursday too. Tell me you’re as nervous as I am. AhahaAh sorry I didn't realize they hadn't started yet! Mine is on Thursday so I will update if we did in fact need to bring anything haha
achilles0619
Full Member
Absolutely terrified. Feel free to PM me if you would like to wallow with me lolOh god I’m Thursday too. Tell me you’re as nervous as I am. Ahaha
We reference the Service Learning a lot because those are easy to get involved with, have 80ish projects that are ongoing. Students are allowed to do as much of service learning as they want, A lot of us do individual outside of school projects that we are interested in other than service learning. For example, students interested in activism can’t adjoin VOCAL and NYCLU for activism or lobbying interests. We have speakers from our ethics class and public health classes also come in and talk about opportunities with the community. We help out with first aid at different 5k events, and volunteer at community block parties.
Thanks so much, this sounds great! Couldn’t find much about all of that based off the website alone, so this is very helpful!
Does anyone know if Albany is receptive to ITAs?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
uclabruin1919
Full Member
Anyone who interviewed this week wanna share some insight as to how it went overall? Any tips? Interviewing soon, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
uclabruin1919
Full Member
Anyone who interviewed this week wanna share some insight as to how it went overall? Any tips? Interviewing soon, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Med.School.Hopeful
Full Member
Not sure what an ITA is, but if it's an interview accommodation request, I don't think it would hurt to ask admissions so long as the request is reasonable.
ITA is in the area request.
summersun1
Full Member
Has anyone ever rescheduled an interview here? I have already received an email from my airline that flight cancellations are likely this week in my area due to Hurricane Dorian.